Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I said it in the previous thread, but more than anything, Hawken reminds me of Phantom Crash/Steel Lancer Arena for the Xbox/PS2. Really fast, agile mech games with lots of vertical movement. Hawken is an arcade mech game for sure, but it's still totally a game about giant robots beating the poo poo out of each other. It doesn't quite feel like any other shooter on the market. A single encounter can turn into a chase across the entire map or a tense jet-powered game of hide and seek.

Looking forward to the new progression systems. Once the game is a little closer to completion, I expect they'll roll it out on Steam once they're approaching V1.0 and that'll give it a pretty big boost in players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

The Phantom Crash comparison is apt, and that was probably my favorite og xbox game. Hate to burst any bubble, but Steam isn't going to happen.

The batshit insane community think that it shouldn't ever be put on Steam because... reasons... but I can't seem to find the developers saying that it'd never go there.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr Man posted:

Urgh, that's not what I want to hear, There's two things I want in this game ASAP... Rift Support, and better controller integration. Yeah I use a controller, the game is fine, but oh lord it sucks to have to keep reaching for the mouse everytime I want to hit "ready"...

If you've got a wired 360 controller, I have a solution.

The 360 chatpad. Officially unsupported on PC, but these unofficial drivers work a charm.

Best feature? The MSN chat button is replaced by a toggle that lets the gamepad analogue sticks temporarily act as a mouse, meaning that you can control everything on your PC using just the gamepad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pity more people aren't talking about the game. As others have said, this patch was the one that made it ready for prime-time. It runs smoother, looks better, is more accessible, etc etc.

I also had hoarded so many credits through promo code giveaways that, assuming that I unlock a couple of the first-tier ones through regular gameplay (I already have one, just need a couple more pilot levels) I can literally buy EVERY SINGLE MECH.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Mech unlocks: Yeah, if you max rank certain mechs you get a free mech in that line, provided the mech being maxed out isn't at the end of the line. The OP has the chart that describes the order, I think. At certain early pilot levels you also unlock the mechs at the beginning of the progression cycles.

My rough estimate is that it'll take about 3-4 hours of actual gameplay time to hit Level 7, when you get the last of the 'freebie' mechs, the Technician.

Edit: And you can just about halve that time, too - you get 400MC after playing for your first hour. You can buy a 3-day XP or HC doubler for that.

That's really not too bad. Play for a couple of days, get six mechs, plus probably a bunch of money to spend on another higher-tier one or various upgrades/modules.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 12, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

something posted:

After trying this again for an hour or so, I can safely say I'm never touching it again. It is just horribly balanced. A mechs are even further overpowered to the point of ridiculousness, you HAVE to be an A mech to stand a chance at getting any kills now. It also runs way slower for me, even on low, and the UI changes are just godawful.

I think you may have fallen through a portal to Bizarro World, because that's pretty much the direct opposite of what everyone has observed. The UI especially, which is so much easier to read and more coherent now.

I'm also running it at 60fps solid at Ultra detail with full PhysX stuff turned on, which was a total no-go previously.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Gameplay is more like a regular FPS game than a true mech game. Which isn't a bad thing. Light mechs are great.

True. But this shouldn't be mistaken for 'Hawken is a regular FPS'. It's closer to one than Mechwarrior Online, but it's still a million miles from playing like Call of Duty. Every mech can take a pounding, and there's a lot of inertia to movement. You take a little while to hit your top movement speed, and can jet around the map pretty quickly. Every mech also has a maximum turning speed, so if someone comes at you from the flank, they really do have a strong positional advantage and you can't just whip round and headshot them in a picosecond.

Oh yeah, there's no locational damage either, other than front/back armor on transformed tank-mechs. It might use standard FPS controls for the most part, but I think the closest points of real gameplay reference are Phantom Crash and Armored Core.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

Nope, but if it helps.. it's not actually in the cockpit. It's your visor.

Which, funnily enough, is exactly how visor HUDs work in the real world too. Funny how making things more realistic is immersion-breaking for some though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lumpy posted:

Is the level curve on equipment such that a level 9 guy has mech / weapons that pretty much guarantee he's going to win against a level 3 guy?

Nope. The most difference there'll be is maybe a couple of tuning points between them. The higher-level player might be able to soak up an extra bullet or two, but skill still wins out almost every time.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Coming to Steam? Great! My only real complaint with the game was a lack of players. Loadout launched from near-dead servers to just under 30,000 simultaneous players when it appeared on Steam.

Haven't played in a couple weeks. I'm a bit worried about that 'higher turn-speed, lower health' overhaul. The feeling of weight and solidity was one of the key reasons I'd rather play Hawken over yet another shooter where you can die in half a second. I like trading blows with enemies and whittling them down. Dropping tuning is a good call, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kuvo posted:

can we still use the old standalone install or do we have to redownload it though steam?

It's Steam-only from now. Autopatching, Steam Wallet/store integration, achievements and all that coming.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While official forums are usually terrible, there's a lot of threads full of people saying that the game is broken and that fights are over in under two seconds now, same as every other FPS on the market. That's kinda worrying. I'm still waiting on my Steam key, but the extended survivability was one of the key things I liked about Hawken. Very few other games out there let you skirmish before trying for a kill.

I really hope they're wrong, but the entire dev-blog post about making combat more 'immediately rewarding' is exactly the kind of stuff that has killed games for me in the past.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

LiquidFusion posted:

It really blows if Hawken was the game for you before this change. Trust me, you would not be alone at Adhesive, however, the numbers are extremely hard to argue with. Hawken wasn't making any money. They had large layoffs, including me.

The problem wasn't that it wasn't a mainstream enough shooter. It was that it was an originally-indie project taken under the wing of a very minor publisher with no hint on when the game would be finished or if it was ever coming to Steam.

Loadout went from dead servers to 30,000 players at peak on the day it went live on Steam. It launched alongside a bunch of gameplay footage from influential youtubers, and has a business model where you can ONLY unlock gameplay-affecting items through play, wheras all cosmetics are cash-only, which is an alluring combination.

Ah well, hopefully between the faster movement, heavy classes will at least sill feel like Hawken.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

You guys may want to consider not having Steam be mandatory to play this, because some people are not going to want to have it on their machine just to play Hawken, myself included.

The number of people who refuse to use Steam is vanishingly small. And if they can keep the game 100% on Steam, it means they can handle all download distribution via Valve's servers, which probably saves a good chunk of money.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, do you not play PC games? Because the literal majority of them released these days use Steam. Even ones in stores.

Edit: You do realize the double insanity of this, right? To play Hawken, you had to download its dedicated downloader/launcher app.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mirarant posted:

Got to play the steam version and I have to say I really don't like the TTK changes.

I don't think I've seen a single person in favour of them yet. Can't shake the feeling that it's one of those dev decisions that stems from a general feeling of needing to do something - anything - but not really knowing what.

I honestly think the game would have been fine launching on Steam as it was before. Hell, they've still got time to bump health bars up by 25% across the board and just call it a day.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Finally got my Steam key today. Gave it a while, and streamed some gameplay, even. The faster kill-rates are a bit of a shock. I don't think they really needed to increase the turn speeds, too. Part of what gave the game its distinct feel was that you could often blast straight past an enemy, or overhead, and it'd be a while until they could respond to it.

That said, it's still Hawken. I think the heavy classes more suit my playstyle now, though, whereas I was mostly using the mediums before.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rahu X posted:

Of course, there seems to be some people complaining about the mechanics of the game being "ruined", so what do I know? I'm just a scrub. :shrug:

It's still Hawken, but they've reduced the amount of health across the board, made dodging a free action and increased the turn speed of all the mechs.

It's probably closer to being Phantom Crash/SLAI now than ever before.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If I remember right, they've refunded some stuff that is no longer part of the game, so if you find yourself with a stack of HC, it might be to replace what you've lost.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Eh, it's kinda dumb but I can understand wanting to keep everything coherent and canonical, what with the comic series running and all that.

The game does have a very consistent aesthetic, which is pretty rare for an online game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hypha posted:

More health!

I think Heavies have just about the right amount of health now, but Mediums could do with 5% more, and Lights maybe another 10%. Right now, they pop like balloons.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

LiquidFusion posted:

The health increase is a pretty terrible thing. Here is why:

1) It shows the devs have no vision, or rather anyone who did have a proper vision is gone.

... Are you sure you worked on the game? Because you don't seem to know how multiplayer games get balanced. You tend to get large changes, then information is gathered, followed by small adjustements until it feels right. This is basically how just about every MP game ever has been tuned.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; is there any reason at all for me not to take the Fred to max level? It seems like a perfectly good balanced mech.

It's a perfectly capable mech. No reason not to roll with one as your main. Plus, the full Elite component piece set for it makes it look much less janky. Personally, I love the default look.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 13, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Oops, misclick. Double post! Disregard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hawken is doing exactly what Loadout did. Roll out a Steam release for early beta people first, then those who pay for a starter pack, and then going fully free to play.

It worked out pretty drat well for them, so I see nothing wrong with following that pattern. It let them build up visibility, plan server structure and oversee a big PR push on the last couple days. They got big youtubers to do gameplay videos and trailers and even a commissioned review or two, and the game currently hovers at around 20-30k players online at any given time.

Getting doom n' gloomy over this is daft. If the devs pull it off, we could be seeing a solid 30k players at peak times for Hawken too. That's a lot of robots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The free to play video game model sucks absolute poo poo and I personally think it's a shame Hawken follows it.

The alternative is a straight commercial release, and unless you're being backed by a major publisher, those just don't work out. Strike Vector is a great recent example. Around launch, it peaked at around 400 players worldwide. Now it's hovering at somewhere between 40 and 80 people on at any given moment, and still declining.

Hawken still hasn't properly launched, and has about ~1700 players online right now.

So, you've got a choice. Go for the old business model and watch as your game becomes a ghost town in a week, or go F2P and have thousands of players on at any given time. It's really no contest if you're making a multiplayer game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

They definitely need to adjust things. Earlier builds had mechs being straight-up handed out as rewards at certain XP levels. If they increased the HC payouts by 50%, and then increased boosters to double that it would be tempting.

That said, you can get money a lot faster if you switch up game modes. You get a first-win bonus for each game type, not just your first win in any setting. The figure it shows you in the match-end screen doesn't seem to take any bonuses into account.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

YellerBill posted:

I don't think any of the people here whining about the grind have played, say, World of Tanks. After WoT this game's grind is trivial.

That's damning with faint praise, though. World of Tanks' grind is the stuff of legend. A much closer rival for Hawken would be Loadout, which is extremely generous in its business model. The only thing real cash can buy is dress-up items. That, and money boosters, but even those don't really feel too important given how much cash the game throws at you. It only takes a handful of 10-minute matches to earn enough to design a whole new gun.

Hawken could easily afford to bump up the XP gain by a little, and maybe even outright double the credit income rate, and it would still take quite a bit of time and effort to unlock everything you want.

Personally, it's not a big deal for me. My brother and I both managed to get big HC promo codes back when they were handing them out on candy, and spent £10 (combined between the two of us) on Meteor Credit codes off Ebay and got over 7200 each, so we've got every single mech and most weapons unlocked now and a bunch of currency left over, but I can see how they could make it a little more generous, especially for newcomers.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

novaSphere posted:

At the time I played Hawken for a bit, I was turned off by being matched against Lv25 dudes floating around and dunking on me all day with point-D Vulcans.

Things are a lot fairer now that they've removed tuning. Now every mech is equal to all others of that type in terms of base stats, and the only customization you do is in your item and internal loadouts, which are less dramatic in their power.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just looked at Hawken's stats on SteamCharts, and I am very pleasantly surprised to see it doing well based just on sales of the $30 starter pack. Looking forward to seeing how many people it brings in once the floodgates are opened.

As it stands now, the game commands a very healthy player-base. Plenty to find a match at any given time.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 17, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

keyframe posted:

Have they added new maps since the forest map?

Swamp and Ice themed ones since then, I believe, bringing it up to nine for most game-modes, plus some survival co-op maps. A couple new mechs since then too.

The game has been steadily growing. If sales are good, it'll probably grow faster, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 17, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dreadwroth posted:

I wish they would bump up the player count per match, add a more open battlefield like with a small village in one quarter of the map, and let us do big battles. That would be neat.
Mmmmmm 64-pilot battles in open terrain, hell yuss.

Dear god, no. Hawken is all about tight teamplay, where a single guy flanking is a risk to both teams. I've lost count of how many matches have been decided by one single kill, as both teams maneuver to keep everyone safe and away from enemy pressure.

Matches like that are much more intense than any big blobby slugfest.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 17, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The overflow XP thing is taken pretty much straight from War Thunder/World of Tanks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, the general idea with the Incinerator is that you shouldn't ever, ever stop firing, right? Just keep that gun firing at full spool while venting fireballs, like some kind of terrible combusting perpetual motion machine?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's definitely not a CS/COD-style 'first to click, wins' game, but the lower health totals do bring things more in line with, say, Team Fortress 2. There are much fewer opportunities to skirmish or retreat. Once engaged, you're pretty much committed to seeing that fight through.

Like I said earlier, I think light mechs could do with another 10% health, and mediums another 5%. The heavies are fine though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, before the game went to Steam, I got a bunch of ridiculously cheap HawkenBux ($6 for $50 worth) off eBay from people selling off those Nvidia promo codes. Got myself the Incinerator and G2 assault with a bunch to spare... I'm seriously considering getting the CR-T Bluescreen body model to put on the G2. It shall be the true, ultimate evolution of the Fred!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 27, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

rockrobster posted:

So I'm still pretty new to the game with about 6 hours played, but there's one thing that's particularly annoying. Around 40% of my match ques are to a finished match or one ending in less than 30 seconds. Is this normal?

Pretty much. The game runs rolling dedicated servers, and most deathmatch rounds are short. If you join just as one round is ending, it'll get you into the next quickly, though. Other playmodes tend to be longer.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hawken would be better if the boosted rate of xp and credits was the standard rate. Its amazing how much difference the 50% more makes. Also make robot parts unlock across all applicable mechs. If I'm paying money I want to be able to have a consistent look across all my classes.

Yeah, I've said it before, but the standard income rate should be 50% higher. Boosters would be double that, rather than just an extra 50%.

The devs would probably have to step up the rate at which they produce new weapons/mechs/variants/content, but I'd imagine that business (at least from buying boosters) would be a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

How does this game compare to other stompy robot games (specifically MechWarrior Online)? I love stompy robots but actual good options for games are few and far between...

It's much closer to Phantom Crash/Steel Lancer Arena on the original Xbox/PS2, if you ever played those. There's a distinct feel of piloting a mech - plenty of inertia and weight - but it's still very much a fast action shooter rather than a sim.

• Locked thread