Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The problem with Riki's story is that there's a lot of little (or big) dick moves the game likes to pull on you without any real warning, and if you aren't prepared for them ahead of time, which is somewhat difficult to do because Riki's a monster and literally most of the main areas of the game have something quest related for him to do that effectively cuts him off from other options, you'll find yourself completely hosed with no way around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
On the plus side of Riki's campaign you get some of Gen's best lines in the game and get to beat the stupid out of a certain party member (not Riki).

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Derek Barona posted:

The problem with Riki's story is that there's a lot of little (or big) dick moves the game likes to pull on you without any real warning, and if you aren't prepared for them ahead of time, which is somewhat difficult to do because Riki's a monster and literally most of the main areas of the game have something quest related for him to do that effectively cuts him off from other options, you'll find yourself completely hosed with no way around it.

His whole scenario feels like an unintentional love letter to 'hope you have played this before and know how to exploit the game' design. Plus he isn't polite like Lute, if you don't want to use Lute in his scenario, you don't have to. You have to have four really good party members to make up for how mediocre Riki will inevitably be. Or three game-breakingly good characters if you make the biggest mistake you can in his scenario if...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

gently caress Riki and his awful scenario forever.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hey y'all, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy last week and this week since I'm moving. I should have a lot more time the next few weeks though so hopefully I can get something out for you then. I think it's safe to say that we'll be doing Riki's quest next and then closing out with Asellus's quest followed by Red's.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Anything to avoid playing Riki's quest, eh? Moving? sure, anything to get away from it.

Jury Duty? Sign me up for the trial of the century!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

dude789 posted:

Hey y'all, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy last week and this week since I'm moving. I should have a lot more time the next few weeks though so hopefully I can get something out for you then. I think it's safe to say that we'll be doing Riki's quest next and then closing out with Asellus's quest followed by Red's.

Huh I wrote some post saying, good luck moving and I can't wait for the next update. Seems it didn't post somehow. Anyways good luck moving and I can't wait for the next update.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bumping, but also asking a serious question.

Anyone else of the appropriate age that hearing "Mondo" makes you think drinks in super flimsy plastic bottles?

I know it's also "World" which is much more fitting.

Also, I have no concept of "serious" after thinking more about it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Anyone else of the appropriate age that hearing "Mondo" makes you think drinks in super flimsy plastic bottles?

World is Mundo, unless you're talking about something completely different.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

World is Mundo, unless you're talking about something completely different.

Italian, not Spanish.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FeyerbrandX posted:

Nope, I'm of the appropriate age where it makes me think of a cyberpunk magazine.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hey guys, I just got the internet in my new place up and running and got the footage for the end of Lute's quest. I should have it up by the end of this weekend at the earliest and then I think I should be able to get back to the normal update schedule. The method I used for the final boss is interesting I suppose (and by interesting I really mean cheap.)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Lute is lazy, so it's thematic at least.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Sorry again about the delays. I think the update schedule should be back to normal now that I'm done moving. Anyway, today we're going to finish Lute's quest so let's get right to it.

We head back to Nelson so we can grab a ride on Captain Hamilton's ship. Like before we just have to talk to her and tell her we're ready to go to the final dungeon.

His secret base's in Wakatu?
Yep.

The action cuts back and forth between various parts of the Victoria and the main deck where Captain Hamilton shouts out orders for this next scene.

It must be one of Mondo's.

I think Mondo's ship looks like a shark, it's definitely imposing to say the least.

You gonna fight that huge ship?
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. This is Nelson's secret vessel. Maximum speed, change to collision course with the enemy vessel.
:yarr:Maximum speed reached. Maintaining course. Collision with the enemy ship in exactly 7 seconds.
What are you gonna do, kamikaze them?
Get ready to fire!

Captain Hamilton uses old school cannons. You have to respect how far she's going with this whole pirate theme.

We're in their blind spot.

When you see the ships side by side it gives you a much better idea of just how huge Mondo's ship is.

Full turn. Get ready to fire portside guns. Straight ahead. Now, fire!!

But it's not like the Victoria is helpless. Our ship has some serious fire power as well.

Good! We heavily damaged them. All personnel report to battle stations.
Now, what?
All firing has ceased we'll board the ship. This is the pirate way!
:yarr:Our radar has detected a small vessel leaving the ship. It's heading towards Wakatu.
Mondo's running away.
Cease fire. We are going to pursue the small vessel.

And with that we're dumped into the final dungeon.

Lute's final dungeon is one of the more boring ones. The enemies are average and it lacks the interesting visuals that Blue and Emelia's dungeons had.

The basic structure of the dungeon is that there's a lift that goes down through various floors. Each floor has a side room with an item you have to pick up to make the lift go even lower.

Like I said, the enemies aren't too tough.

This staircase can be really hard to see which is a pain in the rear end because you have to go up it to find the item to lower the lift.

I suppose some of the mechanical stuff is kind of neat to look at.

Down we go....

On the second or third floor down there's this big mec here. You can fight smaller versions in some random encounters. He doesn't look very happy does he?

When you see this giant guy, you know you're getting close to the end.

I think we fought one of these guys in Blue's final dungeon too. Of course we don't have Blue here to break the game so he might actually put up a fight.

I think this was a Bound Shot-Time Eclipse combo. I feel that this should have done more. He must have really good defense.

Fuse sparks one of my favorite looking attacks in the game. It's also becomes his new strongest attack. A few more rounds and we're able to take him down.

Just a bit further and we find this giant door.

Behind it is a giant mec suit.

I don't think it's happy to see us.

Oh dear...

Last Battle Lute

So here we have Mondo in the Spriggan suit as the final boss of Lute's scenario.

He starts off rather tame, he get's 2 attacks per turn but for the most part they don't do too much damage. The biggest issue is who he targets with them.

A lot of his attacks use the cone shaped area of effect. If he targets Fuse with these attacks that's not too bad since only one person gets hit, but if he targets Time Lord or Lute than the whole team takes damage and it adds up.

This doesn't look like too much, but this is a long fight and our healing is limited. Also notice that Time Lord is taking a bit more damage, that's because he's forced into using the Mystic Mail like most Mystics and as a result doesn't have the stronger Powered Suits that everyone else has on right now.

He'll use this every so often as well to force missiles and bazookas to miss. Keep it in mind if you're using mecs.

After taking a certain amount of damage these claws come down to take off the broken pieces of his suit. Every time this happens his attack pattern changes.

Now he's added the more powerful Rail Cannon attacks to his repertoire. Time Lord's lower defense continues to bite me in the rear end.

Every so often the claws that took off some of Spriggan's armor will smash all of your characters at the start of the round. There's nothing much you can do to stop it aside from just keep everyone's health up.

Here's Spriggan's 3rd form. Also, you may notice the background of the fight changing. You're actually fighting Spriggan while riding the big lift from the main dungeon. Usually it keeps going upwards, but it stops when it's time for him to change forms. You can see our angry little mec friend from earlier here.

I'll tell you this now, I did not win this fight on this first attempt. We have pretty much exactly the amount of resources we need to take off all of Spriggan's hp, but this is a long fight and we need to heal ourselves as well. Right now the only healing we have is Rouge's Starlight Heal and Lute tossing out our limited supply of cures.

We just don't have enough healing to keep up with the damage as the forms get more and more dangerous.

We do get a bit of a respite in Spriggan's 4th form. On the first turn he'll use Anti-ECM and nothing else in preparation for his next attack.

Which is this. For all the buildup you have to admit it's a bit disappointing damage wise. I don't know why but missile attacks always seem bit underwhelming in this game.

He also gains access to this attack which is pretty much guaranteed to kill the first person it hits unless they're a mec with maxed out defenses.

So here is Spriggan's final form. It looks like it's really coming apart at the seams since it's essentially just a cockpit and a cannon. Unfortunately, our team isn't doing to well either.

Eventually it comes down to just Lute. Can he pull it out by himself?

No.

I tried this a few more times and I could definitely win if I got lucky, but the stars would have to align almost perfectly for the team to have enough offensive momentum for that final damage push. I really didn't want to grind so I'd have to change tactics.

And then I remembered I had this spell. If you'll recall, TimeLeap forces the target to end their turn without taking an action. It's useless if you're slower than the target because obviously they will just attack before you cast the spell. Fortunately Time Lord is very fast and Spriggan is vulnerable to it.

This is how we're doing after the first two forms. We're practically untouched aside from some hazard damage that happened at the start of a round. Time magic is broken.

Unfortunately, Spriggan's last three forms are fast enough that TimeLord can't consistently cancel his turns. But he can still reduce them and this gives us enough health to bumrush the last few forms.

This is how we look going into the final form, not bad, but it's going to get a lot worse for us over the next few rounds.

We're not looking good here, but we still have Overdrive to try and close it out.

And after a couple of Time Eclipses, Time Lord is able to finish him off! He was certainly the star of this battle.

Once you kill him, Spriggan tries to go for one last Buster launcher, but he ends up whiffing and over heating.

And then we cut immediately to Lute's ending. Looks like Lute has taken over in Mondo's place.

:doh:Sir? If you mean my stupid son, no, he hasn't.
:(Hmmm...if he's not here, where might I find him?
:doh:If you don't mind, would you get out of my house? Anyone who'd want to see that idiot must be nuts too.
Ma!

Are you going out, Ma?
:doh:I am going to the cemetary to tell your dad a firend of his just died. Although I'm pretty sure they're aready talking to eachother right now.

:(There you are! Sir, please return to our emergency meeting immediately. Trinity's future depends on you.
Yipes, they've found me!

:(Please sir, wait!!

Looks like some things never change. Anyway next time we're going to start Riki's tale (ugh...) So get ready to see what Saga Frontier is like when it wants to be really nasty.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"Good job killing Mondo. Now you have his job."

Uh.

...Well, the ending is lazy, badly written, and explains absolutely nothing while doing even less. But hey, it has Lute in it.

...Well, it fits the theme of this quest, at least.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

"Good job killing Mondo. Now you have his job."

Uh.

...Well, the ending is lazy, badly written, and explains absolutely nothing while doing even less. But hey, it has Lute in it.

...Well, it fits the theme of this quest, at least.

Anyone who has mondo's job could go power crazy and try to take over the world. They need a moron in charge, while everyone just does there job.....

Well that doesn't make much sense either, but nothing makes sense in Saga Frontier.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It does expand a little bit on who Mondo was and how Trinity works - basically, they don't.

Those last few lines though...

"If they're (an evil secret world domination group) depending on you, this must be the end of the world."

[Implied facepalm] "You said it, Ma."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
They don't really say which people are depending on Lute. For all we know it could be Hamilton's pirates that are depending on him to be a resistance leader now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a pretty interesting final boss!

Shame you might get wiped by it 15 minutes after the game starts.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Lute's Pros and Cons and Party Analysis and Lute's Participation in Fuse's quest
We're going to be doing things a bit different and combining these two gameplay updates because there's just so little to differentiate Lute's quest from the others. So first our final team.

Lute: Lute's biggest problem as I've mentioned is that he can do everything, but you can almost always find a human who can do whatever you wanted him to do better. Rouge and Mei-Ling for guns and magic, Fuse for martial arts, Gen for swords. If you really want to make a team that's made up of 5 humans all focusing on the same thing then by all means use Lute, but aside from that he doesn't really have a place.

Captain Hamilton: Captain Hamilton is the real star of Lute's Scenario. She has probably the best starting skill set of any human and can use both Swords and Guns with equal skill. As long as you remember to pick her up early, her high stats will make her a valuable asset throughout the scenario.

Rouge: Rouge may not get all the craziness he gets in his own scenario, but he's still my favorite magician in the game just because of the unique Realm magic gift. For the most part Light magic outclasses it on damage, but it still gives you that extra bit of flexibility. If you want a pure mage human with Shadow Magic, Rouge is pretty much the only viable option because of Vermillion Sand. Energy Chain is usually the best free to cast with the gift spell. The only problem Rouge has is that he can't participate in the Magic Kingdom sidequests because he will leave the party if you try to take him there.

Fuse:Fuse is pretty great as a physical character who can do well with both Swords and Fists. He also comes with the gift for Mind magic which works well with the physical skills and makes him a bit of a variation on Roufas. His biggest disadvantage is that it can be difficult to add him to your party early because a lot of early game teams won't be strong enough to beat Suzaku. As a result, if you want to use Fuse you probably have to plan ahead and think of a strategy for fighting Suzaku.

Time Lord Time Lord gets Time magic and therefor is one of the most over powered characters in the game. There really isn't much more too it. It's important to remember that to get Time Lord you must have completed one of Light/Shadow and one of Rune/Arcane quests so plan out which magic you want him to be able to get in advance. Giving him Rune magic is always popular for the Stasis Rune/Overdrive trick, but even then he's quite good without it. For the most part Time Magic doesn't care too much about magic stats so if you want you can focus in on Time Lord's physical stats instead. Time Lord is already one of the fastest Mystics but it could be a good idea to give him some absorbs to boost speed so you can pull off Time Leap shenanigans like I did in Lute's final battle.

Other notes for Lute's quest: Lute's party options are incredibly average. He can pretty much pick up any character that is widely available with Captain Hamilton being the sole exception. The only unique area is Lute's final dungeon.

Lute's final boss probably plays a bigger role in Fuse's quest than Lute does. Spriggan, or Great Mondo as it's called in The Essence, is actually the final boss of Fuse's scenario that all of the characters band together to beat. Fuse rides into the base with Captain Hamilton and Dr. Leonard. Their gun attacks are ineffective at first and things look bleak before other characters start pouring in to help with the fight. Time Lord makes one of Mondo's attacks miss with Time Leap, Rouge intercepts Mondo's Shoot All attack with Vermillion Sand, and Lute and Thunder arrive at the last moment and cause Mondo's final Buster Launcher to whiff by distracting him with a terrible song. Fuse runs into Lute a couple other times in Yorkland before that, but their interactions are largely inconsequential.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

dude789 posted:

Fuse runs into Lute a couple other times in Yorkland before that, but their interactions are largely inconsequential.

Much like Lute himself. It says something when, as bad as Riki is and how much everyone hates him, even he actually does something in his quest. Lute, meanwhile, is basically just standing in for Fuse if Essence is anything to go by.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Let's get this over with. ..

Margmel in Ruin

Riki's quest begins in Margeml, a small region that you only get to visit in Riki's quest and only briefly. It doesn't seem to be doing so well.

Immediately there's a rather nasty looking earthquake that screenshots don't really capture too well. Just shake your head back and forth really fast to recreate the effect. If you do that long enough that you get a headache, congrats! now you're even closer to experiencing the true ingame feeling of playing Riki's tale.

Riki looks up at what I guess is the center of Margmel and then starts wandering back down.

Margmel is dying.

I was still a baby then and didn't understand what she meant. But, when she died I couldn't stop crying.

So yeah Margmel is hosed. The astute readers may have noticed that Riki looks quite a bit different than when most characters encounter him in Scrap. Currently he is in his Lummox form. Margmel is home to the Lummox race of monsters. Chances are you'll reach a point in this quest where you won't really be too sad to see them go.

Margmel isn't the most populated of places. I guss living in a barren and dieing world isn't the most ideal for population growth.

Before we get too involved, let's check out Riki's stats. Riki is a monster, a type of creature that has been in the saga games since the first one on the game boy. We'll cover monsters in the next game play update, but the general gist is that monsters become stronger by transforming into other more capable monsters with the expectation that come endgame you'll have something good like a Dullahan or something. Like in the other saga games, they are largely identical in terms of final potential with their main difference being their initial form.

Riki's initial form is quite bad. This is compounded by the fact that monster's are the the worst race in the game. It's the first of many examples of Riki's quest hating the player and wanting them to fail. Therefore, I will be maintaining a counter of all the ways that "Riki's Quest Hates You and Wants You to Fail" throughout this scenario (or RQHY for short). I will not be typing this out every time because that would be tedious to type and to read. Instead every time we encounter an instance I will place a (+1) after the description of the incident and post the current tally at the end of each update. I can't guarantee that each update will have one, but there will be some updates where I will be giving them out like candy on Halloween.

This guy right here does give us a little bit of info on how monsters generally work, but we won't really get to see that until the next update. Another Lummox tells us that the Elder wants to see us.

These two are the self proclaimed "Foxy Sisters."

They are so weak that even Riki can take them on two on 1. They spend most of their time trying to stun us which would work out better for them if we weren't faster.

Riki starts out with three moves: Tail, Tailhit, and Heal. Tail and Tailhit are low damage with the chance to stun (as seen above). The main difference between them is that Tailhit has a fan area of effect and is a bit more expensive. Heal goes first in the round but is pretty weak and can only Heal the user.

After the battle you can attempt to absorb one of their skills. You can get Elf Shot here which is slightly stronger than any of Riki's other moves. I get it and then proceed to never use it.

The Lummonxes continue to be expert conversationalists.

Finally, after some dawdling we make our way to the Elder's room.

:wal:Come in.

I hope you're ready from some exposition by the way, y'all are about to get two heaping portions of it.

Oops, better greet him or he'll get mad again!

:wal:No time for that. Time is running out.

:wal:Behold this ring. This is a powerful magic ring which has been passed down for generations. It's power protected us from wickedness now, but it can no longer offer us hope.

:wal: If this ring has brothers, the power harnessed by all of the rings could save Marmel. Riki, take this ring and collect the rest.

The elder opens a portal in the middle of the floor. It would be nice if he would tell us how to do that. I'm sure it would be very convenient. If you look closely you might be able to tell what region it is.

Elder, why me?
:wal:I had a dream. A dream Margmel showed me. Now go and collect the rings.

Putting the ring on turns Riki into his bipedal form.

Aye sir!!
:wal:Was sending Riki the right decision? I'm worried...

Going through the portal dumps us down in the middle of Scrap. I guess we should go talk to some of the people there and try to form a party.

What is this place? It's so alive.

Guess I had one too many drinks...
I'm not a dog. I'm Riki.
Shoo, shoo! Go away!

Boy! You're so smart. Know anything about this ring?
No data available...Inscription is in the Samuna alphabet...normally used by monsters.
Never heard of that one.
New information.
You look useful (T260G joined the party)

Ready for the second big exposition dump? It's only the first update for Riki and by the end we'll probably be close to total amount of dialogue in Lute's scenario.

I'm looking for some. Like this one.
So am I. What a coincidence. Where are you from?
I'm Riki. I'm from Margmel. See over there! Now it's gone. It was floating over there just a minute ago.
Margmel...I've heard of a region that floats through dimensions. So it was true...Then we were both brought here by the power of the rings.
You sure know lots about rings.
My name is Mei-ling. I'm studying about rings. And where...did you get that ring?
I need to get all the rings before Margmel breaks.

But, you've got to do something. This is terrible!
Everyone says it's useless to try and save it. But our elder thinks we can. That's why he sent me to collect the rings.
A heavy responsibility, but I can help you. Let's try to save Margmel. I know where to find the rings.
Really, this is going to be so easy!
Easy? Why do you say that?
We'll just ask to borrow them for a while.
Listen Riki, the world's full of bad people who will take advantage of you. From now on, don't show your ring to just anyone.
What are bad people like?
Well you're going to meet one real soon. The man with the ring is true garbage.
Bad people and garabage? I can't wait. (Mei Ling joined the party).

So now we've got two party members. Might as well pick up Lute why we're at it.

Thanks. What are you doing here?
I'm looking for rings. (Riki told his crazy story)
Collecting rings...sounds interesting. Can I come with you?
Sure! (Lute joined the party)

And when we try to leave Gen join us to give us five party members. That's where we'll end this update because I am all expositioned out. Next time we'll start strong on Riki's tale by rehasing an event from another scenario!

RQHY Counter: 1 (for now)

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 22, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

dude789 posted:

It begins

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
My favorite part is where Gen joins, and the game, rather than giving him a proper joining message, instead says, "A drunk joined your party!?", with the question mark popping up like a second or two after the rest of the message, making it clear that even the narration is baffled.

It's also worth mentioning that the rings are NOT just plot coupons. But I suppose that's saved for the gameplay update too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

Lute's final boss probably plays a bigger role in Fuse's quest than Lute does. Spriggan, or Great Mondo as it's called in The Essence, is actually the final boss of Fuse's scenario that all of the characters band together to beat. Fuse rides into the base with Captain Hamilton and Dr. Leonard. Their gun attacks are ineffective at first and things look bleak before other characters start pouring in to help with the fight. Time Lord makes one of Mondo's attacks miss with Time Leap, Rouge intercepts Mondo's Shoot All attack with Vermillion Sand, and Lute and Thunder arrive at the last moment and cause Mondo's final Buster Launcher to whiff by distracting him with a terrible song. Fuse runs into Lute a couple other times in Yorkland before that, but their interactions are largely inconsequential.

You missed the part where after that failed Buster Launcher, Slime (as in, the recruitable one from inside Tanzer) drips into the Spriggan's damaged cockpit and presumably melts Mondo, since he doesn't come out of the situation alive.

Essence has some really, really weird moments, and that's one of them. The main villain taken down by a useless snot bubble that forces itself into the party when nobody wants it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KataraniSword posted:

You missed the part where after that failed Buster Launcher, Slime (as in, the recruitable one from inside Tanzer) drips into the Spriggan's damaged cockpit and presumably melts Mondo, since he doesn't come out of the situation alive.

Essence has some really, really weird moments, and that's one of them. The main villain taken down by a useless snot bubble that forces itself into the party when nobody wants it.

It didn't drip into the cockpit. It spat acid at the head, and some of it got through the visor into the cockpit. Mondo also kept fighting for an entire additional phase after that action, and when he finally died, it was due to a combination of heat overload and a cockpit breach from unrelated actions.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Oh riki :allears:

This is gonna be great

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Derek Barona posted:

Much like Lute himself. It says something when, as bad as Riki is and how much everyone hates him, even he actually does something in his quest. Lute, meanwhile, is basically just standing in for Fuse if Essence is anything to go by.

Lying is bad, Riki doesn't actually do anything in his scenario and you know it. :colbert:

At least Lute isn't mechanically garbage, just suboptimal.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Monsters CAN be made workable, really. But compared to other classes, it takes far more work for less results. And there's only a couple of forms that can really compete in the endgame.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Monsters CAN be made workable, really. But compared to other classes, it takes far more work for less results. And there's only a couple of forms that can really compete in the endgame.

Speaking of that, I can't remember if I asked already, but are you going to suffer and get one of the ultimate forms? I never had the patience to get all the gaze techs myself.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Speaking of that, I can't remember if I asked already, but are you going to suffer and get one of the ultimate forms? I never had the patience to get all the gaze techs myself.

It's pretty easy if you have a guide; you can get 3/4ths of what you need off of wussy early-game enemies.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It's pretty easy if you have a guide; you can get 3/4ths of what you need off of wussy early-game enemies.

Except I've always had atrocious luck, plus eventually the monster rank bumping up would eventually edge them out. Never wanted to save scum to try and force the drops, because that'd mean playing more on Riki's quest. :v:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

bathroomrage posted:

Lying is bad, Riki doesn't actually do anything in his scenario and you know it. :colbert:

He does something. He moves the player around so we can get through his godawful scenario that much faster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like this idea for a plot, but we haven't seen anything like Rings in the other scenarios, have we?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Glazius posted:

I really like this idea for a plot, but we haven't seen anything like Rings in the other scenarios, have we?

Wasn't there like a Ring Lord or something? That sounds relevant.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Except I've always had atrocious luck, plus eventually the monster rank bumping up would eventually edge them out. Never wanted to save scum to try and force the drops, because that'd mean playing more on Riki's quest. :v:

IIRC, there's a spot in the Koorong Sewers where the rank doesn't go any higher than 6, which I believe can have Unknowns, who possess 3 of the 4 techs required for that one form. StoneGaze can be a tricky one though, since I believe you can ONLY get it from Basilisks, which are always encountered in the Yorkland Swamp at the right rank, but difficult to find otherwise.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

dude789 posted:

Listen Riki, the world's full of bad people who will take advantage of you. From now on, don't show your ring to just anyone.
I never played this game aside from a short-lived rental where the game wouldn't even play. If I didn't know better from seeing the other scenarios before this one, I would be inclined to think she's scheming to do horrible things to Riki in the future after seeing a line like this.

quote:

(Mei Ling joined the party).
(T260G joined the party)
(Lute joined the party)
(A drunk joined your party!?)
For all the hate I've been reading about this one, it's at least generous enough to slam a full party on you right out of the gate.

quote:

:allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Seiren posted:

For all the hate I've been reading about this one, it's at least generous enough to slam a full party on you right out of the gate.

Keep in mind though, two of those five characters are Riki and Lute.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Oh Riki, you've got one of the biggest "gently caress You"s in a game full of them. :allears:

You can actually assemble a pretty good party in Riki's story. Too bad that you get locked out of so many other things. gently caress his story gating. :argh:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I would go so far as to say Riki has the biggest gently caress you in the game in his story, although Red does have a good one too, as alluded to earlier. Seriously, gently caress Riki. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
In Red's defense, I kind of understand why they did that re: the dick move in his scenario. I give it a pass because the rest of his scenario is fantastic and it wasan't a bad idea, the restrictions of his scenario just were not entirely thought out.

Riki's supreme dick move moment is just an entirely unnecessary inclusion. There was no reason for such a kick in the pants in a scenario that already has unmitigated hatred of the player.

• Locked thread