Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

splifyphus posted:

I'm looking through my list to see what mods I can recommend, and one that's not in the OP yet is the Excellent Racials Package. Basically triples all the powers/abilities that each race gets, making them all much more interesting and unique. None of them have felt terribly overpowered to me as of yet, but I'm only running two characters right now, an Orc and an Argonian.
I took a look at the description. Seems pretty interesting. How often do NPCs use their racial abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm considering a playthrough in "roguelike" or "hardcore" mode, where I only use one save, never reload it because of something bad happening, and it's 'game over' if I die. I think it would be rather interesting in Skyrim.

Could anyone recommend mods tailored towards, or appropriate for, that kind of gameplay experience?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does anyone know of something that repositions the way axes, war hammers and staves are carried on the back? There's a whole class of weapons I won't use because it looks so drat silly having the handle sticking out two feet above my head.

You need NifSkope and an extracted skeleton mesh that should hang around in Meshes\actor\characters\character assets. It's a .nif file.

Basically you just find the right ball and then tweak the Translation and Rotation coordinates that place it in 3D space.

I used it to tone down the size and huge gorilla arms that normally come with the "buff beast people" thing and also moved back the "shield on back" node from another mod so it doesn't clip with the knapsack from Frostfall. If it's any reassurance, I know literally nothing about Bethesda modding or 3D modeling and I could still just feel my way around this thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SplitSoul posted:

If this actually does what it says it does, it sounds pretty cool. Supposedly makes high uGridsToLoad settings more stable and allows you to unfuck your savegames if you encounter problems.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/41592/

It sounds like it still has some bugs to be ironed out but if it turns out good this is up there with the 4GB patch and the ENB stability mod.

But jesus, ugrids=13? By that point wouldn't the issue less be your view distance but cells loading out of sight and causing all sorts of bizarre quest scripting and encounter errors?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So I was wondering, has anyone made a mod that makes high quality armor and weapon sets... uhh, better? Like, y'know how Stalhrim has that bonus to frost enchantments? I was thinking of something similar to that for Glass/Ebony/Daedric gear. Like a bonus to fire enchantments for Daedric or something a bit more imaginative.

Not dragon stuff though, like I know it needs 100 Smith and a Perk, but on the other hand it's way easier to find the stuff you need and craft it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Brony Hunter posted:

What's your mod load order?
So, after tinkering with the loading order for a bit, it turns out Spike/Immersive mode were innocent. Thunderchild is so powerfull it'll make my game CTD <.< Apocalypse works fine, though. Maybe it's an interaction with Sperg? I've got no other mod that influences shouts even remotely, I think.

My loading order so far is:

HD texture pack (official) 1,2,3
Unofficial Patch
SkyUI
Spike
Immersive Armor
Immersive Weapons
Reduced distance NPC greetings
Apocalypse
Thunderchild
Sperg (esm then esp)

I've tried moving Thunderchild around blindly, but no luck. BOSS couldn't help either (I was ordering my mods with BOSS yesterday). Any idea? I'd really like to shut down the sun :black101:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Any idea? I'd really like to shut down the sun :black101:
Do you have the DLC? Thunderchild requires both Dawnguard and Dragonborn.
You can also try grabbing TES5Edit, have it process your loadorder and see if it spits out any errors.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Raygereio posted:

Do you have the DLC? Thunderchild requires both Dawnguard and Dragonborn.
You can also try grabbing TES5Edit, have it process your loadorder and see if it spits out any errors.

Ah, here we go. No I've only got the base game! Problem solved!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah, here we go. No I've only got the base game! Problem solved!
Read the description and/or readme of mods before installing them.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
From the OP:

ENB is a tool that lets you apply additional effects on top of Direct3D games. It is the biggest game changers in terms of skyrim visual modding. The latest versions of ENB also incorporate a workaround for Skyrim's 3.1 GB Memory Hard Limit, thanks to a hack created by Boris. The really cool thing about this workaround is that you don't need to have ENB enabled to do so.

I was curious about the bolded part, and I found this on the nexus, which appears to be what the OP is referring to, "CTD and Memory patch ENBoost": http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38649/

What I'm not clear on, is whether this can be used while you're already using a different ENB. I'm currently using the performance version of Realvision ENB. I think the ENB version for that is older than what is required for the linked file. Can you install both despite that? That would mean having 2 different ENB versions installed. That doesn't sound like something that can be done to me, but I'm fairly new to the ENB stuff. If that's not possible, can one still use a different (newer) ENB preset at the same time as the linked file? Can anyone clarify?

Edit: Maybe the linked file isn't what the OP is referring to. Boris's explanation is somewhat hard to understand on the site...

Madrox fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 5, 2013

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
You need at least 0.195 for the new memory features to function. You can try to use an ENB preset that uses an older version, but your actual ENB needs to be 0.195. Doing so might make your stuff look messed up, though.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So the last time I played Skyrim was like 1.5 years ago or so. I've never played any of the DLC, although I bought it, so I'm ready to do that now. I downloaded SKSE, SkyUI, the unofficial patches, and some other random mods that add armor and cloaks and poo poo.

My question is, is there a mod that allows you to respec (re-perk?) your character or something fairly easily? I know there are technically console commands if you want to do something like that, but I don't.

I get alt-itis really easily because I always want to try a new type of playstyle, but if I have to restart one more time, run through that keep, do the first few starting quests, start on the whiterun quests etc etc I will just give up and stop playing. If I decide to try a different playstyle I'd rather just do it on one character without being gimped because I put all my points in stealth and now I want to try 2-handers and heavy armor. Is there anything that might help me with this?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Clocks posted:

So the last time I played Skyrim was like 1.5 years ago or so. I've never played any of the DLC, although I bought it, so I'm ready to do that now. I downloaded SKSE, SkyUI, the unofficial patches, and some other random mods that add armor and cloaks and poo poo.

My question is, is there a mod that allows you to respec (re-perk?) your character or something fairly easily? I know there are technically console commands if you want to do something like that, but I don't.

I get alt-itis really easily because I always want to try a new type of playstyle, but if I have to restart one more time, run through that keep, do the first few starting quests, start on the whiterun quests etc etc I will just give up and stop playing. If I decide to try a different playstyle I'd rather just do it on one character without being gimped because I put all my points in stealth and now I want to try 2-handers and heavy armor. Is there anything that might help me with this?

Pick up SPERG and go get Live Another Life as well. The former is an overhaul of the perks/skills/leveling system and the latter lets you skip the Helgen intro and gives you various starting options allowing you to skip the Helgen intro.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
SPERG includes a way to get perks back. If you wanted to overdo it you could install SPERG and then disable every skill tree and feature, but I'd recommend getting it because SPERG is pretty fun.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You also get the ability to reset one perk tree for a dragon soul in Dragonborn.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh, I should have mentioned that I never even finished the storyline and always ended up rerolling after awhile (which caused me to burn out) and that I didn't want to install any major overhauls for the game, because I still want to go through and experience it without getting into crazy game-changing mods.

That said, people here seem to really like SPERG and the first post says it's more of an awesome addition than a complete overhaul so I'll try those suggestions out. I'd rather be able to at least play through Skyrim rather than burn out again.

vvvvv that's true. Well, SPERG sounds really cool given what I've read up on it, so I'll try it out. And I'll get Live Another Life because drat if I go through the helgen keep one more time. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 5, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If you've played a Skyrim character past level 10 or so, you will have experienced the things that SPERG changes for the better.

Boo dumbass "+10% damage with thing, rank 1/5" stuff that encourages maxing out single trees, yay unique effects and benefits that play in tandem with other skills.

Akalies
May 31, 2000
I'm going through and putting together a Texture Pack Combiner 1.95b compilation for my own use, and I'm trying to stick to around 2k and lower textures. Would there be interest in a completed torrent when I'm done? Or would you folks prefer just having the hard-to-find mods made available?

I was going to just offer up the mods in their individual archives, but recent updates have caused TPC to wig out unless they're hand placed. :(

Also, speaking of SPERG - has anyone found a compatible way to keep the default Wards and buff up their effectiveness? I'm tempted to make a spell sword, but I really prefer the behavior of default wards over SPERG's bound shield. I think the original ward effect is pretty neat, and I like the benefit of being able to attack while 'blocking' that it offers. I've seen a few Ward mods, but I'm not sure how well they would play with SPERG.

Edit: Looks like Alluvion's re-auth system is broken. Does anyone know of a fix or alternative that'd be A. Private B. Not related to :filez:?

Akalies fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 5, 2013

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Clocks posted:

And I'll get Live Another Life because drat if I go through the helgen keep one more time. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
You will not regret it. On my newest character I decided to start in the Thieves Guild. I finished the entire Thieves Guild before I even started the main quest or did a single side quest and it was fun on a bun. Now the man discovered to be the Dragonborn is a lifelong thief who will face much more than he has ever seen...

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I want to get rid of some mods because they're either redundant (Dragonbone weapons) or I'm just not a fan (Midas Magic, cool but not my thing), will this gently caress over my save game if I have anything for the mod on me, in a chest or something like that? Is there anything I can do to "clean" my save or something like that?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

scamtank posted:

If you've played a Skyrim character past level 10 or so, you will have experienced the things that SPERG changes for the better.

Boo dumbass "+10% damage with thing, rank 1/5" stuff that encourages maxing out single trees, yay unique effects and benefits that play in tandem with other skills.
Yes, discovering the fortification perk for Alchemy that actually makes leather and fur armor useful is magical experience for me. How useful is this for armor at higher levels of both alchemy and light armor skills?

This is also the first game that I've really tried using alchemy and it seems to level up rather slowly. :ohdear:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Inverness posted:

Yes, discovering the fortification perk for Alchemy that actually makes leather and fur armor useful is magical experience for me. How useful is this for armor at higher levels of both alchemy and light armor skills?

This is also the first game that I've really tried using alchemy and it seems to level up rather slowly. :ohdear:

Alch is like anything else, leveling is based on the value of the potion made. Stuff like damage magicka regen are usually my bread and butter leveling pots. Using potions also gives experience with SPERG, so experiment and guzzle those pots. I always forget to use them and then have a bloated potion collection that is weighing me down.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Inverness posted:

SPERGs uncapper ini actually slows Alchemy leveling by 10% by default since most people find it levels way too fast apparently (I find Alchemy in Skyrim to be too much of a pain to bother with personally). You can bump it up in the ini if you want.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Might regret asking later when im less tired, but what do i do with Rayg_ShutUpMirmulnir.esp? Where does it go? Using Skyrim mod Organizer and my brain is drawing blanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Load it after the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm too dense right now to even figure out how to get it loaded so i can sort it out in that list.

Sorry, 'prolly not helping myself. I have it downloaded, where do i go from here? Its not a zip file so i cant just up and use the archive installer.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Shadowmorn posted:

I'm too dense right now to even figure out how to get it loaded so i can sort it out in that list.

Sorry, 'prolly not helping myself. I have it downloaded, where do i go from here? Its not a zip file so i cant just up and use the archive installer.

Easiest way to do it is just dump it in your skyrim data folder. Then it'll show up in your mod manager of choice, where you pick how it loads and whether it's enabled or not.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I'm new to modding (not very knowledgeable) and having trouble figuring out how to install BOSS and Thunderchild using Mod Organizer.

1) With Boss, I see an installer file and an archive file. I have downloaded both on my desktop, but not done anything with either. Do I just run the installer and that's it? Or is there something I am supposed to do with the Boss archive zip file?

With Thunderchild, I tried to download directly to MO via the built in Nexus browser. It downoloads as a zip file and when I double click to install, I get an error message and am unable to install.

For both mods, I tried to look for instructions, readme files, etc. but have not seen anything that answers my questions (Apologies if I overlooked something). I also tried google and youtube for install advice, but I haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kaebora posted:

Easiest way to do it is just dump it in your skyrim data folder. Then it'll show up in your mod manager of choice, where you pick how it loads and whether it's enabled or not.

Thanks, that did the job.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

SPERGs uncapper ini actually slows Alchemy leveling by 10% by default since most people find it levels way too fast apparently (I find Alchemy in Skyrim to be too much of a pain to bother with personally). You can bump it up in the ini if you want.
Man, how can you not bother with Alchemy? I find it to be the 100% easiest way to completely loving DESTROY the game economy. Once you can sell potions to any kind of merchant, congrats gold no longer matters.

I guess I could see someone not wanting to be picking up ingredients all over the place, but I love catching butterflies!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kaebora posted:

No no no no do not do this, especially with mods that have loose files, it is a surefire way to gently caress up your Skyrim install if you don't do it properly.

With Mod Organizer, there's a button at the top left for installing mods. It lets you choose where your mod is, and from there you can install it. Alternatively, there is an NCC plugin for MO that will act as a proxy for the Nexus Website allowing you do download the mods themselves through MO. From there it's as simple as double clicking the downloaded mods to install them.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I used Live Another Life a while back and really liked it but got sort of scared out of using it since it apparently could screw up your game way down the line (even though I had no issues, myself).

Was that all just bullshit or did it get fixed or what? Just a little curious seeing so many people readily recommending it when I sort of remember a lot of people saying to be careful with it in the previous thread.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

wodan22 posted:

I'm new to modding (not very knowledgeable) and having trouble figuring out how to install BOSS and Thunderchild using Mod Organizer.

I'm not familiar with Thunderchild, but what does the error say? As far as Boss the best way is to extract the archive into a sub-directory in MO. So put in in something like C:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer\BOSS v2.1.1 Archive\ and then in MO click the binaries tab (pull down list of applications next to the Run button), and hit edit. Point it towards Boss.exe and hit Add, and then ok. Use the pull down to select boss, and hit run. Switch it back to run Skyrim or whatever to run other programs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Witchfinder General posted:

I used Live Another Life a while back and really liked it but got sort of scared out of using it since it apparently could screw up your game way down the line (even though I had no issues, myself).

Was that all just bullshit or did it get fixed or what? Just a little curious seeing so many people readily recommending it when I sort of remember a lot of people saying to be careful with it in the previous thread.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited#The_First_Steps Just modify Live Another Life with the instructions in here. There's a few mod conflicts, so if you use Guard Dialogue Overhaul or Realistic Lighting Overhaul you'll wanna fix it up.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Apoplexy posted:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited#The_First_Steps Just modify Live Another Life with the instructions in here. There's a few mod conflicts, so if you use Guard Dialogue Overhaul or Realistic Lighting Overhaul you'll wanna fix it up.
I use em both, thanks. Game didn't crash on startup so hopefully all went well.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I feel lucky cause I don't use any mod managers, just dump everything into the data folder, and have never had any problems.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cams posted:

I feel lucky cause I don't use any mod managers, just dump everything into the data folder, and have never had any problems.

...that you know about :twisted:

That can work if you're only using a minimalist mod setup, but start putting more in and you will run into problems later. Bethesda engines are tricky little buggers and all sorts of funky stuff can be screwing up in the background where you can't see it.

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to seorin for SPERG! Finally got around to trying it out and I'm a convert. Great stuff so far.

Also Scyantific, did you ever get a chance to look at the M'aiq problem in opulent robes?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

What does making a perk Legendary with SPERG do?

EDIT: Oh, this is a feature added to the game, not a SPERG feature. I had not maxed out a skill since this was possible.

cams fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 6, 2013

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

cams posted:

This can work if you never need to uninstall mods at any point.

If you are the type of man who knows what he wants and nothing more there wouldn't be any problem since 99% of mods are just that, dropping things into the data folder, but unless you don't have a lot of mods to begin with cleaning everything up could go sideways pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Gilg posted:

Hate to add another bug report for SPERG, but besides the Locksmith perk not seeming to work for me, Soul Scavenger is giving me nothing but Greater or higher souls, even on regular skeletons, draugr, and wolves. The only mod I can think of that might effect it is the Smart Souls SKSE plugin I use.

I'll check both things out, though I'm guessing the latter bug is either a weird conflict or just Skyrim being weird. That perk is one of many perks that read your game settings whenever you load your game (because any script modifications are reset on game load), so it always tries to 'know' what your settings are from any installed mods, not just assume the default values. Then, it modifies those settings via a script. Its modification is dirt simple in that it just drops everything down a tier. Lesser soul gets set to 1, common gets set to whatever your default lesser soul setting was, greater gets set to common, etc. So either something is modifying those default settings to a weird value, or Skyrim is spawning very high level skeletons and such. Either is possible, really.

I suppose it's also possible that somehow your game is remembering the script settings on game load. That always seemed like one of those things that shouldn't work the way it does, so it wouldn't surprise me if in some cases it works differently. If this were the case, it would be lowering everything by another tier on game load.

Akalies posted:

Also, speaking of SPERG - has anyone found a compatible way to keep the default Wards and buff up their effectiveness? I'm tempted to make a spell sword, but I really prefer the behavior of default wards over SPERG's bound shield. I think the original ward effect is pretty neat, and I like the benefit of being able to attack while 'blocking' that it offers. I've seen a few Ward mods, but I'm not sure how well they would play with SPERG.

SPERG doesn't edit the vanilla wards, so if you use any mod that changes them, it'll work fine with SPERG. Just turn SPERG's wards off, obviously.

Inverness posted:

Fortifier benefits leather/fur armor similar to how the left side of the smithing tree benefits other low level armor types. It won't make leather suddenly become daedric quality, but it should make it good enough that you can hit the armor cap without too much trouble. It's just there to give you more gearing options if you happen to like the way a certain style of armor looks. From what I remember in my testing, it's pretty competitive with glass. I think the cuirass alone might actually be superior to glass, but the Matching Set perk makes a whole suit of glass better than a whole suit of leather. Either way, they're pretty close.

For leveling alchemy, the best way is to make expensive potions. There are guides out there that describe which effects are most expensive, so you just target ingredients with those effects and alchemy goes up like crazy.

• Locked thread