Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I realized what I meant to say about Infiltrator/TF2 Demo - the mech combines the best parts of both the Demo's abilities in one gun and it's incredibly strong. You have a powerful, arcing projectile that can richochet (demo's nade launcher), but it's also remote-controlled (sticky launcher) so you can put the hurt anywhere you can or can't see, whenever you want. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed eventually.

Plus nothing beats appearing out of thin air and slaying someone, except perhaps almost slaying someone, vanishing, and watching your team mop up :black101:

On parties: lots of fun, totally game-breaking. Was in a group of three last night and we cycled through entire enemy teams joining and leaving like twice a round. Plus dropping in on a game in progress just obliterates any balance that was happening, because you all join one team at once.

Wales Grey posted:

Toss me on the list, I'm Prince of Wales in this.

Is that with underscores or one word?

Chard fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
In as alwaysbeclosing

This game has hardlocked my pc twice, I am running graphics on ultra, turned off bloom and thats about it. I just read the op really, so if its been mentioned in this thread, sorry, point me to it?

i5, 7850, 16gb ram.

edit- Is there a goon mumble for this up yet? Maybe use Camping the Stairs?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Christ can pubbies be dense in this game. Lots of catharsis though, since you can just continually yell at them for being bad :3:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I too wish to get in on making Saturnine cry, and am UnhappyMeal in game as well.

Coming back to this after the rather hohum Alpha is fantastic, and I am enjoying how much the game has improved, also really can't wait to see what comes of their co-op mode.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else get a crash after match end?

It just recently started happening and it's getting worse and worse.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

For those of you that enjoy Infil, and the ones who were wondering on trying Grenadier? Do it.

The Rev-GL is very much like Demoman's primary, it's faster and has a slightly different arc than the secondary GL, but it's a lot of fun to use. You also can use the HEAT cannon, which kinda makes you a fat Infil. It's also a better Vulcan platform than the Vanguard, if you're into that. I know I am.

Had some great games with Keyframe, Izam, and a few others earlier.. they all went Beserker, I was rocking my Grenadier.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Thanks for making me cry you nerds. That second game though was better when I was actually healing people.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Thanks for making me cry you nerds. That second game though was better when I was actually healing people.

The next round we all went rocketeers and still won. :smugdog:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Do I just not get the EOC Cannon or is it completely lovely? It does the same amount of damage as your normal missiles if you hit all 3, fires as fast or slower than the normal missiles, and is exponentially harder to hit people with as they get farther away.

Really regretting getting it.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Mr. Crow posted:

Do I just not get the EOC Cannon or is it completely lovely? It does the same amount of damage as your normal missiles if you hit all 3, fires as fast or slower than the normal missiles, and is exponentially harder to hit people with as they get farther away.

You can charge it to get 6 pucks, and it has the potential to have the highest burst in the game :ssh:

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
In as ScarsAndStripes.

I'm level 7 and Berserk level 2. Any suggestions on loadout?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Godmachine posted:

In as ScarsAndStripes.

I'm level 7 and Berserk level 2. Any suggestions on loadout?

For berserker, Air Dynamics all day erry day with fuel tanks and generator. People's natural reaction to a flier is to fly to meet them, and when you can outfloat everyone they'll be left immobile on the ground.

Also I buy the toptier Armor Fusor for every mech, it heals 25% on a kill and 15% on an assist. If you shoot everything that comes into view, you'll get assists on everything and never die.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mr. Crow posted:

Is that Rocketeers alt? Once you charge it to 6 rockets and hit all of them it does more damage than anything else in the game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I haven't bought an EOC on any mech yet. From reading the wiki it sounds like the pucks are timed mines that explode on direct hits; if an enemy moves near where I've shot will the mines explode at that time? Can multiple volleys be out at once or does firing again explode the old mines?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Chard posted:

I haven't bought an EOC on any mech yet. From reading the wiki it sounds like the pucks are timed mines that explode on direct hits; if an enemy moves near where I've shot will the mines explode at that time? Can multiple volleys be out at once or does firing again explode the old mines?

The pucks aren't timed; I don't know exactly how long they last, and what triggers them to disappear, but I've laid down mines and had someone trip them quite a while later. They're sticky bombs that explode on contact with an enemy at any time, basically.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
If you get good with the EOC you can be really deadly. There are several people that I've played against that absolutely wrecked people with the EOC. (like wrecking me. I hated them.)

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

The EOC is beastly, and once you get it's timing down it can be absolutely brutal.

You can charge it just like the HEAT cannon, and fire more pucks. With a bit of practice, it's easily one of the best weapons in the game due to it's high burst and zoning ability.

They should really give it to the Tech as a prestige weapon.. :can:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

keyframe posted:

Thinking about unlocking the Grenadeer early because it seems like the best mech to deal with those enemy team holing up around the corner with techs repairing them situations.

Grenadiers are awesome for breaking up groups that swarm the missile silo in missile assault/siege. It's great on Bazaar and Origin because for some unknown reason everyone likes to sit underneath the silo where it's much easier to funnel themselves into explosions instead of on top where they'd be safe and have the high ground. Just endlessly shell them, they'll either have to rush out to deal with you, where your (hopefully competent) teammates can finish them off, or they can stay there and get killed. One way or another, they're going to have to leave the safety of their silo. Good grenadiers, much like TF2 Demomen, have a lot of "one man army" potential. A really good one can shut down an entire team.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Need an OP name add for HATECUBE. Just hit lv25 after the patch and working on my engineer. I'm down for pickup and organized play between 7pm and 12am most days (GMT -5 Eastern US,) msg me ingame. I'm in 52-hour workweek mode so apologies in advance if I'm not responsive.

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.
Just hopped on as Silent_OopyDoopy. Couldn't really get into the slow, deliberate nature of MWO, this seems a lot more fun. Plus I dig the heck out of its style and tone.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Just tried the EOC and it's a far, far cry from what it used to be. It's awesome now! I've been puck-sniping anyone stupid enough to actually get hit by my lock-ons, it's a great finisher. I did a few tests while gathering EU and it seems like you can only have 6 pucks out at once. Any new pucks will replace the ones you have out once they hit a surface, but not a mech. I would lay down a "landing strip," then bait one very gullible Fred by pegging him with a 3-burst. The pucks I had out persisted, so he came after me, boosted across my minefield, and got a face full of rockets. I feel bad about making GBS threads on new players, but I am a man of science and robotic warfare. I still have no idea if they've got a detection radius, since most people would glide right over them.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 17, 2013

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
In as Funkameleon

I still really like the reaper a lot. Being an absolute coward seems to complement the mech quite a bit.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

sitchelin posted:

I did a few tests while gathering EU and it seems like you can only have 6 pucks out at once. Any new pucks will replace the ones you have out once they hit a surface, but not a mech ... I still have no idea if they've got a detection radius, since most people would glide right over them.

Actually... you can have 'any number' out! However, the most you are likely to have out at a given time is 12, and most people treat 12 as the limit to pucks on the field. You can go a bit over that if you have good timing and do things perfectly, but by the time you start shooting pucks past the twelfth, chances are the timer will have run out on the original EOC mines and they'll have gone off. I know that the timer max in the old build was 8 seconds, and I am pretty sure that still holds true, but I'm not 100% certain.

The detonation radius is pretty drat close - you basically have to be walking on or scraping against them for them to go off.

(Also, all requests for placement on OP list have been fulfilled)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

sitchelin posted:

Just tried the EOC and it's a far, far cry from what it used to be. It's awesome now! I've been puck-sniping anyone stupid enough to actually get hit by my lock-ons, it's a great finisher. I did a few tests while gathering EU and it seems like you can only have 6 pucks out at once. Any new pucks will replace the ones you have out once they hit a surface, but not a mech. I would lay down a "landing strip," then bait one very gullible Fred by pegging him with a 3-burst. The pucks I had out persisted, so he came after me, boosted across my minefield, and got a face full of rockets. I feel bad about making GBS threads on new players, but I am a man of science and robotic warfare. I still have no idea if they've got a detection radius, since most people would glide right over them.

I hate the primary on the Rocketeer so this may actually be worth trying.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

This is for Keyframe, who I convinced to buy a Grenadier. Tune that fat bastard!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Grenadier is really fun but he is definitely a force multiplier type of mech. If you go head to head with someone you get your rear end kicked (at least with the default gun/HEAT).

Can't wait to play him in a Siege match though. :getin:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

In a similar vein, what would be an optimal tuning for the brawler? I was thinking of heightening the dodge rating, heat sinks and weapons loader. Looking at Pseudophile's tuning for the grenadier, I might change the dodge for a higher ground speed. There might be something better though.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Hypha posted:

In a similar vein, what would be an optimal tuning for the ? I was thinking of heightening the dodge rating, heat sinks and weapons loader. Looking at Pseudophile's tuning for the grenadier, I might change the dodge for a higher ground speed. There might be something better though.

I might be wrong but I don't think the brawler has a tuning for ground speed.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hypha posted:

In a similar vein, what would be an optimal tuning for the brawler? I was thinking of heightening the dodge rating, heat sinks and weapons loader. Looking at Pseudophile's tuning for the grenadier, I might change the dodge for a higher ground speed. There might be something better though.

I maxed Weapons Loader, Armor, Hydraulics, and put everything else into Boost Thrusters. Brawler depends more on burst damage, so you should be able to manage your heat effectively.. plus you can only cut the OH cooldown to 5sec.

Saturnine is the Brawler herder, so he'd know more about it than I do. It's just so SLOW now, I moved to Gren and haven't looked back.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Chard posted:

Is that with underscores or one word?

One word, my bad.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

SaucyLoggins posted:

I might be wrong but I don't think the brawler has a tuning for ground speed.

Hydraulics makes you go faster.

I went for the heatsinks due to the problem of sequential targets, especially while defending an objective. I would kill one pubbie, only for a second and third to immediately follow with little time to cool save for popping my shield. If I could just keep firing, the third target would not be so much of a nail biter. The usual suspects are Berzerkers, CRTs and Bruisers and I have to pop everything to survive. I get the feeling though this is partly poor positioning and awareness that gets me into those messes; I get so distracting actively engaging that I don't notice that everyone has fallen back or is dead.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Just a word for the newbies, you aren't going to be successful until you know the maps better than the layout of your own home. For those of you that had the honor to play with Saturn and I tonight, you may have gotten a look at knowing the game. Its easy for me to say that I'm good because I can shoot mans, but really its knowing how to get to point a to point b the quickest way possible. Its also important to know side routes, as coming up behind someone where they aren't looking to cover can turn the tide in an instant.

Look at your radar constantly. If I'm not actively hunting someone down, I'm staring at that stupid little circle. Even if you don't have much range and can't see EXACTLY where someone is, knowing the general direction of where action is happening can be a great boon.

the last isn't exactly a skill you can learn, is game sense. I've played a lot of competitive games where positioning is important (comp TF2 for a while, CS:S, LoL, Connect Four) To the point where I FEEL games more than I think about them. By judging my feelings based on a "feeling confident" to "get the gently caress out" scale, I usually can save my butt a lot of times. "fight or die" is another decision I struggle with a lot, as "run or die" is also on that scale. Running from a fatty can save your butt, but if you try to jog away from an A-class, you're going to have your ankles bit so hard you'll lose both legs.

Important to note, keep your ego in check here, emotions are important in this discussion. I've had times where someone dominating me is luring me into an unfavorable engagement because they'll be able to kill me easier, and I'm ticked off so I'll bite the bait, knowing that I'll die.

I think the least important piece is actually killing mans, as anyone with a mouse and keyboard can do that. Its about feeling it man.

drat that was longer than I expected. :spergin:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is being able to suck %90 of your health in two seconds technicians special ability or just a alternate fire of its repair torch? It is like the one thing that makes me rage in this game when I am on the receiving end of it.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
My advice for newer players is to master dodging and making good use of cover. Most battles are decided by who gets in more shots with the secondary weapon since for the majority of classes, it deals far more damage than the primary. I've had battles won and lost due to ineffective use of the secondary weapon. A bad player would often use up their dodge for no reason, allowing you to get a free hit in with your secondary. A good player would often wait for you to use your secondary so they can immediately dodge it.

Effective use of cover can stall for time, allowing you to regain fuel for a retreat, or for your secondary weapon or items to recover, or for an ally to come help you counterattack.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Look at your radar constantly. If I'm not actively hunting someone down, I'm staring at that stupid little circle. Even if you don't have much range and can't see EXACTLY where someone is, knowing the general direction of where action is happening can be a great boon.

It's also important to note that your hud auto-highlights enemies that enter your vision from a distance. In open maps like Eco, it's important to be able to discern whether or not they've seen you themselves. I've been able to make use of terrain to sneak behind them without them noticing.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

keyframe posted:

Is being able to suck %90 of your health in two seconds technicians special ability or just a alternate fire of its repair torch? It is like the one thing that makes me rage in this game when I am on the receiving end of it.

It's annoying seeing that kool-aid stream in your face but the damage is pretty bad even at 9/10 tuning points put into the torch. Their special ability doesn't seem to boost the damage a noticeable amount either and is almost always better used saving someone from the brink of death.

Most of the pain comes from the redox, though 90% in 2 seconds is probably some combination of redox debuff + teammate missile/grenade. I think I actually played a couple matches with/against you earlier actually, I go by the name Robodorf in game.

Whenever I encounter a troublesome tech myself I've had good luck using hellfires against them since that's one of my worst enemies as a tech. That, and those raiders that instagib me the second I round a corner :saddowns:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Hypha posted:

Here's what I use on my Brawler.

Weapons Loader is great because both weapons are burst fire, and more shots=more better, does result in more heat though, but we'll get to that in a bit. Armor is great even on Brawler because even though the return on investment is a bit smaller for the C's, you find yourself barely surviving a lot in Hawken, and the little bits matter. On top of that, it's more armor for the Armor Fusor internal to heal you based off of. I used to put points into Heatsinks, but I was finding that in the more heated engagements I would still wind up over the edge and into overheat, and then I'd have to deal with the Brawlers immense 10 second overheat cooldown, far and away the longest cooldown of all the mechs. So, I decided to take the points I had put in heatsinks and move them to Cooling Units which cut my overheat recovery in half. 5 seconds is still quite a while, but it's faster than any other mechs' default cooldown (though any other mech with Cooling Units can get it down faster than 5 seconds) and it means that if I overheat on kill, by the time I reach my next opponent I'm ready again, or if I overheat mid-fight, there's a good chance my enemy will be too, and I'll be back up before long, or the 5 seconds isn't usually too hard to survive, and come out on top of, especially if I can get some cover between us.

As for mobility with the Brawler: That was my original goal; I had all mobility maxed out. Unfortunately, it turns out that Brawler is far and away the slowest class in the game. So much so that: At your absolute fastest as a Brawler, you are still slower than any other mech at it's slowest. Brawler is REALLY slow. So, maxing out those stats doesn't give you much bang for your buck. I don't put points into Suspensions on Brawler because the dodge cooldown is a full 2 seconds, and getting a little more than a quarter of a second off of that much of a cooldown is not worth the investment. Makes more sense on classes with shorter cooldowns. So, I bring my armor up to 1100, and use the remaining points in Boost Thrusters and Hydraulics so I'm a bit more agile on the battlefield, and a bit less entirely at the mercy of where my opponent decides to go.

Of course, this is only half of the story on the Brawler. :getin:

The other half is the internals, and they're really what transforms the Brawler into something more like a Doom Bringer. With the right setup, the Brawler winds up as the fattest tank in the game with some really solid burst DPS to take down it's opponents quickly, and if you get good momentum going like this it's really hard to stop you.

Alright, so here I have the Advanced Armor Fusor, and this internal should be a default on C's at the least, B's and A's should think long and hard about putting at least the Med. Armor Fusor on their mech. The Adv. Fusor works particularly well on the Brawler because its health is much larger than other classes, and so has the most to gain from this. With my tuning setup, every kill will net you 275 health, and every assist gets you 165. That's over time, not instantly, so if you're near full, and get a kill, if you're under fire you'll be healing during your enemy's attack for the next 10 seconds. This internal is really great, and it makes you see your enemies as walking health tanks more than anything.

Basic Extractor is pretty simple, it gets you orb health 25% faster, which is great in conjunction with the armor fusor, since if you just killed/got an assist on someone, you can sit on their delicious mech soul for more health quickly as well. The Repair Kit further helps with that by giving you 25% more health on every health charge, whether it's one you drop that you had equipped, or one that dropped off an enemy mech. With all these internals combined, when you kill an enemy you're automatically regenerating a significant chunk of health, on top of the larger amount of health you can get more quickly off of their corpse, as well as the health you can gain from either Brawler turret mode, or the health you drop with your repair charge. Or both. It makes you an enormous pain in the rear end to take out in the right circumstances, and once you get the momentum for this going, you can take out a significant portion of an entrenched team, taking a nice chunk of health from each one in the process.

Of course, having said all that, your lack of mobility can be a liability and you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to get too deep into an engagement as the Brawler, because once you get in, barring a huge distraction, you aren't getting back out because of how slow you are, and how much faster your opponents will be. Always know where the nearest cover is, and how far away it is. Always have an escape route planned. If things feel like they're going to go south, leave then, NOT later. If you're coming up on an engagement with multiple, strong opponents, the time to leave is before you start shooting them, not after. Maybe take a few potshots with the TOW or Flak if they're close enough, but you better have teammates backing you up, at the very least as a distraction so not everyone comes straight for you. Be next to cover, and be ready to retreat along it as soon as you get too much unwanted attention.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Hypha posted:

Hydraulics makes you go faster.

I went for the heatsinks due to the problem of sequential targets, especially while defending an objective. I would kill one pubbie, only for a second and third to immediately follow with little time to cool save for popping my shield. If I could just keep firing, the third target would not be so much of a nail biter. The usual suspects are Berzerkers, CRTs and Bruisers and I have to pop everything to survive. I get the feeling though this is partly poor positioning and awareness that gets me into those messes; I get so distracting actively engaging that I don't notice that everyone has fallen back or is dead.

Oops. I was thinking of Berserker. I keep mixing up all my info on this game. :bang:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

It's annoying seeing that kool-aid stream in your face but the damage is pretty bad even at 9/10 tuning points put into the torch. Their special ability doesn't seem to boost the damage a noticeable amount either and is almost always better used saving someone from the brink of death.

Most of the pain comes from the redox, though 90% in 2 seconds is probably some combination of redox debuff + teammate missile/grenade. I think I actually played a couple matches with/against you earlier actually, I go by the name Robodorf in game.

Whenever I encounter a troublesome tech myself I've had good luck using hellfires against them since that's one of my worst enemies as a tech. That, and those raiders that instagib me the second I round a corner :saddowns:

I've gotta disagree here. Popping your special ability while using the mosquito beam will drain someone's health extremely quickly. Stacks from the redox will speed things up even more. As you level up the tech and begin upgrading your secondary weapon the deconstruction rate will get a very nice boost, making you more than just the team doctor. You're an A-class mech that trades burst damage for very obnoxious staying-power.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Yeehaw, first game and MVP. 18 kills and 6 deaths! Woo!

Fun as gently caress game.

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It took me this long to realize you have to MMB switch to alternate mode with the technician for the energy steal mode of the repair gun. I stopped going 1-20 a game when I realized that :shepface:

• Locked thread