Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Tallgeese posted:

Isn't DSC just an acronym for "Dream Super Combo"? I really reading that in the English guide.

I could've sworn it meant "Dangerous Super Combo", myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

SSNeoman posted:

:stare:

You're loving joking. Tell me you're loving joking. There is not a single RPG in the world where that won't be broken as hell. Who thought this was a good idea?

I assume you're not that familiar with Square's work... :v:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Ardeem posted:

T260G Let's save the best for last.

dude789 posted:

All of you worrying about Riki's quest ending up last can rest easy. I'm saving Red's quest for last.

And that's why my vote is for T260G, because we're already saving the best for last.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

I really like how the super-smart NPC was also super-smart enough to keep a copy of his brain in his computer, ready to go into a mech in case he got killed in some kind of accident or, in this case, blown the gently caress up.

It's a nice touch, really.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

It's really strange that we have this minimalist scenario which is basically just, "Go do sidequests until you stumble on the right event flag for the final dungeon," when they apparently had a whole 8th scenario planned out for Fuse that never made it into the final cut. I wonder if they just ran up against time constraints or something before they could implement Fuse and decided, "gently caress it, just put something in there," and we got Lute's story instead.

That is definitely exactly what happened. No doubt you were originally intended to go recruit the other protagonists as Lute, or maybe just other important characters, taking a brief role in their storylines.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Stroth posted:

Lets go ahead and finish strong. Riki

There's one storyline that hasn't even been put to vote and I'm pretty sure that's our finish, and it's gonna be VERY strong. :ssh:

Go with Riki to get the worst this game has to offer out of the way in rapid succession.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

It only works when everybody is knocked out save Mechs right? There are some fights where you start with a full party and knocking everybody out just to use it is annoying enough, and his crutch alone isn't enough to win, so you'd have to make it even more arduous by reviving everybody from scratch after using it.

Nope.

(spoiled in case OP wants to talk about it later)
As long as they're blinded, messed, paralyzed or asleep, in other words unable to see clearly or look at Red, you can use that move.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Much like Lute himself. It says something when, as bad as Riki is and how much everyone hates him, even he actually does something in his quest. Lute, meanwhile, is basically just standing in for Fuse if Essence is anything to go by.

Lying is bad, Riki doesn't actually do anything in his scenario and you know it. :colbert:

At least Lute isn't mechanically garbage, just suboptimal.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm going to guess that when you get the last ring, it turns out you just succeeded in powering up the big bad guy whose plan this was all along, and it then sends you past a point of no return to a whole new section of the game cut off from all previous zones where all the enemies are super powered up and all the equipment that could help you survive it is way way way more loving expensive, so if you weren't already prepared enough and you were foolish enough to overwrite your save before you realize the situation you're in, you are now hosed for the rest of the game with no way out.

Just like The 7th Saga

Oh you naive, innocent person.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

quote:

One point in Riki's favor: He's adorably childish. :3:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

So the slimes, despite being a wall a lot of people quit at, still isn't the biggest dick move?

Gods, this scenario is so poorly designed. It's such a shame, really, because you can sort of see what they were going for, and the plot at least is there unlike some of them.

I'd say it's probably the biggest combat dick moves.

As has been hinted at, though, Riki's quest has dick moves in almost every facet a jRPG can have. :unsmigghh:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

And there it is, there's the big gently caress you, the big, unavoidable, plot-based gently caress you.

"Ahaha you accomplished nothing and your stupid friends just shrug and decide to move, you didn't even have to go on that quest, Riki. gently caress you. gently caress you Riki."

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Asellus starts out probably the squishiest character. Maybe riki is weaker. However is probably the 2nd strongest character in the entire game. With uber blue being the strongest.

Don't forget Red, he's probably the best human in this game, but we'll see why after Asellus, and she's a pretty great character to boot.

We're in for the best parts of the game from here on out. :allears:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Aww yeah, now it's time for the real star of the game!

I kid, but Red really is my favorite character.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

And now the best part of the game begins. :allears: I love Red's story. I also love all the mechanics that come with Alkaiser mode, but I'm sure the OP will explain those.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

It was mentioned already and it's probably obvious, but it bears repeating: If Alkaiser's on screen in a battle, his theme is playing.

And what the OP mentioned about Alkaiser's restrictions actually comes with some really cool moments where your entire party gets knocked out or blinded or something terrible like that, but you can come from behind by just turning into Alkaiser and laying waste.

This is one of many reasons Red's scenario kicks rear end the most. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I always love Red's reunion with Asellus:

"I live in a place where monsters, humans, mystics, and robots all live side-by-side, where magic is a real thing, where a giant monster swallows ships, where I was saved from certain death by a superhero and turned into a superhero myself, but you looking a little young for your age is JUST IMPOSSIBLE"

Red is, like most* good shounen heroes, a little on the dim side.

*I say most because I'm sure there were some smart Kamen Riders and of course there's always Joseph motherfucking Joestar.

• Locked thread