Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Asellus' scenario pulls one of the same bullshit moves that Riki's does, but they actually give you a chance to account for it so it never seemed like a big deal to me. Especially not when she can wreck everything in sight because of poo poo she can get easy. Yeah, you don't need it, but by the time anyone else can get it it's just not worth it really.

Also, what's Lute's deal mechanically? Half the time for me he's dead weight, the other half he procs Lifesprinkler and Rosario Impale before anyone else. Or is that going to be saved for his route?

Ayana fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

dude789 posted:

-JP and WP costs actually factor into damage! The more expensive an attack is, the more damage it does. This has the hilarious consequence of spell or weapon masteries actually making your attacks weaker. In general though, it's worth it to keep the mastery if you don't want to mix and match spells in order to keep the higher learning rate.

:aaaaa:

I don't think it's too noticeable - at least I never noticed it. But I learned early on that having no water protection will wreck your poo poo in certain scenarios. And that Harmonium anything is mandatory. Because it protects against Sonic damage, and gently caress sonic damage if I'm not the one dishing it out. I still remember where to go in Shingrow to get a free Harmonium accessory all these years later. I think.

But the defense values being invisible is just such a gigantic gently caress you. Only a few items will tell you outright that they resist certain elements, otherwise you've gotta look it up or figure it out on your own.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

hackbunny posted:

What we really miss is the game's coolest sword

He'll probably pick that up in Asellus' story. For everyone else, it comes so late and you've got so many other options that the cost really isn't worth it.

vvv
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. And he's locked out of abusing it now.

Ayana fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 5, 2014

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
T260G, as much as I love Asellus' quest. Hers was the first quest I played, and the first I beat too.

But right after Blue doing an overview of Mystics, I think we should go the other way first. Besides, a little time away from Overdrive will make the awesomeness of that sword stand out even more. :black101:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

divide by zero posted:

On the subject of Carnage and it's instant kill ability on humans, I think there's an something you can equip that can prevent all instant death attacks, including that. I think it was a Blood Chalice?

I thought the Blood Chalice just protected against LP draining attacks? There's nothing in the Mechanics guide to say, bah.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Oh Riki, you've got one of the biggest "gently caress You"s in a game full of them. :allears:

You can actually assemble a pretty good party in Riki's story. Too bad that you get locked out of so many other things. gently caress his story gating. :argh:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

doing the obvious posted:

Difficulty wise, it's second only to Riki. Unlike him however, the challenge in her scenario is just well-implemented difficulty assuming you know how to play the game. Not just stacking unfair things against you like you constantly have to endure in Riki's scenario.

Yeah, but you can get an awesome thing really easy in the beginning (easy to the point that when I went without it on my last play through I considered it a self handicap not to take it). It can carry you through the first half of her quest all by itself.

Which is of course a mistake. I've hit that wall where I wasn't op anymore and... :downsgun:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

KataraniSword posted:

I'd say the big thing that everyone is speaking in hushed whispers about, that is the "big one" that everyone remembers? Is probably less of a direct kick in the balls than people play it up as, considering that to even get there you've gone through so much worse.

Yeah, but you already went through all of that. And if you fall for the dick move that's preemptive to the Big Dick Move (and isn't in Mospuriburg which totally isn't done loving with you yet because Riki's Quest) the game points and laughs at you for both. :argh:

Ayana fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
You forgot the sneaky 'gently caress You' they hide in Margmel! You see, when Mei-Ling's all "Heyo boss fight incoming!" your natural reaction is to save. And with PSX memory card limits, you're probably only running one or two saves per character. You can't leave Margmel, and the only fight there is Master Ring.

AKA, you'd better have a backup save! And if you don't know about Mei-Ling double crossing you, why wouldn't you save there? (Besides quick save, of course. Quick save was a wonderful thing, except when the power went out! :argh:)

And now onto one of the Best Quests. :allears: With an actual storyline even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

doing the obvious posted:

One thing I like about her balls-out evil ending is that her text changes from her normal pretty in pink to the stock blue that all other mystics have. Nice little attention to detail.

As for Red, I still think the funniest thing about his scenario is that he gets all the top tier characters in the game for free and a good amount of unique sidekicks, too. Solely by virtue of just being awesome. When he could have Riki's character restrictions and still be able to tear things up with extreme prejudice.

I dunno, one top tier character tells him to go gently caress off and another is only temporary. I may just be biased towards those two though. :v:

And the speech bubble thing really is. All the humans talk in white, the mystics in blue, and Asellus being special in her own purple. Which the game makes a point of showing is the color of her blood. And mystics are blue. It's a nice subtle way of confirming that yep, no more human-ness left here!

vvv
Oh yeah, it's great. The funniest part is that it actually makes sense, when you take into account their lovely personality.

Ayana fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread