Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yeah, the Kickstarter was pretty intense, but it was pretty awesome to find that so many people are willing to give a non-violent RPG a chance. (Also, the fact that companies that can do Kickstarter fulfillment exist is going to make my life so much easier you have no idea.)

For my part I've mainly been wrangling graphic design and writing stuff, both to be ready to get stuff printed and to push ahead on the PDF bonus stuff. I finished my first draft of Faerie Skies (the alternate setting where you play fairies in a town in the English countryside) and started on Fantasy Friends, which is basically GSS set in a village in a D&D/Dragon Quest type fantasy world. It's going to be quite weird, but being able to play as a friendly, heartwarming beholder or gelatinous cube is going to be kind of amazing. (One more setting like this and I'll have made as many GSS character types as the original designer.) Other stuff is coming together too, including adventure scenarios and other fun stuff.

For other heartwarming games, I'm going to take the opportunity to pimp my game Adventures of the Space Patrol. It's a cute retro sci-fi RPG that while not wholly nonviolent takes a lot of inspiration from GSS and aims to be heartwarming. I recently posted up a new playtest draft, a result of updating its custom Fate hack with a bunch of pieces of Fate Accelerated Edition. GSS is one of those games that I'm also excited about for what other games might come about from its influence.

There's also Ryuutama (forthcoming from Kotodama Heavy Industries), and I recently found out about a new Japanese RPG called Utakaze. I don't know much about it, but I'm definitely planning to find out more. The description on the R&R blog mentions that it's about tiny heroes protecting their home from evil spirits, and, well, look at the cover:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

DalaranJ posted:

As a nonbacker, I badly need to know when GSS will be available to me. Sounds like some time this month or the next (if everything is on schedule)?
I'm hoping to get the core book PDF up for sale really soon, though there are a couple things for it beyond my control so like everything else it's taking longer than I'd like. We're a bit behind schedule for printing (surprising nobody who's backed an RPG Kickstarter before), but we're getting close to being ready to go to print, so while September is looking unrealistic, it's not too far off. The success of the Kickstarter was really gratifying, but it's also been a learning experience, and one of the things I've learned is that anything you commit to do in print is another potential delay to shipping the book.

For the remaining PDF bonus material there's a lot of stuff that we're making from scratch, and while we're making good progress, there's a whole process to go through there.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

Hey Ewen, what are the odds of seeing Mononoke Koyake in some form or another before Halloween?
I'll see what we can manage for Mononoke Koyake. I've been fighting to get stuff lined up for printing and fulfillment, so the PDF extras aren't as high a priority, but it would be cool to get that out in time for Halloween. (It's also just a really nifty book in general.)

In other news, the PDF of the rulebook will be going up for sale for non-backers very soon!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Crafty Games apparently already came out with The Little Wizards RPG, a game translated from French, aimed at kids, where you play the thing in the title. Has anyone heard anything about it? All I've heard is that the rules are pretty traditional, though from everything I've heard about (non-Scandinavian) European RPG design that doesn't surprise me all that much.

Which reminds me, a while back I did a translation of the free version of the rulebook for Witch Quest, a Japanese TRPG in the vein of Kiki's Delivery Service published in 1992 or so, by Adventure Planning Service no less. They released a print version, but they also put out a free version in text files through the Japanese version of CompuServe. Seriously. There's a doujin circle called Majo no Kai that still supports it too. The game definitely shows its age in a lot of ways (also, you get to see what happens when I translate something and don't get an editor), but it has a bunch of nifty touches to it too. Kamiya thinks of GSS and Witch Quest as two entries in a genre he calls "everyday magic," and went as far as to work with Majo no Kai to do a doujin with a replay for each game and an interview transcript in the middle. (The Majo no Kai guy, South, also wrote the "In the Countryside" piece that appears in translation in the English GSS rulebook.)

e: Oh and I forgot to mention Ben Lehman's Clover, which is basically Yotsuba&! with the serial numbers filed off. It's simple, unconventional, and definitely a happy game. :3:

Kwyndig posted:

Neat. Is that going to include any bonus material or will the bonus henge be sold separately at a later date?
We're going to be making the bonus material available separately later on, though we haven't yet settled on what form it'll come in. Once we finish up all of the PDF material we'll easily have enough material for a book or three.

Ewen Cluney fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Androc posted:

Is there any backer-exclusive material for Golden Sky Stores, or is it all eventually going to be made available to nonbackers?
We haven't 100% decided, but I think I'm too much of a completist to let any of the game material stop being available if I can help it. The truly backer-exclusive stuff is going to be mainly physical stuff, like the wall scrolls (which are awesome, but a pain to handle on our end of things) and hardcover books (we're only printing about 200 of them). OTOH backers are definitely going to get stuff a lot sooner.

Desty posted:

I wanted to bend your ear about this a little more, but you don't appear to have PMs or a public email address. Do you have a preferred contact address you can post, or failing that, could you shoot me a line at my SA proxy, destySA at gmail.com?
I went ahead and got the upgrade, so feel free to PM me. :)

e: And the PDF is now up for sale!

Ewen Cluney fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 7, 2013

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Oh yeah, thanks for that. The feedback so far as been great. :) I don't know if I made it clear enough in the update but I'm also looking for general feedback on Faerie Skies (especially if it's backed up by playtesting) to help fine-tune the design and such.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
On the subject of Happy Games, Penguin King Games (which is to say David Prokopetz) recently announced Costume Fairy Adventures, which is going to have a Kickstarter soon. You play as adorable little fairies who go on random adventures, with the twist that the game includes a costume deck, and each character gets 3 or so costumes they can change into to get special powers.

DalaranJ posted:

So, I have a theoretical GSS question.

It seems like it's important to the flow of the game to keep the scope intimate, but as a player my instinct would be to solve some of the issues by pulling in other town members. For instance, in Fantasy Heartbreaker (TM), if I found a magic staff and couldn't figure out what it did I'd go ask a Sage. Likewise in Golden Sky Stories I might want to ask the convinence story owner or the toy maker for help.

What would you do as a narrator in this situation? The two possibilities I'd imagine would be allow the additional NPC but disallow connections, or require the henge to cash their thread out to 'activate' the character.
This is one of the things the rules don't really address. The first thing I would do is just emphasize that to make an Impression Check you have to have a substantial interaction with someone beyond just asking them for a quick favor. You could just have "minor NPCs" that aren't eligible for connections too. With the rules as written using a Thread isn't really an opportunity cost though, since you automatically get to turn the connection back into a Thread at the end of the session.

PixelScum posted:

Hmm, as a dude who wants to put out an earthbound hack for GSS; I'm wondering if you'd be willing to upload the in-design files for blank character sheets.
I'd have to talk to the layout guy about it, but frankly behind the scenes the English character sheet was a bit of a kludge. Kamiya and co. weren't really anticipating needing to have the files ready to send out to people making foreign language translations. (Though now a French version is in the works, and someone on Facebook was asking me about getting them in touch with Kamiya to see about a Portuguese version.)

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Winson_Paine posted:

Golden Sky Stories, I choose YOU.
:japan:

Although it kinda goes without saying, if you have any questions about GSS for me please feel free to ask. :3:

Roland Jones posted:

Have the physical GSS things been shipped out yet? If not, I need to change my address, though due to where I'm living I need to know what mail service is being used. USPS doesn't drive to my house and only does the P.O. Box here, while UPS and FedEx are the opposite.
Not yet. We're getting close to having everything lined up though; the big hurdle right now is nailing down a fulfillment service to use, because handling 1600 parcels ourselves would be insane. We're planning to use USPS though; if anyone needs to update their address go ahead and message me so I can update my spreadsheet. (I've had to do that plenty of times already.)

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

nomadotto posted:

I played in a game of GSS on Saturday (using the fox scenario). It was a lot of fun, but, I had a couple of quick questions-

1) Henge is supposed to relate to "supernatural stuff" as per: "Henge is the strength of your magic powers" from the OP, but that doesn't seem to be mechanically addressed anywhere. Is it something I'm missing?
Certain specific powers do directly use the Henge attribute, and normal Surprise is based on your Henge stat as well. Apart from that it's sort of like like a lore skill and a stat representing your status among other supernatural beings, so you might have a player make a Henge check to figure out the right etiquette when dealing with a local god for example.

quote:

2) If you want to make something, is that an Adult check? For example, baking a cake or fixing a shrine?
The game is a bit loose and flexible as to what attributes you use for what purposes, but I would usually use Adult for making stuff, but occasionally one of the other attributes depending on what it is and what the purpose is. (Like, Child for a drawing to cheer someone up, Henge for getting a shrine just so for a picky local god, Animal for say if a bird henge is making a nest, etc.)

quote:

3) I felt like it was hard to keep the game moving forward at times. It may be have been because of the scenario, but for future reference, how would you recommend structuring conflicts to keep the party together and working towards a goal? Or am I sorta missing the point, and the game is mostly about adorable animal people bouncing off of each other, rather than a more Rescuers-y "we gotta help this person before thing X happens" feel?
What I personally tend to do is set up a relatively simple conflict or wrinkle for the henge to resolve, and just kind of see what happens. One of my sessions will typically have 4 or so scenes and run for 90-120 minutes. A lot of the appeal comes from a willingness to sort of take the slow road and find solutions through heartwarming role-play. Which is not to say that you can't have more pressing problems for your henge to deal with, but I do think you need to be sure to allow time for characters to interact and bond.

quote:

It's definitely nice to have a system that focuses on small-scale, non-violent stuff, and I'm looking forward to trying it again!
Yay! :3:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
About the only thing that's really specifically Japanese in the game per se is the way the raccoon dog and fox henge are written up. If I were to run a GSS game set in America I'd leave those two character types out, and reskin the rabbit henge's Mochi Pounding power to involve chocolates. The rest is pretty minor details, like a Shinto shrine maiden and Buddhist priest being rather unlikely characters, perhaps a few different animals, and maybe omit or reskin the Local Gods.

If you're a backer you might also want to look at the drafts of Faerie Skies and Fantasy Friends (there were download links in some backers-only updates), which offer other settings that could make good alternatives to the default rural Japan and a bunch of new character types.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I'm really glad to hear people are liking their GSS books! A ton of work and probably more time than it should've taken went into the project.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got a question for Ewen: any idea how long it'll be before the alternate settings will be readily available? Pondering the idea of running it online, but there's the conundrum of having non-backers who can't access the material yet.
It's going to take a while to finish revising, editing, commissioning art, having layout done, etc., and playtesting with feedback is probably the best thing anyone could do to help the process along, so I don't mind if you share Fantasy Friends/Faerie Skies with people at this point, especially if you just give them the writeup for their chosen character type.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

You're in luck, because my copy came in and now I'm running a forums game.

Hey Ewen, I noticed the distributor's return address was for Level 99 Games. As in the same guys who did Battlecon? Are they getting into the distribution market for other folks, or is this just a thing you worked out with them?

Also, those prints look really snappy. Glad I sprung for 'em.
Yeah, I got acquainted with Brad from Level 99 Games of BattleCON fame, because he asked me to do a scenario for Power Play, and he happened to be starting up a fulfillment service that worked out well for us. Brad and I are also talking about collaborating on something by the way. :3

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Welp eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive. Though I don't remember filling out a survey for it...hopefully I've just got a garbage memory and didn't screw myself out of my copy.
I've got a spreadsheet with most of the tracking numbers from the fulfillment service, so feel free to get in touch with me and I can check for you.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yeah, GSS tends towards "slice of life plus some magic," so a blend of shared themes and recurring characters can help make a series of sessions a little more cohesive. In the manga that the illustrator did, the cat henge girl Kurona is constantly hanging out with three boys from town and generally getting into trouble. A friend of mine wanted to play a fox henge who would take a romantic interest in a mortal, so we slowly developed that over the course of three sessions as an undercurrent with other things going on. I also want to use Mononoke Koyake to do a mini-campaign where the PCs are the inhabitants of the haunted mansion on the edge of town, and I think using a setting with a little bit of a personality of its may be another way to go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got some Golden Sky Stories questions, since I ran At the Fox's Spider's Shrine last week at my local table, and will be running GSS for a few weeks more. So!
  • Are there any considerations I should make for a five player group, or should I not worry about it?
  • With NPC Connections, how do NPC connections to players increase? Do I need to rely on players tossing Dreams to me to do so?
  • With threads, do players get threads to all of each other every session for having a Connection, or only if they actively improve their Connection to another PC?
  • And this is one I don't really care about the answer for too much, but I'm curious - does the Bird actually have to pay Wonder to fly, or only in human (with wings) form?
In the rules as written the game is only meant for a group with 2-4 players. The major concern with having more characters is that the point totals can get out of whack, which can happen even with 4 players, especially if you have 3-4 NPCs. If you don't mind the PCs having lots of points then you don't need to do anything. I've considered stuff like bumping up the cost in Dreams for boosting a connection, or having some players be humans or some such, but haven't had a chance to try it. It's also potentially challenging to make a scenario where 5 PCs all have interesting things to do without it being a bit too long for a GSS story, but not much more so than with 4 players I think.

The Narrator can also receive Dreams, and spends them on increasing NPCs' connections to PCs. My experience is that players tend to not give a lot of Dreams to the Narrator, but at worst that means they don't have quite as many points.

You get threads from all connections, regardless of their strength, even if you left them at the starting amount.

For my part I treat a bird henge's ability to fly as something they can do naturally if they're in an appropriate form, but using the power lets them fly in any form that has wings, and gives them the mechanical benefits of the power. So if your bird wants to fly up to a tree branch in bird form (or say in the +0 human form with huge wings) you can just do it, or at most make an Animal check, but if you want to fly as a human with tiny wings and/or to get that +2 bonus for finding things you need to use the power. The power is specifically not usable if the bird henge is in full human form though, which means it's fine for any other form.

• Locked thread