Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh man, I am so bummed that the remake of a movie that spawned a toy line and an cartoon for kids is going to be rated PG13. That's totally out of line.

I'm pretty disappointed too that a movie that was pretty brilliant and subversive for its time about how we commoditize violence and sell it to people has been itself commoditized to sell violence- including a new remake of the movie that will do just that while pretending to have anything really to say about the original message.

Oh you meant that ironically welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hollis posted:

I don't know why you keep referencing Cronenberg since uh.. Paul Verhoeven directed the original Robocop and the original was Jesus Robot and a distinct send up of the 1980s and American Consumerism.

Cronenberg deals with some Body Horror stuff but really his main focus is about the inherent alieness aspects of our psyche that are part of our inherent nature and society at large.

Somebody else was suggesting how the remake could (somehow) have a Cronenberg aspect to it, LeJackal was responding to them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

To rehash something I said in the Greenlight thread-

I don't buy the "they're doing their own thing" argument as being very strong. From the trailer they haven't changed much to the original structure of the movie. Murphy is still there and a good guy cop with a family. OCP is still there as a big evil company. Murphy dies and is made Robocop against his will. OCP is in control of Robocop. Murphy struggles to return to himself. There's some action. You can't think it's not a Robocop film! So what do we know has changed?

-Murphy's wife and kid are characters throughout the story
-Murphy is far more cognizant and "himself" after the surgery than last time
-There may or may not be a central Kirkwood Smith type bad guy
-The climax may very well be Robocop versus OCP based on some of the scenes
-They've slightly updated the message to 'drones are bad'...which drat don't cut yourself on that bleeding edge issue!
-There are a bunch of Robocops!

All those things humanize Robocop into just being Murphy, streamline the conflict down, point towards an ending that doesn't betray the hollowness of the genre, and raise the action/visual stakes. So it's doing it's own thing...by taking even fewer risks than the original?

The satire and message in the story worked in part because Verhoeven also subverted elements of the genre, character and conflict common to an '80s cop/action film. That he did that without sacrificing the narrative cohesion or pace of the film was impressive.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Looking back on the trailer and just focusing on Keaton, Jackson and Oldman.

Keaton, like I mentioned in the other threads, looks like the only person having any fun in this. Also with the feng-shui office and relaxed biz-casual clothing, it seems like they're going for a slight Steve Jobs riff? Definitely fits the "let's go with black" line. I really like that update, shifting away from the power-suits of "The Old Man" and Dick Jones, and clearly targeting silicon valley types as being just as big pieces of poo poo as any conglomerate CEO.

Jackson and Oldman seem capped though in this trailer. All we really see is them delivering exposition, but Jackson doesn't look/sound as dead as Mace Windu, and I feel like you can hear the edge of a mad scientist in Oldman's "Emotions and fear will always interfere with the program!" Obviously both have great resumes as scenery-chewers, and I would hope each gets a shot to really let it all out.

I feel like if those three can work their magic, then I'll give this film (as otherwise presented in the trailer) a chance.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I read a little something from the director on CNN which makes me a little more hopeful.

I have to admit, that's an interesting idea in itself, and would make kind of a neat movie on its own.

Except there's been a massive amount of pressure in America to end the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, and any analysis of soldier casualties would should that from a soldier's lives cost they've been fairly cheap wars. Pressure still exists because people also consider the broader political/diplomatic implications, lives of civilians in the area, cost in dollars etc etc etc.

Nor did the Vietnam War really end just because of pressure over US soldier casualties...

If the director really said that, then he is a very not smart person. A dumb person. That is the term.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

Oh, bloggers that pretend to make movies. Cute.

I'm pretty sure the movies they've made are 100% actually real things. Like they exist in the world, and are not mere illusions an evil demon has inflicted upon our senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's not quite what he's saying, maybe you should read the interview?

Hmm good idea. I'm assuming it's this one:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/06/robocop-remake-gets-a-trailer/?iref=allsearch

where he says

quote:

"I actually had a take ... which is we’re in the future, and drones have been replaced by robots and are being used all over the world for foreign policy and war," Padilha explained. "Kind of like instead of sending soldiers to Iraq, you send robots to Tehran."

With machines at war instead of humans, Padilha posits that would eradicate any "political pressure at home to end wars, because the reason why the Vietnam War ended is because soldiers were dying. When you take the soldiers away and you have robots, that opens a can of worms."

So for 2014's "RoboCop," the idea is that robots are in use everywhere in the world except America, "because Americans won’t accept that a robot can pull the trigger, that the robot can decide to take or not to take a person’s life in law enforcement. So this company is losing lots of money because it can’t sell robots in North America, so the solution is, 'Let’s put a man in the machine and sell that.' That was the premise of the movie that I said to (studio MGM) in the very first day, and because they wanted to do it, that’s why I’m here."

So that is in fact literally what he said? The quote wasn't doctored or really at all out of context.

Not only did he say something stupid, he explains in part why it's stupid in the next paragraph, but does not actually seem to link it up?

I understand Brazilian director Jose Padilla is an amazing man amongst men, Hindu Beast God, but he is wrong and stupid here.

• Locked thread