Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Shwqa posted:

Asellus starts out probably the squishiest character. Maybe riki is weaker. However is probably the 2nd strongest character in the entire game. With uber blue being the strongest.

Don't forget Red, he's probably the best human in this game, but we'll see why after Asellus, and she's a pretty great character to boot.

We're in for the best parts of the game from here on out. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today we're finally going to get the hell out of here.

The first thing we have to do is pickup White Rose. There's some things you can do with her alone that you can't do with Ildon tagging along. She's also going to give us a bit more information about Mystics.

I believe humans call them "mistresses".
A mistress!?
Of course it is different from human relations. Lord Orlouge took my blood making me a mystic. By ending my human life he granted me eternal life. His charm is irresistable.
I don't feel any attraction to him.
I suppose you're immune to his charm because his blood is in your veins. Not only that, you've also inherited his mystic power.
I don't want...Don't need any power...
Whether or not you will develop the mystic power within you is up to you. That's enough talking for now.

The big take aways are how mystics become mystics in the first place, the effect and extent of Orlouge's power as the Charm Lord, and that Asellus can choose to develop the power if she wishes.

These coffins are our refuge as well as our prison. Lord Orlouge never lets go of things he has acquired.
How childish.

With Ildon gone you can go around the back end of Chateau Aigulle to find this cave with monsters. If Asellus is alone she'll get spooked and run. If Ildon is there he'll shoo us away and say we aren't ready for real combat.

Asellus on her own is awful, but with White Rose these guys are pretty easy.

Just showing off some of the scenery. Also the crystals in this last cave have healing properties and will fully restore the party. However, once you get this far, you want to be careful and pay attention when running around. Or else you might accidentally run into...

This guy.

Oh dear. Guess who hadn't saved!

Anyway twenty minutes later we get caught back up and pay a visit to Rei's room again.

She committed suicide, and by using the cycle of birth, she was reborn into human flesh. Now even Lord Orlouge has trouble finding her.
Cycle of birth...I can't possibly be reborn...

Our next stop is Gozarus in Rootville to get something very special for Asellus.

:frogout:Why? He never once recognized my talent or loyalty. He won't even let me live in the castle. I can't stand that he chose some human girl to be his princess.

(White Rose explained to Gozarus very quickly.)
:frogout:An accident? That makes more sense. I couldn't believe this stupid looking girl would be chose to be a princess on her merits.
Sorry for looking stupid!
:frogout:You'll never make a good princess with that kind of attitude. Take this, you look like you can use some jewels.
Gozarus is the best artisan in town. All of his work has great mystic power.

He actually gives us an accessary for free. It's not much but Asellus needs all the defense she can get.

However we're not quite done yet.

Here we go. Aside from the SandVessel, the Asura is the only item from Gozarus worth getting. It's a 77 power sword that gives +7 to all status, swaps out the basic slash for a fairly cheap and powerful combo strike, and has one other secret property. It is going to be absolutely broken this early in the game.

This is the upper floor of Gozarus's hut. Once again I'm impressed with how much effort Saga Frontier puts into these unimportant and completely optional areas.

Aside from that there isn't too much to do in Rootville. We can pay a visit to the dress maker but nothing really happens. Mystic magic is also too expensive for us right now unless we really grinded.

:flame:My name is Kurenai. I am the eternal flame that burns in Facinaturu.
Kurenai was originally supposed to be how Asellus escaped Facinaturu, but they changed that in the final version. I'll go over that in a bit more detail at the summary at the end of the quest.

For this next bit we have to be completely alone.

Tell me!
:emo:Go into the bar in Rootville and talk to a human there.
Why are you telling me all this?

Well it looks like we finally have a lead. Let's talk to that upstanding gentleman over there.

:bahgawd:What a depressing bar! What happened to the entertainment around here? How about some music and dancing?
Your first time here?
:bahgawd:No, it's just I don't really go out to bars too often.
Where are you from?
:bahgawd:What do you mean? I am from Facinaturu.
Don't lie to me. I need to get out of here.
:bahgawd:If you're talking business then you'd better have money.
I don't have any with me. But I know I can get some.
:bahgawd:...All right. Here's the key to the house below. Follow the secret passage to the cave and don't forget my money.

We're almost done here. For this last bit we need to once again add White Rose to our party.
Just call me White Rose.
White Rose, I need some money.
Money? Unfortunately, I don't have any...Illdon probably has some human money.
No!! Don't ask him. I need money to get out of here.
I see. I don't know exactly what humans use for money now. But I do have some precious metals. Perhaps they will do.
Thanks White Rose!!
I will come with you since Lord Orlouge appointed me your caretaker.
OK thanks.

The game actually puts some GoldIngots into your inventory. I'm not sure why. You can't use them here and they'll be gone once we get away.

Back in Rootville, we enter the locked door. This is essentially the same as leaving after you've picked up the Sand Vessel for the Time Magic quest.

But White Rose is still worried.

Ciato told me.
But why would he...I have a bad feeling about this.

This is a good summary of the trip to the plane. White Rose Phantasm Shots everything while Asellus tries to stay alive.

Still nice to look at though

On this playthrough I forgot to pick up the knife from Illdon. White Rose has the Asura because it would slow Asellus's stat growth so Asellus is stuck punching things. I grind up for a few minutes so she has more than 100 health.

Unfortunately at the end of the cave, our escape connection seems to be missing.

They're coming after us. Let me talk to them.

Let's go back to the castle.

Let's just pause for a moment and discuss how much of an rear end in a top hat Ciato is. After stabbing Asellus he tries to get Orlouge to put her under his command instead of Illdon. Then when that doesn't work out he gives Asellus info on how to leave. While it's not directly stated, it's heavily implied that he then ratted them out. I think the main idea is that he's power hungry, and Asellus is the brand new apple of everyone's eye who's inherited his Lord's power. Ciato is clearly threatened by her.

I always though the animation for all the guards getting blow away was rather silly.

Is this your first time on a plane?
My Lord will be upset.
Everything will be fine.

And that is how Asellus and White Rose became the second and third of Orlouge's mistresses to escape from Facinaturu.

However, we do have a bit more before the end of the update. Let's see how the members of Chateau Aigulle react to this news.

Although, I'm not very pleased she took White Rose with her.

Instead we'll end with watching Ciato get what's coming to him. A much more satisfactory end. Don't you think?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I feel like there could be a running counter for all the times Ciato tries to gently caress your day during this quest. Also, maybe I'm not remembering correctly but weren't there a couple other general conversations you could have while running around the castle, either alone or with people along?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So they're not-vampires, right?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Derek Barona posted:

I feel like there could be a running counter for all the times Ciato tries to gently caress your day during this quest. Also, maybe I'm not remembering correctly but weren't there a couple other general conversations you could have while running around the castle, either alone or with people along?

There are some. I realized this after I had gotten the footage. I think there's one if you go to Gina's alone and there's another with Rastaban at some point. I think Redboot covers them in his LP if you want to check them out.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The Rastaban scene was the only one I found vaguely important, honestly.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

wiegieman posted:

Yes, and this is basically one of the only ultra-vague hints you get on the fact that Asellus has multiple endings.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

wiegieman posted:

More or less. I don't think blood-drinking is a "you need to do it to live" thing like with actual vampires, but the whole method of creation and immortal life and everything without a Y chromosome wanting to jump Orlouge's bones (except Asellus since she's essentially his surrogate daughter) is textbook vampire mythos.

The Asura is bugfuck broken at this point in the game, as stated, and is probably one of the reasons people don't rank Asellus's quest closer in quality to, say, Emilia's. Sure, getting the Asura AND the Sand Vessel leaves her with 4 LP for the rest of the quest (in other words, if you have to skip Time Lord in someone's quest, make sure it's in Asellus's) but without it, the cave and the next segment are utterly unbearable.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

More or less. I don't think blood-drinking is a "you need to do it to live" thing like with actual vampires, but the whole method of creation and immortal life and everything with a Y chromosome wanting to jump Orlouge's bones (except Asellus since she's essentially his surrogate daughter) is textbook vampire mythos.

Without a Y chromosome, surely.

Actually never mind, it's Mystics, it could be either.

Asellus' quest was always one of my favourites, and is one of the few I've actually beaten, so it'll be interesting to see it shown off. I've already seen a couple chats I don't remember or missed.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If you luck out and can get a crown and Double Slash or Air Throw without spending an hour on it, Asellus can sorta carry her own weight early on without the Ashura.

e: At least Emilia gets a bazooka to give her something to do during trickier fights.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 3, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

More or less. I don't think blood-drinking is a "you need to do it to live" thing like with actual vampires, but the whole method of creation and immortal life and everything without a Y chromosome wanting to jump Orlouge's bones (except Asellus since she's essentially his surrogate daughter) is textbook vampire mythos.

The Asura is bugfuck broken at this point in the game, as stated, and is probably one of the reasons people don't rank Asellus's quest closer in quality to, say, Emilia's. Sure, getting the Asura AND the Sand Vessel leaves her with 4 LP for the rest of the quest (in other words, if you have to skip Time Lord in someone's quest, make sure it's in Asellus's) but without it, the cave and the next segment are utterly unbearable.

Asellus needs no LP :black101:

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
When I was a kid, I sincerely thought that White Rose had an afro made out of flowers. I only just realized she had actual hair under that thing when you showed that piece of concept art.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Archaotic posted:

When I was a kid, I sincerely thought that White Rose had an afro made out of flowers. I only just realized she had actual hair under that thing when you showed that piece of concept art.

Yeah, I thought that too. If you look closely at her sprite, you can see brown hair (despite being blonde in the concept art) peeking out from the flower-fro.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly from what I remember of Asellus's scenario I'm pretty sure that can be simplified to "except Asellus". And hey, he's called "The Charm Lord", one would hope his powers were not limited to the ladies.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

Honestly from what I remember of Asellus's scenario I'm pretty sure that can be simplified to "except Asellus". And hey, he's called "The Charm Lord", one would hope his powers were not limited to the ladies.

It's also speculated to affect Asellus by basically making her a Mini-Charm Lord, so she can also work her mojo on anyone, and also has some of Orlouge's tastes as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ryushikaze posted:

It's also speculated to affect Asellus by basically making her a Mini-Charm Lord, so she can also work her mojo on anyone, and also has some of Orlouge's tastes as well.

Well it is not really speculation. White rose does say "I suppose you're immune to his charm because his blood is in your veins. Not only that, you've also inherited his mystic power" and then a few moments later Asellus manages to talk white rose into giving up her life and rebelling. Even if white rose hated her life already, you can see what a bad idea it is to piss off the charm lord.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Shwqa posted:

Well it is not really speculation. White rose does say "I suppose you're immune to his charm because his blood is in your veins. Not only that, you've also inherited his mystic power" and then a few moments later Asellus manages to talk white rose into giving up her life and rebelling. Even if white rose hated her life already, you can see what a bad idea it is to piss off the charm lord.

I phrased that terribly. I mean it's speculation that along with being immune to his powers and getting his charm, she also becoming Mini-Orlouge in that she inherited his tastes in women as well. It's done something to her libido, at any rate.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ryushikaze posted:

I phrased that terribly. I mean it's speculation that along with being immune to his powers and getting his charm, she also becoming Mini-Orlouge in that she inherited his tastes in women as well. It's done something to her libido, at any rate.

Is this anywhere else in this story or is that just from the XXX mag gag? Either way, does make Aselus's make more sense.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
There are other points where they discuss this, but we will cover them when we get to them so for now I'd appreciate y'all not divulging what happens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess the Mystics we've met up until now are completely unrelated to Orlouge? Multiple bloodlines?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

I guess the Mystics we've met up until now are completely unrelated to Orlouge? Multiple bloodlines?

I don't know if it's touched on in Essence, but it certainly isn't in the game. I personally figured since Orlouge's sect of Mystics is basically Not!Vampires, mystics would generally work on vampire mythos rules with all of his servants and mistresses being his "family", so to speak, with the other Mystic Lords (such as Virgil/the Ring Lord) having different "families" of their own.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
If a Mystic takes your blood you will become a Mystic, but there isn't necessarily a direct bloodline link. If a Mystic gives you their blood, however, you become a Half-Mystic with the connection to the original "parent" Mystic.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Asselus' escape here may not be how it was originally storyboarded, but I think it works well as it is. It brings up points like: how blind the outside world is to what Fascinataru is like, the general mystic dislike of advanced technology, and gives Asselus a reason to include White Rose in her escape scheme (even a small one).

Plus, you know, it's how everyone else escapes during the Time quest. No real need to throw yourself into a furnace when there's a much simpler method after all. Really, if they had kept the original plan, it would have seemed gratuitous.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MightyPretenders posted:

Asselus' escape here may not be how it was originally storyboarded, but I think it works well as it is. It brings up points like: how blind the outside world is to what Fascinataru is like, the general mystic dislike of advanced technology, and gives Asselus a reason to include White Rose in her escape scheme (even a small one).

Just to emphasize this, the dislike of machinery is a thing that comes up but is never explicitly stated. Essence has a term for it, calling the Mystics "Mechanically disinclined". All machinery is smelly and gross to them for some reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about Essence? If it's not in the game, it's not in the game. I don't want to stop people from talking about it or whatever, but I get the strange impression that some people are talking like it's "supposed to be" some way in Essence and that the game itself gets it wrong.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The way I see it, it's more like a strategy guide that expands on content that's only briefly touched on in the game. It's nice to read bigger explanations that the game didn't shoehorn into the stories. I mean, this is before the era of in-game glossaries too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Clarste posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about Essence? If it's not in the game, it's not in the game. I don't want to stop people from talking about it or whatever, but I get the strange impression that some people are talking like it's "supposed to be" some way in Essence and that the game itself gets it wrong.

Essence is kind of unique when it comes to extra JRPG info. It never really conflicts withe the game but a big part of the reason for that is that there's so little for it to conflict with. Most people use it to try and help fill in some of the gaps in the storyline, and for that it does a solid (but no where near perfect) job.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

dude789 posted:

Essence is kind of unique when it comes to extra JRPG info. It never really conflicts withe the game but a big part of the reason for that is that there's so little for it to conflict with. Most people use it to try and help fill in some of the gaps in the storyline, and for that it does a solid (but no where near perfect) job.

Essence is essentially the 'making of/ cutting room floor" of SaGa Frontier, and rather than contradict anything on screen explicitly, it gives a "So this is basically how it would have gone if we, you know, were allowed to finish the game."

It's also full of gorgeous artwork.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ryushikaze posted:

Essence is essentially the 'making of/ cutting room floor" of SaGa Frontier, and rather than contradict anything on screen explicitly, it gives a "So this is basically how it would have gone if we, you know, were allowed to finish the game."

It's also full of gorgeous artwork.

It's also the creator's Super Awesome Fanfiction of his own narrative, Starring Fuse.

Seriously, some of it you can see the remnants of in the game code (Fuse being a playable character, the whole "leave Fascinataru through giant furnace" thing) but then pretty much anything involving Fuse's quest? Yeah, there's no way a lot of that poo poo would fly in any video game.

I suppose that's more a discussion for after the end of this quest, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

KataraniSword posted:

It's also the creator's Super Awesome Fanfiction of his own narrative, Starring Fuse.

Seriously, some of it you can see the remnants of in the game code (Fuse being a playable character, the whole "leave Fascinataru through giant furnace" thing) but then pretty much anything involving Fuse's quest? Yeah, there's no way a lot of that poo poo would fly in any video game.

I suppose that's more a discussion for after the end of this quest, though.

I also have to question why, given time constraints, they would choose to cut out the most important character, instead of Riki.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

I also have to question why, given time constraints, they would choose to cut out the most important character, instead of Riki.

Probably because fuse was a complex story that involved fitting everything together and riki was something they could poo poo out in a few weeks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Because they wanted to show off all the races in their own quests. Mystics get Asellus, Mechs get T260. Riki only exists because Monsters exist. The world might be better off without them in SaGa Frontier, but such is the way of things.

Actually, come to think of it, if anyone should have been cut in place of Fuse, it would've had to have been Emelia. Blue is your forced introduction to the schools of magic, Asellus, Riki, and T260 are race-representatives, Lute is basically the series mascot at this point (he's basically a photocopy of the Wandering Minstrel from the Romancing SaGa games, honestly, right down to being mediocre but capable at pretty much everything) and nobody in their right minds would ever want to get rid of Red's quest.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Welcome back! Today we start our first update outside of Facinaturu.

The game plops us in Owmi and we have a bit to do here before we're allowed to leave.

Can you read it?

There are mystics that live in bodies of water: like rivers, lakes or the ocean. They're very timid, you can rarely see them. Some must be living in this lake.
A lost one just like me.

So now we know what we have to do. Since Owmi is such a small region it shouldn't be too hard to guess where we'll be going.

:j:But because the port expanded the landing zone, the mystics had to move to our lake. One got caught in a net.
The locals at the pub give us some tips on where we need to go as well as some background on water mystics.

So we make our way over to the Lord's Manor. I believe that these events happen before the ones in Riki's quest.

The other water mystics are looking for her.

:signings:Get out! No, sorry. Please wait. Is what you just said true?
Yes.

Let us speak to the mystic.
:signings:All right, follow me. This is the room.

Please, we need to talk to her in private.
:signings:But...Guess it's all right.

Unsurprisingly the water mystic in question is Mesarthim. We'll be helping her to escape.

:coolfish:The smell of a noble mystic...But you're human. Did I offend you?
No, youre right. I'm half human and half mystic.
:coolfish:May I ask your name noble one?
Asellus.
:coolfish:Lady Asellus...Sounds classy.
She inherited Lord Orlouge's blood.

:coolfish:I'd perish if I ever offended Lord Orlouge.
Don't worry. I am not him. We're just here to help you.

But, he loves this water...
No one should be forced to do something they don't want to.
:coolfish:But he wouldn't even let me out of the house.
There must be a way out.

So now we have Mesarthim in our party. Although she's only with us temporarily so don't do something like give her the Asura and forget to take it off.

The Lord won't let us leave the mansion but we can still wander around inside.

And if you haven't done the Lord's Manor sidequest he helpfully gives us a tip on where to go.

We go ahead and round up all the treasure on the upper floors. None of it is great long term, but we're pretty desperate for anything right now.

The basement is the same as ever. It does give us a Shadow Dagger so Asellus can finally get to working on sword techniques. You'll also notice the BlueElf armor. Mesarthim comes with this but you'll want to give it to someone else.

This is why. The DevilSquid serves as the boss of this area and the BlueElf is immune to water attacks.

This fight is the reason you want the Asura. It is by far your best form of damage will take the boss down in about 4 or 5 shots.

Maelstrom is still going to obliterate someone so make sure that you keep the Asura on someone with water protection and have a good method of healing.

The DevilSquid isn't helpless without Maelstrom though. His feeler attack hits two people for about 80 and Mighty Cyclone will probably one shot whoever it hits. Fortunately, we're able to pull through, but I have a goal I didn't accomplish so we'll be fighting him a bit later.

All of the good treasure is in the lower basement below the DevilSquid fight. With this we can make our entire team immune to Maelstrom.

With all these equips we go from having almost nothing to being pretty decked out. It's rather nice.

One Sactuary Stone later and it's time for round 2.

Like before we're still going to use the Asura a couple times to weaken him. This time White Rose has it.

This fight is a pretty solid example of what Saga can do when it wants to be clever with it's fight design. This boss would normally be way too difficult for us, but the game gives us the exact tools we need to beat him.

That being said he's still pretty dangerous.

Asellus has been plinking away with her Shadow Dagger and gets some nice skills along the way. I don't know if she gets quite to having a weapon mastery, but she gets close.

There we go! This is what I was trying to get. When absorbed into the MysticGloves, the DevilSquid gives White Rose the Tiger Rampage skill. So we essentially have an end game quality mystic skill after the second dungeon.

And after beating the DevilSquid for a second time, it's about time to wrap this up.

Bye, Mesarthim. What's wrong, White Rose?
I feel sorry for that young man.

I think it's mostly the translation, but over these first couple updates, Asellus has come across as kind of petulant. I realize that she's gone through some difficult things, but still.

Regardless, we have finished up this leg of the quest and soon we'll be able to form a full party!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It never fails to make me laugh how rough Mesarthim's art is in that last picture. There's that obvious spot where someone in the localization side went "BOOBS! REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY!" and didn't even bother to at least touch up the spot where they went over it with the eraser.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Derek Barona posted:

It never fails to make me laugh how rough Mesarthim's art is in that last picture. There's that obvious spot where someone in the localization side went "BOOBS! REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY!" and didn't even bother to at least touch up the spot where they went over it with the eraser.

I always laugh at this, too. Her sprite looks like it had a last-minute bikini drawn onto it as well. NO PIXELATED PORNO ALLOWED

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This is probably the story sequence with the least missing context.

Asellus does come off as a bit petulant, but consider where she's coming from. She sees Mesarthim and the Lord's relationship as a mirror of hers and Orlouge's. And she knows how she felt locked away in another race's turf. Note that while she doesn't believe that mystics and humans should be together, she hasn't tried to leave White Rose...

White Rose is the diplomatic one, but she has her own perspective on the matter. She also sees this as a mirror of Asellus' position, but because of the Charm Lord's geass, she doesn't believe this is an inherently bad thing. As such she gently protests the idea that there can't be a peaceful relationship and that Mesartham should be released under the Lord's nose as a matter of course. But is this all Orlouge's brainwashing, or something else involved?

Mesartham knows, intellectually, that the Lord of Owmi isn't an evil man. And while she'd like to get in contact with her family and home, she's not actually against the idea of having a master. Her real issue is a matter of discomfort - living with humans is uncomfortable for her. Asellus definitely did a good thing by helping her in my opinion, but one must wonder if she was projecting a bit too much...

The Lord of Owmi is not a tyrant. And he knows, intellectually, that Mesarthim would be happier with her own kind. And while he dislikes the idea of giving her up, he does stop to consider the political implications of what he's doing. He might be the Orlouge analogue, but he's nowhere near as self centered. And of course, he spends the entire rest of the game looking down at the rose petals on the river and pining after Mesarthim while his manor is taken out from under him. He's not really a good guy here, but...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, I always figured there was more than half a decent chance this whole thing could've been resolved if Mesarthim had actually said something to the guy instead of staying locked up in one room of the mansion and not wanting to talk to a human. I get the whole Asellus has to come in and resolve this because it's important to her own story, but seriously, the dude probably would've let her go if she'd told him to his face she wanted to go home.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Derek Barona posted:

Honestly, I always figured there was more than half a decent chance this whole thing could've been resolved if Mesarthim had actually said something to the guy instead of staying locked up in one room of the mansion and not wanting to talk to a human. I get the whole Asellus has to come in and resolve this because it's important to her own story, but seriously, the dude probably would've let her go if she'd told him to his face she wanted to go home.

This is sort of how I interpreted it. He saves her, she says "Thanks so much, I'm so grateful," he says "I really like having you around! Stay with me for a while," and she's just too polite to say "umm you stink bro."

She could've said "Hey buddy I appreciate what you did for me and we're friends now but I gotta get back to my family. I'll come visit once in a while," and spared the poor dude the heartbreak, though :smith:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

I believe you're completely right. If Mesartham had said anything at all instead of giving the Lord the silent treatment for weeks, this could have resolved before Asellus showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
I still think one of the greatest things about Mesarthim is that despite her sprite and her concept art depicting her to be more mermaid or siren like, she can use Mystic Boots. Somehow :iiam:

• Locked thread