Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
You talk about the Mechs killing things too quickly for the humans to spark skills, so I have to ask... you know you can defend, right? I don't know what button it would be on a keyboard, but for the controller it's either L1 or R1, can't remember which. For another tidbit of lesser known information that would help against his final boss, Lute is the only MC that can be swapped out of the main fighting party. He doesn't have to be in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dr. Dos posted:

For another tidbit of lesser known information that would help against his final boss, Lute is the only MC that can be swapped out of the main fighting party. He doesn't have to be in it at all.
That was actually covered in one of the Lute updates. I forget which one.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today we'll find the second ring for Riki by doing some recycled content. How exciting.

First thing we have to do is head over to the Office to talk to Mr. Caballero.
:clint:Sell you my ring? Quit dreaming, senorita. I've got more money than you can imagine. But you've got something I really want.

Alright
Are you crazy? He's not gonna keep his part of the bargain.
A man will lie like a pig to get a woman.
...This is going nowhere. But, I've got to get the ring for Riki.
Yeah!!
Let me handle this.
:clint:At last. For a moment, I thought you were gonna chicken out. Just come to my factory. I won't disappoint you, honey.

We rejoin our group at the bar where they seem to be planning their attack.
That's no good.
Let's do it! Hey, you get information on the factory. You figure out how to attack them.
You can count on me.
Yes, sir. Top priority: rescue Mei-ling. First team will distract enemy from front entrance. Second team will resuce Mei-ling from back door.

Caballero factory is right past the crossroad. Caballero's henchmen are guarding the front but no one is in back.
Dog boy and you can sneak in from the back while I take care of the front.

And so we make our way towards the factory. Riki runs ahead of everyone and does all sorts of annoying things because he's a dunce who can't sit still.

Caballero! Come out!!

Goodness I hope they're gonna be all right. That's an awful lot of thugs. Let's go check in on Mei-Ling.

:clint:Give it up.

And then she slaps him across the room. On second thought, I think Mei-Ling can handle herself.
Mei-ling!!
:clint:drat.
Are you OK, Mei-ling?
You came to rescue me. Thank you, Riki. Thank you too, boy.
Looks like you didn't need our help.
I always appreciate a gentleman. Caballero has the ring. Let's go after Caballero!
She's tough!

Before we go we also pick up the money bag for a nice 400 credits.

They will be expecting our attack.

Before we proceed let's check out these rings. They actually aren't just for show. This ring has the same effect as the Shield spell and all of the other rings have some effect that can be used in battle. You can only use them once per fight but some of their effects are very potent. The Rings are the special bonus that Riki gains in his scenario like Emelia's costumes and Blue's magic.

T260G and Gen did a pretty good job of fighting the guys out front. Unlike T260G's scenario, in Riki's quest the two side rooms are cleared of enemies so you can pick up the treasure inside for free.

Unfortunately, the main factory section is still packed with enemies, as well as the gunmen that you have to take out.

This is the damage that the gunmen do if they manage to get the drop on you. Gen's starting armor is really terrible so he takes a lot more damage. Also Riki transformed into a Razorback here. It's one of the most common monsters to turn into because all you need is the very common Fang skill, but for now it's pretty good.

Here's the Guardian Ring in action. All of the rings look pretty similar. This giant ring flies to the middle of the screen with an image of a monster inside (in this case, a living armor).

The factory is slightly harder in Riki's scenario than T260G's scenario because T260G will have worse equips and Gen will have missed out on a bit of training. The Guardian Ring does help make up for it though and overall the difference is pretty minute. Also looking at this screenshot, Platoonapus's (the monster that Riki is currently) must have terrible pierce defense. That Enemy Fire attack did about as much as it did to Gen. Their HP is pretty good though for now so he'll survive.

Here you can see that Riki is transformed into a Zombie type enemy. There are a couple undead enemies types wandering around here and you want to be careful about having Riki absorb them. Monster's LP changes when they transform, but unlike WP and JP, it isn't restored once they transform and most undead monsters have very low LP. It's very easy to have Riki transform into the weaker Ghost or Skeleton undead monsters and have him lose a good chunk of LP. I'll go over the ins and outs of monster transformations in the next gameplay update, but for now it's something you want to be aware of.

After clearing out all the normal enemies, we work on clearing out the last few gunman in preparation of the boss.

Again this fight isn't too hard. Clear out the D-Riders and the smack the Vulcan with combos.

Pretty much any combo will take out a D-Rider and most will leave the Vulcan on death's door.

Yup.

:clint:All right. I will sell it to you. How about 10000 credits?
You mean 100 credits?
:clint:What? That's a rip off.

And after Mei-ling performs a bit of extortion, we have our second ring. That wasn't too bad was it? Oh just wait. Soon it's going to get much, much worse.

RQHY: Still 1

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You're too generous, plummeting LP when changing forms is a good indicator of the game hating you.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Playing a brand new game save with riki makes those machine guns a nightmare! And I died from my LP plummeting and then my weak monster leader geeting machine gunned to death. I could only do a fight or two before running back to the inn when I first played. Unless you have vast knowledge of this incredibly cryptic game, you are gonna die a few times.

Or just cheat the junk dealers and say gently caress it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FeyerbrandX posted:

You're too generous, plummeting LP when changing forms is a good indicator of the game hating you.

Yeah, but it's not something that's specific to Riki's quest, so it doesn't count towards the total.

Granted, Riki being forced on you makes it more of a pain in the rear end, but in theory if you felt like using monsters in other characters' scenarios, it would still apply there. (Don't use monsters in other characters' scenarios.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do look forward to an explanation of how monster transformations work. What's Caballero's ring do for us, anyway?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Glazius posted:

I do look forward to an explanation of how monster transformations work. What's Caballero's ring do for us, anyway?

I think it tries to charm all enemies, but I'll have to double check.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Is this supposed to take place before or after T260G's story? Or do all the stories happen simultaneously and we're just not supposed to think about it?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Yes, BUT! when Riki drops its game over, where in like T260G's if Slime drops who gives a gently caress?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is this supposed to take place before or after T260G's story? Or do all the stories happen simultaneously and we're just not supposed to think about it?
I think the idea is that these are taking place at the same time, but each of the scenarios is only 'broad strokes' canon to the others. Like, T260G does its story, but maybe it hangs out with one of the other guys and helps them out for a while before heading off for its own plot.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Considering how much of the plot progression in the stories largely amounts to people randomly stumbling on the thing that allows them to move forward, I actually like the broad strokes canon idea myself. For Blue's story I could see him as being a focused individual and he knows exactly what he needs to do, so he's not available in other people's stories.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Also Blue is actually an rear end in a top hat and wouldn't help anyone anyway.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Monster Transformation and Development
Monsters have been a party member option ever since the first Saga game on Game Boy, and until Saga Frontier they all functioned pretty similarly. You ate meat that was dropped by the enemies you were fighting and they would change you into a different monster form. The monster would have set stats, resistances, and moves and usually there was some form of upward momentum so that you would progress into stronger and stronger forms. Unfortunately, the lack of customization usually meant that they fell behind Humans and Mutants and other characters.

Saga Frontier changes this. In Saga Frontier monsters transform by absorbing individual skills from enemies. The game then checks a few tables to see which forms your monster is compatible with and transforms them into that form. In concept, this is a good way to add variation to monsters so that they can help keep up with the other races. There's just one problem. For the most part, Saga Frontier is incredibly consistent in its damage mechanics. That is to say, a PC with 50 strength punching an enemy with 30 blunt defense will do around the same damage as an enemy with 50 strength punching a PC with 30 blunt defense. However, unlike the earlier Saga games where most enemies and PCs had similar health ranges, Saga Frontier tends to give enemies more health than PCs. To make up for this gap, Saga Frontier gave most races more powerful offensive options than what was available to enemies. Most of these skills are not available to monsters. As a result they end up with much, much lower damage options than the rest of the races.

For example, Diva over from Emelia's scenario could use a nasty Tornado attack that could do around 500-600 to our PC characters. This was extremely dangerous to our PCs. In a solid endgame monster form we could probably expect to do around 800-1000 with that same Tornado attack. It's higher because we had higher defenses, and our monster was a bit more optimized for doing that type of damage, but compared to the thousands of hp worth of damage that other races can dish out it's quite bad.

To give another example, one time I did a run through of Asellus's tale where I used Asellus trained as a gunner along with 4 monsters. Bound Shot has a chance to get a "critical hit" that ignores defense, and when it did, Asellus did about as much, if not more than the 4 monsters combined. To be fair, the monsters were not in their absolute best available forms and Asellus was using a really great gun unique to her scenario, but the monsters were in forms that were solid for end game. The one advantage I noticed about monsters is that their skills seem to combo decently, but that just might be selective memory.

Anyway, now that we've spent these first few paragraphs tearing them down, let's talk about how to build up your monster. As far as absorbing skills go, the method is identical to mec skill absorption. Each enemy monster has up to 4 skills available with different rates of absorption and it will try to absorb the least likely skill first and work it's way up. When you absorb a skill, it will be placed in the 8th slot of a monsters Skill list. If there is already a skill there the old one will be erased so be sure to move any skill you want to keep out of the 8th slot. Once you've successfully absorbed a skill, the game makes a number of checks. The first check it makes is a short table of "special" forms. To transform into one of the monsters on this list, you must have each of the skills necessary for that special form. If you are not already that form then you will transform into it. If you are already in that form you will transform into something else, but if you keep those skills you will transform back next time you absorb something. A few people have been talking about a certain monster form in spoiler tags. This particular one is made by absorbing all of the gaze skills (Stun, Stone, Charm, Death) and is considered one of the best monsters in the game because of it's high stats and consistency. They don't all need exactly 4 skills either, you can turn into a Sphinx if you learn Sphinx Riddle, and as long as you keep Kylin's Song, Kylin will bounce back and forth between his normal form a different one.

After checking the first table, the game moves on to a second larger table containing all the other monster forms. This is where it gets complicated. Every monster skill is assigned to one of 6 categories: Head, Arm, Breath, Leg, Body, Magic. The game will check the first skill it finds for each of these categories and use it to pick a monster form. As a result the order of your skills matters! The slot with the highest priority is slot 8 and then it proceeds to go 1-7. So let's say that you had a skill set made of the following skills.

1.ArcticBreath
2.AcidBreath
3.BoltBlast
4.BoltBreath
5.DeadlyMoss
6.FireBreath
7.FlameBlast
8.GasFlame

Because all of the following are breath skills, the only skill that will be used for transformations is Gas Flame in the 8th slot. All other skills will be ignored, so for all intents and purposes of transformations, Gas Flame is the only skill this monster knows. Fortunately, this fulfills the requirement for a Chimaera (whose only requirement is Gas Flame in the breath slot). However, let's say that you absorb a monster and learn Tornado. Now instead of Gas Flame in the Breath Slot, you have Artic Breath in the Breath Slot and Tornado in the Magical slot. This fulfills the requirements for a Genbu so you'll transform into one of those.

There is one other wrinkle though. For most of the monsters in this table they require 1-3 skills absorbed with the lower end monsters only needing one or two skills. As a result there is some overlap with the skills which is there to prevent you from immediately jumping up to some endgame forms. This second table is split up into tiers based on HP. When looking for skillset matches, the game will start you at your HP threshold and then start moving up the tier lists looking for a match. So let's say that you're planning on making a monster into a Black Dragon by giving them Fang for Head, Tail for Leg and Stone Gas for Breath. If you're already in a monster form with 500+ HP than congrats! Enjoy your black dragon, but if you have less HP than you'll probably encounter some hiccups. In particular, that Fang skill is going to cause some issues. If you have less than 120 HP instead of a black dragon, you'll transform into a lowly Xeno. 120-260 or so and you'll instead turn into a Razorback like Riki in the last update. If you have those skills and more than 260 HP+ along with no other interfering skills then you should get a black dragon.

However, one thing to be wary though is that if the algorithm can't find a form by moving forward, it will instead try moving backwards. As a result once you hit that 120 HP threshold, assuming Fang, Tail, and Stone Gas are your only skills, your monster will bounce back and forth between a Black Dragon and a Razorback. This is obviously far from ideal so if you're not using one of the special monsters one strategy is to try and find two stable forms to bounce between.

So we've covered how monsters work, but once you've got a form that you're happy with you'll want to work on getting some skills. Monster's skillsets are usually pretty simple. You want the skills to maintain your form, one powerful single target skill (Griffith Scratch, Mighty Cyclone are the best, but Sylph, Ground Hit, and Ignis are passable), one good multi target skill (Windblast, Magnetic Storm, Maelstrom etc.), and Magic Heal. Also if you can get Liferain then get it and never take it off. These will probably take up about 6-7 skillslots so you do have on skill slot as a floater. This is good because even if you have a form you're happy with for endgame, you want to keep trying to absorb new skills. Everytime a monster gains a skill they've never had before they will gain +4 HP base HP. All together this can add up to about +450 HP on a monster's base health so it's rather significant. In reality you won't reach that high, but don't be surprised if the difference between a monster who completely stops absorbing skills when they get a form they like and one who never stops is about 100 HP or so at endgame.

I'd also like to mention monster equips and defenses. While it might seem that monsters don't have any equipment, they actually do it's just hidden. If you're fighting a Dullahan and he's blocking all your attacks, he is in fact blocking them with a Dullahan Shield. Some of these equips are ones that are shared with other races, whereas others are unique to monsters. If you want to see them all you can check out Oulak's FAQ. Some things to note are that sometimes the highest tier monster might not necessarily be the best. For example, the Kraken has great stats and high health, but pretty terrible defenses, whereas the Genbu has very good defenses and a shield to give him a block rate. In general, a lot of monsters tend to be very uneven with their defenses. They might have very high blunt and cold resist while having terrible everything else. You do have 4 accessory slots to shore up their defenses, but in general there's only so much you can do with accessories to make up for bad defenses in the physical categories.

In closing I would like to mention one area where monsters excel, and that is in the midgame. Monsters for the most part don't give a poo poo about WP/JP costs (especially JP because there are so few spells that a monster can get) because it gets healed to full whenever they absorb a skill and they also tend to have high base WP. As a result, if a monster gets one of the better multi target skills early they can just clean house for a while before the random encounters are able to catch up with the base power for the move. If you're using a team of Gun/Magic using humans and mecs than this can really quicken grinding. So if you want to breeze through the midgame, and have your other characters pick up the slack at endgame, it could be a solid idea to add a monster to your team.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Also, I realize that this is the longest and most complex gameplay update we've had so far, so if there's anything you're having trouble understanding just let me know and I'll try to expand on it to the best of my ability.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Are they any lovely/not endgame monsters that are still really difficult to transform into?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
All I could understand from that was "Don't use monsters".

When I played the game, I was overwhelmed how humans and mystics worked. By the time it came to monsters, apathy kicked in and I couldn't bother reading another FAQ on how they worked. I only finished Red and Emelia's scenarios and figured yep that was enough SaGa Frontier for me.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Vadun posted:

Are they any lovely/not endgame monsters that are still really difficult to transform into?

There are a couple "special" monsters that aren't very good for end game (Big Slime, Pink Lummox, Dead Lord), but once you reach that 500+ threshold the only really bad ones you can get moving forward in the table are Killer Bee (Thrust) and Rocky (Da-dum).

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Other than Riki himself, I could never be arsed to use monsters. I once did try having a monster party, but I did that on one of my Blue playthroughs. Meaning it didn't matter if they sucked since Blue would break the game anyway. Still, I managed to get a black dragon and a red dragon in there, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Although it was kind of weird how clunky those huge things looked next to Blue.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

dude789 posted:

Also, I realize that this is the longest and most complex gameplay update we've had so far, so if there's anything you're having trouble understanding just let me know and I'll try to expand on it to the best of my ability.

So... They managed to make monsters WORSE from previous games? Am I correct in reading the mechanics post as "every battle alternates between two forms. Hope you didn't gently caress up your skill list"? That's... dumb. I mean, Saga 1 was a convoluted mess of unexplained mechanics (Hi mutant stat growth and skill gain!), but at least if you got a form you liked, you didn't have to fight to keep it.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I could be wrong but I think monsters in this game only change form if they absorb a skill? So if you want to keep a form all you'd have to do is choose not to learn a skill after a battle.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Randalor posted:

So... They managed to make monsters WORSE from previous games? Am I correct in reading the mechanics post as "every battle alternates between two forms. Hope you didn't gently caress up your skill list"? That's... dumb. I mean, Saga 1 was a convoluted mess of unexplained mechanics (Hi mutant stat growth and skill gain!), but at least if you got a form you liked, you didn't have to fight to keep it.

Monsters will only change forms if they absorb a skill, but as he mentioned later in the post, absorbing skills you haven't had before gives the monster higher base HP, so it's a good idea to keep absorbing even if you have the skills for the form you want. The issue is that they ALWAYS change if they absorb a skill, so you'll end up bouncing between the form you want and something else if you're doing that. If you absolutely don't want to deal with the form changing, you just stop absorbing new skills.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yakumo posted:

The issue is that they ALWAYS change if they absorb a skill, so you'll end up bouncing between the form you want and something else if you're doing that.

They always attempt to change. The special monster we've kept in spoiler tags is so vaunted not because of its stats (77s across the board is not great, but certainly not bad) but because of its stability. As long as you keep those four Gaze skills on it and something like Magnetic Storm (I forget the exact requirements, but it looks for a generally high-level Magical skill, I think?) it'll stay on that far more often even as it learns skills, with exception of when it learns horrid, janky skills like Deathsynthesis and inexplicably becomes a Trisaur for no good reason.

Deathsynthesis is the worst skill and you should never chomp on Undead enemies.

Regardless, it changes a 100% chance of a change to something more like 25%.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dude789 posted:

The game will check the first skill it finds for each of these categories and use it to pick a monster form. As a result the order of your skills matters!

:aaa: I had no idea. All these years, I've just been sticking skills into slots either randomly or in order of usefulness, completely unaware that I was doing monsters wrong. That's enough to make me dig the game out yet again and do it correctly this time.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It isn't a Saga game if the mechanics aren't obtuse as gently caress in random places.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
Yeah, it seems like monster mechanics are so arcane that even if you master them there's really not a point to them. Most monster characters are going to shoot for similar final forms and skills, none of which are going to be equivalent to your human, mystic and robot buddies end-game and do substandard damage. I think on a normal playthrough without a money glitch, they are probably a bit better as getting enough gear to outfit your guys to where they are unstoppable juggernauts is kind of harder, so having a monster fill that niche can help you save money for outfitting a robot with huge firepower.

Most players will probably just mash the absorb button every time though and just get a bunch of lovely forms with the occasional bright spot. Why have a guy so roundabout when you can just have a human who will steadily get better in a pretty obvious and linear way? Your average player probably isn't going to find many of the special forms unless they are jotting down every monster's special attacks, but I guess you can kind of brute force getting a form a little by repeatedly fighting one enemy type and hoping to gobble up their skillset or at least taking note of what attacks they use and keeping those attacks. I'd rather just have a guy who can shoot a gun though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As interesting as the entire thing is to actually break down (I had no idea the skills actually mattered regarding monster forms, let alone their slot order of all things), it really does seem like the tl;dr version boils down to "gently caress monsters."

SaGa Frontier, ladies and gentlemen.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

As interesting as the entire thing is to actually break down (I had no idea the skills actually mattered regarding monster forms, let alone their slot order of all things), it really does seem like the tl;dr version boils down to "gently caress monsters."

SaGa Frontier, ladies and gentlemen.

Riki's quest... like filing your taxes. Horrible, awful, wroth-filled rage with ridiculous contradictory rules... but it must be done.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

FeyerbrandX posted:

Riki's quest... like filing your taxes. Horrible, awful, wroth-filled rage with ridiculous contradictory rules... but it must be done.

It would be palatable if Riki had something that made him unique compared to other monsters but it's is mostly just the Rings that distinguish him from just being generic monster X. All the other main characters (except Lute, but at least he's not a monster) have something cool about them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well, Lute allows you to not use him!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Lute is actually a pretty good character to get in Riki's quest compared to basically every other scenario since:

A.) Riki's quest is super loving long and awful. So basically you actually have time to develop his decent aptitudes but garbage start. And you get him at the very beginning no matter what.
B.) Riki takes up a slot and is complete garbage, so having a jack-of-all-trades character like Lute actually has some functional viability to shore up your inevitable weaknesses (Riki)
C.) When the ultimate gently caress-you hits, if you aren't prepared for it, having a jack-of-all-trades character can maybe save your bacon. I guess.
D.) Who cares, this scenario hates you, use whoever you want, gently caress you

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

C.) When the ultimate gently caress-you hits, if you aren't prepared for it, having a jack-of-all-trades character can maybe save your bacon. I guess.

The penultimate gently caress-you also would benefit from someone who could... work well with others, so to speak.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Honestly Lute isn't even a particularly good jack of all trades, I just use him anyway

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I Love You! posted:

Honestly Lute isn't even a particularly good jack of all trades, I just use him anyway

Rouge is so much better. I would use Rouge over Lute any day, in any scenario, regardless of what I actually need him to do. Lute is just so subpar in drat near every way.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Raitzeno posted:

Rouge is so much better. I would use Rouge over Lute any day, in any scenario, regardless of what I actually need him to do. Lute is just so subpar in drat near every way.

Rogue is like the best character in the game along with Gen and everyone can get him trivially easy so yeah

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

I Love You! posted:

He is sub-par as far as other humans go, but in terms of Riki's scenario, he is one of the few sidekicks flexible enough that can be useful by the time you get to the God-awful end.

No Annie, no Liza, no Roufas, no Rouge (if I remember right)...he is kind of hard pressed for good sidekicks.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've got the footage for the next update so be prepared for one of the most spectacular dick moves in Riki's scenario. Next update should be up midway through next week? But for now it's college football time!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ugh. At least we get the same reduced rate that T260G got.

Once we get to Koorong we're immediately thrust into a brief cutscene with Mei-Ling to get some more direction on what to do next.

Let's see...there's a mystic called Ring Lord in Mosperiburg, there are many legends about a ring in Shrike, a Manhattan jewelry store has a ring for sale, a Yorkland billionaire has a ring, another guy who had a ring was lost in a ship accident, and then of course there's the prisoner serving a million-year prison sentence in Despair who's supposed to have one too.
Ahhh!!!! Don't tell me all at once!
Oh, sorry.

After getting a summary of all the rings, we can ask Mei-Ling for specifics on each ring that Riki's tiny brain is more capable of understanding.

There's a billionaire in Yorkland.

This one about the rich guy seems promising let's check on that one first.

But first we buy some stuff for T260G because he was pretty terrible. CyberGloves and MirrorGlasses are some of the most cost effective ways to pump up a mec at the start of the game. They each only cost about 300 credits and give substantial stat increases.

Anyway let's make our way over to Yorkland.

Wait what...

What!

WHAT!!?!

So yup! We're in Tanzer and this is one of the absolute biggest dick moves in Riki's scenario. You're dumped in here the instant you try to leave Koorong with no chance to pick up new characters, get new magic, or grind outside of the sewers. It is tremendously dickish and absolutely worthy of our second point on the RQHY counter(+1).

:j:Maybe we were swallowed by that monster, Tanzer!!!
:yohoho:A ship, this is a pleasant surprise.

For the most part, this first bit starts out the same as when we saw it in Emelia's quest.

:v:Hey, don't tell us what to do.
:yohoho:Shut up and do as you're told!
Stop it!!

Although Riki does have to fight these guys. They go down in a couple rounds.

Riki turns into a bee which is one of the more common forms you'll see around this level.

:yohoho:drat...Boss...these idiots don't listen to us. ..
;-*You are pretty tough aren't you.

Nomad shows up and this is where things start to diverge from what we've seen.

;-*Sorry for the little misunderstanding back there.
Yeah!
;-*You are a good kid.
Look!

And then Mei-Ling has to drag Riki away because he was about to show Nomad his ring like a dunce.

Oh Sorry.
Ha-ha, nothing,nothing. By the way, where are we? Who are you?
;-*My men can act like morons sometims. We are in the belly of Tanzer. I didn't believe there was such a creature as this until it swallowed my ship recently. We are just trying to make ends meet by scavenging whatever Tanzer eats up. You'd better move along quickly before this monster opens its big mouth again.
Wait a minute. Don't go with her. She is the infamous crime boss, Nomad!!
:j:Crime boss!
:v:Really?!
:witch:How scary!
:stat:Good looking...

I'm Riki!! What happened to your hair? Are you sick?
No, my hair is like this because I am in training.

And it looks like these two know each other.
That's what I should be asking. You said you were leaving for Kyo to train yourself. You lying dog.
My ship was swallowed by Tanzer on the way to Kyo. I had no choice.
No more excuses! You never spend any time with me. You are always too busy with your training. I'm sick of waiting.
You made her cry!

Yes, I'm OK. It's nothing. Let's go.

Now we have to head back to Fei-On's town. One thing you might not realize at first, but there's an extra element that screws you over by coming here so early. Riki is completely locked out of the Rune quest because he comes to Tanzer now(+1). There is exactly one character who can get the gift of Rune magic in Riki's quest and that's because she comes with it. In fact I suspect that they gave her the gift especially for Riki's quest so at least someone would have it, because she's kind of hard to miss.

Sure enough our LP is restored but everything else stays the same (+1). It's true that this is the case for other characters as well but the circumstances in Riki's quest make this much more difficult to manage.
In particular:
-Riki has a lot more to do in Tanzer than other characters.
-You only have 5 characters so if you want to swap characters out to restore WP and JP you have to form incomplete teams(which most new players won't even know about!)
-You're coming here so early that your max WP and JP will probably be very low.
Anway, let's talk to Fei-On so we can get this over with.

The Ring? No idea
Riki, let me see the ring.
Is it OK?

There is a rumor that one of the passengers on the ship Tanzer swallowed had a ring. Do you know anything about it?
I haven't seen anyone with a ring. Why are you so obsessed with it anyway?
(Riki explained to Fei-on)
I see. That's a very important ring. But it could've been lost inside. There is no way you'll find anything now. Wait...Nomad might know something about it.
Why don't we go ask Nomad?
That's risky. If Nomad finds out about the rings, there'll be trouble. I'll go with you.
No!
...All right. But let me take you there. It's very difficult to find Nomad's lair. Are you going? (Yes!)

Anyway now we have to follow Fei-On to Nomad's hideout. The path is exactly the same as the one in the rune quest.

Of course Fei-On's tendency to disappear on some screens can make it difficult for new players.

We're getting there.

And here we are. As you can see the entrance is the same as in the rune quest it just takes you somewhere different. Anyway, that's enough for now. Next time we'll confront Nomad and fight one of the hardest bosses in the game.

RQHY: 4!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Holy poo poo the writing in this game is so terrible.

:byodame: "what are you doing in this fish that just swallowed us? I thought you were going to randomtown!!!"

:madmax: "erm I...was swallowed...by a fish..."

:byodame: "THAT'S NOT AN EXCUSE!"

:pwm: "this is your fault monk guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Huh? I don't remember being forced to Tanzer as Riki.

• Locked thread