Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Another thing about Burd which confused me: The Twilight power, where it says "half cost". Since I can't find any other reference in the book to half cost, I'm interpreting it as "it becomes night and therefore the transformation cost has the +2 modifier for nighttime. In addition, as a special exception to the rules, powers have half the usual cost for the duration of the scene." But I could imagine that perhaps a previous revision of the rules had variant costs depending on the time of day and this is a relic of that.

Can you set my mind at ease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ewen Cluney posted:

The major concern with having more characters is that the point totals can get out of whack, which can happen even with 4 players, especially if you have 3-4 NPCs. If you don't mind the PCs having lots of points then you don't need to do anything. I've considered stuff like bumping up the cost in Dreams for boosting a connection, or having some players be humans or some such, but haven't had a chance to try it.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of GSS to exclude someone. I reduced starting Dreams and Feelings by 1 each scene in my first session, but bumping up Dreams might also be useful. Right now the players probably aren't tossing enough Dreams around anyway, so it hasn't been a big issue yet. The only person I really struggled to get active things to do is the person I always struggle with engaging, so it was more of a group issue than a game issue.

Ewen Cluney posted:

My experience is that players tend to not give a lot of Dreams to the Narrator, but at worst that means they don't have quite as many points.

Yeah, it's a self-solving issue in its way.

Ewen Cluney posted:

You get threads from all connections, regardless of their strength, even if you left them at the starting amount.

Ah, alright. People were a bit confused as to how threads worked (and why you don't just bump up the Connections with other PCs instead of the whole threads business as far as how other PCs go).

Ewen Cluney posted:

For my part I treat a bird henge's ability to fly as something they can do naturally if they're in an appropriate form, but using the power lets them fly in any form that has wings, and gives them the mechanical benefits of the power.

Yeah, that's how I was running it exactly, so that works out well enough.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, apparently I had the GSS PDF sitting on my hard drive all this time (from an RPG bundle I bought a while ago) and I only just realized it. I'm a huge sucker for pastoral Japanese settings and the works of Miyazaki, so this seems exactly my cup of tea. Can't wait to show this to my friends so we can give it a shot. Between all the dragon-killing games I play and run this seems like it'd be a nice departure. It's pure distilled :3:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is it alright to bring this thread back from the dead? Hopefully. Anyway, I'm running a Golden Sky Stories game this weekend with some of my Japanese TRPG friends, and I've whipped up a scenario I call 'Sunset in Wonderland' where the players are all Alice's pets and they fall into Wonderland with her. Since these guys are really good at GSS from my previous times as GM, I'm limiting them to only making connections with each other and Alice in this scenario. In context I'd say the Wonderland denizens are too zany to forge meaningful normal relationships with them. The players have to use their wits and a little magic to guide Alice through the various hazards of the strange land, as well as to uncover its mysteries. If they cannot understand the strange logic of Wonderland by the end, they may just never make it home again.

If it goes over well I think I'll run an English version of it here, see what happens.

And since Ewen mentioned Utakaze fairly early on in the thread I'd just like to put in a second-hand two-cents about it from the local TRPG club leader, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of all Japanese TRPGs (and most English ones). He told me not to buy it based on the cover because 'It's just D&D, only instead of the normal races you're little fairy folks. You will brutally murder monsters to death just like you do in any sword&sorcery game. Despite its cover it is nothing like Ryuutama or GSS. There are no cute or heartwarming mechanics. It's just the art.'

Though, that said he also mentioned that it is insanely easy to pick up and play, so it's kind of like a 'Baby's First D&D', or a game you can play with friends who aren't into heavier games who will be pulled in by the cutesy art.

• Locked thread