Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Forgot about this game and missed out on the open beta invite, then disregarded playing until yesterday. drat, I wish I had started earlier. Can't comment on the HC rate since I wasn't playing before the nerf, having fun regardless so far. Wish the clan poo poo was sorted already though.

IGN: Pathogen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pseudophile posted:

Max out the starter robit will also net you the Vanguard, following that path leads you to Assault. Both of these mechs are absolutely outstanding well-rounded machines with few real weaknesses.

The Vanguard is a C frame, and by far the fastest one. It's hard to put into words just how quick this guy is. Automatic weapons come standard, with options like the SMC, Mini-Flak, and Vulcan depending on trim level. All models come equipped with a Grenade Launcher secondary weapons system, which I personally feel is more versatile than the TOW .. but it's all personal preference(I may or may not have been playing using the GL so long that I can't hit a TOW to save my life anymore). I play Vanguard a lot, though mine comes in Cupcake trim.

Vanguard is definitely the one I use the most, and it is drat quick for a fattie. Too bad I missed out on the Cupcake, but the elite stuff looks boss too.

Still don't like the TOW, bouncing grenades over and behind Type-C mechs in turret mode is more productive I think. Couple that with a few other choice items and you can do impressive burst damage to groups with the sustained damage of the vulcan cannon for the stragglers that your team doesn't waste after you soften them up.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hypha posted:

Sadly the game is unplayable for me now. I now have this lag stutter every 5 seconds. It works fine in offline mode, I just can't reliably connect with people or something. Hope the brawler now is fun.

I played most of yesterday with no issue until about 11:45 pm CST, then the lag spikes started happening on one of the east servers for me. Could have been the storms rolling through though, didn't bother to check.

Rayjenkins posted:

In terms of loadout? Item wise I've heard people complain about the burst damage from using HE charges and detonators but I can't really substantiate that claim. I rarely have a hard time with fighting any particular mech no matter their loadout. As for weapons the Predator get, I do like the breacher for the long range option, I can just chip away at people not in cover and do a tactical retreat with my Predator EOC if they try to pursue me, and direct hits with the EOC does respectable damage. I think I just need more experience time and point wise.

If done right the burst is godly, but the cooldowns and shot placement even it out in my opinion. Saw you and another goon in siege last night, and from what I could see you guys were wiping the floor with the other team.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

If this does turn out to be a temporary thing for you guys, then it could be the result of this:

On the other hand, if it doesn't seem to be going away, the support staff at Hawken are extremely helpful and responsive. Put in a support ticket here: https://playhawken.zendesk.com/home and they should be able to get back to you pretty quickly and helpfully. Though holidays might slow that down a bit, I think you'll probably get a quick response.

I'm sure it's that, so I have no doubt it'll be sorted after the next two weeks of what they're doing (if not before).

Looking forward to putting some more time in tonight, I need to buy some poo poo and get that Sharpshooter leveled.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Couple of bits of news to share with you all - the first is only here now because I am a bad person who didn't post it when it first came up.

Adhesive Studios, the guys making the game, have posted an open invitation to anyone in the LA area interested in trying out an upcoming build of the game and provide their feedback for January 6th through the 8th. (That's how late I am on this) The thread itself can be found here. In order to apply, you need to go onto the games' forums and send a PM to the guy who posted the thread I just linked.

The other piece of news is not normally my style - but it's fairly big and I should share anyway.

I'm part of a Hawken dedicated podcast on Twitch called The Cockpit, where we have a few prominent/high level players talk about the game, related news and other such stuff. We also have one of Hawken's designers, Chris Vance as a regular host on the show, who gives his own perspective on the game, as well as offers insight into the companies thought process for some decisions, as far as he can shed light. It's also a good place for them to offer bits of exclusive news about changes to the game and other events as they choose!

This coming show just happens to be one of those times, and Vance will be sharing some really great information about the coming patch, as well as our normal discussions and such. In the weeks following, Vance will be on vacation, so we'll have other developers on in the weeks to follow, who will also have cool things to say on those particular days. Liquidfusion will not be one of those devs however, since apparently he is too cool for us.

The show is every week on Wednesdays at 7 pm pacific/10 pm eastern, and you can find the show at the following link: (click)

If you have any questions about the show or the testing at the studios, I'll do my best to answer them. Since I know most of you will be asking: Yes, I know what the news is, no I'm not spoiling exactly what it is yet. I will say that it is gameplay related, it is absolutely a good thing, and it is not related to a new mech, since those were a lot of the questions people are asking me in the thread and in PMs on the forums.

Sure wish I was back in SoCal again, oh well. Looking forward to the show, I can only imagine the types of PMs you get there... :psyboom:

I missed the stream, because I'm a shitlord. When should I look for the recording of this glorious thing on the internet?

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2014

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It's funny you should ask because the highlight should be available right now! You can find the recording here: (link)

Sorry for the stretched webcams on most participants - google hangouts only provides the feed in a square, so fitting them to a normal aspect ratio messes them up. Normally we just eat it and keep the feeds square. Also, if you have trouble loading the video, Twitch is having problems as a whole at the moment, so just be patient/keep refreshing and you should get lucky eventually.

So the big reveal today? The removal of vertical progression.

Since they didn't want to limit news like this JUST to the show, after the end of the broadcast, they also put up a news post to discuss the changes and describe them more specifically, rather than in a podcast setting. You can find that news post at this link: (click)

Alternatively, here's the post in question.

Ah, thanks, figures it'd pop up after I say gently caress it and leave the page. I'll definitely be watching this later.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wow, gone for a few weeks, and this is what I come back to? Steam only, I could sperg for days, but won't. I'm also leery about the turning speed/health change, but I guess time will tell. I have high hopes for the future of Hawken, which is the only reason I'll come back.

I'm excited for the new mech though, so I guess that's a plus.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just came back as well. Loving the changes to the Vanguard, it was my go-to back in February, and feels like it plays (mostly) like I had imagined it should. Probably ought to join the Steam Group at some point today. The matches seem slightly better at being balanced now, but they're still off by some margin.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It really seems like the move to steam had the opposite effect of what they were going for in the long run. I could be wrong, please tell me I am because I'd love for this game to evolve a bit more.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lokee posted:

Hey man it's cool; we could all just move over to MWO :spergin:. On the real I cannot believe that their has been nothing done developementally since I've quit; how loving hard is it to implement some kind of organization/faction system?

Also I hopped in today after a 2-3 month hiatus:

Still got it. :pervert:

Good poo poo. Been stomping pubbies since I got my machine out of mothballs this week, and it's just as fun as ever. Not going to get my hopes up though, which is sad because I looked forward to this game coming out for a long time. Seeing it flop so hard is just sad.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, traditionally east had better players for some reason. :iiam:

I seem to remember the East Coast servers being slightly better for me as far as latency was concerned, and normally I play on West Coast servers whenever possible in other games. I know it's more to do with the routing more often than not, but I was consistently having better connection to the East Coast for Hawken. I'm sure there's many reasons possible, but eh. I just want this game to come back around to the limelight again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

welp is an understatement, but I guess I can be cautiously optimistic? I planned on playing stompy robots some more this weekend too.

YellerBill posted:

I don't know much about APB Reloaded-- what's the story with it?

it was bumblefucked by the company, additionally apb reloaded is published by gamersfirst which isn't exactly known for being super great at anything. like taikodom, a space shooty game, that could've been good was dropped on it's head. don't be surprised if some terrible non-cosmetic microtrans poo poo gets added.

gently caress if I'm not disappointed by this.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So much for steam "breathing new life" into hawken. That totally didn't flop at all. If this works I'll be happy though.

E: and yes, I was one of the people that was terribly unhappy about the steam move

saturnine is king goon of this game though, so follow his advice/thought process and you really can't go wrong

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 16, 2015

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Guess I should swing by the discussion for all this and add my "don't gently caress this up" 2 cents. I really would like to see the stompy robot game of my heart become better and more fleshed-out. Honestly, I've been hyped up about this game since it was first announced and tried to get a bunch of my old buds that were into mech games to try it out. Would be great to have some new life breathed into it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

I think all the game really needs is a bigger playerbase and some fixes to matchmaking/maybe balance. It was already victim to a hamfisted attempt to monetize everything, and judging from the short time I played APB reloaded I'm not expecting them to improve the free grind but not make it worse either.

I am a bit worried about what future content will look in terms of balance, F2P games always seem to suffer from introducing fairly broken paid stuff followed by normalization later on and the playerbase bailing in the interim because nobody wants to play against/on a team full of FotM horseshit (War Thunder: German Shermans/KVs, WoT: Type 59s, etc) but Hawken managed to walk the tightrope. In fact, maybe that's what killed it since nobody wanted to pay for something that wouldn't be a universal easymode. I haven't listened to the conferences yet so this is just talking off my gut feeling. If gearbox can do right by a title like Homeworld, maybe Reloaded can too.

The steam bs brought that playerbase, the severe lack of forward direction in development/stat point hamfist neutering/tiny amount of maps and gametypes killed it.

I didn't mind the pay stuff because it was cosmetics, unless I just didn't see something? The whole "unlock mech/weapon/etc with $/credits/exp" could use an over haul though. In-game credits were prohibitively hard to come by for the sake of playing and getting used to your gear first before upgrading. They did re-visit it, but it still isn't great.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

YellerBill posted:

One thing I think helped kill Hawken was a general lack of awareness of the game. I never once saw any kind of advertisement for Hawken outside of seeing it at E3 I think it was before Alpha had even started, and it didn't spread very far by word of mouth. I showed the game to a bunch of friends ~6 months ago and they absolutely loved it, I think a big step towards reviving Hawken would just be introducing more people to the game.

I think they were hoping for a more viral marketing type of thing, and it never really worked. Seems like most of the people that really tried to help move the name around just told their buddies that like that type of game.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

That's what I mean by hamfisted - they really beat the player over the head with the incentive to pay rather than grind, and instead of just being "hey, save some time and pay us a few bucks for this mech" it became "pay us or grow old trying to get anywhere." Sure, everything paid-only was strictly cosmetic or time-saving in nature but god drat was it a korean-RPG level kick in the balls of a grind otherwise. On the upside, the recruit mech was solid as all hell so it wasn't a painful slog, just a long one.

I agree with the general lack of content, though. That will hopefully be resolved, and with good maps/mechs too. The design of both maps and mechs was really enthralling but I don't know if they're keeping that talent on board. I recall some gripes about the lead designer/concept creator exerting so much control over the game that it caused problems but I might be imagining that since I can't think of how that would be the case unless that individual was the content bottleneck.

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. My apologies for lack of reading comprehension. I obviously agree with the progression issues, and you're correct in that that head guy would absolutely not budge on a lot of stuff. Most people will talk about how he hated lasers, but I would be surprised if it didn't go much deeper than that.

I do love the overall theme, the grittiness of it is a nice touch. More customization would be nice to have again for sure.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

My favorite thing about the steam release is that they forced people to buy in, then like a week later made it free. In what loving world does that make sense. It immediately lets potential customers that the marketing team had no loving clue what they were doing.

Everything about the steam release was poo poo. "Get rid of your current installation and download a whole new one, and then use this code, and then you don't actually have to use steam again unless etc etc" is functionally retarded. The buy-in was just :psyduck:

E: Because buying in to a steam beta (to help troubleshoot/bugfix) for a game that was already playable before some sweeping changes is a dumb money grab.

EE: What I'm saying is they made terrible decisions all around.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 16, 2015

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

They were really intent on monetizing every aspect they could get away with and making it grueling at best to play for free. Paid beta access is a thing many other companies do, but the difference is that they're typically doing it after building a track record and people have experience with the brand if not the game/series for which they're offering paid beta access. If they could just cut into that grind a bit it'd go a long way towards improving the game.

Unfortunately APB's free grind was awful (compared to the grind with paid boosts, which was just plain bad) when I played a few years ago, but unlike APB I have paid for Hawken and would pay again if the value's there. Currently I don't really want much in the way of new mechs and I doubt new maps/modes will be paid content, but what's the point of paying for boosts/premium if the difference in progression is clinical at best?

I paid for cosmetics, and that was after I had played a fair amount and thought that tossing a few bucks to the company would be nice, plus who doesn't want to play "prettiest corporate merc mech"?

That'd probably be the extent of what I'd be willing to pay for, plus I've got the 3 mechs I really liked fully fitted out anyway. Pretty sure the only game that is king poo poo of pulling stupid amounts of money from people consistently for microtrans poo poo is still SCO/Flysis/AirRivals/Ace Online/Whatever it gets called next. (SC doesn't count)

E: reworded

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 16, 2015

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

That blue elephant skin for the mech with the head shaped like a lumpy egg was pretty great-looking but the coolest (and least visible) stuff was the repair drones. You had motherfuckers that looked like goddamn robot squids floating around your mech.

Alas, I only paid for the Prosk pack, not much cosmetic stuff.

I bought robosquid, laserdrone, and some booster rockets. I regret that they don't have trucknutz for my vanguard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

YellerBill posted:

(posting images from steam isn't image leeching, right?)

I just missed out on alpha when I started playing. A sad day.

Not sure what the new guys are going to do about cosmetics, mechs, maps and such. Though I do know there's a fair amount of mech and weapon models lying around that could be used. The Siege Tank was almost finished, and the Pusher was entering development, so there's stuff for that too. The fight club game mode and map can be finished, there's an alternate prestige weapon for the tech, there might be some camos lying around, as well as repair drones. A few mech models without mech classes attached... But past that it's going to all have to be made from scratch. Maybe they'll hire some old artists on to add to what they have.

Things like this and I'm :allears: because I'd love to see what was being worked on.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chard posted:

What the hell, Hawken thread has posts in it? This is either really good news, or....

I had the same reaction, but was expecting "service close, thank."

Glad it's not that.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Section Z posted:

I haven't played this in ages, though I clearly recall finally unlocking the air dodge part violently ramping up my KDR all while people loudly declared it was incredibly easy to hit air dodging people as I laughed and laughed at how clear this wasn't the case for my little berserker, as my KDR literally flipped from negative 2 to +2.33 in about a day, and my first quintuple domination soon after.

But no you guys, being able to air dodge 3-4 times on a full tank was totally trivial and only bads couldn't 360 noscope you out of the air

I did have a good chunk of fun. Big soft spot for the infiltrator, once I realized the cloak was useless except as a radar jammer (if I can easily see predator cloaked people, then clearly anyone else could right? :downs:),. I'm also glad I finally unlocked the pyromaniac mech in the end because wheeeee holding down the fire buttons forever :unsmith: I think, next to people who refused to go near the big missile silo to protect their KDR in their heavy mechs screaming at everyone else to get on the point was my second biggest annoyance. Next to how barely functional the autobalance was when I was playing. So many 2 vs 4 matches, and 4vs6 matches where even if I hit F8 to "volunteer" to balance the teams when I was on the bigger one, it wouldn't let me.

I do hope good things come for cool robots, even if I do need to take it easy on my hand right now.

I'd love to see more people using the air dodge in the smaller mechs, because all I ever see is berserkers hovering trying to outmaneuver heavies on the ground and thinking going up+over will work (it doesn't)

I personally don't use it because I don't play anything that would use that style of play, but if I did that thing would be on there in a heartbeat. Mobility is key for a lot of stuff here.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Improbable Lobster posted:

God, the fundamentals of this game are still so good but it takes so long to get anything. I just hope that it gets more of a playerbase and a decent revamp.

exactly, there's so much good foundation to build on it'd be a drat shame to let it all go to waste now

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I was very happy to unlock the elite parts for the Vanguard, Reaper, and Sharpshooter. I'm partial to coyote brown desert trimmings/canvas though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Things that need to happen, Cosmetics need to be way cheaper + Universal, Skin sets need to come AS a full set, and cheaper. poo poo has to be cheap. Theres no physical product. Theres no reason to have the prices so loving high. Not only that, Mechs themselves have to be way cheaper. The biggest problems all the people I spoke to were that everything was so drat expensive to unlock.

For all the items that you can buy with the in-game credits if they just pumped the cash you get for wins up a lot (since you are killing mans for corporations) and attached some good bonuses to income for kill streaks or whatever that would alleviate some of this mess too. There are many ways they could qol the poo poo out of this game and make it even more accessible to people.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Popped in for a few quick games the other night and so my son could "shoot the bombs". Still a good fun game, guess I should play more. There were a few more pubbies actually using cover and movement to good effect in the A types than I remembered. :shobon:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The update switching the newbie mech to the Assault is now live. It also includes a full loadout of items and internals. The CRT is not yet purchasable, but it will be soon.

Items Loadout:
MG Turret - 2 slot
Repair Chart - 2 slot
Shield - 2 slot

Unlocked Items (in addition to loadout):
Detonator - 3 slot
Repair Charge - 4 slot
Hologram - 4 slot
Disruptor - 4 slot

Internals Loadout:
Composite Armor - 1 slot
Deflectors - 2 slot
Extractor - 2 slot
Basic Reconstructor - 1 slot

Unlocked Internals (in addition to loadout):
Air Compressor - 3 slot
Replenisher - 3 slot

Nice, that seems pretty good.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

radiatinglines posted:

I just got this game and it rules. I probably wouldn't play it at all if it wasn't for the fact that it starts you with a decent assault mech and loadout.

Anyone know any other promo codes offhand, so I don't have to sift through the thread?

I'll check my email, but I'm fairly sure they've expired by now.

E: NEWRECRUIT is the only one that still works, 3 day xp booster.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 1, 2015

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm pretty excited about the hint of new life being breathed into this. I'd love to have a G2 Vanguard as well :getin:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll have to go watch this after work. I figure they have it for playback.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Of course I'd be at work for this today, hopefully tomorrow will prove different.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hypha posted:

Came back, game is still awesome and fun. Still see some of the players I recognize. I wonder if anyone remembers me at all...

We played a couple games, good times.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I really wanted to do some stompy robot last night, but charter comm sucks and I had the most unstable connection. Maybe tonight I can get my fix.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What (other than to give the new dev money) is the point of these servers? Why would someone pay that much for that, aside from them being a pubbie whale.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Been getting some hellacious lag lately, anyone else been playing?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pseudophile posted:

I'm playing every day, there has been some spikes and wonky hit detection. They seem to be having issues with the east coast servers, I've seen a lot of announcements about them being restarted.

Makes sense then. I guess I ought to look at their forums now and again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I popped in for a few quick games tonight. They seem to have some tournament going on and double credits. Murderized some pubbies who clumped together for easy grenade double-kill funtimes.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

uglynoodles posted:

I have finally accepted that no one is playing Titanfall ever anymore and decided to try Hawken -- my fella and I are loving it so far.
I'm MechsuitMonkey (Any goons who played Titanfall might remember me) and he's Blackhole1991. I usually play stuff like this with a controller but using mouse/keyboard has proved to be a lot of fun, especially once I enabled doubletapping to boost. This Shift+WASD business was intolerable.

Unfortunately as ever I'm late to the party, but if anyone else plays I'd love to have a go. :)
My Steam name is A Literal Monkey.

I still play when time allows, I'll add you two when I get back this weekend. The game is still just as fun as ever, never give up hope for stompy robots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's awesome, I hadn't been keeping up with the forums or announcements at all recently.

• Locked thread