Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

Eh, Reeves hit it big with Speed he kind of made a bunch of movies that just didn't take off and he seemed like he was doomed to fade until The Matrix came around. I mean Devil's Advocate did well, but it was also the most notable movie he made between Speed and The Matrix and it wasn't exactly a movie that said "this man is a star that should be opening movies".

He had some stumbles but it wasn't like he had zero star power. People knew who he was when casted as Neo for the Matrix. I'm fine with, "Not A List" if that's what Random Stranger really meant. Keanu had been around for a long time by then and was still relevant making movies. He wasn't Mickey Rourke on a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He had some stumbles but it wasn't like he had zero star power. People knew who he was when casted as Neo for the Matrix. I'm fine with, "Not A List" if that's what Random Stranger really meant. Keanu had been around for a long time by then and was still relevant making movies. He wasn't Mickey Rourke on a comeback.

How about this: Keeanu had enough movies after Speed came out to not be considered a bankable star.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

So, I have watched Soldier three times in the past three days. There is so much to write about I know I am not going to do it justice. Comparisons to Robocop and the directing style of Paul Verhoeven, themes of rebirth, humanity, and the dehumanization of soldiers, a commentary on Vietnam and other modern wars, themes of playing god with the addition of themes of Cain and Abel, and also the amazing set design. Also, Kurt Russell and Gary Busey nail it.

gently caress...

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 17, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Jefferoo posted:

Just to double check, submissions are text-only, right? Still need to crank out my Punisher: War Zone piece.
Text with italics for film titles and emphasis. You can attach pictures if you want, as long as the article doesn't rely on them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

spaceships posted:

This guy is, though, and he's not nearly as much of a bad son of a bitch. But he has a lot more heart.

Big Trouble in Little China was released in 1986, on a budget of $20-25 million. Captained by Horror Master John Carpenter, this vessel of absolute beauty stormed the beaches of No One Gives a gently caress, threw its crew onto the beach and left them there to have all of the fun imaginable. All of it. You cannot imagine the fun. You might even refuse to.

This is a movie where a Chinese dude explodes from sheer rage. There's a place called the Chinese Hell of Being Cut to Pieces. The Asian sidekick is the proverbial hero because the White Leading Macho Action Star is an American Truck Driver who, although admirably courageous, is a useless piece of poo poo, in way over his head and has no idea what the gently caress is going on. He just wants his truck back. Then there's monsters and magicians and sorcerers, and all sorts of other weird poo poo and Kim Catrall.

You still can't imagine the fun, I get it. It's hard to grasp, profoundly so.

All this and much more is in this movie. There are also things that aren't in this movie, but I think that can be said of a lot of movies, so we shouldn't hold that against this one. It opened to a spectacular $2,723,211 on 1,092 screens, and has grossed roughly $11,100,000 to this day. Victory!

No one understood this movie very well. I'd like to tell you why.

edit: my pitch has pictures :smug:

Wasn't this a huge hit on home video though?

EDIT: Tharizdun - Deep Rising is a loving classic and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

EDIT: Tharizdun - Deep Rising is a loving classic and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

I agree. My article is 100% about how it's a great summer blockbuster action movie, but somehow got released in the January death slot.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Charlz Guybon posted:

No one gave a poo poo when it came about because it was marketed really weird and they didn't understand/appreciate the premise of the film. It found a massive cult following later on.

Speaking of, I'm having massive issues. Lost the first draft, and since my wife's gotten sick, I've written maybe ~150 words. Still going to kick it over the next week, but at this rate, it doesn't look like I'll be finishing in time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

General survey-ish question: About how long are people's essays turning out? I finished a first draft today of about 2000 words, which feels kinda long-winded to me despite being 2/3 of the word limit (and despite feeling like I could easily write more about this movie). Where are other people at?

(PS CloseFriend - Did you get my email?)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

General survey-ish question: About how long are people's essays turning out? I finished a first draft today of about 2000 words, which feels kinda long-winded to me despite being 2/3 of the word limit (and despite feeling like I could easily write more about this movie). Where are other people at?

(PS CloseFriend - Did you get my email?)
Read and replied! I gotta new e-mail account; that one's loving waterlogged with spam.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Mine will wind up at about 1700 words and I feel it's a bit long winded, but then I have a simple, direct point that I need to explain.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Extension number 2! You now have until November 8. Somehow I don't think my colleagues will mind, because I know they're busy like me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CloseFriend posted:

Extension number 2! You now have until November 8. Somehow I don't think my colleagues will mind, because I know they're busy like me.

You keep saving my rear end...and I still might not finish, but at least there's a chance now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CloseFriend posted:

Excellent! Halloween season is busy for me.

(I've got a first draft and printed it out last night to start doing notes, but I fear the structure will still end up a little sloppy. There's just so much to talk about, but not all of it ties into the main thesis such as it is.)

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
As a man who just started a new job, thanks very much.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
Oh thank God. Today, you truly are my...Close Friend.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Happy to help! I'd also like to point out that I won't be a sticker about the due date; I'm not generally a "my way or the highway" kind of person. So don't go discarding your work if you don't have it perfect by then. If it's a little overdue, I won't mind at all. I'm more than cognizant that everyone involved is busy (myself absolutely included). I don't have mine done either, and I won't hold you guys to a higher standard than I'd hold myself.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
Yeah, seriously thank you. My life has gotten hectic the last couple of weeks but I really want to finish sperging writing about Pacific Rim!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I was supposed to do Sucker Punch but a ton of real life crap got in the way and I won't be able to finish it in time. If anybody wants to take a crack at it in 24hrs its up for grabs.

Sorry guys. Was really looking forward to doing it :(

Edit: Nevermind! I'm going to try my best to finish it next week for the new deadline.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

To remind you, your essays are due tomorrow!!!

But don't panic. That due date has no teeth whatsoever. If you're late, I'll understand. Just get them to me "soon-ish."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Oh wow. I hadn't checked the thread since before Halloween, so I just assumed I missed the deadline. My essay was really not turning out the way I'd hoped and I abandoned it thinking there was no way it was going to right itself in time.

Now that I know there's still a little time, I'm going to try taking one more pass at it tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully something will finally click.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

To remind you, your essays are due tomorrow!!!

But don't panic. That due date has no teeth whatsoever. If you're late, I'll understand. Just get them to me "soon-ish."

I've got my draft finished, but I'm gonna do a quick polish on it and try and get it to you by the end of the day, if that's cool.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I'll have it to you early next week. That's what I get for trying to do five things at once.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What format do you want these in? I figured RTF would work but I'm not sure how you'd work in pictures.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

What format do you want these in? I figured RTF would work but I'm not sure how you'd work in pictures.
I'm not terrifically picky. HTML, BBcode, RTF, PDF, whatever floats your boat. I'd rather you sent me any stills separately and didn't have the article mention them, though. In all probability, I'll have to cut some stills for brevity, so I want to avoid having to change the text accordingly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so much the better. VLC is not opening DVDs for me anymore so my screen captures are from an... inferior source, but we'll see.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And sent.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'm gonna try to get mine finished in the next day or two - it's a bit of a rush job, but I'm not going to bite off more than I can chew.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Finished and sent! Hopefully .doc or .odt aren't a problem, I included versions in both format.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I will have mine in within a day or two. I got distracted with the job search even though I have four pages of time stamped notes from like two weeks ago.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sent mine tonight.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
I have too many words, I need to cut it down and reorganize it, but I'm hoping to have it sent in the next day or two. Turns out working the night shift does weird things to your scheduling and plans.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Sent mine in. How many have you gotten, CloseFriend?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think my write-up isn't very good and had some stuff going on. I'm going to drop out of this consider it's a few days after. Maybe next time.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am also dropping out, because I didn't consider how busy I was going to be with grad school, so I wouldn't be able to write anything until the end of December.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

I should have mine in by Wednesday. Thursday at the latest.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Aaaaaalmost done. Just need to give it the once-over and I'll send it out after work tomorrow. Please please let me still submit this, I've worked too drat much and had way too much fun for this baby to never see the light of day.

EDIT: Edits taking longer than I thought and I'm straight-up exhausted after work, will definitely have it out tomorrow (Friday).

PateraOctopus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 15, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

PateraOctopus posted:

Aaaaaalmost done. Just need to give it the once-over and I'll send it out after work tomorrow. Please please let me still submit this, I've worked too drat much and had way too much fun for this baby to never see the light of day.
Of course.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Okay, email sent to the turbandecay address, CloseFriend. Really had a blast with this project; thanks for being so understanding with the deadline.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
How many people have turned stuff in? Has judging started or are we waiting on a few?

(Not to be pushy but I'm worried about making the cut.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Update time, mofoes!

So here are the essays I've gotten…

Hewlett: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
LtKenFrankenstein: Ravenous
Maxwell Lord: The Avengers (1998)
PateraOctopus: Dragonslayer
Random Stranger: Constantine
Sheldrake: The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Tars Tarkas: Tank Girl

I apologize for how dilatory I've been with this project over the past few months; real life worked a number on me.

Anyway, as you can see, this falls short of the twenty essays I wanted to get. But I have the utmost appreciation for those of you who did the work, and I don't want to let it all go unrewarded. I'm going to talk to the rest of my panel immediately and figure out where to go from here next.

EDIT: No matter what, canceling this project is an absolute last resort; the seven essays I got are all very well done and the last thing I want to do is discard good writing.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 16, 2013

• Locked thread