Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«449 »
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Yawn. Change it some more I love wasting your money.

Cactrot posted:

The serial # is 14252042672

1-425-204-2672

425 is the area code for Renton Wa...

...I called that number...holy poo poo is that some creepy stuff...I am probably going to have nightmares from that...

En Fuego posted:

Just called it ...

Got this ...

b q w a h e q x q h x y 4 x q m h o x g m g q p x m c q p g b y g m q c g m u ... just kept going ...

It's a robotic voice. I will try to record it.

It sounded like a guy with a voice modulator...and the creepy rear end jingle that played isntead of a normal ringer prior to was just weird...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

It sounded like a guy with a voice modulator...and the creepy rear end jingle that played isntead of a normal ringer prior to was just weird...

It goes on for a really long time too. Then it just ends. There's definitely something to this.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

it does stop, it is an ARG. It then repeats after a 30 second pause. This is the entire message

bqwaheqxqhxy4xqmhoxgmgqpxmcqpgbyjmqcgmuqxomgvzkvqwaheqxqhxyoxgpctxjrvcuqxomxgxqurvcnxruqxomxyxuuhmhvyxagxquoqvnmdxmevvjmpqtxgwhorvcuvtcmgvzkvqwaheqxqhxyhymvmvxmevvjmpqtxgw3/3gvyjthqxgr

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

The lower case Q looks fairly common. It's probably E.

Molybdenum
Jun 24, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

One time pad with the rules text as the key?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AgentAO posted:

It goes on for a really long time too. Then it just ends. There's definitely something to this.

I will let you investigate...I don't want to die...

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It's a cryptogram, the decoded message is this (taking into account transcription errors):

Cogwork Librarian 4

Artifact Creature - Construct

Draft Cogwork Librarian face up. As you draft a card, you may draft an additional card from that booster pack. If you do, put Cogwork Librarian into that booster pack.

3/3 Conspiracy

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2014 around 19:16

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

One time pad with the rules text as the key?

The 3/3 right there in the end looks a bit suspicious, and so does the 4 near the start.

Are there any artists with single-word names (well, nicknames)

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Entropic posted:

I hope it's fake because that set symbol looks like low-effort crap made in Magic Set Editor.

Weird, chunky abstract polygons for set symbols tend to be Commander, FTV, or duel deck traits. Maybe we'll get more detail before Journey into Nyx comes out.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

The two most common letters in that string are X and Q, and QX is a very common sequence. This suggests that it might just be a transposition cypher.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Oh man this is fairly awesome.

Outside of the ARG thing, the fact that there's an implied "council" in the flavor, plus stuff like the name (X of Y, where X is a generic title and Y is a quality that's thematically linked to the color pair via the card's mechanics) practically screams at me that this will be part of a cycle.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

"
vrzgibrarian4 artifact creature cvnstruct draft cow lorzgibrarian face up as you draft a card you may draft an additionag card from that booster pacz if you do put cow lorzgibrarian into to at booster pacz3/3 conspiracy"

was what I got from an online solver

my translation is "something librarian; 4; artifact creature construct; Draft librarian face up as you draft a card. You may draft an additional card from that booster pack. If you do put librarian into that booster pack. 3/3 conspiracy"

Looks like a draft focused set/ block.

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

drat you guys are fast. So a card that messes with the rules of draft itself. I have to imagine its a supplement product, is it cube?

RoleModel
Nov 2, 2010

Cogwork Librarian.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Didn't someone at Wizards say that they had to postpone the set that's being released this Fall becuse it messed with something in a serious way? This card certainly messes around with draft, if I'm reading it correctly.

EDIT: I kept re-reading the card as I couldn't quite figure it out and I just figured it out

an_mutt fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2014 around 19:24

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Opinion Haver posted:

It's a cryptogram, the decoded message is this (taking into account transcription errors):

Cogwork Librarian 4

Artifact Creature - Construct

Draft Cogwork Librarian face up. As you draft a card, you may draft an additional card from that booster pack. If you do, put Cogwork Librarian into that booster pack.

3/3 Conspiracy

That is balla as hell.

I called this poo poo a year ago - I've been saying from the start that the "accidental" leaks are viral marketing, this is the next level.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Come on 3rd Un-Set!!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Serperoth posted:

The 3/3 right there in the end looks a bit suspicious, and so does the 4 near the start.

Are there any artists with single-word names (well, nicknames)

What is suspicious? One is the casting cost, the other is the power and toughness. It is an artifact creature.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentAO posted:

drat you guys are fast. So a card that messes with the rules of draft itself. I have to imagine its a supplement product, is it cube?

No, it's brilliant. Wizards has been trying for years to get casual players into organized play. A card that names a format and works in that format is genius, because it'll get people who open it interested in drafting.

When would you pick Cogwork Librarian? As soon as there's no good pick in your first colour?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That is balla as hell.

I called this poo poo a year ago - I've been saying from the start that the "accidental" leaks are viral marketing, this is the next level.

I have no idea how this was solved from that non-sense...but if it is true this sounds like it will be fun.

atastypie
Dec 2, 2000

Playing 2HG prerelease tomorrow. Each team gets two prerelease packs (2x Born Of The Gods + 3x Theros + 1x Seeded Booster Pack + Foil Promo). I didn't touch Theros limited so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to run. Thinking of running Green (big stuffs) and Black (removal). Any reason to start with different colors?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

What is suspicious? One is the casting cost, the other is the power and toughness. It is an artifact creature.

Yeah, that's what I meant by suspicious, that they were just that. I posted that before the actual text was "revealed".

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

No, it's brilliant. Wizards has been trying for years to get casual players into organized play. A card that names a format and works in that format is genius, because it'll get people who open it interested in drafting.

When would you pick Cogwork Librarian? As soon as there's no good pick in your first colour?

Now that you mention that, that is pretty genius. It seems weird to me that they would print a card that does something completely outside the game in a normal set though.

I would imagine is P1, P1, so you can get the best two cards out of P2, P1? Would be pretty bad to open in the third pack I'm sure.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

atastypie posted:

Playing 2HG prerelease tomorrow. Each team gets two prerelease packs (2x Born Of The Gods + 3x Theros + 1x Seeded Booster Pack + Foil Promo). I didn't touch Theros limited so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to run. Thinking of running Green (big stuffs) and Black (removal). Any reason to start with different colors?

Open a lot of scholar and grey merchant.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Anytime a card "leaks" it's intentional. loving duh.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentAO posted:

Now that you mention that, that is pretty genius. It seems weird to me that they would print a card that does something completely outside the game in a normal set though.

I would imagine is P1, P1, so you can get the best two cards out of P2, P1? Would be pretty bad to open in the third pack I'm sure.

Maro said that Pack Rat was an attempt to make the best possible Limited card that would be unplayable in Constructed. Obviously it was a failed experiment, now Cogwork Librarian is an attempt at it. It's bizarre to think of a card that could be so format-defining without anyone actually playing it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AgentAO posted:

Imagine how that would gently caress up a draft. Because the guy next to you is going to then pick the Artifact, and gently caress up the next pack if he doesn't have a solid pick. Just means people are going to be pissed when they get handed an artifact as the last pick of P3.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Look, one way or another, you're leaving this place covered in semen. Might as well have some fun.

It just occurred to me that "Conspiracy" is a good product for putting in viral marketing/ARG type stuff.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

I'll bet that Mark Gottlieb was behind this. My only question is: is this the only planted card?

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

Imagine how that would gently caress up a draft. Because the guy next to you is going to then pick the Artifact, and gently caress up the next pack if he doesn't have a solid pick. Just means people are going to be pissed when they get handed an artifact as the last pick of P3.

That is so evil, I love it.

Maro said that Pack Rat was an attempt to make the best possible Limited card that would be unplayable in Constructed. Obviously it was a failed experiment, now Cogwork Librarian is an attempt at it. It's bizarre to think of a card that could be so format-defining without anyone actually playing it.

Yeah I could imagine this is the kind of card that gets picked 3 or 4 times in one draft because people keep snapping it up late, and cracking it for two cards early in each pack.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

It's me you should fear, you stupid, dead things.

OssiansFolly posted:

Anyone expecting to get a good card as their last pick of the last pack is going to be pissed no matter what they get. That's usually reserved for basic lands and Mindless Nulls.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OssiansFolly posted:

It's a Hill Giant, so any deck could use it as a possible 23rd card.

I'm wondering how this works at competitive play. Presumably the player is allowed to hold the Librarian as long as he wants until he trades it for two cards from the new pack.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Jorath posted:

I'll bet that Mark Gottlieb was behind this. My only question is: is this the only planted card?

I'd have to imagine that they'd put out a couple of them just to make sure that one made it on to the internet. It would be a lot of wasted effort to set up a phone line/ARG and have the one card you sent out end up in one of the boxes that never gets opened or gets opened by someone oblivious to it being a weird thing and just throws it in a shoebox when they get home. That being said, for the other supposedly leaked cards I don't remember other examples ever popping up.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BXCX posted:

I'd have to imagine that they'd put out a couple of them just to make sure that one made it on to the internet. It would be a lot of wasted effort to set up a phone line/ARG and have the one card you sent out end up in one of the boxes that never gets opened or gets opened by someone oblivious to it being a weird thing and just throws it in a shoebox when they get home. That being said, for the other supposedly leaked cards I don't remember other examples ever popping up.

On the other hand, it's Neutral Ground - if something was set directly to the Store, there's basically a 100% chance of it doing what they intended, just based on the store's history.

S: Apparently it's not that one? The real one closed down

I still think there are stores they could send it to where it'd always work, but there are probably multiple unique cards.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

I hope they also post pics of the prerelease box and pack it came from, just in case there are any other weird/identifiable markings on them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I'd have to imagine there are multiple different "planted" cards, and this is the first one we've seen opened.

Fox of Stone
Jul 2, 2007

He died for your spins.

Thanks guys. Neutral grounds said it pretty much went viral and I hope I contributed a bit to that. If any of you guys ever go to Philippines you should visit them. They're really nice stores.

E: they started releasing new pics with their logo on it. I now feel kinda bad cuz it won't be credited to them and I could've waited.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jabor posted:

I'd have to imagine there are multiple different "planted" cards, and this is the first one we've seen opened.

Oh gosh.
I'm assisting the judge at the prerelease tomorrow.

A man can only dream!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

That is balla as hell.

I don't think those leaks were intentional. They were regular, non-splashy cards (they were an uncommon and a common) and drafted out a random pack in a random box at a regular FNM. There was nothing special about the cards. It was just as likely they got taken home by someone who just wanted to open packs and didn't realize anything was amiss.

This, however, is a foil card put into a prerelease pack with a number on the back that leads to a cryptogram. This was an intentional leak.

ALSO: The set symbol on that card is a hex screw. UNSCREWED. It would make sense. MTGO is getting Vintage Masters in June, which won't be in paper. Why would they make something a digital only release? Because they're releasing something in paper that can't be online - an unset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox of Stone
Jul 2, 2007

He died for your spins.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I hope they also post pics of the prerelease box and pack it came from, just in case there are any other weird/identifiable markings on them.

You know you could just go on their Facebook page. Look up neutral grounds Philippines and comment there.

«449 »