Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
OK, so I haven't gotten my activation code and it won't start from the launcher. So I guess I can't play until they send me that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The new map is crazy amounts of fun on Missile Assault, incidentally.

e; just had a Siege game go 56-3000 to 56-982. We then lost, but still, that was a comeback alright. :stare:

I was on a Siege server last night and we were down like 850-3000. Then, all of a sudden, everybody realized what the gently caress we were supposed to be doing and we got our poo poo together. We moved as a unit and flanked, took EU, and while that was being deposited, others moved to take AA. Then we held AA until they shot our battleship to death in desperation. Rinse and repeat, and we won. It was a super satisfying victory. Then some guy from the losing team was raging in text chat and called me a fuckstain. :v: It was glorious!

This game is so much fun. I'm not that great at twitch aiming so I think the slower pace of battles versus other FPS's really suits me. Getting behind cover, planning and leading people, flanking, and finding the rhythm of your mech is so much fun and so deep.

Not sure if I want to buy the Nemesis pack yet. Honestly I feel so comfortable with Fred that I never play the other any of the other mechs I have unlocked (all two of them :frogbon: )

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 16, 2014

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Setanta posted:

I bought in via steam and was pleasantly surprised, I was hoping for a Shogo:MAD experience and while it feels a bit claustrophobic in the mech, it still feels good. The tutorial was a decent into but when I tried the practice waves I found out just how bad I am. I haven't looked into the F2P aspect yet - hopefully it isn't to intrusive. I'll spend cash on it if I feel the devs have put a good product together but hate pay2win.

I haven't spent a dime on this game and I'm still rocking Fred with the default weapons and I usually do pretty well. Occasionally I will run into a team of people with pimped out mechs that just destroys us but honestly I think it's because they have been playing for long enough to get really good.

It seems like there is no reason not to have a full spread of items and internals but by the time you are good enough for those to make a difference you have probably already gotten enough credits to buy what you need.

I still want to try all the new mechs so I might get the Nemesis pack.

Also, I find that attacking from the air can have some advantages in some situations. If an enemy is preoccupied with something else and you can get in behind from the air, you probably have an extra second or so before they figure out where you are.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 18, 2014

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
There are a few things I am missing in this game and I'm wondering if maybe I'm just missing them or something:

-Are there any key commands for communication other than "enemy spotted" and "help!"? I would like to be able to thank people for saving my dumb rear end or technicians for healing it. Instead I just turn towards them and nod :unsmith:

-Do items not regenerate until death? It would be nice (and make sense I think) to get them back when you get back to the base to unload EU or something.

Add me to your friends list if you want another goon to play with, username is the same as here.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I guess that it depends on whether you want tech to be another mech to use or an essential part of the team. In TF2, a medic is pretty much indispensable, and a team with four combat classes and a medic will usually beat a team with six combat classes. However many people (myself included) don't enjoy playing medic. I want to kill things, not heal people, damnit.

In both games, it sucks being on a team where nobody wants to go tech/medic and the other team has one. If there were something to it that made people want to play it more, or made it less of a powerful team asset, then it might be a bit more balanced when one team has a tech and one team doesn't.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

WarLocke posted:

How easy is this game to get into? And where on the spectrum does it fall between your typical CoD clone and Mechwarrior Online? I much prefer the slower strategic big stompy mech play than the typical 'turn corner and get headshot by dude' games...

It's pretty easy to jump into. You can do well against pubbies with 5 hours into the game or so. No need to immediately start grinding or buying stuff either, the CRT is the best all around mech to start with the internals and items, while advantageous, are not a necessity. Do the tutorial, some bot matches, then some online team deathmatch to get familiar with the combat. Maybe try Missile Assault (which is basically five place king of the hill) then Siege.

The pace is slower and more position based than COD/MW/BF4 but not slow and stompy like the old mech games. Pacing feels a lot like TF2 to me but maybe a bit slower, except you don't have to worry about standing still because there are no headshots. The radar makes it different as well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

FAUXTON posted:

Done this once before and literally said hell yeah out loud when their poo poo blew up at the end. It's tough because their ship starts attacking your base like 10-15sec after launch so you gotta kill that fucker.

Or make sure they never launch :getin:. I know the EU counter ticks down on its own, but I think you can beat it if you don't let them collect/deliver. For that to be the case though, you've got to be so much incredibly better of a team than the other guys that it probably wouldn't even be fun.

Oh who am I kidding it'd feel good to roll someone that hard. I probably wouldn't gloat about it afterwards though.

I've had maybe five or six of those matches. I've also been on the receiving end of that probably five or six times. It's never that much fun but of course it really sucks to be on the losing end. When we are down like 3000-600 or something and I know we aren't going to turn it around I usually just stop going for EU/AA and practice flanking, picking people off, and general deathmatch stuff. You learn a lot more about combat when you are at a disadvantage.

The cool thing though is that in Siege there's not much you can't come back from. If you play smart and get a lead, you will keep it until the game is done. If every battle is close and the other team manages to get their battleship in the air and keep AA but just barely, then the score might be 2900-500 but you can still come back from it if they get lazy and/or your team starts to play just a little better. The best games are the ones where you make an awesome comeback like that.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

1) yes

2) yes
3) no, learn how it works. its better to be safe and blow it up than miss completely. I've shot between two guys in a hallway, giving up a kill because I thought it would hit :ughh:
You can also use it to splash around corners.

Additionally, If you play c-class mechs, don't use the turret mode unless you're a vanguard or you have a tech on your butt. The loss of mobility hurts a lot and you'll die more than you kill people with it. Stick with teammates, unless you're playing a sneak mech, then stay close enough to get to them quickly, but far away enough that you can take alternate routes and flank the enemy.

Stick with your team mates unless you are going to be facing an enemy from a choke point. For example, on Wreckage, going down towards AA from one of the bases, there are some tight choke points and if everybody tries to squeeze through there then the other team can rain splash damage on them from the big open AA area. It usually works better if at least one or two people flank and keep the other team from being able to focus fire on one area.

It is very important to always know where your team mates are though, and be able to run back to them when you are getting your rear end beat.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

SynthOrange posted:

I played my first game of Siege last night. Logged into a guy screaming "FFS stop shooting at the battleship!" and I immediately went "You can shoot at the battleship? Holy poo poo I can shoot and damage the battleship!" :downs:

If the battleship is already close to your base with only a bit of health left and the other team is kicking your rear end on the AA then it's probably a better choice for everyone to focus fire on the battleship, you will take it down quicker than trying to all take and hold AA for one missile. When everybody shoots at the big glowing thing in the sky it will go down pretty quickly. What usually happens though is half the team gives up and sits there shooting at the ship, and the other half tries and fails miserably to take AA.

For the same reason, if you are on the winning side and the team isn't inside their base and protected while shooting your battleship, it's a good idea to go over and harass them to buy your ship some more time. Most pubbies are happy to just sit on the AA though doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I loved this game but the thing that killed my interest was the game modes not really changing that much and the grind to get items without purchasing them. It took loving forever to get upgraded mechs or weapons. I wish they had done it like TF2, with sidegrade weapons dropping pretty easily and rare cosmetic items requiring grind and/or purchasing.

• Locked thread