Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonnyCrater
Aug 28, 2011
The music for the boss fights is great. It's done by the same guy who did the music for Dark Souls, Motoi Sakuraba. So expect to hear some monk singing and chanting akin to the Moonlight Butterfly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Kuvo posted:

Ya like dags?

Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags.

gatz fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah, did you actually orchestrate the nightmare of getting four people in the same room or are you using some sort of funky skype setup? Minifoo's obviously there, at least.

It's just him and Minifoo playing. If you didn't watch the Tipping40's Tales of Symphonia LP, then there's one that actually has 4 people playing at once. It's pretty hilarious, I think.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kuvo posted:

Why do you do this to yourself?
Rationalization for my alcoholism.

What happened to the drinking word?
They led to bad things. Though if you want to follow along at home, Minifoo suggests blastia and aer.

Internal conflicts ho!

But since that's gone, make Minifoo do his closest approximation of the Genis voice.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Shoopuf posted:

Is the video supposed to be in widescreen? Because porting it into Polsy (and... a lot of other videos into polsy, now that I think about it) boxes it up and scrunches the video for no actual reason.

Alright, I've fixed this in a bad way since it doesn't look like youtube are about to fix it at their end properly.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Finally ran out of words that rhyme with "crying". It was bound to happen...

Enormous props for doing this Kuvo. I thought the dream was dead!

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
With the way this game progresses and how...certain events play out later, this is probably going to turn into something very special. Good luck, gentlemen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the youtube anotations was a video titled Let's play tales of Vesperia #243. So I guess we are in for the long haul.

It's a nice start.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Adus posted:

It's just him and Minifoo playing. If you didn't watch the Tipping40's Tales of Symphonia LP, then there's one that actually has 4 people playing at once. It's pretty hilarious, I think.

Yeah I know, I am (was :smith:) a huge T40s fan, in fact I registered so I could yell at them for sucking at ToS.

Even though Minifoo's the only one playing there seems to be no lag or other telltale signs of the other people not being there. Which is why I'm asking if they are, in fact, not there.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

In the youtube anotations was a video titled Let's play tales of Vesperia #243. So I guess we are in for the long haul.

It's a nice start.

Remember those videos are 10 min each. Still, this definitely won't be a short LP.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

darealkooky posted:

It's a real shame the only version available in english is a beta version of the game.

The PS3 version really doesn't add that much. A (boring) dungeon, a new playable character, a couple (bad) story additions to give that new character a story arc, a couple side quests, and an absolutely infuriating post-game dungeon. Also like three artes for every character, they already have a ton and adding three more doesn't change much. Plus you get to experience longer loading times and worse performance in battle when a lot of effects are going on. The 360 version is far from a beta.

Ometeotl posted:

As for the Yuri thing, the VA is named Yuri Lowenthal and the character Yuri Lowell, and he couldn't voice him because he voiced the main character in the previous game and I guess they didn't want a similar voice for two protagonists in a row.

Troy Baker is a much better fit for Yuri anyway, so I'm glad for this decision.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm assuming Vicas will do an lp for a Namco-Bandai game on the 360 with Geop and Kuvo at some point? I sense strong potential here. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this lp. I'm gonna laugh so hard the moment Kuvo first gets into an encounter with them, though I know it'll be a long time before that happens. Also, DON'T MISS sidequests. The game's pretty bad about the time frames of when you can start/continue with sidequests, especial when it comes to getting costumes and weapons(gently caress you Brionac).

I love how this first ep ends with Kuvo's "encraseration".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Singh Long posted:

Also, DON'T MISS sidequests. The game's pretty bad about the time frames of when you can start/continue with sidequests, especial when it comes to getting costumes and weapons(gently caress you Brionac).

Don't worry, Kuvo is going to miss all of the sidequests. Unless Vicas somehow manages to rope him onto starting one, which I highly doubt. Maybe if it's particularly interesting, funny, or has costumes as a reward.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Amppelix posted:

Don't worry, Kuvo is going to miss all of the sidequests. Unless Vicas somehow manages to rope him onto starting one, which I highly doubt. Maybe if it's particularly interesting, funny, or has costumes as a reward.

Knowing the Tales Of series, he's probably already been locked out of a couple sidequests.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've been missing this ever since the T40's disbanded, you guys playing silly JRPG's was probably the hardest I've laughed at anything, and Symphonia was one of my favorite LP's.

Plus I only have a PS3 and wanted to play this game.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I think Vicas is aiming to steer Kuvo toward side-questing and such. He's probably got a 100% faq on-hand along with his booze :v:

Can't remember if I ever saw the king of this place in my time with this game (or if there is one?). Right now, I'm envisioning the king as Senator Armstrong, since this is the privatized, bootstrap kingdom and all.

Also, alternate thread title: "The Quest to Repair the Fountainhead" :smugdog:

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
One thing I will say about Yuri, once you get through a good chunk of the game, you'll probably regret making androgynous jokes about him. Just sayin.

Also, there are two non-spoiler items you should immediately get, though I can't remember if they're sold in the shop you blatantly skipped. The first is useful for switching characters in battle(dunno why you have to buy a game mechanic), while the second boosts your walking speed in the world map.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You can't get either of those until near the end of part 1, unfortunately. But yes, they're very helpful and it's kinda dumb you don't have them by default.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Singh Long posted:

One thing I will say about Yuri, once you get through a good chunk of the game, you'll probably regret making androgynous jokes about him. Just sayin.

Also, there are two non-spoiler items you should immediately get, though I can't remember if they're sold in the shop you blatantly skipped. The first is useful for switching characters in battle(dunno why you have to buy a game mechanic), while the second boosts your walking speed in the world map.

I think those items were on the marketplace to buy as DLC for the game, not sure if I remember that right though. That could be a reason, but still, it's a dumb thing to not have available from the start.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
I bought this game pretty soon after it first came out and usually make it about halfway through before I get distracted, so hopefully you'll make it farther than me. I'm not looking forward to getting some of the songs stuck in my head again though.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I can't stop myself from playing these games whenever they come out. This is easily the best one that I've played. Full credit for this goes to the dog, of course.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Aha, I can post. Yeah, this game is actually pretty good (even if my hour count is still way too high even for that)

I'll be steering kuvo in the general direction of sidequests but I haven't really decided what I'm gonna make completely sure he does.

Except Fell Arms :unsmigghh:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Vicas posted:

Aha, I can post. Yeah, this game is actually pretty good (even if my hour count is still way too high even for that)

I'll be steering kuvo in the general direction of sidequests but I haven't really decided what I'm gonna make completely sure he does.

There's stuff like the dark-enforcer where you learn some artes and get a nice and edgy costume at the end of it in exchange for sleeping an extra time at the inns you visit and then there's stuff like the zodiac brionac spear quest where we don't even know if Kuvo is even going to use that character/care enough about getting a good weapon and ability.

As a fellow "I don't really want to tell you how many hours I've spent with this game because it's kinda fun" I trust in your judgement.
I do hope Kuvo loves warehouses and block puzzles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dastardly posted:

I do hope Kuvo loves warehouses and block puzzles

Oh my god. They brought back those abominations from Abyss?

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You can't get either of those until near the end of part 1, unfortunately. But yes, they're very helpful and it's kinda dumb you don't have them by default.

drat, guess my memory was off. It's been 3 years since I finished ToV. By the way, I forgot if your LP addressed this, but does completing the FA sidequest trigger the FU moment even on a first attempt or does Kuvo have to beat the game first? That would totally make this LP awesome.

Derpes posted:

I think those items were on the marketplace to buy as DLC for the game, not sure if I remember that right though. That could be a reason, but still, it's a dumb thing to not have available from the start.

Actually, it was just some health items/skills. Yes, the game essentially had pointless IAPs for its DLC.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Singh Long posted:

drat, guess my memory was off. It's been 3 years since I finished ToV. By the way, I forgot if your LP addressed this, but does completing the FA sidequest trigger the FU moment even on a first attempt or does Kuvo have to beat the game first? That would totally make this LP awesome.

It does, indeed, trigger on the first attempt if you do the FA sidequest first.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

poo poo man, I'm just a dog. :staredog:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Vicas posted:

You mean you -don't- want to give Kuvo that joyous experience? If you were going to troll him this would be the easiest way! The authentic 'blind but trying to get most of the cool sidequests' experience involves this troll! For me it ended with no more revival or healing items, only Karol alive (never used him before), me spamming all of my hourglasses and hoping he'd die before Karol did. I -did- win, but still felt super trolled by fell arm boss not being a separate, optional post-game dungeon.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think you misunderstand my intentions

Also I have a bit of a distaste for massive black bars, try to keep it to a relatively small amount

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I love this game. There are a few things I dislike about it, but every time I felt a complaint begin to form in my throat I was cut short by a voice in my head that went "Shut up, there's a dog smoking a pipe!" I just love how Repede is designed the same way every JRPG"silent badass" character usually is, only he's a dog. Like, they don't even make a huge deal of him being a dog in the game from what I remember. It's like if while making Final Fantasy X someone raised his hand in a meeting and went "Look, Auron grunts more than talks anyway. Will anyone even notice if we turn him into a dog?"

Also, Yuri is a pretty fun character.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Vicas, make Kuvo try and do all the special boss conditions. It can't possibly go wrong.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Oh man, this game :allears:

Vicas, please steer him toward some of the more hilarious costumes; it's kind of criminal how weirdly restrictive it is with time windows on sidequests for cosmetic stuff.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Adus posted:

Vicas, make Kuvo try and do all the special boss conditions. It can't possibly go wrong.

you are gonna be so mad at the next boss fight :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Vicas is the thread's personal dancing monkey.

Feels nice to just kinda hang around and not have any responsibility :smugdog:

Er, I mean,

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Vicas posted:

you are gonna be so mad at the next boss fight :v:

Aside from a lame reward and achievement, there's no point in doing all of them. I think we'll let this slide. Besides, knowing Kuvo(or the average player for that matter), he'll do some by accident anyway.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Singh Long posted:

Aside from a lame reward and achievement, there's no point in doing all of them.

The point would be his pain and suffering.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Singh Long posted:

Aside from a lame reward and achievement, there's no point in doing all of them.

But that's like saying True Knight's not Yuri's best costume :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dastardly posted:

But that's like saying True Knight's not Yuri's best costume :colbert:

How can it be when Dark Enforcer exists? :colbert:

Edit: probably should have been spoilered.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 8, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Oh boy another Tales LP by Kuvo, this is 5 star thread written all over it. I can't wait to see how you will think of Yuri since he one of the better jRPG protagonist out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

Vicas posted:

Please oh please get him to do Dark Enforcer.

Although it's a shame he won't be able to see the EX dungeon since it's restricted to NG+, I would have LOVED to see Kuvo react to seeing that guy again.

EDIT: You just need a completed save file loaded, not NG+. I am dumb.

Asbel fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 8, 2013

• Locked thread