Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah, Yuri is pretty great, but honestly most of the cast of this game is really solid. It delves into the common tropes once in a while but it actually manages to dodge some of them as well. I'm sad there won't be 4-player shenanigans like Symphonia but I look forward to this either way.

Also I really like this game and for some reason punished myself by getting all the achievements so keep me in mind for like, back-up commentary or something.

Adus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Dastardly posted:

I remember that half of the games achievements are tied to the easy-to-figure-out secret conditions you have to perform in each boss battle which I'm sure Kuvo will figure out. They are worth 115 achievement points after all.

Yes... Yes that thing you said is totally true.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah, did you actually orchestrate the nightmare of getting four people in the same room or are you using some sort of funky skype setup? Minifoo's obviously there, at least.

It's just him and Minifoo playing. If you didn't watch the Tipping40's Tales of Symphonia LP, then there's one that actually has 4 people playing at once. It's pretty hilarious, I think.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Vicas, make Kuvo try and do all the special boss conditions. It can't possibly go wrong.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Singh Long posted:

Aside from a lame reward and achievement, there's no point in doing all of them.

The point would be his pain and suffering.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Vicas posted:

But they make their way to a statue with a secret path, and Yuri notices her Bodhi Blastia (really don't worry what this is, it basically never comes up).

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Vicas! Stop confusing me!

It's subtle but in that scene Yuri's noticing something specific about her blastia (and it's not surprise about her healing ability). It actually does come up again later.

Adus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 9, 2013

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Vicas posted:

you are gonna be so mad at the next boss fight :v:

As soon as Minifoo took control I knew it was over.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Calihan posted:

Or the drunken singing of songs from the 90s.

Well Geop is here so you might still get that.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

MiniFoo posted:

whoops sorry

Don't get me wrong. I don't actually care if you get the dumb achievements. I just thought it was amusing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Because it's about butts.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, this one?

This is great.

If Estelle is on AI then you're best off turning off all her moves except heals and maybe Photon. Doesn't stop her from trying to attack every so often but at least she's not wasting TP on her useless artes.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
The PS3 version has a ton of extra goodies, but it is made ultimately worse by shoehorning in Patty the toddler pirate, the most anime of them all.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

WhiffleballDude posted:

Yuri is more of a straightman with a sense of humor than a "smug rear end in a top hat." Everyone around him is some kind of JRPG or anime stereotype (albeit usually written decently, if not quite well) and he just makes quips and humorous observations about how bizarre everything is while still going along with it.

That's kind of what Cloud was, though. Cloud's 'smug rear end in a top hat' phase only lasts a few hours. He didn't make quite as many sarcastic comments or quips like Yuri, but it was clear he wasn't just some humorless husk.

I like Cloud and Yuri for different reasons, though. Cloud because his story is actually pretty interesting and gives justification for the weird ways he acts, and Yuri because he defies a lot of what you'd expect from normal JRPG main characters, mainly in his mannerisms and ideals, who generally tend to range from incredibly dumb and 'good' (Lloyd) or just flat voids with no personality (Squall).

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
This game is definitely hardest in the beginning. I played through it multiple times and felt it was quite easy, then Kasemoch and I started a new game right as this thread began and we found ourselves dying fairly often early on much to my surprise. There are a few fights in particular coming up that I can see you having issues with.

Once you get a wider variety of skills and artes you're not so much a slave to the few the game provides you in the beginning and survival will be less of a problem. Don't turn it to Easy, though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Vicas posted:

Minor warning for the next few episodes: my internet was total poo poo this session for some reason, so I was like 10 seconds behind when I could see the stream at all, so my navigating is not so top notch!

That's when you tag me in, man, because I am a master of vague JRPG navigation. Especially in this game.

Just not real life navigation. If I don't have GPS I kind of freak out.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

necroid posted:

I don't want to derail the thread to discuss the merits of japanese games.

Why did you bring it up, then? Was it that important to tell people how much you hate JRPGs and deride those who enjoy them when clearly some exist in the thread and even the LP itself?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Camel Pimp posted:

You guys chose Rita's name well.

I dunno. She's not really angsty.

I would have named her Tsundere.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
That's a shame. You really should go back and watch it because it's pretty amazing. I had always hoped they'd play Vesperia with 4 players.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Geop I don't think anyone in the world could fill the pun quota you've established.

Also my apologies since any audio issues are likely related to me. It's been like 2 years since I've recorded anything in Audacity so who knows what settings I had going, plus I'm in dire need of a new mic.

Thanks for having me along, though! Always willing to fill in if needed.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Incredible. Needs Flight of the Valkyries playing in the background.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I pretty much stuck with Yuri the whole game because I fear change.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Kuvo posted:

I guess next session I should try out some of the other characters.

Minifoo's alway going to Rita though. The AI is too stupid for her to to be left its hands.

Rita's AI isn't really any worse than the others. Though to be honest I pretty much turned off all her artes except fireball. You also have to set the AI to 'full assault' or whatever it's called, otherwise they stop using TP at a certain percentage.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Kuvo posted:

From what I've seen so far in the last session Judith's character seems to be refreshingly anti-trope, much like Yuri. This is good because up until last session Raven seemed to be in the same place but is now starting to show as the "perverted old man". The rest were all solidly entrenched in anime archetypes since their introduction (naive princess/optimistic kid/angsty teenager/animal who thinks is people).

Incoming many words about this game's characters.

I'd say Raven is good overall, but there are definitely moments where they lean too heavily on the perverted old man thing. It seems to come up the most in the skits, which always seem to exaggerate the character's personalities. He's the guy who has seen a bunch of poo poo, even if he isn't that old. He's Old Kentucky Cat and he's been there.

I'd kinda disagree with you on all the others as well, except Estelle as naive princess describes her perfectly. Rita isn't angsty. She's pretty passionate, even if it's only about one thing. She's confident in her abilities for good reason, and cares about others even if not always outwardly showing it. If you wanna fit her into a trope, it's probably closer to Genus' "Genius Child" but way less annoying. And as mentioned before, the typical 'tsundere' anime personality, which does get a bit old once you've seen it a hundred times.

Karol's optimism fluctuates. He has plenty of self-doubt and questions of his own worth. He's not really like Lloyd or Tidus who try to cheer people up even when not wanted. He's struggling to find his place in the world after being kicked out of a bunch of guilds. So while he's good-natured, his optimism is not at a very high point right now.

I don't get the impression Repede thinks he's people. He's very much a dog. Smarter than your average dog, as necessary. Like Yuri, only gives a gently caress very selectively.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I had completely blocked out my memory of that place, otherwise I probably would have used that as my comparison rather than the ice puzzles. That place makes both the ice puzzles and the gears seem like a funtime jamboree, comparatively.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I tried to mention it during the scene but it didn't come out right, just in case you're worried that cause he just fell into the water sort of vaguely means maybe he's alive, he's not.

Yuri stone-cold sliced him up.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I don't think Estelle has much power, despite being a princess. The council seems to have immense amounts of control. They listed off a bunch of awful things Ragou was now publicly known to have done and he was still able to get out of it.

The problem is the kingdom has a pretty baffling system in place and there's no current ruler who might be able to override such abuses of power.

That said, Yuri's actions, while pretty interesting, come out of frustration and desperation. It has a lot of ethical baggage. Ragou was scum, but who is Yuri to decide who lives and dies? Flynn is trying his hardest to work his way up the system so he can rightfully punish people who do bad things and Yuri just does it anyway. He thinks the system doesn't work and as of now he seems to be right, but going down that path is potentially very chaotic.

It's reasonable to want to side with Yuri but I don't think we're supposed to believe he's a hero.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Games have always had that issue of throwing nameless human enemies at you and pretending you're not some sort of mass murderer after you slice them with swords and set them ablaze with fireballs.

You can argue that yeah, maybe you're not killing them but they also went out of their way to include a skit where Estelle mourns over all the monsters they're killing. I guess there is the fact that the nameless bandits are also attacking you and you could reason your party is acting in self defense but you're still killing a load of people.

You sometimes just sort of have to accept the plot as being told from a point of view where you have yet to kill any human beings. I'm not entirely sure which way the game wants you to look at it. If you want to look at as you've killed a hundred people already then yeah it does make sense that Yuri killed a guy and doesn't really give a poo poo and it is refreshing they address it in such a way.

Decus posted:

You could argue that Yuri's judgement here is more or less in-line with how the legal system would have went down if Ragou were actually found guilty of the crimes Yuri knows that he is guilty of (see: using his own citizens as animal feed while yukking it up, aka murder). Still, if the penalty for murder is death, Yuri is legally no less guilty than Ragou.

Yeah but he's still acting outside of the system which is the problem. If you were to witness someone commit a crime, regardless of how sure you are of what the culprit's punishment might be, it's not really your place to exact it onto them. If you saw someone steal a car you'd call the cops. Yuri's irritation justifiably comes from a scenario where said cops are powerless or corrupt. Still, even if he is "right" he's opening a pretty big can of worms by taking matters into his own hands that could eventually lead to some pretty grey areas about what is right and wrong. A little later in the story we'll see how this causes some more complicated issues to arise.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Ramengank posted:

The only things that point to the human NPCs not being killed is that they have a different animation when defeated (falling over instead of vaporizing) and the fact that none of the human bosses we've defeated have died directly from battle (yet?). Actually I think the only boss we've killed period was Gattuso. Which is good because gently caress that guy.

When Karol says that he's probably just parroting what he heard from his time in the Hunting Blades, but everyone we've seen in that guild seems to just have some chip on their shoulder or some personal vendetta against monsters or whatever. Monsters are pretty aggressive compared to typical wild animals, though. Most animals on Earth run away from people, but these wolves and bees and animated plants have none of that and charge right for you. Maybe a little of column A, a little of column B?

Maybe they're hungry and humans taste like fried chicken.

I agree that he's probably just repeating what the Hunting Blades told him. That said, it's not really shocking normal people hate monsters since they're definitely aggressive and they have to set up special barriers just to keep them out. Calling them all innately 'evil' is a really weird thing to do when they don't have much intelligence.

We've also already seen an example of a monster that isn't evil, though. Judith's dragon buddy. As far as we know, at least. It's not just mindlessly attacking people.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Brunom1 posted:

By the by, if I remember correctly, you skipped a step in that "Judith's spear" sidequest which was to check that room with the weapons Ghasfarost AGAIN (which connects to Rita's Blastia names and Judith's terrorism sidequests).

How the hell you're supposed to know this without a guide? No idea but if you don't do it before it gets locked out, you lose out on the sole reward of this game-long sidequest (even if you only miss one scene, you're screwed).

Fun, fun!

If I remember correctly they already missed steps, which is why I mentioned in the video we met Judith that they should just not worry about it. The spear is good and all but I don't see them setting the game to hard mode anytime soon so it would ultimately be pretty irrelevant.

As someone who has 100%'ed this game, I can verify going through the game with your nose in a guide just isn't very fun and best left to subsequent playthroughs. Some of the stuff you have to do is so random, like sleep at a certain inn 5 times or during a certain part of the storyline when you probably have zero reason to be there, etc. I have to wonder how people figure it out to make the guides in the first place.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Derpes posted:

Regal is 33 and Presea is 28. Also Kratos is like 4000+ so yeah there are some older characters in that game.

I think Mini would enjoy playing as Xillia's old man character since spamming low level spells is a viable strategy for him :v:

That's a viable strategy for Rita, too. Fireball is probably her best spell.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I'm still not convinced the Repede thing is intentional. He has no dialogue and is a strange height compared to other characters. It makes sense that they wouldn't frame shots with him in mind.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Neruz posted:

They are framing shots with him in mind; Repede is consistantly appearing perfectly framed such that he only just appears in most cutscenes with things like his head showing up in a reflection, his tail peeking over someone's shoulder etc etc.

The giveaway is how careful some of those positions had to be in order to get the right framing; several times Repede has been almost perfectly blocked by another character standing in front of him and if he had been even slightly to either side the effect wouldn't work but every single time he is placed perfectly.

That's the real giveaway that it's intentional; there's almost no variation. Repede keeps ending up in locations that require extremely precise positioning to work, someone went to a lot of effort to frame Repede in many of the cinematics.

You guys are nuts.

I bet you also think Repede did 9/11!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It's me. I'm the main villain of this game because I still don't believe the hiding of Repede is intentional.

I'll never believe and I'll take down the whole world if I have to!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is there really anyone who still thinks this is not intentional?

Yes. I'll carry this belief to my grave.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

AnotherGamer posted:

Curtiss, please tell me you bug these people long enough this time around that they pull off at least a single MA.

Tell me what your favorite arte is, and why is it Destruction Field?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So someone realises at some point that Kuvo never actually set the AI to use overlimit right?

Right?

That's not something I've ever done so I didn't really pay much attention to when he changed those settings.

Therefore, I blame Curtiss.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I understand the logic behind setting it to easy since I think Kuvo's intent with the LP was mostly just to laugh at ridiculous anime stuff in the story, but one of the things I mentioned along time ago before the LP even started was that Vesperia would be considerably less ridiculous than Symphonia and therefore actually a bit harder to LP. And it is, despite this recent turn of events in the story.

So I definitely dare him to knock up the difficulty a bit, if only to keep them from getting too bored with the combat in the latter portion of the game.

That said I convinced him to use my favorite combo which I consider an amazing accomplishment on its own so I can die happy now.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Neruz posted:

Yeah I don't think you understand the kind of LP you're watching Derpes.

getting kuvo to use my shining fang/shining dragon swarm combo is one of my greatest accomplishments in life

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
yesss been waiting for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
wrong they are in fact

The Best

• Locked thread