Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bufuman posted:

Fun mechanics fact: DSC can't combo with anything because it's technically considered a combination attack all on its own.

Can the individual moves that comprise it combine to form a combo if used by separate characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, let me make sure I've got this right:

Magic Kingdom is founded on top of a seal to Hell. The guys running the Kingdom knew the seal was going to break, so they enacted a plan to get around the whole "a person can't have the gift for opposing schools of magic" rule by splitting a dude into two separate beings and sending them out to learn the opposite schools of magic. Then after having them WIZARD DUEL each other to the death so that the winner could reabsorb the loser and become the ultimate magician, they send him into Hell to keep the Hell Lord distracted long enough for them to seal Hell back up along with their pawn.

Man, the guys running Magic Kingdom are assholes. ... Still not sure if they're worse than Roufas and Fuse, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

Along with Thyme here we also have Rosemary, the girl with the pink hair, and Uncle Taco the large octopus. No, I don't get it either.

In Japanese, the word for "octopus" is "tako".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Well to t260g's credit Lute is loving useless. Even his scenario specific special ability lets you know just how useless he is.

:psyduck:

Shwqa posted:

Even [Lute's] scenario specific special ability lets you know just how useless he is.

Shwqa posted:

[Lute's] scenario specific special ability

:psyboom:

Count me among the people who played this without ever realizing he even has one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dumb question, I apologize if this has been answered already but... are all these regions on the same planet? This is something I've always been confused about, since between needing space ships to get between regions and the abstract background whenever you're in transit, I've never been sure if each region is a separate planet/world, or if they're all taking place on the same world or what.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It reminds me of the recreation of ACDC Town on the Net in Megaman Battle Network 5.

Let's hope the villain for this scenario isn't :moreevil:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

I find that at the end of the day, as with most Saga games, it's best not to think about it too hard. Joker summoned some random mystic? Cool let's beat the poo poo out of it! Some crazy piece of technology wants to destroy everything? Welp we better stop that before it gets all revved up shouldn't we? At them end of the day it doesn't matter who does what because the doomsday machine, lord of hell, and miscellaneous mystic are all at about the same power level in terms of game play mechanics. Just learn how to suplex everything a bunch of times in quick succession and you can solve all of the world's problems!

Shame they couldn't get a cameo for Sabin from FF6.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

Fuse is waiting to meet Leonard when the bomb goes off that ends up murdering Leonard. Fuse actually finds the person who set the bomb disguised as a janitor, but the assassin is able to escape.

★ACE DETECTIVE★

Raitzeno posted:

Screw that, I wanted to see the Juryrigged Extralogical RB3 Killer: Weaponized Alcoholism & Douchery (J.E.R.K.W.A.D.) system in action.

You and me both. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

So every main character in Saga Frontier gets something that's unique or helpful in their quest. T260G got the form changes, Blue got the region map and all magic, and Emelia had her outfits. What does Lute have?

dude789 posted:

We can move him out of our main party. If you so choose, Lute can complete his quest without participating in a single battle. We're going to drop him for the boss, but he'll be in our final team at endgame. I'm sure he'll do his best to impress us with his mediocrity.

:psypop:

Well played, SaGa Frontier. Well played.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's really strange that we have this minimalist scenario which is basically just, "Go do sidequests until you stumble on the right event flag for the final dungeon," when they apparently had a whole 8th scenario planned out for Fuse that never made it into the final cut. I wonder if they just ran up against time constraints or something before they could implement Fuse and decided, "gently caress it, just put something in there," and we got Lute's story instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

You're too generous, plummeting LP when changing forms is a good indicator of the game hating you.

Yeah, but it's not something that's specific to Riki's quest, so it doesn't count towards the total.

Granted, Riki being forced on you makes it more of a pain in the rear end, but in theory if you felt like using monsters in other characters' scenarios, it would still apply there. (Don't use monsters in other characters' scenarios.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

And just imagine, we still have five more rings to collect! :buddy: :respek: :shepicide:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting; that's two Ring bosses in a row now that have had some kind of time limit imposed on the fight. Is that going to be a recurring theme with Riki's quest? Because if so, then it would be kind of neat in that it calls back to the overall premise of the quest (collect all 8 rings before Margamel's time runs out and the region is destroyed), but somehow I get the feeling that I'm giving the game designers too much credit here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I Love You! posted:

I remember how annoyed I was when a character I had put a lot of time and energy into in the very early game is available to use for a solo quest, and if you pick her, SHE DIES. And she's the only one you can pick who will die. And she only dies IF you pick her, meaning that it specifically "punishes" you for powering up a character so they can cut it on a solo mission.

Yeah, that happened to me, too. This is where I stopped playing SaGa Frontier 2.

Also, wasn't there some kind of functionality that involved the Pocketstation for saving combos or something that we missed out on since Sony decided not to release the Pocketstation outside of Japan?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

You picked a character you liked and were rewarded with a character's dramatic death scene.

... That's a pretty lovely "reward". If I send the character on the mission, and she dies because I played the mission sloppy or didn't prepare properly ahead of time, like in a Fire Emblem game, that's one thing; that's on my head. It sucks, but I can live with that, because I had a fair chance to keep her from dying and I blew it.

But when the character is automatically bumped off because the drat plot demanded it should I send them on that mission, that's bullshit. That's no different than those "passive experiences" in all those JRPGs that you can't stand. When the life and death of the player's characters is taken out of the player's hands, when player agency is removed and a character dies because plot fiat, then the player has every right to get mad at the game, because yes, it is punishing the player for not knowing what would happen ahead of time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, yep, that's it. That's what I remembered it being.

Now, remember way, way, way back in the first update for Riki's quest, back when we first met Mei-Ling?

dude789 posted:

Listen Riki, the world's full of bad people who will take advantage of you. From now on, don't show your ring to just anyone.

Yeah. gently caress Riki's quest forever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Stroth posted:

And that's the greatest gently caress you of all. Once the rings are shown to be evil and you've failed utterly some random NPC solves the whole problem in under five seconds. All of that horrible crap you've played through? Completely pointless.

And now I'm wondering if the guy who wrote Gundam AGE has played Saga Frontier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

A bit later Fuse gets stabbed by Annie

Annie is now one of my favorite characters in the game. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

But other than ripping off that anime, how does the game establish this?

Through subtext.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think the farthest I've ever gotten in this game was the boss of Emelia's quest and the boss of Asellus's quest. Never managed to beat either, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dude789 posted:

Inside we find Blue! We already have a full team even without Cotton, but at this point Blue would probably be more useful than Asellus.

I don't know you.
But you need a ship to wherever you're going, right?
...I suppose. All right.
My name is Fuse. This is Red. What's your name?
I changed my mind.

Or Blue could be a huge jerk and dismiss Red for an entirely petty reason. This one scene is a huge part of Blue's characterization as a jerk.

Guess he doesn't like red.
OUT!

This scene got a huge laugh out of me when I played through this sequence. :allears:

Although in retrospect, Red's initial argument kind of falls flat if you remember that Blue's supposed to have the Region Map to let him circumvent the need for a ship between Regions. Which in turn raises the question of why he's even bothering taking a commercial flight instead.

• Locked thread