Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you are playing on US-West and some prick named T_90 says "Wtf" in all chat just reply with a hearty WTF of your own, that's his way of saying hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't understand the Last Eco hate. Wreckage is a far shittier map. it might as well just be a huge flat field, it might even actually make it a little harder for me to troll these idiots who seem to have leaned babbys first flanking route, since the entries are all but adorned with flashing neon signs saying "COVER THIS RAMP, SOME NERD IS GOING TO COME DOWN IT AND START SHOOTING WHILE BOOSTING STRAIGHT UP INTO THE AIR"

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 13, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is it wrong to love playing Siege to the exclusion of other game modes? The mixture of "GO GET THIS poo poo AND BRING IT BACK," "HOLD THIS POINT DURING THIS IMPORTANT TIME," and "SHOOT AT THE AIRSHIP" is just lovely.

I'm the rear end in a top hat who types in capslock hysterics exhorting the team to GO NOW NOW NOW NOW HOLD THE AA CAP ANTI AIR KILL THEM ALL DEFEND THE SHIP KILL THEIR BOAT HOLD AA drat YOU

Surprisingly I end up on the winning side of a lot of matches despite the occasional :frogbon: telling me to mellow out. Play to the goddamn objectives and you will succeed, it isn't theoretical physics you twats :argh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Siege is the best mode, forsake all others.

This game is like that Armored Core series I played back when I was a young lad. Then again I only played AC2, so it may be different for other folks. :v:

I wish you could dash backwards, but it's situational enough that I don't really have a strong need for it so much as want it because it would make disengaging easier. Turning tail and hauling rear end leaves me with no view of the baddies. Dashing backwards while firing is also baller as gently caress.

On the other hand, being able to dash forward under/behind some airborne chucklefuck, snap a 180, and unload both barrels up their rear end is never going to get old. Why these tools think jumping like that helps them I'll never know. It slows them down, often leaves them easily disoriented, and they have to come down after a few seconds anyway. I've even seen the big C-class ones try it and all I can think of is how I'm about to get a kill and some kid is raging at his keyboard about how his jumping trick didn't work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hypha posted:

Just never miss, ever. :ssh:

Or blow it up in midair next to them if you do :ssh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just lost a missile match, 0-7

E: for reference the teams start at 3000 base hit points. Obviously it was down to the wire.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 17, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LiquidFusion posted:

That is pretty drat close to the wire. The closest Siege game I ever had was during a playtest. 6-0. The closest Missile Assault game I ever had was another playtest 1-0. The entire studio went nuts after that ended.

Yeah, that close is a matter of holding a single cap point for an extra few seconds at some point in the match. It was well fought to the bitter end, though. I'm kinda torn over which I like more - Siege or MA. Siege requires far more capability to multitask and the single cap condenses the action into big fights separated by roaming shootouts over EU fountains with 1-2 enemy mechs, but Missile is more about figuring out how to cover two or three cap points for as long as possible. I just can't get interested in the DM modes as a result :v: I get bored.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hypha posted:

If you ask me what mech generally I see the worst habits in, I would have to say the Berzerker.

"We fight in the skiiiiies!" :histdowns:

I always think of it as some kid growling "AND NOW FOR THE COUP DE GRACE: DEATH FROM ABOVE!! :cawg:" before I boost behind him, pop a 180, and turn his rear end into flight 800.

What's even better is doing that and THEN leaping into the air, out-sperging him while he's still regenerating fuel after his little fireworks display. TOW rocket to the dome is embarrassing.

e: Raider is amaaazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CJacobs posted:

On the other hand, firing downward from the air is strategically much better if you've got missiles/the TOW rocket sidearm because even if you miss, the splash damage has a much greater chance to hit the enemy than if they were in the air with you. If you've got the upper hand in the fight then going into the air basically assures your victory if they stay on the ground and you've got rockets.

There's a third hand, and it's firing one rocket, opening up with the assault rifle, and boosting diagonally into the air like a kite, or a balloon, but with an extra chromosome. Then it flips me the bird for only blowing it to hell because hax.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Setanta posted:

I bought in via steam and was pleasantly surprised, I was hoping for a Shogo:MAD experience and while it feels a bit claustrophobic in the mech, it still feels good. The tutorial was a decent into but when I tried the practice waves I found out just how bad I am. I haven't looked into the F2P aspect yet - hopefully it isn't to intrusive. I'll spend cash on it if I feel the devs have put a good product together but hate pay2win.

The only things that are pay-only are cosmetic. Other stuff has pricing in both HC (Hawken credits, free) and MC (Meteor credits, paid). I don't think there's a single thing that I could point to and say it's better across the board. Take the primary weapons for the Fred: Assault Rifle, Sub Machine Cannon, and Vulcan. The first is good for longish to mid-range engagements and is good on maps like Bazaar where you're able to control your engagement range easily, but awful in something like Wreckage, where it's like the goddamn Nostromo. The SMC fires fast but has range-limiting spread. The Vulcan puts out enough lead to make up for the spread, but has a spin-up (bad if you're ambushed) and generates more heat (not good for sustained fire), making it good as a second-man skirmisher weapon, engaging after the target has already gotten into a fight with someone else.

It's always a sidegrade, almost all the time. The internals can be unlocked and purchased early with MC but those are fairly minor improvements and cheap with HC anyway. The most expensive internals are a few thousand HC and you get at least 250 HC with middling to bad (:v: guess where I fall in the leaderboards) standings in a MA or Siege match. Unless you're an esports gosu Fatal1ty-branded master of the keys it's going to be more rewarding to play those. They take a little longer per round but you're looking at sub-150 MC rewards in deathmatch unless you're in the top 3.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brownie posted:

How do I find goons to play with? Just add names from the OP as friends? My ID is BrownTown in case anyone else wants to play.

Yep. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like steam friends are merged into the game yet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

An Unoriginal Name posted:

It's not even a habit from a previous game for me, it just seems like everyone completely freaks out and shits the bed when you go into the air.

Turn around and haul rear end away from them, then pop another 180 when they run out of fuel and land. Fire at their big stupid face.

I love when these morons fly up into the air, they turn into points pinatas hooray points for meeeeee

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They ought to put in an option to throw a player out of the lobby and make them requeue if they just sat in spawn and sniped the whole time on bazaar or that map that looks like its made of circuit boards and has bounce pads all over. Just a simple round-end votekick option. It sucks to get clowned on because you aren't able to cover the silos/EU fountains properly because one asshat thought the AA needed overwatch when no ships were up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Came for a gritty, shooty mech game, was pleased as it isn't walking battleships trading broadsides like ships of the line at the AA cap.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mwip57 posted:

It's not that there weren't advantages, but they weren't as decisive. You could make very risky plays without having to commit.

I think this is just a matter of how people are playing some of the class A/faster B mechs. Doing a 180 and boosting away behind cover is still possible, disengaging is very easy, but there are now more mechs designed to go chasing after people trying to do just that, and more people using them specifically to go after runners or weakened enemies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rockrobster posted:

So like many others I just recently learned of this game, but before I drop some money for it just want to check and see if it had turret controls like MWO?

No. Your feet are always pointing forward relative to your reticule. These mechs are closer to that loader mech Ripley drove in Alien or those mechs in the last matrix movie.

E: they're not open-faced, they have a HUD, but there's not a bunch of chainfiring weapon systems and stuff. You have two weapons, maybe with an alt-fire for them. Your mech is maybe 20-25 ft tall, and a bunch of them are described as having been cobbled together from scrap and industrial machines. It's nothing like MWO except the mechs have feet.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 21, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Makrond posted:

Christ it's hard to be enthusiastic about this game when the game seems to insist on grouping the drooling idiots against the hypercompetent teams and I'm always the one on the wrong side of this equation. Someone save me from pubbie teams, I just want to win a few games :(

edit: also gently caress Origin. It doesn't seem like a bad map but it seems to completely fry people's brains and they just do the stupidest poo poo constantly.

Which one's Origin? I know Bazaar's the desert city one, Front Line is the regular city one, Last Eco is the forest one, Wreckage is the junkyard one, then there's the snow one for missile assault, is Origin the one that looks like it's built out of massive circuit boards and rusty steel? Bounce pads all over? If it's that I think it's the management of multiple planes in a vertical space. Out of sight == out of mind for a lot of them and if you can stay off the 'main' level (that has Silo 2/The AA) you can almost always surprise them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chard posted:

I knew the general appearance is that cool kitbashed, ad hoc look, but are there actually mech descriptions somewhere in the game? I'm a sucker for flavour text like that.

Yeah, there is.

I like the Raider flavor text because it was basically made by a bunch of pissed-off sailors/dockworkers who decided their cargo loaders would be better if they put flak launchers and MIRVs on them. It was written in the voice of a sailor on another ship who thought they were regular bargemen or whatever, waved, blinked from some sun glare, and when he opened his eyes they were attacking.

:getin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did it jump straight up into the air like a delicate butterfly as soon as you noticed it?

Berserker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The part that fucks me up when doing that is the lag time in firing coming off a forward boost. I hate waiting for that poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

it still does exist, I think he means that he wants something different between chassis. Scout/berserker/tech would all be different, for example. Its a neat thought.

Yeah, basically like how the instrument clusters on all cars give you the same general batch of info, but a Ford 500 is going to look different from a Honda Prelude.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Infiltrator has that HEAT cannon that will gently caress a mech up if you hit them with a fully charged shot. It also cloaks, but is more of an ambusher/backstabber kind of mech than just a close-range macross jumpjet air superiority robot damage machine. If you're looking for something that will deliver a massive opening strike and dance around plinking away with a grenade launcher for the kill before cloaking back into obscurity, that's the infiltrator. If you're looking to rush up on someone and AC-130 their rear end with consistent moderate-damage weaponry then go with the Ol' Scout or Berserker.

If you get airsick you probably don't want those last two. The temptation to get all "AND NOW FOR MY TRAP CARD: JUMP JETS, ACTIVATE" is pretty strong because there are few pubbies able to effectively counter it.

Then you end up relying on your jets and one day you get rolled harder than the Broncos in the super bowl by one guy on the other team that seems to be completely impervious to your unbeatable jumpjet trapcard. You get so frustrated by such an embarrassing assbeating that you uninstall the game, leaving the spacebucks you bought behind.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CountingWizard posted:

I'd never spend money on a f2p game. I've been burned in the past and I'd rather just spend a straight $20 to obtain all the content.

With the positioning mechanics the way they are this game would probably have been worth 20 if they hadn't gone f2p. How much realbux does it cost for upgrades, weapons, items, and mechs anyways? Looks like well over $100.

It's a good amount if you want to just unlock everything. With like 5 matches daily you can end up unlocking a mech pretty frequently (like one every week or two) but I think it's more assumed someone will adhere to a preferred handful of mechs, eventually maxing them out before venturing into other mechs. The pricing is completely out of whack, like how Eve tried justifying something like $40 for cosmetic jeans almost nobody would ever see anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just shut out a siege match. 3000 to 0. :hellyeah:

I'm in as Steppo

Done this once before and literally said hell yeah out loud when their poo poo blew up at the end. It's tough because their ship starts attacking your base like 10-15sec after launch so you gotta kill that fucker.

Or make sure they never launch :getin:. I know the EU counter ticks down on its own, but I think you can beat it if you don't let them collect/deliver. For that to be the case though, you've got to be so much incredibly better of a team than the other guys that it probably wouldn't even be fun.

Oh who am I kidding it'd feel good to roll someone that hard. I probably wouldn't gloat about it afterwards though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LiquidFusion posted:

While it is certainly harder than it was before, it isn't as hard as you think.

The easiest way to do this is to camp the EU stations during the EU phase. It still baffles me why no one does this. It is so incredibly effective.
The other thing you can do is to make sure you always have your ship launched while they do. If both ships are launched they will shoot each other, NOT the base. This means you can effectively "block" by launching your ship before their ship reaches the 25% mark.

If you cover all 3 EU fountains, that's 2 on two of them, and 1 on the last one. They send all 5 at the fountain with the lone mech, kill him fast, then wreck the other 4 as they show up. In order to beat back 5:1 or 5:2 odds you basically have to have each mech on your team being substantially better than all of theirs.

I mean camping EU would definitely slow the other guys down but they would still get it from time to time. Shutting them out so they don't even get to launch with the natural EU countdown rate requires a huge difference in skill or strategy or both.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah, theres a lot of weird balance stuff to work out still, but its not like the game requires a monthly payment, you can easily just come back later.

The monthly payment is frustration and self-loathing for thinking they'd fix <pet issue> since the last time you played.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I unironically like that they're not really trying to make up a reason lasers are a no-go. They're just like "nope, not part of the concept."

And I'm OK with that, everyone can just assume it's a good reason like "yeah, they tried it, everyone chromed out their mechs to reflect the lasers, we burned a big city down after fighting nearby because the beams kept reflecting into the CBD, and now nobody uses that poo poo because of how dumb it is. Now we're back to nobody having chrome mechs, because everyone knows how dumb lasers are."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Y'all should add me as FAUXTON and get thy rear end/thine asses into Mumble if you're up for playing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish they would count the Fred towards the need to max the Assault in order to buy the G2 with blue points. I maxed the Fred but don't even have the assault.

Is the regular assault terribly different from Fred?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Lenin posted:

Was the match joining system fixed in the last update? I was finally put on a decent team on Missile Assault and actually managed to win a match for the first time since downloading this game a few months ago.

Also, any plans to add more co-op modes?

I occasionally get dumped onto a hopeless team who gets dismantled trying to triple-cap the silos or gives up on the AA and just plinks away at the enemy ship from spawn. It isn't all the time though. Maybe one out of every 5-8 times I hop in the queue.

I really wish the US Central server was more active. I get fair to decent latency with the East and West servers but the Central ones are lovely when I can get a match.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the problem is that it's too little too late. Barring a massive marketing campaign, the game will wither out. It's down to like 1000 on weekends now

And 980 are skeetzerkers whose only goal in life is to float in the air before my flak guns like clay pigeons?

That poo poo makes the game so drat boring and predictable. I don't just want to win, I want to murder more than annoying little footballs who think invincibility is two feet off the ground.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd be down for said events, as long as it's possible given the abysmally small playerbase.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

I don't know much about APB Reloaded-- what's the story with it?

It was a promising game that imploded and turned to poo poo after going F2P courtesy of Reloaded. Maybe they learned something from it and maybe Hawken's gameplay will be more accommodating to the change, but generally the expectation is "it's going to become a pile of poo poo."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think all the game really needs is a bigger playerbase and some fixes to matchmaking/maybe balance. It was already victim to a hamfisted attempt to monetize everything, and judging from the short time I played APB reloaded I'm not expecting them to improve the free grind but not make it worse either.

I am a bit worried about what future content will look in terms of balance, F2P games always seem to suffer from introducing fairly broken paid stuff followed by normalization later on and the playerbase bailing in the interim because nobody wants to play against/on a team full of FotM horseshit (War Thunder: German Shermans/KVs, WoT: Type 59s, etc) but Hawken managed to walk the tightrope. In fact, maybe that's what killed it since nobody wanted to pay for something that wouldn't be a universal easymode. I haven't listened to the conferences yet so this is just talking off my gut feeling. If gearbox can do right by a title like Homeworld, maybe Reloaded can too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

The steam bs brought that playerbase, the severe lack of forward direction in development/stat point hamfist neutering/tiny amount of maps and gametypes killed it.

I didn't mind the pay stuff because it was cosmetics, unless I just didn't see something? The whole "unlock mech/weapon/etc with $/credits/exp" could use an over haul though. In-game credits were prohibitively hard to come by for the sake of playing and getting used to your gear first before upgrading. They did re-visit it, but it still isn't great.

That's what I mean by hamfisted - they really beat the player over the head with the incentive to pay rather than grind, and instead of just being "hey, save some time and pay us a few bucks for this mech" it became "pay us or grow old trying to get anywhere." Sure, everything paid-only was strictly cosmetic or time-saving in nature but god drat was it a korean-RPG level kick in the balls of a grind otherwise. On the upside, the recruit mech was solid as all hell so it wasn't a painful slog, just a long one.

I agree with the general lack of content, though. That will hopefully be resolved, and with good maps/mechs too. The design of both maps and mechs was really enthralling but I don't know if they're keeping that talent on board. I recall some gripes about the lead designer/concept creator exerting so much control over the game that it caused problems but I might be imagining that since I can't think of how that would be the case unless that individual was the content bottleneck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. My apologies for lack of reading comprehension. I obviously agree with the progression issues, and you're correct in that that head guy would absolutely not budge on a lot of stuff. Most people will talk about how he hated lasers, but I would be surprised if it didn't go much deeper than that.

I do love the overall theme, the grittiness of it is a nice touch. More customization would be nice to have again for sure.

No worries, I hope they keep that heroic-as-gently caress music. That's the kind of poo poo complimented by a slow stadium tunnel walkout while being showered in rose petals and the hopeful prayers of a beseiged people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

Everything about the steam release was poo poo. "Get rid of your current installation and download a whole new one, and then use this code, and then you don't actually have to use steam again unless etc etc" is functionally retarded. The buy-in was just :psyduck:

E: Because buying in to a steam beta (to help troubleshoot/bugfix) for a game that was already playable before some sweeping changes is a dumb money grab.

EE: What I'm saying is they made terrible decisions all around.

They were really intent on monetizing every aspect they could get away with and making it grueling at best to play for free. Paid beta access is a thing many other companies do, but the difference is that they're typically doing it after building a track record and people have experience with the brand if not the game/series for which they're offering paid beta access. If they could just cut into that grind a bit it'd go a long way towards improving the game.

Unfortunately APB's free grind was awful (compared to the grind with paid boosts, which was just plain bad) when I played a few years ago, but unlike APB I have paid for Hawken and would pay again if the value's there. Currently I don't really want much in the way of new mechs and I doubt new maps/modes will be paid content, but what's the point of paying for boosts/premium if the difference in progression is clinical at best?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

I paid for cosmetics, and that was after I had played a fair amount and thought that tossing a few bucks to the company would be nice, plus who doesn't want to play "prettiest corporate merc mech"?

That'd probably be the extent of what I'd be willing to pay for, plus I've got the 3 mechs I really liked fully fitted out anyway. Pretty sure the only game the consistently pulls money from people consistently for microtrans poo poo is still SCO/Flysis/AirRivals/Ace Online/Whatever it gets called next.

That blue elephant skin for the mech with the head shaped like a lumpy egg was pretty great-looking but the coolest (and least visible) stuff was the repair drones. You had motherfuckers that looked like goddamn robot squids floating around your mech.

Alas, I only paid for the Prosk pack, not much cosmetic stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

I bought robosquid, laserdrone, and some booster rockets. I regret that they don't have trucknutz for my vanguard.

I have the beta paint job which is :pcgaming: as gently caress, but no other cosmetic stuff because I prefer new guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

Alpha paint job's even better :smugdog:

You should post a screenshot of it, I've never seen it.

• Locked thread