Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I couldn't remember if the "Silence is a Butterfly" was an actual thing or if I was just making it up in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

You should make some sort of master post of party members with their sprite, name, what they're good at and what stories you can get them in. Because I never can remember who is what, what they do, if they're any good or anything. All I remember is EngineerCar the jeep with tanktreads. Brrrrrm Brrrrrm Brrrupp.

:colbert: You don't need to remember anything other than the mechs are the BEST.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

dude789 posted:

If we were playing as anyone else their dialogue would change as they get more and more inebriated but we're playing as Blue so it stays the same because he is the Grand Master of No Fun.

Lute is my favorite for this. Everyone else at least manages to stay focused on getting the card, but by the end of the chain, Lute's dialogue literally goes something like, "Booze! Gimme more booze! Heh heh heh... Oh yeah, tell me about the Grail Card too."

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Bufuman posted:

Lute is my favorite for this. Everyone else at least manages to stay focused on getting the card, but by the end of the chain, Lute's dialogue literally goes something like, "Booze! Gimme more booze! Heh heh heh... Oh yeah, tell me about the Grail Card too."

It's true, the guy is just having a drunken blast and giving no fucks. At least, not until the krakens in the swamp drown him horribly.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So Blue was actually hallucinating when he saw the Grail Card, meaning he suffered through a (mandatory) sidequest that ultimately meant nothing? Master magician who's going to throw his brother down, yeaaaahhhhh.

It's like

Step 1: Get drunk
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: PROFIT!

Don't worry Blue, you still have your teleport spell.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KataraniSword posted:

And VermillionSand is the reason that Blue doesn't really need MegaWindBlast through his scenario. MWB has a slightly higher damage mod, I think, but Vermillion Sand is still a perfectly good multi-target damage spell. Since the gift for Realm magic is exclusive to people FROM the Magic Kingdom - which is to say, Blue and Rouge only - he might as well just have that, instead.

I forget, is Vermillion Sand unblockable? Because I know that some annoying enemies will block MegaWindBlast fairly often.

TurnipFritter posted:

The intro to the SNES version explains the backstory to the game about Three Evil Gods and how the Evilest One was sealed away using ten magic stones. In the actual game, they only included events for two of those evil gods (the third just kind of hangs out in every bar in the game for no apparent reason) and 7 of those magic rocks, despite collecting them sort of being the main plot. Take that as you will.

This is part of the reason why Minstrel Song was made I think. Minstrel Song includes events for all three gods and all 10 stones. And they made the questline with Gray unique to him and it sounds like easier (about 80% can be done with store-bought materials).

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

I forget, is Vermillion Sand unblockable? Because I know that some annoying enemies will block MegaWindBlast fairly often.

This is part of the reason why Minstrel Song was made I think. Minstrel Song includes events for all three gods and all 10 stones. And they made the questline with Gray unique to him and it sounds like easier (about 80% can be done with store-bought materials).

Kind of. Gray is recruitable and you can get his sword in any player's quest. You just can't finish his quest on any storyline other than his own. It becomes a dead end right before the final event and accompanying boss fight, I believe.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today We're going to continue on our path to become a master magician by doing the Sword Card quest.

First of all we pop into Kyo to try and get the Mind magic gift on some members of our team because I figure that Mei-Ling wouldn't mind having it, but the Lady here won't let us get it.

But that's no matter. Mind magic's not that important right now and I'm sure Wakatu can't be that bad right?

:j: Wakatu is full of ghosts. You need at least one person from there to travel safely.
I am from Wakatu. I am going there to pray for the men who were butchered by Trinity.
:j:Shh...they might hear you. Do you want us to get into trouble? We'll make your travel arrangements.

So Wakatu...As the stewardesses at the Koorong airport mentioned, they won't let you go to Wakatu without Gen in your party. It's not the most hospitiable place.

Wakatu

The game doesn't really expand on it too much aside from what Gen mentioned on the way here, but Wakatu has seen better days. The area has a great atmosphere and generally does a great job of showing rather than telling that something terrible happened here.

Unfortunately, we still don't know too much aside from that it was Trinity's fault so perhaps a bit more telling would be helpful.

The enemies here are decently tough. Occasionally these ninjas will pop out and dash towards you.

Gen guides us around Wakatu and does a fairly decent job of it. He won't lead you too any treasure though. You'll have to find that on your own.

For the most part though the treasure's not that great. These were a pair of iron clogs. An interesting piece of armor that can also be used in battle to deal some slight damage.

If you go around the back of the main structure you'll end up here in the blade chamber. If Gen is strong enough you'll get a great Katana, but we're not using him right now so we don't get anything. Don't worry I'll show it off when we eventually have Gen in our team.

Some of the ninja enemies will force a battle against this group of ghosts. Normally ghosts are low level enemies who we would have no problem dealing with. These guys are quite a bit stronger and can be very dangerous for a team starting out. We don't have any problem with them though.

This is Vermillion sand. It's your second best bet for consistent damage from a mage after MegaWindBlast. Unfortunately it is also limited to Blue and Rouge as they are the only ones with the gift for Realm magic.

I'm not really sure what this pinwheel thing is, but it manages to block us from going in the nearest door so we have to go around. The blood all over the screen doors is a neat touch. Gives the impression that there was some sort of heroic last stand here.

Edit: Turnip Fritter says that in Japanese media the Red Pinwheel is sign a that there are the ghosts of children around. Thus indicating that it was less of a heroic last stand and more of a massacre. :smith:

And more blood smears here. Wakatu is really a very vell designed area from a visual standpoint.

And here we are in the sword shrine. For as well designed as this area is visually, this minigame to get the card will make you never want to return to Wakatu.

It's basically a timing puzzle. The goal is to press circle (circle is confirm in Saga Frontier by the way. I don't think I've mentioned that yet) to line up three sword shadows. Lining up three monsters will cause a fight, and lining up three rabbits does nothing.

Here's a gif because it's hard to see the shadows in still screenshots.

Every time the swords line up. They make a sort of clanking sound like a sword being sheathed. This is supposed to help cue you in on the timing.

This isn't terrible advice really. Watching the swords is too distracting.

Of course one issue is that Gen has to say something after every miss. Thus meaning you have to open your eyes to close the text box if you hit one of the rabbits.

And of course I manage to botch it a few (dozen) times and end up fighting some monsters. You'll fight the same group every single time by the way. This Trisaur along with the ghosts is going to be the second major roadblock for early game teams who want to beat this quest.

Eventually go we get the card. Now really, I don't mind the idea of the saber card minigame. It makes some sense thematically, but in practice the timing is way too strict. It took me about 15 minutes to complete the card minigame. This might not seem like to much, but remember that we've only been playing Blue's quest for a little over 2 hours.

At least we get some nice concept art of Gen I suppose. Anyway, I haven't quite decided what to do next in Blue's quest. We have some options though so I guess we'll just see where the game takes us. I hope you will join me then.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 15, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: A bunch of stuff that didn't really need to be here; I forgot we aren't done with the Arcana quest and jumped a few guns.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 11, 2014

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I am absolutely loving the idea of your travel agent refusing to book you a plane somewhere because it's full of ghosts.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Thinky Whale posted:

I am absolutely loving the idea of your travel agent refusing to book you a plane somewhere because it's full of ghosts.

Which is quite discriminant towards the living skeletons and other miscellanous undead people that publically roam Koorong's streets. I am certain these beings would want to visit their friends and families in Wakatu, but nope; the agencies are anti-undead for some reason.

horroricane
Feb 26, 2012

time to be real
as much as I really want to forget this game... I can't. Damnit now I want to put more time into it. I love it. I love this game so much. Blue's story is deeply involved in the story, although the designers didn't do a good job incorporating it into the overall goal of the game.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

dude789 posted:

Every time the swords line up. They make a sort of clanking sound like a sword being sheathed. This is supposed to help cue you in on the timing.

The thing to remember about this particular test, is not that the swords clank together when the swords are already lined up visually, they literally clank together at the exact time you have to press Circle to stop the shadows on all-Sabers. If you're off by the tiniest amount, you'll usually get all Rabbits.

If it weren't for the ninjas (which count as Undead encounters, by the way), this would always have been the easiest of the four cards to obtain for me. Then again, I've always been a rather audio-oriented person.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I just got caught up, and right at one of my favourite characters too.

Dude, you've been doing a great job with the LP, and I've really been enjoying it. I never bothered to do Emelia's question--I tried, but I just never really got invested in it at all. It was nice seeing how she plays out, even if the story line is mostly incoherent.

Blue's was probably my favourite just because magic and being able to roam wherever was what really appealed to me about the game. He's got just a touch more story than Lute, too, but mostly the game just says 'alright here you go.'

I'm learning all kinds of new things from this.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Indeedy. On my original playthrough years ago, the two people I didn't finish were Blue (wanted to save him for last) and Riki, whose opening I couldn't get past. Hoping I can finish the entire game this time on my parallel playthrough :)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FelicityGS posted:

I'm learning all kinds of new things from this.
Excellent! That's what I set out to do when I started this LP and I'm glad to see people taking an interest in learning the secrets and interesting design decisions of this game. Speaking of learning here's the next gameplay update on magic.

Rune magic
Victory Rune(1JP): Basic physical damage buff to one target.

Vitality Rune(2JP: Gives the target a regen effect. This is can actually be pretty effective and can heal over 100 hp when your stats get high enough. One thing to note is that this scales with Vitality rather than a percentage of your hp. That's why White Rose was able to get over 100 HP a round in the Diva fight despite having only about 400 HP.

Hide Rune(2JP): Makes the target invisible so that enemies won't target them. Multi target attacks will still hit the character and any offensive action will remove this effect. It could be handy if you put it on a healer I suppose.

Freedom Rune(4 JP): Makes the target immune to palsy, sleep, petrify.

Advanced Spells
Wall Rune(8JP): Blocks one projectile attack. Yes this is way overpriced and terrible.

Dwarf Rune(8JP): Severely lowers an enemies attack power. Pretty inaccurate though.

Soul Rune(7JP): Greatly increases the caster's stats for 4 rounds after which the user loses 1 LP. This is a pretty great spell for magic user's and physical fighters alike. The LP loss won't even take effect if you end the fight quick enough.

Statis Rune(It says all JP but it doesn't quite work that way in practice): Freezes the user and the targeted enemy so that neither can take an action or be harmed by attacks. It can be removed with dispelling or status healing effects. Normally this would be pretty useless. I guess it could give you time to heal up and buff but due to a bug we'll see later this has some very fun applications.

Arcane Magic
Gold(3JP): Rains gold down on all foes which can either distract them or cause them to run off chasing it. For all those times you've wanted a spell that combines the effects of FlashFlood and HideBehind. It turns out that combining the effects of two bad spells result in another bad spell. Who would have thought?

Grail(3JP): Heals status effects. Grail ends up in a bit of an odd spot because you want to be able to heal status effects, but status effects are kind of rare in Saga Frontier. You have limited spell slots so it might not be worth using one of those slots for Grail.

Saber(1JP): Stabs the enemy with 3 swords. Your basic damage spell that becomes free with magic mastery.

Shield(2JP): At the start of the round creates a shield which raises all of the defense stats of everyone on the team. A great spell for boss fights or other difficult encounters.

Advanced Spells:
Death(4JP): Attempts to instantly kill all enemies. For each enemy that it whiffs on, it takes one LP from the caster. Pretty terrible. There are other better instant death spells with less severe drawbacks.

Fool(6JP): Greatly reduces damage done by both allies and enemies. Kind of like an All-Divide from the Tales games.

Tower(All JP): Deals huge damage to one target based on the amount of JP remaining. You only get one shot, but it's one of the few skills that can actually out damage the DSC. However, over time other top damage spells like MegaWindBlast and Vermillion Sand will out damage it for the JP cost.

Magician(7 JP): Creates a copy of the user that will attempt to instantly kill the enemy if they hit the copy with a contact move. Unlike Shadow Servant the copy is a completely separate target from the user and won't step in to take the blow if the caster is attacked. The ID effect is pretty accurate though.

Summary: Rune and Arcane magic are pretty even in terms of usefulness. They both come with great spells right off the bat in spells like Vitality Rune and Shield and they both have at least one good advanced spell as well. In general, I'd say that Arcane magic is better for magic users and mystics, whereas Rune is better for physical characters who want a couple spells. I'd also say that you really only need one Arcane caster whereas Rune magic works a bit better when you have multiple people spreading buffs around. That's not to say that Rune magic is better though, you can't go wrong with either.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's worth noting that Tower's damage equation factors both how high your max JP is and the difference between the max and current JP. That means it'll do more power if you blow more JP, no matter what, but casting it with 99/99 JP is going to be a lot more effective than casting it with 99/100 JP.

Also, if you have any effects ongoing that nullify JP consumption (none have showed up in game yet, but there's at least one that exists), Tower's damage goes utterly to poo poo; it's less effective than a normal physical attack for most casters at that point.

Regarding other spells: While preventative magic seems better than curative, Freedom Rune is markedly worse than Grail, mostly because aside from Palsy, none of the statuses blocked are common enough to worry about, and none of the immobilizing statuses are the problem. No, your biggest concerns, status-wise, are Charm and Red Mess, both of which lead you to murdering your own party.

Vitality Rune is invaluable for a lot of people, and Saber will generally do more damage than Sun Ray, but less than EnergyChain, so it's the middle-of-the-road option for the "free with a crown" spells, and generally your go-to unless you're fighting undead.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 12, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Next update should be up by the end of Saturday. This video should give you a good idea of how the party's doing at the end of this next update.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I will always loathe the Saber Card. Wakatu has this amazing atmosphere, but gently caress that minigame.

quote:

I'm not really sure what this pinwheel thing is, but it manages to block us from going in the nearest door so we have to go around. The blood all over the screen doors is a neat touch. Gives the impression that there was some sort of heroic last stand here.

Traditionally in Japan, parents use pinwheels as markers/offerings to their dead children. Red pinwheels in Japanese media is pretty much shorthand for "ghost kid", sort of like how "creaky playground swing moving on its own" is in American media so... um... whatever happened in that room was probably not a heroic last stand.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 15, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

TurnipFritter posted:

I will always loathe the Saber Card. Wakatu has this amazing atmosphere, but gently caress that minigame.

Traditionally in Japan, parents use pinwheels as markers/offerings to their dead children. Red pinwheels in Japanese media is pretty much shorthand for "ghost kid", sort of like how "creaky playground swing moving on its own" is in American media so... um... whatever happened in that room was probably not a heroic last stand.

:ohdear:
That's certainly makes those last couple rooms of Wakatu even darker than I had first imagined. Definitely interesting though. Thanks for sharing!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dude789 posted:

Next update should be up by the end of Saturday. This video should give you a good idea of how the party's doing at the end of this next update.

Oh no, Blue's grandfather died? :ohdear:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back. I was originally going to have this update focus solely on Blue's journey towards making stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks, but some unforseen issues came up. Therefore we will first be doing the Shield Card quest so this episode will be as jam packed as a jar of Smuckers.

Towards that end we need to head to IRPO. IRPO is probably the single most unfinished area in Saga Frontier. It contains 2 rooms, one of which is only shown in a cutscene.

:j:Oh please come this way.

I'd like to point out Thunder here pointing the wrong direction. They choose 2 party members to join your main character here based on their position. It seems like they don't have the necessary sprites for Thunder to face the other way.

So you want the Shield Card, eh? It seems everyone wants it these days. I can't just give it to you like that. I don't know if you really deserve it. Besides, I need some help on patrol first.
All right, what do you want us to do?
You catch on quick. Let's go to Mosperiburg.
By the way, did you see a man who looks just like me?
No, I didn't.

We're going to get it.

So here we are in lovely Mosperiburg. It's probably the least hospitable region in Saga Frontier, filled with frigid mountains and skies that look as if they were on fire. This quest isn't too long, but it's filled with nasty high level encounters that will demolish teams who try to go here too early.

First and foremost is the ecounter right inside this little alcove. Let's check it out shall we?

So inside of this cave we have a bunch of treasure as well as an unavoidable battle with a Red and Black dragon. Both of these are high level enemies, and to make things worse the Black Dragon has much more HP than normal.

The first attempt does not go very well. Mei Ling is our best damage dealer and she gets petrified in the first round. Silence and Blue put up a good fight though with their Griffith Scratch-Vermillion Sand combos.

The second fight goes much better. I mess around with party lineup so Blue's far away from the Black Dragon and I swap out EngineerCar for T260G who can achieve a higher maximum defense for absorbing hits. A couple Griffith Scratch-Vermillion Sand-Bound Shot combos (damage seen above) are able to take down the Black Dragon.

The treasure here is excellent. In addition to the Lordstar, which is a very strong sword with an itemcast strength buff, we also find a Sanctuary Stone, 1000 credits, an Octobus Board for Mechs and a Golden Fleece Armor.

After exiting the dragon cave and continuing along the main path we eventually find another cave with a flaming Suzaku trapped in ice. Suzaku is a recruitable character, but the recruitment process is probably the most obtuse thing in this game. I'll show it off later though, don't worry.

We go through a few more enemy filled areas, but it's fairly straight forward. Once you reach this screen though, you've reached the end of the area.

SKREEEEEEEE
OH JESUS gently caress.

So the Suzaku actually isn't that bad. Killing Silence is about the only things it does in this fight and Mei Ling especially tears it to shreds with her Two-Gun Bound Shot. If you use contact moves it will counter with a fairly strong Flame Barrier so keep that in mind, but most of our team is using ranged attacks.

The most threatening attack Suzaku has is the target all windblast attack which can wipe the whole team, but it doesn't use it here and gets taken down in a few rounds. The game actually throws you a bone here if you lose and just boots you out of the quest without giving you a game over if you die. I guess it's to prevent new players from getting completely stuck. Of course we're awesome so we don't need any of that. If Rezen and co needs someone to shoot some flaming birds out of the sky, they know who to call.

So we get the Shield Card and see Fuse's concept art. But more importantly, it's time to make more money than we know what to do with.

First of all we need to go to Owmi which can be accessed from Koorong. We won't be here long.

The reason we go to Owmi is because Owmi is the only port which connects to Nelson. It's a bit of a pain, but Blue has the region map so it's much faster for him to travel back and forth once he's been there.

Fighting Machine Arena

Nelson is a very small region. It has a bar, and a few small shops. The bar is our destination for now.

This guy in the hard hat sells gold ingots for 500 credits. The first step to infinite credits is to buy as many gold ingots as you can afford. It's important to note that for this trick to work you need about 7000 credits to start out. That's why I did the Shield Card quest to get the 1000 credits from the dragon cave.

Yes indeed.

The next step is to go back to Koorong and find the gold shop here.

This man will buy and sell Gold Ingots starting at 1000 gold.

Saga Frontier included a very rudimentary supply and demand system with the gold ingots. For each ingot you offer to sell to him he decreases the selling price by 40 credits. As seen above we want to sell our initial supply of ingots until the price reaches 520 or 480. Now we head back to Nelson. The idea I guess is that observant players could go to Nelson and buy up the gold and then sell it for enough profit to buy a nice weapon or something.

However, even more observant players noticed a bug in the coding and were able to create this exploit that we're starting up now. The exploit even has a nickname. It's called Takonomics after the person who discovered it.

Back at Nelson we want to buy as many ingots as possible again. We will need to have around 13-14 for this to work. Preferably more or else it will be slow going at first. Now back to Koorong.

This is where things get a little tricky to explain. The way the Saga Frontier shop interface works is that you offer to buy or sell something and your credit total increases or decreases depending on the amount of the item selected. Nothing is committed until you confirm the transaction. However things get a little wonky here when the game tries to dynamically alter the price in the middle of the transaction as part of Ingot supply and demand system.

The problem arises when you try to sell too many Ingots. The system tries to push the price into the negatives, but that would be stupid so it floors it out at zero for any excess ingots. However, because you haven't finalized the transaction you can also take ingots away from your offer. This will also dynamically alter the price, this time in an upward direction. However it will also raise the price when you take away the "zero credit ingots." As a result, if you have enough ingots you can offer to sell them all, and then take them all back and you'll find that the starting selling price is higher than it was at first.

Here's an example. Let's say you have 17 Ingots and the price has already been adjusted to 480 credits per ingot.

1.You offer to sell all your Ingots. The first 12 will reduce the price normally by 40 credits each. The last 5 will try to reduce the price further but slam into the floor of zero.
2.You take back all of your Ingots, each of the 17 ingots raises the price by 40 credits bringing the sale price up to 680.
3.You sell the five excess ingots and buy more in Nelson for 500 each credits each for a combined profit of 500 credits(180+140+100+60+20).

At this point you can infinitely repeat the process.

It will be slow going at first, it can take about 15-20 minutes of hopping back and forth to set it up, but once you do you should be set for life.

This is a snowballing process. Here you can see that we managed to get the selling price back up to 1000, but we have a lot more ingots than we started with. It's much faster for Blue since he can use the Region Map but for other characters you might just want to save up a bit more before beginning to expedite the process.

A few more times and...

Almost....

Success! Hmm somethings missing.

There we go! Much better.

There are a few small caveats to this process. First of all, the selling price maxes out at 2040 because that's probably all the space they allocated for that piece of data. Secondly, don't get too many credits or it might overflow on you. 50000 should be what you should strive for, and if you need more, just go back to Nelson once or twice once you get down to around 20000.

So we buy a bunch of poo poo. In addition to a Hyper Blaster, we also buy a Lethal Gun for Mei-Ling, 3 Powered Suits, 4 Hyper Wears, and a Warlord Armor.

So now we should be pretty well set to finish up the Arcane quest and move on to the start of the Endgame stuff for Blue.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I love the Shield Quest.

"Let's go on patrol... to the middle of a Hellish mountain range... for a flower..."

Thanks again Essence for explaining that.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
He is a high powered executive, he only has time for two things in his day, running his company and picking flowers with any stranger that comes into his office.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I dont know posted:

He is a high powered executive, he only has time for two things in his day, running his company and picking flowers with any stranger that comes into his office.

IRPO is a police agency. Fuse is a low ranking, underpaid beat cop who only gets away with the things he does because IRPO is so critically understaffed that there's nobody there to tell him no.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hokuto posted:

IRPO is a police agency. Fuse is a low ranking, underpaid beat cop who only gets away with the things he does because IRPO is so critically understaffed that there's nobody there to tell him no.

He is also as crooked as you can get. He sent our hero Emelia to jail without a trail, because he didn't have any proof she did the crime and couldn't even prove that someone died (he lost the body).

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

It's a huge shame that Squaresoft had to cut the adventures of rear end in a top hat cop Fuse. His story could've been great.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Keep in mind that this is a police agency that has a mute that cosplays as a butterfly and an effectively-mute furball on the squad, in addition to at least one majorly crooked cop and probably several others that get even less screen time. This is not exactly the elite of the elite, here.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Keep in mind that this is a police agency that has a mute that cosplays as a butterfly and an effectively-mute furball on the squad, in addition to at least one majorly crooked cop and probably several others that get even less screen time. This is not exactly the elite of the elite, here.

There is one other member, one who is actually competent, I might add. Won't be seeing that individual for a long time, if dude keeps to his order of scenarios.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FeyerbrandX posted:

There is one other member, one who is actually competent, I might add. Won't be seeing that individual for a long time, if dude keeps to his order of scenarios.

Oh speaking of other members, I tend to forget he was a cop: one of them was possessed by a mask and framed his girlfriend fiancee for his own murder. Outstanding job, officer, we should all aspire to be like you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

What we're getting at is that IRPO is staffed by horrible people, useless people, and useless horrible people. Except for one officer who's pretty awesome but in turn only in a single scenario.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

What we're getting at is that IRPO is staffed by horrible people, useless people, and useless horrible people. Except for one officer who's pretty awesome but in turn only in a single scenario.

Well, not every organization can be staffed by highly competent, empathetic professionals like Trinity and Gradius.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dude789 posted:

After exiting the dragon cave and continuing along the main path we eventually find another cave with a flaming Suzaku trapped in ice. Suzaku is a recruitable character, but the recruitment process is probably the most obtuse thing in this game. I'll show it off later though, don't worry.

:stonk:

I don't suppose any of the other Fiends from FFL show up later on?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

It's a JRPG, the four symbols of the Chinese constellation are practically required by law to be in this game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I want to know, if they do show up, are they recruitable? And if so, why do you not have a party of the 4 Gods at all times? :colbert:

Or else "If they are in the game... is Ashura? And does he proceed to kick your rear end because he can?"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Genbu is a regular encounter.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't think Byakko nor Seiryu are in SaGa Frontier. I could be mistaken, though.

Other than Suzaku and Genbu, I wonder if this game has any subtle references to the past games. I think someone mentioned earlier that Lute being recruitable at the Scrap bar is a reference to how you can recruit Minstrel in the Romancing SaGa games.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Chokes McGee posted:

Technically since Suzaku is a monster, if you wished you could have a whole party of Suzakus! This one just comes preprepped for you. Also technically he's a Suzaku junior. The game created separate sprites forms for monsters like Suzaku whose normal sprites are too large and unwieldy. So technically he's just a little tiny terror of the skies :kimchi:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Also technically monsters kinda blow late-game. I'm not even 100% sure you could beat some of the final bosses with just monsters if you let the enemy rank get too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pneub posted:

Also technically monsters kinda blow late-game. I'm not even 100% sure you could beat some of the final bosses with just monsters if you let the enemy rank get too high.

Plus ça change.

• Locked thread