Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't think I really 'get' the turret mode function on C-class mechs. What is the advantage of it? Whenever I try using it I just wind up dead faster but that's definitely due in part to me not understanding what turret mode is supposed to be for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Chard posted:

I don't think I really 'get' the turret mode function on C-class mechs. What is the advantage of it? Whenever I try using it I just wind up dead faster but that's definitely due in part to me not understanding what turret mode is supposed to be for.

You take less damage from the front and depending on the mech it has other benefits like auto lock on for rocketeer and increased explosion radius for grenadier.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Chard posted:

Turret mode is one of those things that is nearly impossible to use effectively. The modes got an overall buff with Ascension, as they can now boost while in this mode, and can still fire while boosting. As well, most of the turret modes now block more damage, off the top of my head I think Vanguard turret mode at least blocks 55% of damage taken from the front, as well as being a ridiculously fast turret mode, the other modes block a bit less than that, (Brawlers' only blocks ~10% of frontal damage, due to the passive health regen) but they do take increased damage when shot from the rear.

Overall, it's REALLY hard to use effectively. You'll always want to be able to ensure your front is facing your opponents, which is particularly difficult considering your reduced mobility, and you need to keep your opponents in view, where they can shoot you easily, and you don't have the luxury of dodging into cover. I think the best case scenario for turret mode is if you're at a bit of a health disadvantage compared to an incoming opponent, and/or if you: 1) Can ensure that you aren't about to be flanked/attacked by more than a couple of people. or 2) Really dominate a chokepoint by going into turret mode, then those would be effective times to use it. Sometimes as well, the increased defense can be a bit of a tide-turner if you have little cover where you can take the time to transform and be ready before your enemy gets there.

However, as a whole, turret mode is so difficult to use and situational that you should consider avoiding its use unless you're very confident in your chance of survival, and are already very familiar with your given C class and the situation at hand.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 17, 2013

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
This game owns and more people need to play it.

Have the developers ever mentioned somehow getting this game on Steam?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Zorato posted:

This game owns and more people need to play it.

Have the developers ever mentioned somehow getting this game on Steam?

They've specifically mentioned that they aren't going to do that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

They've specifically mentioned that they aren't going to do that.

Is it because they are in some way bananas or just kind of not wanting to?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea you would think they would want this on steam asap.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

Chard posted:

Area denial, especially useful on Siege servers while holding the AA. You turn into an immovable butt and just swat all the flies buzzing around you. Really it's only good under 2 conditions, your team is there to cover your rear, or you have a pocket technician, which means you're practically invincible because only a select few, the elite of Hawken, know to kill the technicians first.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Had a lot of fun grouped up last night even though I crashed and then my Internet went down. I squarely blame this game and the developers for that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Had a lot of fun grouped up last night even though I crashed and then my Internet went down. I squarely blame this game and the developers for that.

Is there a group that runs teams together? I'd love to get in with some goons and learn the ropes a bit more.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lblitzer posted:

Is there a group that runs teams together? I'd love to get in with some goons and learn the ropes a bit more.

Add goons to friends list, play with goons, have fun.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Add goons to friends list, play with goons, have fun.

I'd love to, do we have a mumble server set up?

OP, my in game name is lblitzer

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
There is in game voice chat that nobody uses.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

I'd love to, do we have a mumble server set up?

OP, my in game name is lblitzer

Im going to make a channel on camping the stairs tonight.

I played this for about 5 minutes in beta. Its ridiculously more fun now.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

sitchelin posted:

I've gotta disagree here. Popping your special ability while using the mosquito beam will drain someone's health extremely quickly. Stacks from the redox will speed things up even more. As you level up the tech and begin upgrading your secondary weapon the deconstruction rate will get a very nice boost, making you more than just the team doctor. You're an A-class mech that trades burst damage for very obnoxious staying-power.

Wow yeah, you're right. It seemed like a waste when I tried it early on, but now it feels almost mean... I didn't think the points in repair torch would make that much of a difference.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

keyframe posted:

There is in game voice chat that nobody uses.

I just had a game today where things where things were going south fast till some pubbie gave a rousing speech over the in game voice chat. He calmly proclaimed that we were not beaten yet, that we cannot be beaten by these publords and if we just hold these two silos, we can still pull it off. Only problem was, it was a team deathmatch game. :iiam: Hope he won his game cause his speech won ours.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hypha posted:

I just had a game today where things where things were going south fast till some pubbie gave a rousing speech over the in game voice chat. He calmly proclaimed that we were not beaten yet, that we cannot be beaten by these publords and if we just hold these two silos, we can still pull it off. Only problem was, it was a team deathmatch game. :iiam: Hope he won his game cause his speech won ours.

That's... that's....just beautiful. Once I come down from the assload of caffeine I ingested today I might be able to aim straight and play.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Mumble info:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post410354800

Camping the stairs Hawken Mumble channel, get after it.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 18, 2013

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Hypha posted:

I think I was in this game. Were the first 3 minutes of that game a game of cat and mouse with 0 shots fired?

This game, after one hour, is still a blast. Really need this on Steam.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty daft of them not to want to release this on STEAM, unless they are already making money hand over fist from their cash shop which incidentally is one of the better F2P cash shops.

Also, nothing worse than carrying your pubbie team only to lose by 100 points. I'm looking at you keyframe :xd:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I think them not being on steam is a conflict between meteor credits and the steam wallet or some poo poo. That was one of the earlier idiot decisions they made. They've been getting better, so that may change, especially since war frame had such success with it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Pr0phecy posted:

I think I was in this game. Were the first 3 minutes of that game a game of cat and mouse with 0 shots fired?

This game, after one hour, is still a blast. Really need this on Steam.

Nope, I was a techie at first who was the first to die cause a raider beelined from the back and no one in the blob turned around till I was almost dead. Lots of shots fired in the first 3 minutes with little result. I switched to a brawler cause they were getting cocky as hell and doing stupid stuff since, initially, they could get away with it.

E: OH YA, mumble channel found! Camping this fucker.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 18, 2013

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Picked this up Sunday, been having a blast. Been having a blast with the Berzerker, especially once I unlocked air dodges.

I'm on in-game as 40ProofListerine.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm extremely tempted to drop $10 for an exp boost. I need more exp, I need elite Fred!

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Wow yeah, you're right. It seemed like a waste when I tried it early on, but now it feels almost mean... I didn't think the points in repair torch would make that much of a difference.

Repair and Cooldown are the only points you'll ever need. 2.75 recovery is bananas, you can drain away with reckless abandon and do what A mechs do best; dodge everything. Just beware of Raiders, Berserkers, and anyone with a Vulcan/Flak cannon. I played a game earlier and one of the dudes on the enemy team wisened up and realized that I play tech aggressively, he swapped to Raider and dropped me every chance he got. We still won but hot drat will Raiders ruin techs.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 18, 2013

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Earlier today as I was introducing people to the wall of lead my Vulcan puts out, I got jumped by two Techs and an Infil just after I had popped an enemy Fred.

Both techs stupidly popped their ability as soon as the fight started and attempted to vampire/redox me to death. They ate an EMP, and by the time their systems had come back up their ability had expired and they got confused by my many holos. The Infil had an EOC, so I figured he was the highest threat and focused on taking him out. He then learned the hard way that most C classes can shrug off a point blank grenade. Took out one of the techs after that, and forced the last one to flee with very low health remaining. I didn't feel like chasing, and all the juicy health balls took away my attention.

I finished the fight with higher health than I started, and the bananas 2.75 second cooldown on Grenadier coupled with Vulcan is just obscene.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the only person who hates the Vulcan cannon. I kill poo poo faster/easier/better with just about any other weapon.

This game also favours people with a high ping WAY too much. With a 40-60 avg ping I was getting shot a good 12 feet behind walls and around corners vs dudes with 200+ ping. It's really annoying and bothered the poo poo out of me in BF3.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

I must be the only person who hates the Vulcan cannon. I kill poo poo faster/easier/better with just about any other weapon.

It's not simply about effectiveness for me. Part of it's psychological, the sound can really unnerve people. The other thing is that it's just frickin' cool. It's about style, man!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Any gun that remotely replicates the sound of a GAU-8 is OK in my book.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Played this game when it came out and loved the cod-esque arcade-y feel of the gameplay, but found it monotonous after a while. Is it better now with the patch?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea it is great since the last patch. It never clicked with me before the patch and now I am having a blast.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

In as Ulvirich, vulcan bait. :negative: I had to of gotten at least half a dozen games where the enemy team had three or more vulcans blasting away and by golly that's an rear end beating.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
I would second the suggestion to buy a XP booster with your free Meteor Coins, having double the gain is extremely noticeable. I've put 10 hours in and gotten about 200,000 XP, so that extra 100k towards leveling up Mechs really is nice. It goes double, too, since more XP levels up your dude faster to get access to the better parts in less time.

If you do buy the XP double without getting the HC doubler like I did, you will hit a wall eventually where you're leveling up faster than you can afford the level ups, but it's not a huge thing. It will impact your ability to buy alternate weapons, items, and internals for your mechs though, so if you want to kit out your robots I think running the HC doubler too isn't a bad idea.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man I hope they fix matchmaking soon because nothing is more annoying than getting a party together only to sit at the lobby for thirty minutes hoping for pubbies to come.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

keyframe posted:

Man I hope they fix matchmaking soon because nothing is more annoying than getting a party together only to sit at the lobby for thirty minutes hoping for pubbies to come.

Hate to break it to you, but it was like that before I quit (months ago)

matchmaking has always done that, and the fix has always been coming "soon" Just use the server browser in the mean time. However, that also has issues in that its level locked, which is better than what it used to be, which was ELO blocked. So now I can get into like 5 different games instead of 2 :geno:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Hate to break it to you, but it was like that before I quit (months ago)

matchmaking has always done that, and the fix has always been coming "soon" Just use the server browser in the mean time. However, that also has issues in that its level locked, which is better than what it used to be, which was ELO blocked. So now I can get into like 5 different games instead of 2 :geno:

Ya, that is what we ended up doing. The problem is that, as it stands now, there is no way to control who goes where. At least in a party, you are always together but in the server, you are scattered as the auto-balance sees fit. Heck, having the ability to switch teams would be a really big deal. This isn't like some MOBA, the players can work out what feels fair for themselves.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The lack of being able to switch sides mid game is a double edged sword. Regardless, I'd like to see it implemented.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Stanley Pain posted:

The lack of being able to switch sides mid game is a double edged sword. Regardless, I'd like to see it implemented.

Could have sworn you were able to switch teams months ago. I guess they decided to remove it? :shrug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yup, it died with Ascension.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So I bought all the mechs that were available before the patch with MC, and now my garage is overflowing with useless extra mechs for some reason that I can do nothing with. Would be nice to be able to sell them back or get a refund or something here. The interface for browsing mechs is pretty bad, and it's a disincentive to even bother when I have to shuffle through tons of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Same here. My garage looks like it belongs to a mech hoarder.

• Locked thread