Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

thelazyblank posted:

Okay, so I'm currently playing in a Leverage PbP game and am thinking I may want to run one myself soon for my weekly Fate group. The problem is, heist games seem to devolve into giant boring planning sessions and these cause me some level of frustration. I don't want people to think like they have to plan everything all the time which seems hard to do except in an aggressive "stop it!" manner. Are there more subtle things I can do? Can any of these transfer to the player side?

Get a copy of the Leverage rules. Seriously. It's designed for running heists on very low planning. And with allowing you to spend the plot points to establish flashback scenes when things do go wrong. And the villain construction in the Leverage RPG is genius.

And if your Fate group questions the Leverage rules tell them that MWP basically subcontracted Evil Hat to write them. Seriously.

Project L Conceptual Design Leads:
Cam Banks and Rob Donoghue

LEVERAGE RPG Design and Development:
Cam Banks, Rob Donoghue, Fred Hicks, Ryan Macklin, Clark Valentine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gau posted:

The Firefly RPG is apparently over half off for Tabletop Day or something. I'm tossing around the idea of picking it up, can anyone tell me if it's worth it beyond OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD SHOW THAT RAN FOR THIRTEEN EPISODES AND A MOVIE? The description promises a lot.

That's not half off. That's a Drivethru RPG special - the $49.99 is the price of the printed book.

And having run a short campaign of it, it's like Smallville - an excellent game, and one you should probably break away from the default setting unless you happen to really like Firefly. My description of it on RPG.net was that "Firefly is about a semi-competent team that fails entertainingly along the way to success and works through their challenges while being fish out of water." And it's the best game I have ever played at creating a sense of madcap insanity from failures and partial successes. Think Police Academy or Farscape for the sort of game it does really well, and much better than any other system I've ever tried.

And ships in play aren't characters so much as character overlays. When a PC acts using a ship as a ship you replace the PC's physical/mental/social with the ship's hull/engines/systems and use the PC's skill.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Alright so I'm really interested in Cortex+ but I want to learn more about it before I buy any books. Why hasn't Cortex+ been a runaway popular success like Fate or *World? What does it have to offer over those systems?

The parts already mentioned are true (it isn't doing badly despite a bad fan license). What's being missed is the business side of MWP - which isn't the worst publisher in the industry (and won't be as long as Palladium is around), but is pretty terrible. They've a reputation for treating their freelancers badly, and they've got serious issues with publishers and printing to the point that they have failed to publish books and I don't know a single publishing deadline they've kept. (There might have been a few round MHRP). I don't know what they are doing or not doing with their publisher but they need to change it.

As for what it offers, Cortex+ Action (Leverage, Firefly) is Fate's stepbrother - as in Cam Banks subcontracted almost all of Evil Hat and it shows. Cortex+ is swingier than Fate (so is ... just about everything else) and Firefly is perfect for something like Police Academy with a team of misfits with weird skills that are going to roll half catastropically forward. Marvel Heroic is pretty much the system for play that ends up looking like a comic book and if you want to run heists you want to own Leverage at the very least. If you like rolling lots of dice and like mechanics that really match the fiction they emulate, Cortex+ is great.

• Locked thread