Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
That's a pretty sweet OP there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Thanks!

To continue a conversation from the old thread; I have confirmation that using overflow experience to level up a mech does not require you to also buy the mech rank upgrades. Turns out my intuition was wrong, happily enough!

That is pretty nice. I'm hopeful that Adhesive won't fall into the common F2P traps. They've done a good job avoiding them so far. I guess it depends on how expensive Mech Rank is.

I also just noticed a slight problem: The Rocketeer has the Grenadier description!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Joe Man posted:

Camo patterns don't work/show up on the Elite parts, do they?

Not as far as I can tell. At least the CRT gets a new model though. Every other mech just gets recoloured parts ATM.

Edit: Borderless window is only displaying up to 1440x900 for me, which is annoying.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

guppiehaus posted:

God drat the Berserker mech owns balls. I consistently go on Overkill sprees because people can't handle flanking manuevers and I don't really think a lot of people know how to use their items? I literally had two guys in a match just standing still shooting at my mirror image while I strafed them from behind a wall with nades and the Tow cannon. Also, I don't really see the advantage of taking the Assault Rifle over the SMG since they both do the same damage? The accuracy difference is pretty minor imo.

Assault rifle has longer range as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I sure do love not being able to join any servers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Xenothral posted:

I've started getting back into Hawken recently. Though I guess I got here at the perfect time as servers are having fun times connecting...

I managed to get into a Siege match earlier so it's worth trying at least.

Man, Last Eco is confusing the first few times you play it. I do like that it isn't the usual two points with AA in the middle. I was playing siege in what I assume was a low level server and almost managed to reverse a stomp. Brawler 4 Lyfe yo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'd like to say that EOC Raider is really awesome. It's quite a bit harder to use, especially when I'm leading targets but it's ridiculously effective. Especially against turret-mode C mechs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The only problems I have with the elite skins are that they don't show camo and non-CRT elites are just palette swaps ATM.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

USMC_Karl posted:

Yeah, that is a strange decision on their part. I actually really like the CRT elite body, but since you can't apply any cosmetic changes to it I decided to spring for the full over-haul. I guess that means it's a sound business decision on their part?

The palette swap being elite for everything else is a little lame though. CRT elite is, as you can see from the pictures, a totally different mech. It's pretty cool, and I was kind of expecting something similar for the other mechs.

I feel like the palette swap is probably so that they can design more substantial elite skins along the lines of the CRT Elite in the future. I hope.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Part 2 of the dev/communit questions has been posted.
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/28490-communitydeveloper-qa-answers-pt-2/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

YellerBill posted:

gently caress berserkers. I finally got serious about playing this game again and matchmaking pits me nonstop against rank 30 players in vulcan berserkers that press spacebar and receive an instant win. You can't fly up to deal with berserkers, that just puts you at point-blank range to a Vulcan! You can't run from berserkers, they're faster than scouts and raiders! Who though making the berserker an unkillable unhittable lightspeed assassin would be a good idea?

I dunno if the Bruiser is just a counter to the Berserker but I find that e side-dashing while they're in the air tends to make short work of them, especially if you can side dash so that you're shooting their flank. What mechs are you using?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

USMC_Karl posted:

I haven't had much of a problem with berserkers, but my weak point is dealing with hellfires. I can't remember the name of the B class mech with hellfires, but man that guy wrecks my day whenever I fight against them. It could be because of my ping (usually 300-400 range), but it seems that I can never really dodge the bastards and getting dinged for a good chunk of hp every couple seconds is hard to get used to.

That would be the Bruiser, aka Best Mech. While I don't have a solution to your ping, I find that when I'm engaged at long range or very close range the Hellfires become ineffective and/or hard to aim/easy to dodge.

Speaking of Bruisers, how are people tuning theirs? I'm mostly focused on speed and armour, but the presence of Air Dynamics makes me feel like I should be taking advantage of it with internals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I don't know about the rest of you but the game is patching for me know. I can't wait to fight level 1 predators all day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Trip report: Bot fights are fun, pubbies are idiots, the world continues to turn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mirarant posted:

The good:

Internals and items menu no longer lags like crazy.

The bad:

Bot co-op upgrade purchasing doesn't work at all which makes any wave beyond 10 pretty much impossible to survive.

I had to set my controls to default before they worked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mirarant posted:

Yeah I noticed during the match that it only said 'Press' below each upgrade. At first I thought I had to use the mouse, looking at the key settings I didn't find one for freeing the mouse but I did find three keys for each upgrade. I bound these during a match but they still did nothing. I'll try resetting.

I did the exact same thing and resetting fixed it. It's definitely worth doing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I think this is new.
https://community.playhawken.com/news/_/game-info/attention-emergency-transmission-received-r298
Another Mechmas event, I assume.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
More Wreckage stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWI-koEbK9k
E: drat, I really want the Crab Moke

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 28, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
That sounds pretty neat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chard posted:

The best thing about shields used to be tacking them onto the back of your frontline unit and following the big blue ball to victory. Guess that was too much fun.

I want to stick a shield you can shoot through onto one of the billion sharpershooters or reapers that infest every map.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If I used A class mechs more often I would be all over the Crab Moke. It's the best head with the best art.

Hopefully we'll get a lobster B class or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
That's pretty good news.

E: It's pretty odd that the Bruiser has the second highest flightspeed but I'll take it.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

So, you may have noticed that Hawken is going down for 24 hours. That's pretty long, why would they be doing that?

It's cuz it's moving to Steam.

CD keys will be emailed to all existing accounts in waves, starting with select players tomorrow. If by the 11th, you still don't have your key, contact Hawken support through the playhawken.com website.

This steam release will include some parts of the upcoming patch, but other core features will be missing until the true release.

That's really great news.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I joined the group and now I'm happily waiting for my key.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Siege is a really good gamemode and pretty much the only thing that I play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

keyframe posted:

Wish they added more weapons for mechs. Just having 3 primaries and a single secondary gets boring fast.

Hell, it would be nice if some of the older mechs would get something besides the Assault Rifle/SMC/Vulcan combo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I guess we're never going to see that cool joystick for Hawken, huh?

E: Also, is there a way to read the write-ups of mechs you already own? The market just boots me to my garage and I want to see the detailed history of my robots.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 27, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PureRok posted:

For a F2P game it sure does cost a lot of money. How do I play it without buying it?

Wait a few weeks, have an account that was in the beta pre-Steam integration or buy the upcoming :10bux: pack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

As a returning player (I played from close beta 2 onward, then quit around ascension)

2) I've played a bit of the incinerator, but it seems like heavies aren't really part of the meta right now. It was kinda cool as suppression, and being able to fire forever with the secondary. Might be neat to see in organized play. Bonus: DOESNT HAVE TURRET MODE WOOOO

That being said, I still got it. Most of my games (in the 4-5 hours I've played over the weekend) I've won. Most people are too busy playing musical chairs on MA though :eng99:

I like the Incinerator, but I feel like my only good burst damage is from the stomp.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lilspooky posted:

How "grindy" is this game? I've got a group of 5-7 friends and we're always looking for new games to pickup and play together. One of us mentioned Hawken and so I've checked it out a bit. Seems like it could be fun. At the same time I'm getting a stench that reminds me of "World of Tanks" from what I've looked at. Basically I played the nightmarish "pay to advance before the heat death of the universe" that WoT offered and I'd rather avoid more games like that (basically why I never gave Mechwarrior Online a second look). How does Hawken compare?

The grind isn't as bad as some goons claim but it does take a while to rank up mechs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some way besides paying to make more than the ~160 HC per match I've been getting or is it seriously like 7 hours of play to buy that gun I unlocked?

I find Siege is usually the best way to make money. You also get a Daily Win Bonus for each map type.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Man. Every few minutes I my framerate drops to half for about 30 seconds, basically rendering the game unplayable. I think it's a problem with my system though as it happens with pretty much every graphically intensive game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's always nice to know that high level players are just as bad as low level players when it comes to dumb poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Wow, the alternate weapon for the Incinerator is ridiculous.

E: Not in a good way. You can be constantly lowering your heat and it'll still end up overheating you. Dang man

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 7, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yeah, thats the point of it :ssh:

You spin it up, fire till you heat up, SAARE, fire to heat up, SAARE again, etc. You can fire big shots pretty much on cooldown with it.

I feel very stupid right now. Gonna try that out next time I play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Those are the best matches though! I hate stomps. They're boring. Also, about halfway done on my fourth bruiser. I figure when I finish that I'll make a bruiser guide.

Man, as much as I love the Bruiser I havenčt even maxed out one.

Hopefully there's a G2 Bruiser in the near future though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

That is a good guide. Thank you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Freak Futanari posted:

Is the Assault G2 worth spending time on levelling the Assault? It looks pretty fun to walk around with two chainguns, but i hear it's kinda underpowered, but that doesn't stop enemy G2s from tearing me a new one every time i meet them. Is it worth the time and HC?

IIRC you get it for free once you max out the regular Assault so go hog wild (assuming you enjoy the Assault)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I could have sworn it was a free unlock. Maybe I got it mixed up with old mech unlock system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm certainly glad about the camo changes. Being locked to one mech didn't make me want to buy any more of them.

• Locked thread