Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Man, I never had this one as a kid. I liked Legend 1 and 2, beat Romancing SaGa 3 (brutal), and loved SaGa Frontier 2. I'm liking that it seems to have monsters, robots, and espers in it, even it they were really wonky in Legend 2.

Lute reminds me of the Poet from RS3. Is he basically the same generic everyman? Not really good or bad at anything?

Is the magic system similar to RS3's? That was okay, but SF2 had the best physical vs. magic balance in almost any RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Einander posted:

At the risk of a minor derail... I'm curious about that last remark. SF2 damage between arts and spells isn't balanced at all. Even if you rush right to endgame damage magic and understand that lower JP = higher spell damage, weapon arts start out equal and only get better, so spells are relegated to support. Absurdly powerful support (Automatic on-death resurrection on everyone all the time!), but support.

Unless you're counting Hybrid Arts as spells, in which case it swings right around in the other direction. :v:

Yes, spells do less damage, but that's what made it balanced in a weird way.

You get WP and JP regeneration each turn in that game, and while you have plenty of powerful physical attacks going all out on them will leave you out of WP in a hurry with no real way to reload. Plus there's the whole weapon durability issue.

JP isn't able to deal the same kind of damage, but it's buoyed by the fact you have a.) lots of ways of boosting JP regeneration, but there's no way to boost WP regeneration b.) some pretty powerful special effects (Hymnal wrecks undead, Incineration :swoon:) c: fantastic support spells (Berserk, on-death resurrection... nothing like RS3's Shadow Servant, but that may be the most busted spell in any game) and yeah, d: Hybrid Arts.

The way it worksed out for me is WP is great for quick and heavy bursts of damage, while JP is great for support and sustained damage output. They both have their pros and cons, I think it works out well.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 3, 2013

• Locked thread