Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Saga Frontier is such a deeply weird game. It's flawed as hell, like how incredibly easy it is to get stuck, and how all the characters sharing the same world means you go through the same areas over and over, but something about it is strangely compelling. I was obsessed with it for a while there. I'm interested to see an indepth explanation of the mechanics, since I always did a whole lot of slamming whatever worked at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Dareon posted:

That's not saying all that much, there is really only one chapter that's NOT weird.

Something about the sparseness of dialogue makes it even weirder. You have very little to go on, and it's in between long stretches of just running around and fighting monsters. You end up in a kind of trance, waiting for that little light bulb to show up and hit you right in the Pavlov. Then there's the people in the towns that you go to over and over, and the RPG rule to talk to everyone is embedded so far in my brain that I talked to that one boar in Koorong who says city life is making his fur luxurious like twenty times.

I have a strange relationship with this game.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

The dialogue makes way more sense if you think of it as somebody's bare-bones notes that were supposed to be fleshed out later.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

I love that boar. All the other ones try to kill you, but he's just out living the high life.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

I am absolutely loving the idea of your travel agent refusing to book you a plane somewhere because it's full of ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

That is a weirdly aggressive name for such a chill song.

• Locked thread