Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
All of you worrying about Riki's quest ending up last can rest easy. I'm saving Red's quest for last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Ardeem posted:

T260G Let's save the best for last.

dude789 posted:

All of you worrying about Riki's quest ending up last can rest easy. I'm saving Red's quest for last.

And that's why my vote is for T260G, because we're already saving the best for last.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

As far as this game goes, the only thing worse than playing as Riki is playing as Riki last.

I made that mistake once, and never again.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

KataraniSword posted:

This is true, but if we vote for the best consistently, we'll end the game with Riki. :gonk:

Let's go for Asellus and get the rougher part of the game over with first, save the best for last.

I actually think that Asellus has one of the better storylines, though I seem to remember getting my rear end kicked when I played it, probably because I didn't get mystics, especially compared to the simplicity of humans and robots.

Red's quest going last is probably a good idea, since I think his is the most fun.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Meinberg posted:

I actually think that Asellus has one of the better storylines, though I seem to remember getting my rear end kicked when I played it, probably because I didn't get mystics, especially compared to the simplicity of humans and robots.

I think there's another reason than "didn't get mystics" that you got your rear end kicked, but I want to refrain from any spoilers.

Mystics are sort of like humans, except they can essentially instakill enemies and turn them into stat-boosting "equipment". It's mostly a matter of figuring out what monsters give the best stats for your strength level and getting the instant death effect to stick. In all honesty, they're not MUCH different from humans except in how they gain stats.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
True, but as a result they're much higher maintenance than humans, on top of being stuck with armor that is middling at best. Still stupidly amazing if set up right though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Alkarl posted:

True, but as a result they're much higher maintenance than humans, on top of being stuck with armor that is middling at best. Still stupidly amazing if set up right though.

If you know what you are doing mystic are easy mode for the early and middle game. However at the end game they seem to drag a little.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
T260G

cosmic

loving

rave

:pcgaming:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Not sure it matters at this point, but Asellus.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
T260G, as much as I love Asellus' quest. Hers was the first quest I played, and the first I beat too.

But right after Blue doing an overview of Mystics, I think we should go the other way first. Besides, a little time away from Overdrive will make the awesomeness of that sword stand out even more. :black101:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
T260G. All mechs. All the time. Make it happen.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Gameplay Update: Time Space and Life Magic
As far as the plot is concerned, these three magic types are the most powerful in the game. One of them definitely lives up to the hype, the other two are decent. Time and Space magic are acquired by meeting TimeLord and Kylin respectively. You have the option to either purchase the low level spells from them, or have them join you instead where they come with all the spells from the school. However as you've just seen, in Blue's scenario you kill one of them and get the gift and all the spells from both schools. Life magic is also unique to Blue or Rouge in his scenario and is automatically acquired after the duel.

Space Magic
Vapor Blast(1 JP): Basic single target damage spell that becomes free with magic mastery. It's actually incredibly powerful for a 1 JP spell so it can be a good choice for a mage who doesn't need to learn anymore magic.

Vanish(3 JP): One of the more accurate instant death spells, especially for a basic magic spells. The disadvantage of Vanish is that you won't get Credits or items from enemies killed this way. It's still not a bad choice.

Reverse Gravity(6 JP): Lifts all enemies in the air and slams them back down. This is a really good spell, especially since it's a basic spell. It's probably the best MT spell for characters who went with Shadow over Light magic so it's a great pickup for them. Damage wise it's between Flash Fire and Vermillion Sand which is usually good enough to take out weaker monsters by itself.

Light Shift(1 JP): Grants HP regen for characters with the Photosynthesis passive ability as well as cancelling out Dark Shift and removing HP regen from undead in naturally dark areas. This is not commonly useful, but if you're fighting an undead boss with HP regen or fighting a boss with a bunch of monsters with Photosynthesis on your team it can be useful.

Advanced Spells
Dark Shift(1 JP): The reverse of Light Shift. It gives regen to characters with the DeathSynthesis ability and cancels Light Shift. I have no idea why this is an advanced spell while Light Shift is a basic spell.

Vortex(3 JP): A field wide Dispel. Hits both allies and enemies. For the ultimate spell of the Space magic set, this is pretty awful. Rarely will you want to dispel something and even if you did you could just cast Dark Sphere to dispel and deal damage at the same time while not removing your allies buffs.

Time Magic
Delay Order(1 JP): Attempts to slow an enemy with a pretty terrible success rate. This is perhaps the worst 1 JP spell in the game, but the other spells in the time magic skillset more than make up for it.

Chaos Stream(9 JP): Does highly variable damage and inflicts random status effects on all enemies. This is another pretty bad spell. It's really expensive, and even the high end of the random damage is still just about even or below the damage from something like MegaWindBlast. Just use something like that instead if you want multi target damage.

Time Eclipse(5 JP): Attempts to petrify an enemy with a good success rate. If it misses the petrification, it does decent damage and destroys the enemies speed. Now we're getting somewhere! Time Eclipse is essentially Implosion+. When inflicting it on an enemy, petrification is virtually indistinguishable from Instant Death and Time Eclipse does a bit more damage than Implosion to boot.

Time Leap(3 JP): Targets a single enemy. Once cast, this spell cancels all further actions from that enemy for the remainder of the turn. Overdrive gets all of the attention in the time magic skillset, but Time Leap is just as gamebreaking against bosses or other lone enemies. The most important aspect of the spell is that it has perfect accuracy, and unlike Stun or other turn cancelling moves it cannot be resisted or immuned. Put this on a character with a bunch of speed, and that tough enemy or boss is never getting a turn. What's that? The enemy is really fast too? Well then just cripple their speed with Time Eclipse first so that they end up going last in every round. Time magic is stupidly good.

Advanced Spells
Time Twister(5 JP): Targets 1 ally. At the end of the round, their move is repeated for no WP or JP cost for them. Another awesome spell. Mystics tend to have middling to low damage production and Time Lord, for all his other game-breaking powers is no exception. But with this he can double up that human or mech's attack so they can smash the enemy's face with another DSC or something instead.

Overdrive(10 JP): At the start of the round, the caster freezes time and takes 5-8 consecutive actions. At the end of those actions the caster loses all WP, JP, and bullets. We've gone over this spell and how it completely breaks the game. Use it with Statis Rune or a Snake oil and you don't lose the WP and JP and you keep the actions. Go a step further and hack it to other characters and you can make 40 hit combos.

Life Magic
Sacrifice(2 JP): For 1 LP greatly heal the entire party. This is a really nice spell. There are a couple other skills in the same vein as this like Life Rain or Final Crusade, but I think this one has the cheapest JP/WP cost aside from the LP cost. Still though, always great to have and makes it much harder to wipe out the party.

Reviva(9 JP): Fully heals the character the instant they are knocked out. Similar to the Re-raise spells from Final Fantasty. Also nice, although kind of pricey. I don't really have to much to say about it. It's a good security blanket, but I don't find myself using it that often because Blue breaks the game so much that it's unnecessary.

Summary: Time magic blows Space magic out of the water. It's incredibly simple. 2 Game Breaking spells and 1 more that's really good vs. 1 spell that's pretty good means that Time magic is just streets ahead of Space magic and really any other magic school. You do have a bit of a decision to make though with whether you let your party buy the basic spells or pick up TimeLord and Kylin. Generally I like to buy Space magic and recruit Time Lord. That way you get the best spell from the Space magic set while still allowing yourself all the gamebreaking possibilities of Time magic.

Also, I'm not closing votes just yet, but chances are we're going with T260G next as they're currently ahead 20-6.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

Generally I like to buy Space magic and recruit Time Lord. That way you get the best spell from the Space magic set while still allowing yourself all the gamebreaking possibilities of Time magic.

In addition, Kylin is a monster, meaning that you could lose some of his spells forever if you screw things up. Also, since he's a monster type, that's just a third strike against him anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

In addition, Kylin is a monster, meaning that you could lose some of his spells forever if you screw things up. Also, since he's a monster type, that's just a third strike against him anyway as far as I'm concerned.

He DOES have stupid high stats for a monster though. Doesn't he have like 200 JP naturally? His magic-oriented stats are just as great. Just find two good skills and pack them on him and you've got an easy endgame-level fighter.

Also, if memory serves, Reverse Gravity packs a stun effect too. Not that you'll see it that often, since it'll kill most groups of weak monsters and tougher ones will be highly resistant to stun, but it's there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bufuman posted:

Fun mechanics fact: DSC can't combo with anything because it's technically considered a combination attack all on its own.

Can the individual moves that comprise it combine to form a combo if used by separate characters?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

Can the individual moves that comprise it combine to form a combo if used by separate characters?

Yes, though possibly not in the DSC order. You can see both BabelCrumble and Suplex in that 40 attack combo several times, and Sliding and Giant Swing actually have drat nice combo capability as well.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Yes infact here's a bit more on how chaining combos works.
Gameplay update Making combos
In addition to damage types (pierce, blunt, heat, force etc). Every offensive move in the game has a set of properties that are used to determine whether they will combo with a following teammates attack. First of all some basics, to make a combo the a sequence of attacks must target the same enemy and come in an uninterrupted sequence. Most of this should be obvious so we'll move right on into the nitty gritty.

Every attack has up to 8 properties that determine their combo-ability. These are called: Dead Stop, Down, Instant Stop, Move, Hot, Cold, Black Out, and Snow (Snow? I don't get it either.) Of these Dead Stop, Down, Instant Stop, and Move are by far the most common with Black Out and Snow being very rarely seen. Further more, for each of these properties an attack can either Send or Receive (or both!). For a combo to work, the first attack must send at least one property that the next attack receives and so on and so forth with the next attacks. Let's take a look at the DSC example that W.T. Fits asked about. First let's look at the attacks and their properties. We're going to be ignoring the properties for Hot, Cold, Black Out, and Snow because they aren't relevant here.

Sliding Sends: Dead Stop, Down, Instant Stop Receives: Instant Stop
BabelCrumble Sends: Down, Instant Stop Receives: Dead Stop, Move
SuplexSends: Down, Instant Stop, Move Receives: Dead Stop, Move
Giant Swing Sends: Down, Instant Stop, Move Receives: Dead Stop, Move.
Unfortunately it seems that we can't create a perfect DSC in the order of Sliding->Babel Crumble->Suplex->GiantSwing->Suplex. We get stuck at Babel Crumble because Suplex doesn't receive Down or Instant Stop. It looks like we'll have to fudge the order a little bit.
Instead we can make the following 5 hit DSC combo copy Sliding(Sends Deadstop)->Suplex(Receives Dead Stop, Sends Move)->Giant Swing(Receives Move, Sends Move)->Suplex(Receives Move, Sends Move)->Babel Crumble(Receives Move).

As I mentioned early, there are some moves that both send and receive a property. These are by far the easiest way to make big combos as it means that their attacks effortlessly chain into one another. Infact, both Suplex and Giant Swing have this property and if the attacks are uninterrupted, using Suplex or GiantSwing five times will result in a level 5 Combo. This is also why high level gun techniques tend to combo together so well as Bound Shot and Cross Shot both send and receive Instant Stop.

The benefits of combos are a bit well less known aside from the obvious "Your damage goes up" according to Zaraktheus's Mechanics guide(which is what I'm summarizing this from and contains a full list of what each attack sends and receives.) The main benefits of a combo are as follows. 1.Ignores enemy defense, 2. Some but not all abilities get an additional damage boost on top of the defense ignoring, 3. they will almost never ever miss outside of extreme situations 4. They ignore counter effects like Glass Shield and Deflect or secondary element immunities (water, sonic, etc). 5. If the attack can inflict a status ailment, that chance is greatly increased. However the first hit of a combo does not get any of these beneficial effects so keep this in mind.

So there you have it, for those of you who had trouble with that fight, I hope you'll find this helpful on any subsequent playthroughs or if you just want to mess around and make some cool looking combos.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 3, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If you try to use a move on an enemy that is completely immune to that type (like trying to slide at a flying enemy, or throw something unthrowable), will it let the move into a combo? I don't remember this ever happening to me, probably because I can only think of a few fights where it would even come up.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
If you try to lead with it no. The first hit of the combo actually doesn't get any of the beneficial effects. After that ground attacks should combo because they'll lose their immunity. I'm not sure if throwing attacks will work because in that case the move isn't even triggered at all. It would be pretty funny though if you could use something like Rolling Cradle on one of the really huge enemies.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Sorry it took so long, I wanted to get this up on Monday but the siren song of EDF 2025 was too strong. Also it looks like T260G won in a landslide so we'll be doing their quest next. Today we're going to make our triumphant return to the Magic Kingdom as Best Magician Ever. I hope they're ready to roll out the red carpet.

We have to region map over there because the port's closed for some reason. Probably too busy building the monument in our honor to keep the airport open.

:siren:Magic Kingdom:siren:

Jeez guys you couldn't clean up at all while we were away? Let's see if that fine skeletal gentleman can offer us an explanation.

Oh....so it looks like the Magic Kingdom got completely wrecked while we were away. The city's in a sorry state and there are monsters everywhere. This one is the Dullahan, the ultimate undead monster and along with the Kraken, one of the most devastating regular encounters in the game.

This is the result of his Siren skill, one of the strongest Sonic attacks in the game. While the Dullahan lacks the sheer HP of the Kraken he makes up for it by having higher defenses, less status vulnerabilities, and a shield which can block a wide range of attacks. Offensively, the Dullahan can use multiple powerful lance attacks, and strong Stampede attacks. Overall while the Kraken is stronger in a straight fight, the Dullahan has fewer tricks you can use against him to hard counter him.

We haven't been here yet in other scenarios, but trust me when I say this place has seen better days.

:rip:Someone broke the seal
The Seal? What are you talking about.

We found a survivor, but he doesn't seem to be doing too well. All of this business about the seal is new though.

In general I really like the ruined Magic Kingdom as a dungeon. The game really captures the ruined city vibe while keeping the landscapes different enough to not become boring. It's another example of Saga Frontier just nailing the atmosphere of an area and it's a big reason of why I'd love to see a Minstrel Song style remake of this game.

Beneath the statues we come to this altar guarded by these three enemies. It's hard to see, but there are three glowing spots on the altar.

We kill off the chaff and we're left with this large fellow.

This here is the giant. The game will throw them at you in end game areas to provide a challenging fight.

Unfortunately for him we have Blue who just instantly petrifies him.

The three glowing spots are actuallly an order puzzle. You have the press them in the right order or you'll have to fight a high level mystic. For solving the puzzle we get a Norn Bangle which is a nice piece of hand armor.

To progress though we need to climb down onto those statues we saw earlier.

At the base we find more dead and wounded.

I think this is supposed to be a hint or something for how to progress but it was either miss translated or just made no sense in the first place.

It seems that after seeing it though Blue will make this remark to one of the statues which will result in it sucking him inside of the statue.

Where we end up dropped in this room with a bunch of babies.

Why...All this magic equipment.

Why did you try to make me kill myself?
:witch:You've seen the destruction in the Magic Kingdom. The seal has been broken and these demons came to devour us.
:science:To protect our kingdom, we needed a powerful magician. One who could even defeat himself.
And that's why you made me fight myself!?
:witch:The kingdom's existence is much more important than one magician's life. We were all born to protect our native soil from outside menaces.
That's the most selfish thing I've ever heard. I'm not willing to sacrifice myself or anyone else for this kingdom. It's simply wrong.

And we're interrupted when a couple of monsters jump down and ambush us.

So it seems Blue isn't taking this information well. I guess it would be pretty traumatic to find out you were the result of magic experimentation.

You can't just leave me with that kind of responsibility!! Hey! What should I do...

:gibs:You must go down to hell to fight the demons. You must...

There's some interesting stuff here. First of all the woman calls Blue, Rouge which seems to hint even more that Rouge winning is the cannon storyline. Also, I can see why Blue would be pissed at what's going on here, but having a kingdom parked right on the entrance to Hell kind of calls for desperate measures.

:rip:I must warn you, once you enter, you can't get out until you beat the last demon. And don't use Gate Magic there. You'll be cast away into the eternal oblivion. I'll keep an eye on your items.
By keep an eye on your items he really means take away the Region Map but it's no matter. We don't need any region maps to beat up some hell demons. We will not be swayed or intimidated even if we have to go up against vile abominations, or terrifying visions of agony and pain, or evil fiend lords! Do your worst Hell!

Huh...I'll be damned.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, the Devil is a proud spirit. Why wouldn't he want the place to look like home?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

This was always one of my favourite looking areas. I mean, it's rainbow candy vomit but I still liked it a lot. Especially since so many games go the opposite direction and all obvious on what hell should look like.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Finally got caught back up after being away for awhile. I think Blue's quest was always the one I had the easiest real grasp at how to go about it, and it's one of the three I ever managed to make it to the last boss in, but I could really never get over just how much of a massive dickfest Blue always was to everyone along the way. It's really jarring when you compare him with some of the other heroes' personalities. And in retrospect, had I ever known about the Overdrive exploit, I probably would've beaten this one.

Also, I know it's been noted a hundred times by now, but holy christ that 40 combo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

:rip:I must warn you, once you enter, you can't get out until you beat the last demon. And don't use Gate Magic there. You'll be cast away into the eternal oblivion. I'll keep an eye on your items.
By keep an eye on your items he really means take away the Region Map but it's no matter.

This is basically the game's really sloppy way of saying "this is the point of no return, even though Blue gets the ability to skip out of dungeons and break the game scripting elsewhere". (Protip: Don't exit the mountain in the Shield Card quest early. The game doesn't like that.) Considering that Gate is a useless spell that only exists to narratively justify the Region Map, there's really no other reason for this text to be here.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Apparently, Hell looks like this because somebody made a very poorly thought out wish on a certain evil artifact from a certain quest. I'm sure the LP will go in depth about it once we get there.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Blue's Scenario Pros and Cons and Party Analysis
We're nearing the end of Blue's scenario so let's take a bit of time to review the team and just what makes Blue's scenario interesting.

Blue: Blue is easily the most broken character in the game after the duel with Rouge, and his brokenness is a big selling point for the scenario as a whole. Obviously being so gamebreakingly good at the end is impressive, but Blue is pretty solid before then. Even normally, Blue and Rouge are the best choices for all around casters in the game so he'll still be a strong contributor before he gains all of the magic in the game.

Mei-Ling: Mei-Ling is essentially the go to choice fora hybrid mage/gunner character. She learns magic and guns at a decent rate, she comes with a bit of both, and she's available early and in almost every scenario. Interestingly enough she actually has the exact same talent list as Asellus and Emelia so theoretically she could be just as versatile as they are. In practice however, her starting stats really force her into that gunner mage role. You can make her an okay sword user or fighter but just remember that her starting strength stat is a lowly 3.

Engineer Car:Engineer Car is available in every scenario with at least 1 other mech and in about half of those scenarios he's the only other mech which means you'll use him frequently if you want to use two or more mechs in your party. Overall he's pretty solid. His primary mech skills are focused on healing other mechs but he also gets the good damage skills like Plural Slash to contribute on the offensive end. Sadly, if you only want one mech T260G is the better choice for reasons we'll go into in the next scenario but Engineer Car is by no means bad.

Thunder: Easily the most popular monster in the game. Thunder's starting skill loadout means that he will usually bounce back and forth between an Ogre which is solid for the early game and a Trisaur which is really overpowered for the early game. He really is this games Jeigan character. New players will tend to over-rely on him and then find themselves in trouble when the enemies have caught up and Thunder's not cutting it anymore. Aside from that, he's really generic as far as monsters go.

Silence: Silence like White Rose is another mystic with nothing to separate him from the others. His base Strength and Vitality are slightly above average but everything else is below. Really he's not the best choice and his biggest advantage is that he comes with mid game mystic absorbs pre loaded. Be careful though as if you try to pick up a certain mystic with him as the only other mystic in your party, she won't join. Also picking him up means you have to do Omble over the Light Labyrinth which usually isn't worth it.

Character Availability: Blue's character availability is extremely average. He gets a little bit of everything but nothing stands out. I guess his human selection might be a bit above average because of the gradius folk. He is one of two characters who can pick up Dr. Nusakan so I suppose that's kind of neat.

Unique areas Since Blue's plot is so sparse he only has two unique areas with those being his final dungeons which admittedly are both pretty cool. In fact, Blue's final dungeons are probably my favorite ending sequence in the game. Aside from that though, Blue has nothing besides the fights against Kylin, Timelord, and Rouge. So really, there's not much stuff that Blue gets to do but in the end it doesn't matter, his scenario is all about pushing the limits of what magic can do.

Miscellaneous Aside from the obvious Time Magic game breaking, there's still some cool stuff that's unique to Blue. The Region Map is the obvious one and makes travel much more convenient. Be careful though as you can unintentionally (or intentionally) shut off sidequests by using it in the wrong place like how I used it in Tanzer. In fact, this is something that the Blue speedrun uses to it's advantage and it allows the TAS to complete the game in about 20 minutes. I'll post a link to it once we beat the final boss as it's a pretty fun watch. Speaking of Tanzer, Blue won't recruit Fei-On or Slime and I believe he's the only character who avoids having Slime sneak into his party as he rudely region maps out after grabbing the Vitality Rune.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, I think Blue's quest is one of the more beginner ones, like Emelia. She's much more goal-oriented and comes with a place to (somewhat) statgrind and a paycheck, but Blue's there to basically teach you how to magic, and as it's been established, he's basically one of the single most overpowered characters in the game post-duel. It doesn't guarantee you'll clear his scenario without doing the actual work like any of the others, but you've got a better hand dealt to you in this quest than you do in some of the others as long as you play it properly.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think this definitely belongs in this thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ku_u24dOw

I never knew someone would love SF(And Kirby) this much...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Honestly, I think Blue's quest is one of the more beginner ones, like Emelia. She's much more goal-oriented and comes with a place to (somewhat) statgrind and a paycheck, but Blue's there to basically teach you how to magic, and as it's been established, he's basically one of the single most overpowered characters in the game post-duel. It doesn't guarantee you'll clear his scenario without doing the actual work like any of the others, but you've got a better hand dealt to you in this quest than you do in some of the others as long as you play it properly.

On the other hand, Blue's quest is literally just side-quests that every other character (except maybe two I think?) has access to. I mean, sure, he can't get to his final dungeon five minutes from starting the game, but every other character at least has their own story quests to do. It's the reason he's one of the two scenarios I never replay, since everything I can do in his is also available in the others.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I don't remember if it's been said before, it probably has, but it's been awhile so I'm going to ask anyway. If you, say, got Engineer Car and then beat Blue's scenario then went into another scenario and got Engineer Car again, does he have the exact same stats as when you left him? As in is he super high level and overpowered?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I don't remember if it's been said before, it probably has, but it's been awhile so I'm going to ask anyway. If you, say, got Engineer Car and then beat Blue's scenario then went into another scenario and got Engineer Car again, does he have the exact same stats as when you left him? As in is he super high level and overpowered?

No, Mechs stats are entirely based off of equipment. They have a starting set of equipment that they are given at the start of a scenario that determines what stats they have to start off.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

dude789 posted:

No, Mechs stats are entirely based off of equipment. They have a starting set of equipment that they are given at the start of a scenario that determines what stats they have to start off.

I was just using Engineer as a random example. I just meant characters in general.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I was just using Engineer as a random example. I just meant characters in general.

No. They all reset. If you have system data transferred from a beaten game humans and mystics will have slightly higher base stats, but they will be base stats all the same.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Crazyweasel posted:

Holy hell, I would play the ever-living poo poo outta that. That Chef skill was brilliant, and the whole idea is just excellent. Is this just sort of a supercut, or did someone make this as a real (or even just partial) mod to the actual game image?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Holy hell, I would play the ever-living poo poo outta that. That Chef skill was brilliant, and the whole idea is just excellent. Is this just sort of a supercut, or did someone make this as a real (or even just partial) mod to the actual game image?

It seems to be a hacked romancing saga 3 game with Kirby superstar ultra graphics and SF number front and combo system. If it is real that seems like a lot of work, but Japanese nerds have done :psyduck: type mods before.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The big hack I've heard of is Romancing Saga 3.12 which basically mashes stuff together from all of the Saga games in the Romancing Saga 3 game engine. It includes attacks, bosses, characters, quests and songs from all of the games. It's pretty neat. Sadly it's Japanese only though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

Sadly it's Japanese only though.

The tragic fact about anything SaGa-related, really. The closest we ever got to fan interest is the almost-completed Romancing SaGa 3 fan translation and the completed SaGa 2/3 DS fan translations. Romhacks are generally way more than any English-speaking player seems to be willing to invest time in. :sigh:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Crazyweasel posted:

It... it's beautiful. :swoon:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Crazyweasel posted:

Fund it. Fund it! FOR GOD'S SAKE, FUND THE drat GAME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

dude789 posted:

The big hack I've heard of is Romancing Saga 3.12 which basically mashes stuff together from all of the Saga games in the Romancing Saga 3 game engine. It includes attacks, bosses, characters, quests and songs from all of the games. It's pretty neat. Sadly it's Japanese only though.

I just tried patching this game and playing it for myself on Michael's scenario. I got stuck at the first boss because it has a gimmick that appears to be broken. Too bad, the game seems okay enough otherwise.

• Locked thread