Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, have we gotten our full robot explanation yet?

I'm guessing that'll probably come with this next update when he gets a lot more equipment and stuff to use to show us what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, have we gotten our full robot explanation yet?

No but they are by far the simplest race to play with. And they got a few tricks that make them absolute murder machines.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shwqa posted:

Well to t260g's credit Lute is loving useless. Even his scenario specific special ability lets you know just how useless he is.

:psyduck:

Shwqa posted:

Even [Lute's] scenario specific special ability lets you know just how useless he is.

Shwqa posted:

[Lute's] scenario specific special ability

:psyboom:

Count me among the people who played this without ever realizing he even has one.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Count me among the people who played this without ever realizing he even has one.

I don't think the game tells you about it. You just have to figure it out in a moment of frustration and desperation. I don't want to spoil it though.

(I got a good giggle out of your post)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

W.T. Fits posted:

He can open the sealed door in the Temple of Fiends so you can progress further back in the time loop.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Since a fair amount of people have been asking about it:

Gameplay Update Mec Development
Mecs are a race that have been in Saga games ever since Final Fantast Legend 2 and are special because rather than gaining stats after battle, mec stats are entirely dependent on their equipment. For example, when a human equips a sword they gain the ability to use that sword to attack and perform sword specific skills. Mecs gain that too, but also gain something like +100 hp and +10 strength. In a game as open ended as Saga Frontier, this can be quite potent. If you so chose you could run around picking up strong equipment right at the start and dump it all on your mec to get a death machine with 99 Strength and 600 hp. In addition, Mecs are the only other race that can compete with humans for damage. Their ability to min-max their stats with equipment combined with very powerful attack skills makes them a force to be reckoned with. Another bonus is that mechs come with tons and tons of LP so dieing in battle is relatively painless.

Of course, mecs do have some disadvantages. The main one is that mecs don't tend to play well with others. Plural Slash aside, many of their abilities are difficult to combo and mecs are tricky to heal. Most forms of magical healing will heal substantially less to mecs and you will instead have to rely on mec specific healing items and skills like Repair Kits. Mecs typically don't have many support skills either making them very one dimensional. Additionally, because mecs tend to jump ahead of the curve at the beginning of the game, they can hinder human fighters and swordsmen from getting new attacks by killing the enemies before the humans get a chance to attack. Finally, mecs do not gain WP. What you see at the start is what they have at the end. As a result mecs are not suited for longer battles and can easily run out of WP in a long dungeon crawl.

Equipment
As I said at the start, mec stats are entirely dependent on equipment. Mecs can equip a total of 8 pieces of equipment with anywhere from 1 to 4 pieces locked in and unable to be removed. In general, the stronger a piece of equipment, the better stats it provides but there are exceptions. In particular, high tech or artificial pieces of equipment usually give larger boosts than cotton or leather armors. Similar armor or weapon types tend to give the same types of stats. Here's a general list although again keep in mind that there are exceptions. Also all of these give HP so it won't be listed.

Swords:Strength and Quickness
Guns:Quickness and Will
Memory Boards:Quickness and Intelligence
Shields:Strength and Vitality
Heavy Weapons:Will
Armor:Vitality
Suits:Strength and Quickness
Hats:Intelligence and Will
Gloves:Strength
Boots:Quickness

A good set for an endgame mech with 5 slots would be 1 powered Suit, 1 Memory Board, 1 chest armor, 1 gun/sword/laser depending on skillset, and one slot as a floater to use as whatever you please. One thing to note is that you really shouldn't just slap on a powered suit and call it a day when deciding on equipment for defense. Powered Suits give no vitality and in general one by itself won't have very high defenses compared to a human fully outfitted. Putting on that one piece of chest armor can make all the difference between your mec being a glass cannon, and being an unkillable death tank. But really at the end of the day, its up to you. If you wanted to could put swords in all five slots and recreate this masterpiece...

...except with swords.

Skills
Mec skills are acquired by downloading them from enemy mecs. There are two types of skills that can be downloaded, ones specific to the enemy mec, and ones specific to the PC mec that will attempt to be learned if you fail to download any skills from the enemy. Each enemy mech has 4 slots for skills. The chance to absorb a skill from the 4th slot is 3.1%, 3rd slot is 6.3%, 2nd slot is 25% and 1st slot is 100%. The game will start with trying the 4th slot first and move backwards if you fail to get the skill or if you have already downloaded it. Additionally, not all mecs have skills in all the slots. For example the basic Mec Doby has Maxwell Program in the 4th slot, Evasion Rocket in the 3rd and 2nd slots, and nothing in the first slot.

If you fail to download a skill from an enemy mec you will attempt to download one of the PC specific skills. Each mec has different skills they can download in this fashion and in general, they are the major offensive powerhouse skills like Plural Slash, Magnify, and Shock Soldier. The way these skills are learned is similar to learning magic or gun techniques in that each skill has a difficulty factor that is compared to the enemy rank. However, not every mec can learn each skill and some learn certain skills easier than others. For example T260G can learn Self Repair, but EngineerCar cannot. (EngineerCar can learn Self Repair from and enemy mec though.) However, EngineerCar learns PluralSlash with a difficulty factor of 18 compared to 22 for T260G. If you fail to learn any skills from a download attempt you will get "recharged" and all of your WP will be restored.

Once you learn a skill you can equip it from the skills menu. The number of skills you can equip is dependent on your intelligence so equip a hat or motherboard if you want more skill slots. Some good skills to have for mecs are Self Repair, Maxwell Program, Shooting Mastery, Combat Master, Tiger Program, Plural Slash, Magnify, and Pop Knight to name a few.

So that's mecs for you! Overall they're one of the more intuitive classes in Saga Frontier and if used correctly they can just pour on the damage on enemies. To close this out I'll leave some final notes on mecs and how to get the most out of them.
-Using multiple mecs can be expensive, however Koorong sells some items like the Laser Scope and Cyber Glove that give substantial stat boosts for only a few hundred credits.
-Dungeons tend to be rather boom or bust when it comes to mec enemies. Mecs need to fight opposing mecs to get more skills so if your mec is lagging, visit a dungeon with lots of mec enemies. A few of these include Despair, and the Battle Ship ruins in Shingrow.
-T260G and Red get a number of mecs to choose from. Asellus and Emelia don't get any mecs and everyone else gets T260G and EngineerCar.
-There are a few items that mecs can't de-equip without breaking them. In general these also give really good stat boosts so you won't want to take them off, but it's something to keep in mind.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Oh my god I forgot about the penta axe general. The eternal badass. Also that post was informative as hell :)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I never really found wp to be a problem with robots. There is usually robots spread out through every dungeons so they could recover wp pretty easily. Course that was back in my power gamer days, so my team was usually so overpowered that I could 1 shot anything.

It is pretty hard for me to play this game without resorting to the gold trick or that other glitch. I hope you show that other glitch off in this scenario :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wait a minute. Wait!

That's Ronfar! He's totally Ronfar! from Lunar 2!

Doesn't anyone else see this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! :psyduck:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A drunk and a secret weapon, searching the world for who they are.

Yeah, that's a pretty quality premise for anything.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Then Fuse has them arrested for not having a buddy cop license.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Then Fuse has them arrested for not having a buddy cop license, even though they had a license. He made sure they didn't have a trial.

I fixed this to be more likely something Fuse would do.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Shwqa posted:

I fixed this to be more likely something Fuse would do.

I'd play it, if only to see T260G hit him with a robo-suplex.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Chokes McGee posted:

Wait a minute. Wait!

That's Ronfar! He's totally Ronfar! from Lunar 2!

Doesn't anyone else see this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! :psyduck:

Mother of god, I never noticed that until now.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

dude789 posted:

Once you learn a skill you can equip it from the skills menu. The number of skills you can equip is dependent on your intelligence so equip a hat or motherboard if you want more skill slots. Some good skills to have for mecs are Self Repair, Maxwell Program, Shooting Mastery, Combat Master, Tiger Program, Plural Slash, Magnify, and Pop Knight to name a few.

Of course, remember that the game will never tell you, ever, what any program does. Like how it doesn't tell you the number of programs you can equip is based off what motherboard you have equipped and, apparently, your intelligence. Which, of course, I never knew until the dude just said so, even after completely beating this game many, many times over the years.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can never remember which one Maxwell Program is. Is it the one that turns the Mec into a coffee grinder, or the one that turns it into a cheap-rear end craymel?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can never remember which one Maxwell Program is. Is it the one that turns the Mec into a coffee grinder, or the one that turns it into a cheap-rear end craymel?

I figure WP is more "magic" than "caffiene buzz" so I'd wager it's the latter. :v:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MartianAgitator posted:

Of course, remember that the game will never tell you, ever, what any program does. Like how it doesn't tell you the number of programs you can equip is based off what motherboard you have equipped and, apparently, your intelligence. Which, of course, I never knew until the dude just said so, even after completely beating this game many, many times over the years.

To clarify what some of these skills do. Maxwell Program gives you passive WP regeneration. Combat Mastery and Shooting Mastery boost the damage of physical and ranged attacks by a substantial amount (I want to say it's 50% but I'll have to double check). Pop Knight and Plural Slash are attack skills. Magnify is only useable with laser weapons and does huge damage at the cost of disabling the weapon for the rest of the fight. Tiger Program gives a mec access to the ability Tiger Rampage with the correct motherboard equipped. Tiger Program is also a great example of how great mecs are at damage. Tiger Rampage is a top tier mystic attack skill with really only Griffith Scratch and MegaWindBlast able to match it. For mecs, Tiger Rampage is a good damage skill, but they have better options and they get skills like Combat Mastery which will make their version of Tiger Rampage do more damage than a mystic could ever hope to match.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
And of course there's the Octopus board

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

With Combat Mastery, PluralSlash is one of the most WP-efficient attacks in the game, and if you're in a party with multiple mechs it can combo with itself.

Seriously, the amount of pain PluralSlash does is way too high for just 5 WP.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

KataraniSword posted:

With Combat Mastery, PluralSlash is one of the most WP-efficient attacks in the game, and if you're in a party with multiple mechs it can combo with itself.

Seriously, the amount of pain PluralSlash does is way too high for just 5 WP.

The only problem I have with PluralSlash is that I can never get all 5 mechs to learn it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! We've got a shorter update today, but we'll also start fill out our party a bit more.

If you'll recall last time we met Nakajima in the bar in Scrap. Today we're going to take him up on his offer to check our system.

:science:Why don't you go to Sei's Tomb?
:v:Give me a break. You never know what's in that place.

:v:We've got no program to move the ZEKE.
Explain Situation
:cool:We sent a robot mouse to Trinity's restricted area to get some data. But after it got there, we lost its signal somewhere in Sei's tomb.
:v:Maybe it entered a place where transmissions can't reach.

:v:What are we gonna do?
:science:Why don't you aske him?
:cool:We can't do that. Well...maybe. Can you help us recover our robot mouse?

Oh joy a fetchquest to go grab a robot mouse of all things. At least Sei's tomb should have a good amount of treasure to build up the team.

While we're here we pick up EngineerCar, I know some of you wanted an all mech, team but we're going to be taking Gen along with us because he's important to the story and he's a cool dude. We just used EngineerCar in Blue's team so we'll use him for now, but replace him later.

Here we are at Sei's Tomb. We won't be here for too long fortunately.

We grab all of the treasure guarded by the Dead Knights. Mei Ling and Gen do a good job of killing them with Sun Ray-Doubleslash combos.

There's the little bugger. We'll come around and get him in just a second once we're done getting the treasure.

While we're fighting the Dead Knights Lute of all people sparks this. Kasumi is an evade and counter move that can trigger on physical attacks and it does pretty substantial damage.

We didn't see it much in Blue's scenario, but EngineerCar's special ability is to heal mecs with a built in Repair Pack. It heals for 400 damage a pop.

Here we go. Foruntately the little bugger doesn't run away or anything.

:cool:Wait here.

All we have to do is wander over to the break room of the Factory. Here some of the mechanics will buy and sell high tech weapons and armor.

When we return, Nakajima reveals a new mec model.

:cool:Trinity censored our work and forced us to give up on our project.
:science:Transformers are really out of date.
:cool:Hey! I happen to like transformers! Sorry. We applied the "Valkyrie" technology to a combat model, and that's ZEKE. But I guess young people nowadays don't understand what a great mec is.

:cool:Whose personality did you programinto this piece of junk? Hiroshi's?
:science:I don't talk like that.
:psylon:Hurry up and put the attachment on me. Want to exchange information? The lost mission? How romantic! Can you take me with you? I can be very useful.

And with that Zeke joins us. Zeke is all about speed. He may not be the strongest or toughest mech, but he'll definitely be the fastest.

:cool:Your body is very old. I can modify it if you want.

Here's one of the special bonuses T260G gets in his scenario. By talking to Nakajima you can turn him into a copy of every single mech in the game. We could run around with 2 Zeke's, or 2 EngineerCars if we so chose.

We're gonna go with Type 7 though, as it's the one type that doesn't have a regularly playable PC to go with it. You can only get it by turning T260G into a Type 7 mec. It specializes in physical attacks.

It's also a mini tank so it's pretty badass. Next time we'll take this bad boy out for a spin.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

IIRC Kasumi is specifically a dual-sword blocking (and counterattacking) tech, which means it has a bunch of restrictions: A) you need to have two swords on you, B) you need to be using a sword attack this turn for Kasumi to trigger, C) an enemy needs to attack you (IIRC it doesn't hop in front of friends like Deflect does) with a physical, "close-range" attack, and D) you need to have enough WP to use it, which means you may not get your big nasty attack out in the same turn because you blew your WP on Kasumi, without choosing to.

However, it's loving badass and hits for a pretty nice chunk, so it's usually worth a slot, especially if for whatever reason you don't have Deflect.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I always felt that taking Gen along to the end of the game, along with 4 mecs, was most appropriate to me only because (ULTRAMASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS) it ties right into his use of a steel pipe to cut the rope like he was using a sword. How can a human interface with a mechanical godbeing on a programming level to kill it?! It's not important. Besides there's millions of things that don't make sense in this world.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raitzeno posted:

IIRC Kasumi is specifically a dual-sword blocking (and counterattacking) tech, which means it has a bunch of restrictions: A) you need to have two swords on you, B) you need to be using a sword attack this turn for Kasumi to trigger, C) an enemy needs to attack you (IIRC it doesn't hop in front of friends like Deflect does) with a physical, "close-range" attack, and D) you need to have enough WP to use it, which means you may not get your big nasty attack out in the same turn because you blew your WP on Kasumi, without choosing to.

However, it's loving badass and hits for a pretty nice chunk, so it's usually worth a slot, especially if for whatever reason you don't have Deflect.

It's a single-sword blocking technique, you're thinking of Cross-Deflect for the dual-sword technique. That said, every restriction EXCEPT the "must have two swords" one is true in Kasumi's case still.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Kasumi is a badass move, but honestly, you're definitely better off with Deflect, given that it also protects your allies, works against some long-range attacks, and is free with physical mastery.

Though if you're lacking for other skills, having them both might not be a bad idea either, depending on how the game chooses which one to trigger. Can it trigger either of them, or will Deflect override Kasumi even if the user is attacked?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 8, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Though if you're lacking for other skills, having them both might not be a bad idea either, depending on how the game chooses which one to trigger. Can it trigger either of them, or will Deflect override Kasumi even if the user is attacked?

I think the defensive skills stack, meaning you're more likely to dodge with more dodge/counter skills, but in practice the rates are so drat low with everything but Deflect that it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that Type 7 chassis is pretty sweet. I suppose the essential T260 is in the braincase, so the body doesn't really matter.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Glazius posted:

Okay, that Type 7 chassis is pretty sweet. I suppose the essential T260 is in the braincase, so the body doesn't really matter.

No no, it's the core, the one that Thyme found, remember? T260G's "body" was assembled by Taco, you recall. I guess they just yank his core out and chuck it in a new body.

Personally, my favorite is type 2, but I'm guessing you're going to use that one in Red's scenario, so I'll wait for that.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Speaking of Kasumi, is there a set chance on how such techs like Kasumi and Deflect activate, or is it dependent on a certain stat or two?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The activation chance for most weapon based blocking or counter skills like Deflect or Kasumi is (Strength + Quickness + Vitality +200)/1600

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dude789 posted:

The activation chance for most weapon based blocking or counter skills like Deflect or Kasumi is (Strength + Quickness + Vitality +200)/1600

Do you get a check for each if you have multiple counter/block skills that could trigger?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prism posted:

Do you get a check for each if you have multiple counter/block skills that could trigger?

I believe you do, but since Deflect checks that with every attack that can be blocked regardless of target (on account of being able to protect other party members) it will generally trigger five times as often on average. That (and the fact that it's free with mastery) is why generally once you get Deflect you don't tend to look back.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just a heads up, the next update is going to be delayed for a while because I spilled vodka on my keyboard and not it won't work of technical difficulties. It's good to see that the LP curse is alive and well!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Remember: friends don't let friends drink and SSLP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Remember: friends don't let friends drink and SSLP.

Neither does the keyboard.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
It knew you'd been drinking, so it took your keys.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It knew you'd been drinking, so it took your keys.

:golfclap:

Also, dude789, if you haven't done so since talking about difficulties controlling the game with the keyboard, maybe you should use this opportunity to get a cheap gamepad. A PS2-style controller will probably cost you something like 10-20 bucks and makes PC emulation so much more enjoyable.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Rushputin posted:

:golfclap:

Also, dude789, if you haven't done so since talking about difficulties controlling the game with the keyboard, maybe you should use this opportunity to get a cheap gamepad. A PS2-style controller will probably cost you something like 10-20 bucks and makes PC emulation so much more enjoyable.

It's not too bad since it's an RPG. Worse case scenario is I get in a few more encounters. It's more of a problem with making the updates. I can still post from my work laptop but obviously I don't want to download a bunch of emulation stuff on it. I'll try and think of some gameplay updates to tide y'all over in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
UNOFFICIAL UPDATE NUMBER 1 (of 1)

Hi guys and gals, Fai here with a update 4 U!!!!!11

Today we are playing Sega Frontier, a game by Sony Pictures America. It aws release in the year 1986 (i wasnt born yet lol) for the sony gamestation 2.

Heres the logo screen, pretty stylish huh

when you start it, you gotta tell it where your system data is ok. here i am picking memory card slot 1 cuz thats where it is lol

LAST WE SAW of dudes game was he was a robit so ill pick the robit too. in this game u can pick who to be from lots of charaters but the robit is the coolest. hes not yellow haired girl or monkey thing or GUY WITH A GUITAR hahahahhahahahahah

teh FULL MOTION VIDEO intro for the robits level is pretty cool

okay1 this is important. you get in FIGHTS when you run itno an ENEMYS. so avoid them AT ALL COST!!!1!11!!!

Smartey man robit couldnt avoid this fight so HERE WE GO

THIS JERKBAG THREWED ROCKS AT US! NOT COOL

this bug is cool but scary looking. hes a real MENACE

cool, we are done! whew! when you win, it says "WIPE OUT" because you wiped out all the enemys. good job robit!

thanks for watching friends!

• Locked thread