Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Oh also.. Add me to the roster

ingame: intothemild

Also, I get my Oculus Rift on tuesday, so I will test out the alpha support for the rift, which is apparently in this, although not in the patch notes. (Checked the patch thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

From what I hear the support is still pretty minimal - lots of hud issues and such. Their intent was to get it up and running with the patch, but as far as I've heard it's not quite there yet.

Urgh, that's not what I want to hear, There's two things I want in this game ASAP... Rift Support, and better controller integration. Yeah I use a controller, the game is fine, but oh lord it sucks to have to keep reaching for the mouse everytime I want to hit "ready"... Although with this patch I can now move around in the menus, but there's no button for interacting with a call to action..

Don't get me wrong as a UX/UI Designer by trade, the new UI is loving awesome, its just these small UX problems that need polishing, they are simple fixes, and lord does it pain me.. It's something they should be spotting to, since they always demo this game with rifts, and gamepads, its like what happens with the demo at the end of the match, does the person showing the game take control and say "ok now im going to click ready for you now"? Asking someone wearing an Oculus rift to go from gamepad, and then have to find the mouse and keyboard BLIND is a motherfucker... All i wanna do is lay back on my couch with my laptop on the coffee table, 360 controller in my hand, and rift on my head, and never have to reach for my macbook...

But all that aside, OMG is this game awesome, and this patch everything just got so much better, the UI is so much less cluttered, including playing in-game, where the old crosshairs would really block what you're shooting at, everything is so much more clear now.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

sitchelin posted:

Has anyone been having trouble with the test client locking up? I tried changing my resolution and it poo poo the bed. My monitor does not like 1280x1024.

Also, has anyone actually managed to get into a match at all? I've spent about 15 minutes getting stuck in empty lobbies, it's a ghost town.

I've been playing all day without waiting to get into matches... Although I'm in the EU...

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Just tried playing this with my Oculus rift....

Wow, its awesome, there were some problems at the start, but after a few config changes its fixed. I actually play much much better on the rift, Rift+360 Gamepad is just fantastic...

If you have a rift and want to try it heres a thread, http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1lvhdn/hawken_test_build_with_oculus_support_hopefully/

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

keyframe posted:

I can't seem to get the hang of the Vulcan. When people use it against me it seems to melt my armor instantly but when I use it I can barely see a advantage over the SMG. :smith:

What i do is keep it spinning by pumping the trigger... then it's spitting bullets out without the startup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Pseudophile posted:

Except that doesn't work, tapping LMB resets your spoolup time.

The Vulcan takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it, but it's a lot of fun. The other automatics have benefits over it, but they're not as much fun.

Plus, it sounds like God is ripping a gigantic fart.

I haven't been able to play since the test weekend, so they must have changed it...

Oculus Rift status;

They hosed it, they had it almost perfect in the test weekend, but then hosed it. Basically no matter what you do, disabling 2d hud, and enabling 3d hud, you still get a double on the screen, except with 3d hud, if you move your head left, the hud goes right. So you have to guess where the centre of your mech is, OR disable the hud totally and enable the red dot laser crosshair, which OWNS BONES, but since there's no other hud elements, you will never know your health/fuel, or your enemy's health... which majorly SUCKS. (also no radar, and no location of your teammates). The game then becomes a kind of one man show, shooting dudes till they die, never knowing your health.. It's like Rambo, but with mechs...

I will be deleting my install of Hawken and re-installing it to flush out my Oculus rift settings so I can play it again.

Really wish this support would get prioritised, well it works, but what meteor has said over a couple posts is basically, the support that's in there now, is for the prototype 1080p rift, NOT the 800p Dev Kit. Really not happy with this, it's not that hard to setup a nice conditional variable like IF (devkit) do this; ELSE (proto) do that;

Going back to 2d Hawken is like loving a really hot chick thats a total freak in the sack, to like... having sex with a normal girl who has hangups about her body.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 16, 2013

• Locked thread