Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Volume 2 spoilers: The thing with Tekko ripping her own teeth out so she couldn't bite Hideo struck me SO HARD when I realized exactly what happened there. She couldn't stop herself from hurting him so she chewed through the goddamn door next to him instead while screaming that she loved him and that's just. Wow. Holy poo poo. I have never seen a scene like that in ANY media I have ever watched and that will stick with me for life.
Yeah, wow, see I only noticed that going back, since on the first read you still have no idea what the people who are infected are experiencing and just assume they're simplistic crazy zombies. Reading it the first time I just assumed she was a crazed zombie and Hideo was just lucky because he had the door between himself and her (so she chewed at the door and lost her teeth, just luck) and she later got distracted when another crazed zombie showed up. Looking back, not only does she purposefully rip out her own teeth but she immediately attacks the other infected who shows up while Hideo was stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

He talks about the MC in Ressentiment being a kind of self insert, even to the point of drawing him as a mangaka at the end in a footnote but that's just ridiculous.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just go to chapter 11 without reading anything about this manga just like you said.

:psyboom:

I expected something but it sure as hell wasn't that.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Kinda wanna see Hanazawa's girlfriend now. What are the odds of her looking like Tekko, the new girl, or of Tekko looking like an ex?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nerdz posted:

since after Inio Asano revealed he is transgender

Hahaha wait, what? When the hell did this happen? :allears: That's glorious.

I've been holding off on reading Oyasumi Punpun because I wanted to binge through all of it once it's done. Hopefully Asano'll fill the hole Shimura left behind when she ended Wandering Son (and make it dark as gently caress :unsmigghh:).

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

NotAnArtist posted:

This whole thing reminds me of Stephen King's novel Cell, which had the "zombies" slowly evolve from mindless, animalistic monsters to psychic terrors. Not entirely the same thing, I understand, but the parallel is there. I'm looking forward to learning more, but I'm curious as to the whole "kurusu" arc; the children/young adults behind it, are they going to be just another cult?

Vol 12: Yeah, the last volume with the idea of a Kurusu is very, very similar to the Raggedy Man. Looks like there are some sort of people who can control dens of zombies as well. I sort of like that! I know Cell wasn't the best novel, but I really enjoyed it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Hahaha wait, what? When the hell did this happen? :allears: That's glorious.

I've been holding off on reading Oyasumi Punpun because I wanted to binge through all of it once it's done. Hopefully Asano'll fill the hole Shimura left behind when she ended Wandering Son (and make it dark as gently caress :unsmigghh:).
I would be all over this.

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me at all. All the angst seen in Oyasumi Punpun certainly reminded me of closeted trans-life. :sigh:

Looking forward to something insane and awesome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of Shimua, is she starting anything new? Both Wandering Son and Aoi Hana just ended at almost the same time (or at least their scans did).

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
This series makes me uncomfortable as all get out but I can't stop reading it (except now, because there are no new chapters).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I took the advice in the OP and read the first volume. Kind of pressed for time right now, but (spoilers for first volume ahead):

I'm blown away. The art is ridiculous. So much detail in almost every page. I found myself staring at certain images for ages - particularly the shots in his and Tekko's apartments. The time and effort that went into this puts just about every other manga I've read (not many, admittedly) to shame.

The pacing and foreshadowing is also fantastic. I'm not generally a fan of 'zombie' fiction, or even the recent trend of disaster fiction, but the set up for this - the gradual escalation and encroachment of dread - is spot-on, mainly due to the excellent early characterisation that goes into the main relationship with Tekko, which was adorable and relatable. I'd honestly like a manga just about their lives as mangakas with none of the supernatural stuff. That's what makes the supernatural stuff acceptable to me in this, though.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to move onto the next volume immediately or just stop here while I still love it. If the manga becomes about shooting monsters I'm not all that interested.

gently caress me, though, what a first volume.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is much more than just shooting monsters. In fact, it makes a point of people NOT shooting monsters because A: they think they're still people and B: there aren't really guns there. It's Japan. It's much more interesting than most zambie stories.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: gently caress STUPID PHONE

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Captain Invictus posted:

It is much more than just shooting monsters. In fact, it makes a point of people NOT shooting monsters because A: they think they're still people and B: there aren't really guns there. It's Japan. It's much more interesting than most zambie stories.

Vol 8: Though when shooting monsters finally does happen it is loving amazing. :allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I followed the OPs advice and yeah, this is pretty good. I would probably not even have suspected ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE if not for the very "generic"/realistic artstyle and more importantly: Main character owning a gently caress-off shotgun... in Japan, at that. Still, very well done and way better than how this is usually done. Kinda got draggy with some of the side stories later on, however, and the pacing seem to have slowed to a crawl compared to the first couple of volumes which were just crazy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I binged this and holy poo poo is basically all I have to say. More volumes, please. Wooah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Agreed posted:

I binged this and holy poo poo is basically all I have to say. More volumes, please. Wooah.

You should read Ressentiment and Boys on the Run, both by the same author.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, add me to the "read the first volume, binged the rest almost instantly." I've felt really burnt out on zombies, but goddamn if this manga didn't instantly catch me. It takes the zombie apocalypse premise and actually makes it scary. That first three page spread is loving terrifying and I can't wait for more.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

You should read Ressentiment and Boys on the Run, both by the same author.

I think people can skip Ressentiment. I don't think it's worth reading.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well I say the opposite, and think it IS worth reading. NYAH.

But more seriously, while it is not perfect and is definitely apparent as his first series, the only seriously rough stuff is that the ending really feels rushed. It just starts moving really quickly all of a sudden and ends just as abruptly. Though overall it is really, truly, wonderfully cynical. The "protagonist" (ending spoilers) managing to gently caress up his one really good chance right at the end and winds up 45, alone, and running his parents' bento shop after blowing it with Maria. Instead of realizing that he's got a wonderful girl right in front of him, that is flesh and blood, but throws it away for the fake one.

Otherwise it's a pretty excellent and grim story of escapism, denial, and terrible people. Because Takuro is kind of a lovely person when all is said and done.

Also, that reveal is a complete loving masterstroke. Like, really. It is so amazing.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Captain Invictus posted:

Well I say the opposite, and think it IS worth reading. NYAH.

But more seriously, while it is not perfect and is definitely apparent as his first series, the only seriously rough stuff is that the ending really feels rushed. It just starts moving really quickly all of a sudden and ends just as abruptly. Though overall it is really, truly, wonderfully cynical. The "protagonist" (ending spoilers) managing to gently caress up his one really good chance right at the end and winds up 45, alone, and running his parents' bento shop after blowing it with Maria. Instead of realizing that he's got a wonderful girl right in front of him, that is flesh and blood, but throws it away for the fake one.

Otherwise it's a pretty excellent and grim story of escapism, denial, and terrible people. Because Takuro is kind of a lovely person when all is said and done.

Also, that reveal is a complete loving masterstroke. Like, really. It is so amazing.

What I like about the ending is that Takuro is shown as a loser who is a loser not because of circumstance but because he is inherently a terrible person. He said before that the reason he's a fat and terrible is because he had no one to root for him, cheer for him, and to be the crutch for him to better himself. He got that in Maria. But instead he still stayed as a terrible person, unable to change himself. Other than that, the part with the Americans involved is too goofy and totally off beat.

Also, RIP Reinhart. Dude's a hero, even if he's a creeper.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Another binger here, the scanlations are up to a pretty awesome temporary stop point right now. This has a very good sense of scaling up the action as it goes, doesn't have the issue of having to top its own ridiculousness or anything like that. Very much enjoyed it so far.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Read like 30 chapters of Boys on the Run last night and I have to say I like it more than I am a Hero. Even though every character is just completely deplorable, especially Tanishi, I really want to see how this trainwreck plays out. I guess that is just the best way to describe it, it is a trainwreck starting from chapter 1.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
CH 62: Wow, I really like how they handled zombie Hiromi. It kinda reminds me of Valve's "Meet the Pyro" video, except more brutal, more horrifying, and much more fascinating. Is she somehow still semi-conscious of her actions and is knowingly helping out Hideo and the cameraman? Or is this just some weird mental translation and she isn't consciously trying to be helpful?

This manga is the perfect alternative to The Walking Dead in just about every way.

e: Ch63: "Shinji-kun, I'll protect you." Huh, maybe she is conscious of it.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Had a weird as gently caress dream that, come to think of it, was rather I Am A Hero inspired. Spoilered just because: so it started off with me, my mother, roommate, and friend in our house a couple weeks after the ~zombie apocalypse~ began, and there were two neighbor zombies at the front door who wouldn't go away. They were clearly dead already, so I decided to just finish them off in case they wore the door down along with their fingers. Grabbed a huge icebreaker we have(basically a 40 pound spear of metal) and just clobbered them with it after I had mom open the door, but one of them clawed my leg as they fell. I was basically "well, I'm infected, gently caress" and hugged everyone, said "I'm going to go lock myself in an abandoned house downtown, if a cure or something is found, come get me" and started walking down the road. I met a few survivor groups scrounging for food and stuff and just told'em what was going on, I could slowly feel control of my body slipping away until the last group I met I was slurring my words and it was hard to move my jaw and my vision was a bit blurry and tinged by red, but I was fighting to keep some semblance of consciousness. I found a small abandoned house with mostly reinforced barred up windows, clearly a former safe house, and locked myself inside. It had a small second floor that was partially open to the weather, apparently the survivors used the wood and stuff from the second floor to reinforce the first, but put barbed wire and stuff to cover up the holes there. The first floor had TV(there was still electricity here), two couches, and a chair, the kitchen was bare but I felt I wouldn't be needing it anyways. I fell asleep on the couch despite my best efforts and woke up around twilight, maybe that day, maybe a few days from then. I was wrestling for control of my body and my consciousness felt like it was floating in a cloud, but I could still see things. I slowly unlocked the door and shuffled outside, I walked towards the road and looked around. I heard a scream as a pair of survivors were beset on by a few hairless zombies that looked a lot like zombie Gollums, and after they were finished one of the Gollum-zombies turned to me and started running at me extremely fast. He jumped and landed on my front, about to tear me apart, when he realized I was another infected and started mumbling crazy-talk to me all excitedly. I couldn't understand it, but he then heard a sound and dashed off into the darkness, I then saw a train come barreling through the center of the road and was wondering if I was hallucinating.

I shuffled back "home" and locked the door again, barely acknowledging I was pale, bleeding from some places with very visible veins and moving like I was swimming through some thick liquid. I walked into the living room and saw that the lights were on, the TV was going, and mom, my roommate and friend were all sitting and laughing at what was on TV! I quickly(slowly) ran over and sat down on the empty couch to watch with them, happy to be together again even though it was logically impossible for them to be there. Suddenly another voice next to me started talking to me, I looked over and my sister was there! She grinned and said "hey, you should see what I've had for dinner upstairs. It's interesting." I didn't know what she meant, but I mumbled out "what are you doing here, Katie? You've been dead for six years..." and suddenly the room was cold, dark, and empty except for me and her. "Katie? I'm not Katie, I'm the infection...I really think you should go upstairs and take a look at what I've been eating..." it said with a far-too-wide, rotting grin.

I started awkwardly, stiffly climbing the stairs, and right as I got to the top...my alarm went off. Welp

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That's actually a pretty cool dream. Thanks for sharing it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just binged through this fucker and holy loving poo poo.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

coreycoryecorey posted:

Read like 30 chapters of Boys on the Run last night and I have to say I like it more than I am a Hero. Even though every character is just completely deplorable, especially Tanishi, I really want to see how this trainwreck plays out. I guess that is just the best way to describe it, it is a trainwreck starting from chapter 1.

Yeah I just sped through Boys on the Run and the fact that it's so close to finished is killing me

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I don't read too much in the way of manga any more, but this is pretty interesting. I'm used to the protagonists having at least one or two redeeming qualities, but these folks are pretty reprehensible, which, for the most part, makes them more relatable. Just chewing through chapter 16 now, and the one thing that impresses me most is the artwork, which is phenomenal.

Must be pretty cathartic to have all of these essays on manga culture embedded in a story like this.

I dunno, Hideo is a creep, a weirdo and morally kind of a bad person but I think it'd be a little extreme to call him completely rehensible.

I mean he takes firearm laws very seriously. :colbert:

Captain Invictus posted:

I assume it has something to do with this "grand master plan" with the infected, such as them heading south. Honestly I don't even know if I'd call them zombies anymore, because they are far more cognizant than your stereotypical shambler/runner now.

Zombies were originally very much conizant back when they were characterized as revenants. :colbert:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 12, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Binged trough every scanlation today and *volume 12* I can't say I'm thrilled that the manga has moved from the horrifying and sad stuff in the 3-4 volumes into "infected grows long hair, does flips in the air and has knife fights in their underwear". The manga was pretty much perfect until Hiromi got infected (that drawing of her in the car was haunting) but I feel it's been getting progressively worse. The zombies' recent behavior is pretty interesting though. Perhaps they are supposed to replace ordinary humans? I do wonder how the manga would have turned out if it had stayed with the romance/drama with a supernatural twist angle instead of going the Walking Dead in Japan - now with half naked knife-fights and a super-strong-not-really-a-zombie school-girl.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 13, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Renoistic posted:

Binged trough every scanlation today and *volume 12* I can't say I'm thrilled that the manga has moved from the horrifying and sad stuff in the 3-4 volumes into "infected grows long hair, does flips in the air and has knife fights in their underwear". The manga was pretty much perfect until Hiromi got infected (that drawing of her in the car was haunting) but I feel it's been getting progressively worse. The zombies' recent behavior is pretty interesting though. Perhaps they are supposed to replace ordinary humans? I do wonder how the manga would have turned out if it had stayed with the romance/drama with a supernatural twist angle instead of going the Walking Dead in Japan - now with half naked knife-fights and a super-strong-not-really-a-zombie school-girl.

I really don't think I'd be okay with a (IAAH series spoilers)romance/drama between a 35 year old and a high schooler in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, frankly. I think the zombies having rare evolutions into something more is interesting and want to see where it goes since it's about to get back to Hiromi.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Captain Invictus posted:

I really don't think I'd be okay with a (IAAH series spoilers)romance/drama between a 35 year old and a high schooler in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, frankly. I think the zombies having rare evolutions into something more is interesting and want to see where it goes since it's about to get back to Hiromi.

Eh... I was talking about Hideo and Tekko. I guess I didn't make that clear enough haha. That is, I wondered where the comic would have gone if it hadn't went in the Zombie direction and instead focused on Hideo, his job and relationship with Tokka, while having his delusions (or ARE they delusions?!). I really enjoyed the slow-paced drama with some occasional supernatural horror. Anyway, I'm thankful the manga didn't head in the direction you thought I was talking about. It's uncomfortable enough as is!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 13, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Captain Invictus posted:

That part didn't feel as much like romance to me as Hideo feeling like he had someone to protect which was a weird, new, responsible feeling for him.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shugojin posted:

That part didn't feel as much like romance to me as Hideo feeling like he had someone to protect which was a weird, new, responsible feeling for him.

That's pretty much how I saw that part, yeah.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Eh... I was talking about Hideo and Tekko. I guess I didn't make that clear enough haha. That is, I wondered where the comic would have gone if it hadn't went in the Zombie direction and instead focused on Hideo, his job and relationship with Tokka, while having his delusions (or ARE they delusions?!). I really enjoyed the slow-paced drama with some occasional supernatural horror. Anyway, I'm thankful the manga didn't head in the direction you thought I was talking about. It's uncomfortable enough as is!

Wasn't a big part of the first volume about how Hideo was "a side character in his own story"? I interpreted that as "Hideo's life is really unremarkable and boring" so I don't think a manga based on his everyday life would be very interesting aside from his hallucinations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, I misread his post and thought he was thinking that was what was going on, haha. I don't actually think that was anything, though I do think there might've been a little bit of crushing going on that was ultimately pointless.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It would be pretty understandable, even with the age gap. Incredibly deadly, scary and unsure situations tend to drive people into each others arms.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just got caught up. I really liked it up to the part (later chapter/volume spoiler)where suddenly getting infected and being somewhat resistant to it gives you super powers. I know it was suggested earlier in the series with the internet video but it just doesn't feel right with the tone of the first part of the series where everything is normal and then suddenly goes bad with the outbreak and is bleak and dismal.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I can understand why some folks have been less than impressed with the current shift to zombfags with superpowers, since it's quite a distinct departure from the earlier tone of the volumes. I'm curious to see where it goes all the same, but I really hope the series doesn't end with a bunch of psychotic Zs ruling the world. Also, I'm grateful that Hideo's role has shifted to more of a brotherly one with Hiromi; I never really read too much non-platonic chemistry between the two, but it was getting a little hinky for me. His latest supporting ladycharacter is curious enough.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

After reading the first volume, I have to agree with the art and writing being amazing, but the OP i think should have some indication that this manga is about zombies. I liked the first volume but i'm just not interested in more walking dead or anything else zombie related maybe ever and I was kind of annoyed that the OP is purposely misleading about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sure you'll survive this tragedy. Much like Suzuki.

• Locked thread