Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I imagine she didn't appreciate getting thrown in prison over his "death".

So to get back at him being mind controlled and setting her up for murder, she dates the cops that threw her in jail without a trail....

I love this plot. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thwack! posted:

I hope you go to IRPO first, so you can ditch Lute for a really good character in that area.

Nah do IRPO last, so you can do the secret there.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Blue is cold as ice. I have to kill my brother? Okay, not gonna protest. You're a creepy Mystic doctor? Yeah, sure whatevs. Go to haunted old castles? Bitch, I can loving teleport.

Yeah he is wonderful :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hokuto posted:

IRPO is a police agency. Fuse is a low ranking, underpaid beat cop who only gets away with the things he does because IRPO is so critically understaffed that there's nobody there to tell him no.

He is also as crooked as you can get. He sent our hero Emelia to jail without a trail, because he didn't have any proof she did the crime and couldn't even prove that someone died (he lost the body).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

At least half of why Riki's quest is so terrible is because your main character is a monster and if you don't know the monster mechanics inside and out monsters are terrible.

It also just HAPPENED to be where the game designers threw most of their bullshit dungeon and enemy decisions. Not all, by any means, but more than the lummox's share. Finally, it's by far the most linear of the quests, meaning you have to intentionally force yourself into doing sidequests and character grinding.

...also, I thought that it was Ring Lord, not Time Lord, that was the bullshit moment in Riki's quest? :confused: It doesn't help that so many mystics go around calling themselves <Noun> Lord.

Everything about Riki's quest is just "gently caress you player" from the start to the end. I can't think of a single enjoyable moment. I feel like that quest was designed by someone very bitter at life.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I always found the mystic scenario to be pretty meh. It goes so slow and most the characters are dull. T260G on the other only has awesome stuff and characters, so lets do that.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Alkarl posted:

True, but as a result they're much higher maintenance than humans, on top of being stuck with armor that is middling at best. Still stupidly amazing if set up right though.

If you know what you are doing mystic are easy mode for the early and middle game. However at the end game they seem to drag a little.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Holy hell, I would play the ever-living poo poo outta that. That Chef skill was brilliant, and the whole idea is just excellent. Is this just sort of a supercut, or did someone make this as a real (or even just partial) mod to the actual game image?

It seems to be a hacked romancing saga 3 game with Kirby superstar ultra graphics and SF number front and combo system. If it is real that seems like a lot of work, but Japanese nerds have done :psyduck: type mods before.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah t260g is one of most developed scenarios of the game.Probably tied with red. I'm looking forward to seeing all the small stuff I missed.

And I guess the monster scenario is technically well developed, but gently caress playing that scenario.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thwack! posted:

Another one of those small quirks this game I enjoy are how the non-T260G Mecs actually speak like normal human beings; at least compared to T260G who talks like any robot you'd expect.

Well they are at least 2000 years more advanced :v:

And t260g was talking normally in the intro, least I'm pretty sure that is t260g. If that is t260g, that implies some serious damage to the ai.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I love this dialogue. :psylon: BEEP BOOP YOU ARE NOT USEFUL TO ME CONVERSATION TERMINATED

Well to t260g's credit Lute is loving useless. Even his scenario specific special ability lets you know just how useless he is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, have we gotten our full robot explanation yet?

No but they are by far the simplest race to play with. And they got a few tricks that make them absolute murder machines.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

:psyduck:

:psyduck:

:psyboom:

Count me among the people who played this without ever realizing he even has one.

I don't think the game tells you about it. You just have to figure it out in a moment of frustration and desperation. I don't want to spoil it though.

(I got a good giggle out of your post)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I never really found wp to be a problem with robots. There is usually robots spread out through every dungeons so they could recover wp pretty easily. Course that was back in my power gamer days, so my team was usually so overpowered that I could 1 shot anything.

It is pretty hard for me to play this game without resorting to the gold trick or that other glitch. I hope you show that other glitch off in this scenario :getin:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Then Fuse has them arrested for not having a buddy cop license, even though they had a license. He made sure they didn't have a trial.

I fixed this to be more likely something Fuse would do.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome update! I'm a bit surprised your not doing lute last. His story is the final one of the game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hahaha Riki. :unsmigghh:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

When I first played this game as a kid I picked riki as my very first pc. Holy crap trying to learn this game with riki is a nightmare. I would have quit right there if I didn't see my brother playing with blue.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

Be honest, if you did Asellus first would you even come back to do Riki?

I did her second and to this day still haven't beat riki. I have beaten the game with everyone else more than once but gently caress riki forever.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Double Rabite posted:

Am I the only actually like Riki’s quest? I mean as much as I liked any other quest. IMHO Lute’s quest was the worst.

Well riki's story is.... Well completely stupid but servicable. The gameplay is the huge problem for me. It is very non saga frontier. I can't describe it more without spoiling how bad it is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kliff posted:

In a stunning display of using loopholes to better serve you, I think it even works when they're merely blind, too.

I wish there were shades that auto blinded your characters. That would have been perfect.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

dude789 posted:

Hey y'all, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy last week and this week since I'm moving. I should have a lot more time the next few weeks though so hopefully I can get something out for you then. I think it's safe to say that we'll be doing Riki's quest next and then closing out with Asellus's quest followed by Red's.

Huh I wrote some post saying, good luck moving and I can't wait for the next update. Seems it didn't post somehow. Anyways good luck moving and I can't wait for the next update.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

"Good job killing Mondo. Now you have his job."

Uh.

...Well, the ending is lazy, badly written, and explains absolutely nothing while doing even less. But hey, it has Lute in it.

...Well, it fits the theme of this quest, at least.

Anyone who has mondo's job could go power crazy and try to take over the world. They need a moron in charge, while everyone just does there job.....

Well that doesn't make much sense either, but nothing makes sense in Saga Frontier.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Playing a brand new game save with riki makes those machine guns a nightmare! And I died from my LP plummeting and then my weak monster leader geeting machine gunned to death. I could only do a fight or two before running back to the inn when I first played. Unless you have vast knowledge of this incredibly cryptic game, you are gonna die a few times.

Or just cheat the junk dealers and say gently caress it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tanzer is my most hated area in the game. It is just painful and annoying. And they give a useless monster that forces its way into your party. The fact that riki is forced to do it so early is such a slap to the face.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

doing the obvious posted:

I forgot about that, so it's even worse than I remembered.

I'm very quickly remembering why exactly Riki's scenario is more or less 'How to Not do Game Design 101'.

Oh it gets worse :unsmigghh:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yes please do guess on the riki scenario gently caress yous and then ultimate gently caress you. :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Back when I got this game I picked Asellus first, cause she looked the coolest. And despite not understanding jack poo poo about the game mechanics, I eventually stumbled my way through her whole quest. But since I'd jumped right to one of the best ones and really liked her scenario a lot, whenever I tried to pick up someone else I just couldn't get as into it. I vaguely remember wanting to try and get through Riki's quest though, cause the monster gimmick seemed cool. But I think I gave up real early on because I hated Tanzer so much.

I played red first and man it was so cool being a super hero.... Until that one gotcha that I didn't read as a kid. I hit a road block at the park because I didn't understand.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I think the real gently caress you about riki being a monster, is that he is the literally worst monster in the game. He move set is poo poo so you need to hunt moves down. And I'm pretty sure he starts with the lowest hp so you need to change his form more anyone else.

Even lute isn't the worst human.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Lute is probably the worst human.

Even if he is, you don't even need to use lute. Riki is stuck in your team and it is game over if his fluctuating lp ever gets to 0.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

dude789 posted:

This is incorrect. Annie's the one who guides you through Despair. It's the Hide Rune (Koorong sewers to Crystal Caves) where Liza guides you and that's only for a few quest lines.

That is why I never do the rune quest. Tanzer, fei-on, slime, sewers, prison sewers, Annie, and you don't get drunk. It is just way less fun then the cards.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I Love You! posted:

I have one rule regarding party formation in SaGa Frontier:

1.) Always use Lute

That's pretty much it, though my first playthrough I think I also used Mei-Ling in every party because she's so loving good and easy to make use of regardless of what you want her to do.

I'm also going to +1 the idea that Lute needs to be a featured party member in SOMEONE's quest, especially if you go Hog Wild and try to turn him into a superhuman hybrid Gun/Magic/MA/Sword madman.

Mine is
1)always use gen
2) always use t260g

Gen is awesome. And it is easy to make t260g a killing machine earlier game while your humans are weak.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I tried to play SF2. They kept making me chose me between this one boring dude or a disgraced prince. So my choice wage a war against his old kingdom, gain power, builds a capitol, then a final stand in a burning campsite while your lp slowly drains to buy time for the army. Or some dude going in boring dungeons keeping talking about "the egg" but gently caress if they tell you what that is.

Then I got forced to use the boring dude with a team of people I never met.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 23, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Crazyweasel posted:

Don't want to hijack this thread anymore...but for the LP of SF2, I hope the music and the liet motif[is that even the right word?] Get some big attention, especially the variations and excellent arrangements on YouTube. The music probably for a the game together better than the scenarios, haha. I've had the piano variations as top played on my ipod for at least the part 7 years.

Meh I don't think SF2 talk is any worse than "riki sucks but don't worry the other 2 scenarios are way better". But to be fair the other 2 scenarios are way better.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So what riki has ruined 2-3 lives in his attempt to save his tribe? And his tribe is only like 8 monsters.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

It had a considerable amount of charm. And a whole shitload of flaws.

This is the review of every saga game ever.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Well, if we're closing in on the endgame so quickly, perhaps I could open up a discussion about how to best build up Riki's party?

Basically riki, gen, t260g, and the two mystics.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I barely remember anything about this game other than scattered parts that made a huge impression on me (particularly the final fight of the robot's scenario which was pretty cool, stuff from Red's scenario which was pretty good, a few scenes from Aseullus's scenario which made a strong emotional impression on me),

I don't think I even found Lute's final dungeon. And I'm fairly sure I came to a screeching halt in Riki's scenario, in the part I think we're about to get to.

I would recommend the game order: Blue, Red, T260G, and the Aseulles. Everyone else is pretty meh, but has their moments (excluding riki :argh:). If they had just focused on those characters and kept lute's adventure to end the story, this game would have been much better.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Wow. I called Mei-Ling screwing you over - a real game-play gently caress you.

I'd not only say the 'we can move' is a gently caress you, but also having the wish going on to remove all the Lummox with no prior indication that it would act like the genie in wishmaster is another gently caress you moment as it made Riki's quest actively harmful to his people.

And lets not forget the couple of lives ruined by riki along the way. :v:

Seriously lummox are the dumbest loving race. Your home is about to explode, do you

A) get out of there before you all die. Seriously spaceship rides are $10 for a group of people in this universe.
Or
B) send one of your own out on a dangerous mission to find out if the rumors of magical relics that grant wishes is true. Sit around waiting to die. And then poorly choose your words of that wish, so that your entire race dies anyways. This also draws the attention of evil powers that are also after the rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Do your characters start higher up or is just the Encounter Rank higher? Asellus seems ridiculously squishy.

Asellus starts out probably the squishiest character. Maybe riki is weaker. However is probably the 2nd strongest character in the entire game. With uber blue being the strongest.

• Locked thread