Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

Just a heads up, I had some computer issues today that might delay the next update by a bit. Also the party will probably not be exactly the same after the next few updates. I lost a bunch of stuff so I have to replay back up to where I was. It's not too big a deal, as the game goes by so quick I only have about 2 hours or so of game time. I might put up a new gameplay update or something in the meantime.

poo poo, now we'll never get to see those characters again for the rest of the game!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

KataraniSword posted:

Even the best fighting characters only have talents in three of the Sacred Four. I think Liza's "weakness" is Sliding, so since she hadn't sparked that yet anyway, we're probably good.

You want to learn it from Kick as early as possible. If you don't get it early, you'll start learning "better" moves from it instead.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
e: ^^^yeah that^^^

They're basically always upfront with what equipment gives total immunity to elements. It honestly isn't even really worth worrying about specific resistances on armor or suits, in practice they're more of a curiosity than anything.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 14, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I've heard *somthing* Suplex Combo also.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Dream Super Combo sounds the most like an actual Japanese wrestling move name.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Why are you still using that Katana anyway?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

The Katana's actually still serviceable (30 WP) right now. It's the Samurai Sword that's bad (18 WP).

Oh right, I forgot about the Samurai Sword.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Thwack! posted:

Man, those 'detailed' 3D models of the characters of this game are just a gosh darned relic of the PSX era.

Much like your posting.

No seriously, you avatar has the exact same proportions as them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Raitzeno posted:

There're a few ranks of the place that can spell major trouble,

loving Crystal Trees.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

TurnipFritter posted:

Go Blue team. :effort:

Um, Engineer Car is brown.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

DankRhymer posted:

So I seriously have no idea what is happening in this gameplay segment. I haven't played Saga Frontier before but I was able to follow the first story easily enough. Is Dude just going around picking up characters we've never seen before and then doing random dungeons?

The story so far:

-Blue gets his mission to get all the magics so he can kill his brother.

-He ran around to random places to get party members (most of these places will actually come up in the plot at some point).

-He picked Shadow Magic over Light Magic, and learned the gift for it in Omble.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Also technically monsters kinda blow late-game. I'm not even 100% sure you could beat some of the final bosses with just monsters if you let the enemy rank get too high.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Are you gonna show off both final magic routes with Blue? Because speaking of evil twin-ness...

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

SSNeoman posted:

:stare:

You're loving joking. Tell me you're loving joking. There is not a single RPG in the world where that won't be broken as hell. Who thought this was a good idea?

You can do pretty much the same thing in a few Final Fantasy games without losing all your MP and no 10 second Overdrive animation.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

SSNeoman posted:

You're thinking of Quick, right? You still have to recast it though. And it only ("only") gives you two turns.
But I guess the trade off is pretty obnoxious.

You can milk 5 Ultima casts or do about 100,000 physical damage a turn if you set it up right.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
If you try to use a move on an enemy that is completely immune to that type (like trying to slide at a flying enemy, or throw something unthrowable), will it let the move into a combo? I don't remember this ever happening to me, probably because I can only think of a few fights where it would even come up.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

a cartoon duck posted:

On the other hand, Blue's quest is literally just side-quests that every other character (except maybe two I think?) has access to. I mean, sure, he can't get to his final dungeon five minutes from starting the game, but every other character at least has their own story quests to do. It's the reason he's one of the two scenarios I never replay, since everything I can do in his is also available in the others.

On the other other hand, his quest gives actual story reasons to go to the the optional magic areas. I beat Red's quest first and didn't even know magic gifts existed until I played as Blue for my next run.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
e: ^^^Yeah, that.^^^

If I remember right from the Essence book, Rouge (he's the one that officially wins the duel) traps himself in hell to keep Hell Lord sealed away, but the rest of the party manages to wish Rouge back out through the power of friendship or some poo poo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I thought Dr. Leonard was an old woman in a babushka the first time I played, and I'm still pretty sure the mec version had arms growing out of the back of it's head. His sprites are weird.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
You need to show off Omega Form's "running" animation somewhere (a .gif?).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Stroth posted:

About average really. Maybe a bit above.

The problem is his average spills over into stuff like lightbulb dodges and things that are easy to learn anyway like Gun Techs.

e: On a related note, teach 5 humans Bound Shot at Bio Lab, buy some Lethal Guns and Power Cures, and run straight to the last boss. There's your fool-proof Lute's scenario strategy guide.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 4, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
You didn't actually fight Time Lord yet did you? It's the only big fight I can think of where Psychic Prison has any good use.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

FredMSloniker posted:

What the hell is with this guy's sprite? For a second i thought this was a really bad edit.

It's animated in-game so it blends in a bit better.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
So, long story short: Don't bother with magic in Riki's quest.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

I dont know posted:

Fixed that for you.

Honestly, magic's never that great. The biggest benefit of the arcane/tarot sidequests is to give you something to do while you grind sword/gun/DSC moves.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

KataraniSword posted:

Light and Shadow magic are really the two magic sets that are more or less essential.

I'd even argue against that. They both have techs that give big boosts to your physicals, but you have to sacrifice your mastery to use them. Even with that, none of the fights are that long to begin with, so use them if you think your WP will hold out.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I'll defend the Virgil fight, that one's actually pretty fun to figure out (as long as Riki isn't your first playthrough).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
If you luck out and can get a crown and Double Slash or Air Throw without spending an hour on it, Asellus can sorta carry her own weight early on without the Ashura.

e: At least Emilia gets a bazooka to give her something to do during trickier fights.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 3, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

Our prize is a spectacular shield capable of blocking tons of attacks. Much better than a terrible monster don't you think?

Earth Dragon himself can also drop a Spriggan Suit or Hyperion Bazooka, if you feel like quick-loading for a couple hours.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

KataraniSword posted:

You'd have to find a way to get through the introductory Alkaiser battles in Baccarat with plain Punch and no sparked moves, especially since I'm pretty sure (not 100%, but like 85%) that Alkaiser can only spark his own special skills, anything else has to be managed as Red.

I think he can learn other sword techs as long as he isn't using Ray Sword (which isn't actually that great on it's own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Alkaiser can definitely spark other stuff, in basically every run I end up getting Sliding during the first magisphere fight to use later. It's just that his special abilities are so easy to spark, you're more likely to see them.

I couldn't remember if I had bad luck learning poo poo on boss fights or not during my Red-only run from a few years ago (which is fun as hell, Red's a loving monster [not that kind of Monster]).

• Locked thread