Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Lots to do today and a couple optional bosses to kill so let's get started.

To reach our first target we need to head on over to IRPO to start up the Shield Quest.

Just start the quest as normal and move up partway through the area until you see this fairy.

Then you need to kill it. It's nothing special in battle, but killing this fairy is necessary for the optional boss to appear.

After you kill the fairy run through the cave to the other side of the mountain to check if this snowman is here. If he is, good. If he isn't, go back and try again.

It's also important that the snowman is positioned to the south. There's another snowman who might pop up around the left side here who just triggers a fight with some Snowfolk.

Meet Jotnar, one of the three major "secret" bosses in this game.

As you might expect, Jotnar loves to use Ice attacks. In addition to your typical Ice attacks he also can use Water Cannon multiple times, and bust out some pretty strong physical attacks.

He can also do this.

Windblast is the one attack you don't want to see. It is blockable fortunately and that's the only reason Asellus survived. However, Asellus isn't winning this by herself so we have to try again.

As long as Jotnar's not Windblasting everyone into oblivion, he's pretty manageable. We have so much water protection that he can only take out one person at a time.

We get some combos going, but I really need to buff up this team's damage. Everyone really struggles to damage Jotnar because their best damage comes from contact moves and Jotnar's Ice Barrier really hurts.

But eventually he goes down. Now one interesting thing about Jotnar is that he's vulnerable to some status effects and instant death. If you want, you can come here really early with Rouge and keep resetting until Implosion hits. I may have been able to do this with Rei and her Reaper spell, but it was less tedious to beat him legitimately.

To get our prize for winning the fight we need to go back in the ice cave. Previously in the back room there was a Suzaku encased in ice. Now that Jotnar is dead, he's free and wandering around.

Suzaku is...ok. Being an endgame monster he has endgame stats, but his skills are terrible.

We try to beat the boss Suzaku but after the Jotnar fight we're too gassed to take him on. Fortunately losing this fight doesn't lead to a game over. Still we have to get stronger.

We've been in and out of the Bio Research Lab before but we've not explored it in its entirety. We're going to do that now.

Ignoring how valuable it is for grinding, the Bio Research Lab is one of my favorite areas. It looks cool and replacing the monsters with a mix of scientists who regret their experiments along with those who've gone crazy because of them is really neat.

Asellus learns some good sword skills, although one thing I noticed is that I don't get Asellus gets her resistance to lower mystic attacks until she's transformed. Mesarthim also took about 480 from the same attack whereas Illdon only took about 120, and these enemies are classified as lower mystics.

The lab is another area that was supposed to have some scenes with Asellus that were dropped. I think she was supposed to talk with a scientist here.

This is one of the trickier areas of the lab. To progress you need to find a hidden switch.

keep them alive
This is particularly interesting because it seems to indicate that there were other half mystics at some point.

Anyway, you need to examine this bookshelf to explore the lower parts of the lab.

A bit further in and you find this room where some animal seems to be hooked up to a machine.

This fight must be scripted or something because the monsters we're fighting are way stronger than this. He goes down in one attack.

After the fight Cotton joins us. He's okay if you pick him up early, but he's way to weak for us now. His initial form is unique though.

Here we go! Up until now I had been grinding against monsters who were one level below the maximum. Now we're fighting top tier stuff.

This is the Snowfolk, what we would have fought if we touched the wrong snowman. He sort of shares the top tier slime monster with the other elemental creatures like Airfolk and Gelatin.

Down in the basement of the lab, the experiments really started to get out of control. We need to go down here because none of the upper level scientists are bird type monsters.

You can see some of people they've been experimenting on down here. They also seem to have stolen the waiting room skeleton from Dr. Nusakan.

This is the top tier bug monster. As far as top tier monsters go, he's pretty easy. Looks cool though.

Inside this cell block we find our target. The scientist to the upper left is a bird type monster.

Which in their maximum rank form are suzakus! These guys when absorbed into a mystic weapon give mediocre skills but a massive +20 to each stat. We will be getting 13 of them.

I've got some bad news for you buddy. No red blood in this party

And now I've got some worse news. At this point I decide to just screw it and let Asellus absorb everything.

Although to be honest the results aren't that impressive. This is the before and after transformation from her Triple Thrust skill. Of course it was only about a 35 point difference between her original stat and the cap but still. I think if I would have made her a fighter the difference would be more pronounced.

Here is our team after we're done absorbing everything. Asellus, Rei, and Mesarthim all have 3 suzakus. Illdon and Zozma have two Suzakus and a Dullahan in the sword (gives +20 to everything but Will and Vitality but also gives Griffith Scratch in the Sword slot). Along the way, Mesarthim and Rei learned all the Light magic spells and Illdon learned Shadow Servant. This team could probably beat any final boss in the game right now with ease.

With two spell casters with MegaWindBlast, random encounters are a non factor. Especially since Rei has some much JP.

Good lord game calm down! I don't think I've ever seen that many top tier enemies in one fight. The only one that isn't in the highest rank is the basilisk who's a rank below.

The optional boss for the Lab is behind this door. We need to release the lock on it first though.

Here we go. This seems promising.

This is the top tier female mystic enemy. You don't really see them that often because it's hard to find areas with raised encounter ranks who have female mystic enemy types. The lab has slimes, plants, zombies, birds, insects, male mystics, and beasts, the swamp has reptiles and Despair has the laser room for mechs but I don't know anywhere with female mystics and a raised encounter rate.

After the fight the screen changes briefly to show that the locked room has opened up.

Here we go!

After she says this we here stomping sounds and the screen starts to shake more and more uncontrollably as the creature gets closer.

This lovely specimen is the Earth Dragon, another one of the games optional bosses.

So of course the first thing we do is set up our buffs and transform Asellus.

The Earth Dragon has tons of defense and an irritatingly high block rate so even level 2 combos like this one are very handy to neutralize his defenses.

Iron Ball is the Dragon's most dangerous attack. It does loads of damage and he uses it multiple times.

But between all of our buffs, he's having a hard time hurting us. We've been able to keep up with the damage with simple Starlight Heals.

Really the only danger is running out of resources and having to plink away with weak attacks. I could have avoided this if I was more patient and didn't blow away every random encounter along the way in with MegaWindBlast.

But even a combo of mostly terrible attacks like Sun Ray can be impressive when they ignore defense.

And this combo ends up taking him down.

Our prize is a spectacular shield capable of blocking tons of attacks. Much better than a terrible monster don't you think?

Anyway, next time we're gonna bust into Chateau Aigulle and start smashing some faces.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It always really bummed me out that the BioLab got relegated to optional area. Here was this clearly really interesting section of the game that obviously had a story behind it, and due to cuts and whatnot, there's exactly gently caress all in the way of getting to play with it. You can still go, obviously, but it's one of the places where the flaws in the finished product are most glaring.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Jotnar is a jerk. If memory serves he can throw out like 5 Windblasts in a single turn if he so chooses.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Random Essence fact: Cotton is, apparently, an IRPO agent. Meaning yes, more Fuse's quest content.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Derek Barona posted:

It always really bummed me out that the BioLab got relegated to optional area. Here was this clearly really interesting section of the game that obviously had a story behind it, and due to cuts and whatnot, there's exactly gently caress all in the way of getting to play with it. You can still go, obviously, but it's one of the places where the flaws in the finished product are most glaring.

It still tells an interesting (if incredibly obvious) story through the dialog of all the scientists. Cotton joining up is really the only place I went :crossarms: and figured there was cut stuff.
Of course I tended to miss out on the Earth Dragon before I knew he existed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unless I'm misremembering or was misled, it's possible to turn a monster into the Earth Dragon, but it requires Iron Ball, which obviously only "drops" from the Earth Dragon itself.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Random Essence fact: Cotton is, apparently, an IRPO agent. Meaning yes, more Fuse's quest content.

There is a bit of this left over, actually; if you recruit Fuse first, he'll come out and "talk" to Cotton for a bit.

Apparently a certain character in the last character's quest will also do this, but I haven't seen it so I can't be sure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Said character does since I usually remember to go through the Bio Lab on Red's quest before the final dungeon.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

dude789 posted:

And this combo ends up taking him down.

You make it sound so easy

Dareon posted:

Unless I'm misremembering or was misled, it's possible to turn a monster into the Earth Dragon, but it requires Iron Ball, which obviously only "drops" from the Earth Dragon itself.

All monster skills guides I've found contain a line that's pretty much verbatim "No, you can't absorb Iron Ball". You can't even gameshark it, in fact

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

hackbunny posted:

You make it sound so easy

All monster skills guides I've found contain a line that's pretty much verbatim "No, you can't absorb Iron Ball". You can't even gameshark it, in fact

Unless I am personally misremembering, you can gameshark it... it just doesn't work. At all. And might crash the game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

Our prize is a spectacular shield capable of blocking tons of attacks. Much better than a terrible monster don't you think?

Earth Dragon himself can also drop a Spriggan Suit or Hyperion Bazooka, if you feel like quick-loading for a couple hours.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord you're going to wreck face in the endgame kitted out like that.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Good lord you're going to wreck face in the endgame kitted out like that.

I love mystic for this reason. They don't need all that much grinding. Really you just need to spark some techniques and absorb the right stuff and away you go.

Robots are great for the same reason.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Mystics are far more obtuse though. Without a guide figuring out what enemies bump up the stats you need/want is an exercise in trial and error. So you end up doing a grind of a different sort, trying to get the right skill/stat combos you want for each of your guys.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Due to ignorance of the Mystic mechanics, I was unable to beat the endboss of Asellus's scenario. My party simply wasn't strong enough.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
All three (four if you include the only half-mystic in-game) of the races that bear mention are equally obtuse in their own special way. Oddly enough they're also fairly balanced against themselves. Not including monsters which the dev team poo poo the bed with their implementation.

As for the final boss, that fight isn't too bad. It has one hiccup I don't like, but in the context of other fights and this game, it's pretty minute. It's not all bad though, at least that fight has a very thematically fitting and awesome theme song.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back. Today, the day of reckoning for all those rear end in a top hat mystics in Chateau Aigulle is at hand.

:bahgawd:(to Facinaturu) I swore I would never go back...But I am a pilot too. Guess I've got to fly wherever I need to.
Our pilot friend is back in Owmi and he's reluctant but willing to help us get back to Facinaturu.

We fly his unique ship back to the Facinaturu caverns and the game is kind enough to let us go back to Owmi if we need to.

The enemies are getting pretty strong with all the grinding I did in the Bio Lab.

While it was probably unnecessary, I have Rei absorb the Unicorn into her mystic sword. This sacrifices some of her physical stat buffs but gives her slightly more magical stats and more importantly let her use the potent Magic Heal skill.

With Orlouge

A few fights later and we are back in town. Where it seems that the music has changed to a more solemn tune than what we heard at the start of the game.

If you pop into the dress shop, it seems that someone has kidnapped Gina. If you wish you can rescue her.

Back at the rose gate it seems that Orlouge was expecting Asellus because it opens right up.

However, the majority of the castle is rather deserted.

You can get some more dialog by visiting each of the coffins in Chateau Aigulle. Here we have Rei's.

:sparkles:Orlouge's wanting to keep these coffins is his weakness. In this respect he's no different than any other man.

And Lion Princess's.

:clint:Can you really stop someone that loyal?
Apparently you've fought the Lion Princess before. She must have been toying with you before. This time things will be different.

...Princess White Rose...still trapped in the Labyrinth of Darkness.

And finally White Rose's where an image of her stands in front of the coffin. It fades away when you try to talk to her.

You definitely want to stop here in the treasure chamber. When we were here before Asellus was too weak to carry it out, but now you can get it all for free.

The real prizes here are the Silver Moon, which is the best Katana in the game, and the Light Rifle which only has one bullet, but a staggering attack power of 88. Two-Gun Bound Shots from this thing can do over 5000 damage.

We give the Silver Moon to Asellus and the Light Rifle to Rei so she can get some WP for Magic Heal.

Castle of Needles

The teleporter is broken so to get to the top of Chateau Aigulle we'll have to go through the monster infested back path.

Although just because it's monster infested doesn't mean that it can't be pretty. By the way, you'll want to remember this room for later.

You can also pop into this side cave for a full party heal. It's not really necessary for us, but it's appreciated.

Alright rear end in a top hat, you killed us last time but it's time to get revenge.

The giant is still irritating, his defenses are high and his shield blocks things frequently.

Including MegaWindblast. Being blockable is really the only downside to the spell.

And of course he still hits pretty hard.

But we hit even harder.

With the giant gone we can open this window type thing that was behind him.

Back in this room the beam of light opens this door. I save my game here because we're about to hit the second of Asellus's ending triggers.

Inside the room is the Griffin. He's easier than the Giant though so he won't be giving us any trouble.

In addition to having much less defense, the Griffin can't block anything so he goes down much faster.

If you want, try absorbing the Griffin. It gives even better stat boosts than a Suzaku and has Griffith Scratch in the sword making it one of the best absorbs possible. Unfortunately, this is the only place you can find one.

However, it seems that the Griffin was Gina all along!
:j:Lady Asellus? It's you!! (Now I'm starting to believe in the existence of miracles.) Yes I'm all right. I was trapped inside the monster. Thank you for saving me.
Orlouge did this to you?
:j:No it was Rastaban. He brought me here and sealed me inside the monster.
Why would Rastaban do this...? Any idea, Illdon?

:j:I will wait here for you.
Challenging Ciato, kidnapping an innocent girl. This is not like Rastaban at all. Maybe...

Finishing up the caves takes us back to the room where Asellus got stabbed. You can use the teleporter to get down to the lower section of the Chateau, but it doesn't work both ways so if you use it you have to go back through the back path.

Heading to the right we find the ghost of Ciato. From here on out, Asellus's quest is a straight boss rush.

So Ciato turns into the Bat Knight in attempt to drag us down to hell with him. He's accompanied by Sonic Bats and can summon another one every round or so.

They last until either Rei or Mesarthim get a turn and blow them away.

Ciato will open every fight with this. It tries to inflict Palsy on everyone. Our mystics have tons of Charm so it is hilariously ineffective.

It only hits Mesarthim and then wears off immediately.

Looks like Ciato's blasting off again!

Have some respect Zozma. He's suffered his fate and we'll suffer ours.
Asellus is rather considerate of the person who literally stabbed her in the back.

Up next is Lion Princess. Don't worry about what Illdon said earlier. Lion Princess is very easy.

Lion Princess's big problem is that she has absolute garbage HP. I estimate that it's between 20,000 and 30,000. This hit was a 2 person combo. She's not living past the second round.

Yup. I had to fight the Lion Princess twice to get footage of two of Asellus's endings. Neither time she did any damage. In this fight Zozma blocked her attack and in the second fight Asellus triggerd Kasumi.
Lion Princess...

For winning the fight we get the strongest sword in the game. It has a massive 75 power so it goes on Asellus immediately.

Finally we have Rastaban here.
:monocle:Lady Asellus, I've been waiting for you. Now's the time for you to defeat Orloug and become ruler of Facinaturu.
Rastaban, I know what you're after. You want me to defeat Orlouge for your own selfish ambition. I want nothing to do with your little scheme I'll fight him only for myself.
:monocle:I had hoped we could be friends, and rule this region together. I guess I overestimated your intelligence.

Whether or not you have to fight Rastaban is dependent on what ending you're going for. While the human and half mystic endings have to fight Rastaban, the full mystic does not.

Rastaban is a bit stronger than Ciato and Lion Princess because he doesn't die to a sneeze, but he's still not hard. Especially since he wastes time trying to poison us.

While Rastaban's motivations are not overtly stated, the game does a good job at hinting to them throughout the game.

It seems that Rastaban wanted to move up in the world of mystics, but it was looking like Orlouge was never really considering promoting him to a higher position.

When Ciato died, Rastaban thought he might be able to take his place, but that didn't happen. So now Rastaban figures he could convince Asellus to become the new ruler and get in her good graces early. (By the way, Selection tries to petrify one party member. It missed.)

But that still doesn't really explain why he turned Gina into a monster. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Anyway, we get a Pluto Armour for beating him. If we were going for the full mystic ending he would have just given it to us.

What made you go astray?
Illdon...
I suppose I've got to see how it all ends.

Just up the path we make it to the top of the Chateau where next time, we will face Orlouge.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 8, 2015

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rastaban probably kidnapped Gina because he knew that Asellus would assume Orlouge was responsible. This would ensure that she had at least one reason to depose him, if by chance she didn't have one already. He wasn't expecting her to turn back partway through the final dungeon and find her.

I'm pretty sure there's a variant of the half-mystic ending where you don't fight him. If I understand it right, it involves never using mystic abilities, then not finding Gina.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a variant of the half-mystic ending where you don't fight him. If I understand it right, it involves never using mystic abilities, then not finding Gina.

Yeah, what triggers the Rastaban fight is rescuing Gina. If you don't you never learn he was behind her kidnapping so Asellus has no reason to fight him.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's worth noting that there's no chance of getting the Pluto Armor in that one specific ending path, as you don't get it from defeating him (since you don't fight him) and he doesn't give it to you (since you aren't going along with what he wants).

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MightyPretenders posted:

Rastaban probably kidnapped Gina because he knew that Asellus would assume Orlouge was responsible. This would ensure that she had at least one reason to depose him, if by chance she didn't have one already. He wasn't expecting her to turn back partway through the final dungeon and find her.
I suppose, but unless you visited Gina after she gave Asellus her new clothes, Asellus and Gina aren't particularly close. Also, how would Rastaban know that the two were close unless Gina went around telling everyone which seems unlikely given her relationship with the other mystics? Asellus already has a reason to take out Orlouge to save White Rose, and that seems to be something that a lot more people in Facinaturu would be aware of.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My guess is just gameplay logic. You probably spent some time wandering blindly around during your first playthrough, so you're more likely than not to have gone back to the tailor's and talked to Gina. The devs then ran with the assumption that the player would always consider going and talking to her important and wouldn't skip it the next time they played.

Or, y'know, there actually was supposed to be some mandatory relationship building between the two or something else that would've made this whole thing make more sense, but it got cut and we're left fitting the pieces back together like a jigsaw frankenstein.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 9, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

I suppose, but unless you visited Gina after she gave Asellus her new clothes, Asellus and Gina aren't particularly close. Also, how would Rastaban know that the two were close unless Gina went around telling everyone which seems unlikely given her relationship with the other mystics? Asellus already has a reason to take out Orlouge to save White Rose, and that seems to be something that a lot more people in Facinaturu would be aware of.

Interesting event trigger note: The trigger for the Griffin coughing up Gina at all? That scene in the tailor shop. The only time you can see that scene? When you return to Fascinaturu, before you enter Chateau Aguille. It's entirely possible that Rastaban just kidnapped a townsperson at random and expected the guilt at it happening in Asellus's name(?) to drive her.

Yes, this also means you can screw yourself out of the full-human ending by charging straight after Orlouge instead of exploring the lovely little town with three buildings you've already been in at the beginning of the game. SaGa!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Derek Barona posted:

Or, y'know, there actually was supposed to be some mandatory relationship building between the two or something else that would've made this whole thing make more sense, but it got cut and we're left fitting the pieces back together like a jigsaw frankenstein.

Having seen all three of Asellus' endings, I'd lean towards this. Gina is weirdly prominent in them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The scenario does open with Gina as the narrator, so it doesn't seem too odd for people to assume she's important and try talking with her in the beginning, especially on a first playthrough. But a bit more forced interaction there might have been nice. By the time you've been running around everywhere with White Rose, Gina probably wouldn't be on the player's mind as much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to seeing Asellus get her ending, however it shakes out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Asellus's Scenario Pros and Cons and Party Analysis

Asellus: Asellus is the character with the third most overall potential in the game after Blue and Red. Her ability to combine the stat gains of humans with mystic absorbs will turn her into a massive pile of stats at endgame. Also, unlike Blue and Red, Asellus is available in another scenario (Emelia's) but her potential there is a bit limited because she can only get one or two mystic weapons (you get the mystic weapons from beating the mystic bosses. Asellus only starts with the sword in Emelia's quest. She may be able to get another from Furdo.) Asellus shares a talent list with Emelia and Mei-Ling with means that she's pretty versatile and the stat buffs from mystic absorbs mean that she can excel in any area or go for a really good balanced build. Most people make her a swordsman because of the Asura, but a hybrid gunner-mage is an even better endgame choice for her.

Illdon: Illdon, like White Rose is a generic mystic. He doesn't have any unique equipment or magic and he's locked in to the mystic mail. What Illdon does have however, is great stats. Illdon has high stats across the board and can go for a caster or fighter build with equal efficiency. I usually go for a fighter build because there are other mystics who make great casters but really it's up to you.

Mesarthim: Mesarthim is up their with Time Lord for most useful mystic in the game. Multi-target healing spells are few and far between in Saga Frontier, so Life Rain is a huge boon especially since she can be recruited in almost every quest in the game. She doesn't even get locked into the Mystic Mail so she can equip a Powered Suit to get good defenses unlike most mystics. Aside from speed, most of her base stats are on the low end and she lacks the damage reduction against enemy mystics that the upper class mystics get, but as a healer, speed is all she needs and the damage reduction was only situationally useful anyway. Starting with the gift for Rune magic is a nice bonus and makes her especially useful in Riki and Emelia's quests where access to the Rune gift is limited.Just be aware that you can't try to recruit her with Silence or else he will scare her off and you will permanently miss her.

Zozma: Zozma is really nice for parties that might be a bit too weak for the area they're fighting in and it's all because of Sharp Pain. Busting out a spell that can wipe out half or more of the enemies turns at the start of the round is really nice, and can help to neutralize dangerous foes. Unfortunately, once your team is strong enough to not rely on Sharp Pain, Zozma is kind of mediocre. The rest of evil magic is terrible and his stats, while solid aren't as good as Illdon's.

Rei: Rei is easily the most min-maxed mystic in the game with huge spell casting stats and almost nothing else. Her JP growth is one of the highest in the game too so she can sling those spells for a while. Unfortunately, her HP is awful and she'll lag at least 100 HP behind everyone else at endgame which combined with being locked into the mystic mail makes her extremely frail. Mirage magic is useful every once in a while particularly against enemies weak to instant death or petrification.

Character availability: Asellus's quest as you might imagine is all about mystics. Asellus can recruit every mystic in the game aside from Dr. Nusakan and both Illdon and Rei are unique to her quest. Of course this comes at the cost of not being able to recruit any mecs. Her human and monster selection is fairly average.

Unique areas: Not too many, Chateau Aigulle is the only major one and I suppose the Dark Labyrinth is unique too although it is very tedious. Unfortunately, as a final dungeon, Chateau Aigulle is kind of a dud since it's entirely possible to run through it when you start the game. An alternate path up the Chateau that unlocks when you return would have been nice.

Miscellaneous: Asellus's quest shows off some of the best music Saga Frontier has to offer. There's a lot of bosses to show off the cool battle themes (the final boss theme is cool too) and a lot of the story/Chateau Aigulle themes are great too. Asellus also gets a lot of cool equipment. The Golden Lion, Light Rifle, and Silver moon are all incredibly powerful and unique to Asellus and you also get early access to the Asura. I used mostly mystics, but a team with a lot of humans is going to be really strong with all that loot.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

Character availability: Asellus's quest as you might imagine is all about mystics. Asellus can recruit every mystic in the game aside from Dr. Nusakan and both Illdon and Rei are unique to her quest. Of course this comes at the cost of not being able to recruit any mecs. Her human and monster selection is fairly average.

It's worth noting that you have to be careful if you want to recruit Time Lord in Asellus's scenario. Since you can't return to Rootville/Fascinaturu until the endgame, you have to know ahead of time that you need the Sand Vessel and get it at the beginning when you snag the Asura. Yes, this also leaves Asellus at an incredibly frail 4 LP, so it's not recommended, at all. The early Asura is practically mandatory to get through the Kraken, so Asellus might as well be considered as having 5 LP naturally.

Since Asellus gets more than enough Mystics on her own and is more than powerful enough to not need the help of Overdrive, it's generally a better idea to skip over Time Lord's dungeon in Asellus's quest. Of course, since Rei joins you, you can't easily get Space Magic or Kylin either, so hopefully you can get by without those. (You can generally get by without those.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Asura is definitely a help, but certainly not necessary for the kraken. You just need to be able to kill him quickly and hope he doesn't throw out too many Tentacles in one round. A bit of grinding might be in order, but Asellus can definitely get by without the Asura.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Welcome back, we return to Asellus's scenario at the very top of Chateau Aigulle in Orlouge's inner chambers.

And after heading down the other staircase, we find the balcony and Orlouge.

I'm not your daughter. I'm just Asellus even after being reborn a mystic. I'm hated by humans for being a mystic; and mocked by mystics for being human. But I know there's nothing wrong with me. I know this is my fate, and I accept it. That's all I wanted to say to you. I'm leaving Facinaturu for good.
Hold it right there. Don't you understand what you really are? Can't you feel my blood flowing in your veins? You have the power of darkness to rule the entire universe. Live, lust, and kill as you please. There is no power above you.
I am not like you. Go ahead and do so if you wish, by yourself.
Perhaps I made a terrible mistake saving a worthless human life. Let me put you out of your misery.

With that Orlouge teleports out to the previous room. This dialogue changes depending on what ending you're going to get. This is for the half mystic ending.

As usual, the backgrounds in this game are superb.

:siren:Last Battle Asellus:siren:

So here we have Orlouge. As far as final bosses go, he's one of the more RNG dependent ones for reasons that will be explained a bit later.

At the start of each round Orlouge will summon one "mistress" based on each of the portraits behind him. For the most part, Orlouge does not attack us himself and relies on the mistresses to fight us for him. The mistresses themselves cannot be targeted or killed and each one has different attacks. This one uses fire and physical attacks.

One thing that makes this fight easier for mystic heavy parties is that it starts off fairly slow. Each mistress only gets one attack and they're all single target. This gives you lots of time to set up buffs.

After the first round, Orlouge dismisses the left most mystic and summons the right most. This one uses wind and other avian style attacks like Wing and Tornado.

Orlouge's defenses are pretty solid. Not as good as the giant, but better than most final bosses. However, he has the second lowest HP of them all after Ring Lord (not counting multi-phase bosses like Genocide Heart or Spriggan.)

After a few rounds this happens. One of the portraits will buff the summoned mistress. The right portrait says it gives a quickness boost, but what it really does is let the targeted mistress multi act.

For example in this turn it used Fire Breath on three members of the team, and tried to follow it up with a Salamander attack on Asellus but she Kasumi'd it. This was extremely fortunate since Salamander is tremendously strong and would have probably done 500-700 points of damage.

Next turn the middle Portrait buffs up the right mistress. There's no displayed buffs but this portrait is easily the most dangerous.

This is why. When one of the mistresses is buffed by the middle portrait it allows them to use multi target attacks like Windblast shown above. That's not even the worst attacks either. The left mistress can use Ignis (multi target Salamander essentially) and Oscillation, and the right one can also use Magnetic Storm. If you're using her, you want to make sure Mesarthim is at full health as much as possible in case she needs to save the team with a Life Rain.

The middle mystic is the least exciting. It can only use Phantasm Shot and Hypnotism.

At this point Orlouge has taken quite the beating. So he moves on to his final phase and summons all three of the mistresses.

And also busts out his "ultimate attack." It's going to do about 300 damage pretty consistently so the multi target attacks by the mistresses are usually more dangerous.

Life Rain is really good. At this point Rei and Mesarthim are on healing duty 100% of the time.

Orlouge will not use 3 Mistresses every turn. Sometimes he will just let the mistresses attack individually which can actually be more dangerous depending on what they choose to use. At first I thought he alternated between 3Mistresses and letting them each attack, but now I think he uses it at certain HP thresholds. I did a lot of damage in the 3Mistresses round and he used it again in the round after.

However, the buffs we set up gave us a bit too much momentum early on and he goes down shortly thereafter. He starts by dismissing his mistresses.

And then Orlouge and the flower dissolve into some glitter like substance. Good luck getting that out of your clothes Asellus!

Like a Revolving Lanturn

The half mystic ending for Asellus's quest takes place in a beautiful garden.

The old lady in the rocking chair is Gina. It seems that she's lived a full life and has formed a large family.

:witch:Don't embarras your mother!

It's all because of you, Gina. Just by looking at how you lived your life I improved myself tremendously. I was blind but now I can see.

Asellus's mystic comrades are all coming to visit too.
:clint:You look well.

White Rose is there too, but even after Orlouge's defeat it looks like it took a while for Asellus to free her from the Labyrinth.

Yes. I was finally released from the Labyrinth of Darkness. Asellus said you were worried sick about me for a long time.
:witch:Where is Lady Asellus?
Asellus! What's taking her so long? Is she really not coming?
:clint:She can never make up her mind.
Don't worry, Gina. She'll come.
:witch:I hope so.

:witch:Oh please...This is all I have left. To see your young self once a year. Your youth is my youth. Always visit me until I die.
What are you talking about? You're in perfect health.

I guess we didn't see all of Ginas family. The kids from earlier seemed to young to be having kids. Or it could always be another translation error.

I'll be all right. Ildon, White Rose, and Zozma are always at my side.
:witch:You're fortunate to have such loyal friends. Let us all live happily, like in the days back then.

And the game ends with this picture of Asellus with her mystic friends. It's interesting that this picture shows Princess Lion. We never get any other indication that she survived the second fight with Asellus. Anyway, that was a sweet ending but we still have one more that is a bit more...interesting.

We reload a save and head straight to the bosses without rescuing Gina. Things progress the same until we go to talk to Rastaban.

Since we don't know what he did to Gina, we have no qualms with Rastaban and he just gives us his armor instead of having us loot it off his corpse.

Did you come back to worship me my daughter?

And this time when she talks to Orlouge, Asellus is all business.
Trying to steal my kingdom from me? That's it! Lust for power1 That's my daughter. Now take your best shot. You'll need it.

The fight goes a little less smoothly than before. The Mistresses use some of their nastier attacks this time.

One interesting thing is that since Orlouge is classified as a mystic, he would technically do 1/4 damage to our non Mesarthim members, but the only two attacks he specifically uses are a Selection (the petrify spell) and 3Mistresses which ignores the reduction.

The mistresses are all classified as human females so no damage reduction on them either. Also, the left most portrait just seems to give the mistress a slight strength buff. Way less threatening than extra turns or MT skills.

loving middle portrait.

Despite some diciness in the middle, our team once again proves to be too strong for Orlouge to handle.

This time we get the Full Mystic ending.

The first thing we learn is that Asellus has turned Gina into a mystic.

I am beyond him in every respect. I'll get 100, no 200 princesses. I'll conquer all the Mystics in the universe. Even humans and robots.
The second thing we learn is that she's loving nuts.

She's essentially Orlouge but with more ambition. Whereas Orlouge was content to live as ruler of his sex palace. Asellus wants more.

This is the end of Facinaturu.

Rastaban is just happy to brown nose.

Good. Now go get Zozma. He thinks he was the one who beat Orlouge. I must teach him who is really in control.

Even Gina is scared shitless.
Don't worry Gina. Now we'll have eternal joy together. I have the power to do it.

Whereas the human and half human endings ended with the picture we saw earlier. Here we just get a fade to black as a sound clip of Asellus cackling plays. Whereas it is a bit out of left field, it's pretty interesting to have an ending where you create a power hungry tyrant. We'll go over the human ending as part of the Fuse update, but it's easily the most bland of the bunch.

Our next main update will be anything but bland though as we start the adventures of Wonder Red!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey that's kinda nice of them. The best ending is obtained by using your awesome powers, but not too much.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dude789 posted:

We'll go over the human ending as part of the Fuse update, but it's easily the most bland of the bunch.

Well, except for the part in the Fuse update itself. It'll be obvious when we get there, but if anything in Essence pegs Fuse's scenario as the half-baked fanfiction of the game...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've always liked how differently Asellus' story can really play out. It's a pretty perfect run across the spectrum of what ifs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SSNeoman posted:

Hey that's kinda nice of them. The best ending is obtained by using your awesome powers, but not too much.

I think the difference between Mystic and Half-Mystic is just rescuing Gina. From what I can tell.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I think you can also get Half-Mystic if you don't rescue Gina if you also haven't used your Mystic stuff.

Of course, I got Full Mystic because I died in the final dungeon once and forgot to visit Gina's house in the village the second time around, so what do I know. :v:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The full mystic ending is hilarious. I don't think I've seen another game that ends with the protagonist plotting to turn the entire universe into their personal sex dungeon.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Mimingless posted:

I think you can also get Half-Mystic if you don't rescue Gina if you also haven't used your Mystic stuff.

Of course, I got Full Mystic because I died in the final dungeon once and forgot to visit Gina's house in the village the second time around, so what do I know. :v:

If you rescue Gina and use mystic items, or don't rescue Gina and don't use mystic items, half mystic.

If you don't rescue and do use, full mystic.

If you do rescue and don't use, human.

That's how it's supposed to work, and again, that's not strictly true because bugs (You can use the later mystic items if you can trick them into being with mystic spells and still get the human ending)

Red's scenario is great because of how blunt Red is. Red's scenario is probably the most complete story aside from T260g's, but as a result, the few bits that are missing feel a little more confusing. It also shows off some things cut from other scenarios, which is interesting.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Aww yeah, now it's time for the real star of the game!

I kid, but Red really is my favorite character.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Mimingless posted:

How her ending works is weird. The first major flag is if you 'properly' rescued Gina from the griffon. Which means talking to the tailor first, then fighting the griffon. The second major flag is how often you use and successfully absorb things via mystic sword. For example, if you improperly saved her from the griffon (didn't talk to the tailor first then fought the griffon boss) but never used your mystic abilities, you get railroaded into the half-mystic ending. Any choices you might have made get over written if you overused the mystic sword which railroads you into the full mystic ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ryushikaze posted:

That's how it's supposed to work, and again, that's not strictly true because bugs (You can use the later mystic items if you can trick them into being with mystic spells and still get the human ending)

Part of the problem with how Asellus's ending works is that there's two seperate checks: One for the ending itself, and one for Rastaban's reaction to you. In ALMOST all cases, the Rastaban check is the important one, but here's a rough rundown:

Do you have anything absorbed in your MysticSword or MysticBoots?
Did you talk to the Tailor and fight the Griffon?

If you answered Yes to the first and No to the second, you're on the Full Mystic path, and Rastaban is super-chummy with you.
If you answered no to both, or yes to both, you're on the Half-Mystic path. If you answered no, Rastaban will not fight you. If you answered yes, he will.
If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, you're on the Human path.

There's a second check during the final conversation with Orlouge, but it's much less complicated:

If you didn't have anything absorbed in your MysticSword when you talked to Rastaban, do you have anything absorbed in it now? If so, you get the Full Mystic ending, no questions asked.

Note that the MysticGlove has no effect whatsoever on what ending you get, and you can absorb things freely into the Boots (if you have them) after you've fought Rastaban. Also note that you have to have the scene with the Tailor before entering Chateau Aguille, or else the Griffon fight doesn't count.

• Locked thread