Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Mostly because the books never actually give you any advice on how to make your own characters beyond the random character generator, and even then it isn't that good at explaining what the various SFX and limits represent fictionally. If there's one thing I hope they do better if/when they make a generic version, it's that.

Yeah, this is definitely something I would've wanted from MHR. It didn't have to be extremely in-depth, but some ideas as to how to do character creation from scratch. I know I had a few frustrated moments with the game, as random PbP GMs would decide somewhat arbitrarily who would be the high-powered, low-powered, etc in a group, and how that doesn't work so well when there's no solid reasoning on either side.

Yalborap posted:

awesome character sheet

More! More! That actually looks like it'd be a lot of fun. Then again, I always thought Leverage could be a lot of fun if you could get 6 people in the same place for a longer campaign. If you stepped away from the heist theme more, or replaced it with more Saints Row-style robberies, the need to have a good number of people could probably go down easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Did anyone ever make a power index of which characters have what powers? I think something like that could make it easier to visualize what the different power levels are. A discussion as to -how- they made some of the characters would also be nice.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

So, for those involved in the Cortex Plus Hacking Guide Kickstarter, we've just recently got a bunch of goodies due to the lateness of the physical books. Is there anything worth trying to buy hardcopies of? I'm thinking the new Firefly game, but I've already got hardcopies of all the books that I think they're allowed to sell. What books are still available?

On another note, as someone who hasn't gotten to play Leverage for anything more than a one-shot, does having less than 5 people become a noticeable problem? Is it the kind of good problem that ends well (people get more creative, double-up on secondaries, etc) or does it just end up a mess?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Okay, so I'm currently playing in a Leverage PbP game and am thinking I may want to run one myself soon for my weekly Fate group. The problem is, heist games seem to devolve into giant boring planning sessions and these cause me some level of frustration. I don't want people to think like they have to plan everything all the time which seems hard to do except in an aggressive "stop it!" manner. Are there more subtle things I can do? Can any of these transfer to the player side?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alright, I've gotten that far, although re-reading with more of a game-running perspective may help. I like the rules, but I'm worried I'll have a hard time getting past the basics with the group.

I was more worried about once the game is in session. Is a lot of keeping things fast and flowing just player and GM buy-in, or are there some tricks out there that might help out? Should I be too concerned about the exact mechanics or is it better to just roll with things in terms of dice and dice pools?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Update! After getting the hardcopy of the Hacker's Guide, I thought about what settings would be fun for Cortex Plus. I decided I'd run something with the Shadowrun setting, but without the Shadowrun rules. Since I'm currently in a Fate heist game with some of the others, however, I decided against running it as straight shadowrunners. This gave me a number of action ideas (Lone Star, Internal Troubleshooting Squad for some corp, new gang in town, DocWagon), I also came up with a potentially more ridiculous game that could still be a lot of fun: Running a game of Corp executives, all working for the same corp, trying to navigate through the Shadowrun world using Drama instead of Action. As I think more and more about it, I'm coming up with some unique issues.

Mainly, that people don't tend to die in either of those games. Not that I want to make a bloody mess, but I want there to be some chance of character loss because it seems to fit in-setting. I was thinking of dragging the Trauma system over as well, but I'm not sure how it would work with Action or Drama. Especially Action, since there's no real stress tracks over on that side. Would I have to make major changes, or are those systems flexible enough that it'd be a minor change in terms of exchanges and getting Taken Out?

Some secondary ones are how I should deal with magic, cyberware, bioware and the need for money. Should I limit it in some way to only certain sections of the character, or just let people go hog-wild? Since Cortex generally avoids money, is there some abstractions to use that would make sense to handle money and items without having to actually track money and items?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I got the PDF for free for preordering, and here's what I can tell so far:

It uses a combination of all three Cortex Pluses to make the game. The basic Attributes are like the Affiliation dice from MHR, and are very broad (Physical, Mental, Social). The distinctions have a combination of the Action/Heroic's d8 or d4+PP, but have triggers like Drama's distinctions. The skills are kinda like the old Serenity list, but brought down in number and skill specialties just adds another die to the pool. Signature Assets from Action have also been brought over. Ships are basically characters with slightly different generation, but also get distinctions and signature assets.

There's also at least one new thing, the Big drat Hero dice, which can be saved up from certain situations at a certain die type to use later. Spend 1pp to both roll the die and add it to the total, and it can be used after the initial roll. Probably the only truly unique thing about this Cortex Plus game. Which is fine, because it mixes up a lot of the parts of the other Cortex Plus games that I like.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

The easiest way I could see is something involving the gang-up rules being used in weird ways. Have each "member" of the mob be one of the gimmick-y targets/unlocks/etc, and as the hero dispatches them, remove them from the dice pool. Alternatively, make the boss have different character sheets for each phase.

I've been working on a way to move stress over to Action conceptually, which would help as well. I'm trying (and failing) to do more than staple Heroic stress onto the side of Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alright, so, if any of my players are secret goons, STOP READING HERE.

I'm running an online Roll20 game of Firefly in the Verse proper, and I've got some questions/wan to talk some ideas through to make sure that I have some idea of what's going on. I've never run a full session of any Cortex Plus game, but I've both played and ran short-lived Cortex Plus games, and am even in a current great Marvel game. The mechanics aren't what I'm the most worried about right now, as much as I'm not sure how much I should plan out ahead of time. I've read most of the relevant sections of the book, but I always feel like I might be missing something important.

The book suggests that I should put them in a middle of a job, which sounds like a good idea on paper but in practice, I can't think of anything that basically breaks down to "this job was supposed to be easy, but things are more complicated than they seem" without feeling like it'll mess with the players in a serious way and/or will lead to them doing "nuh-uh, I wanna do something else". Should I worry about this? Should I ask them what job they'd be doing?

How balanced are the NPCs in the example adventure from the PDF? What about the suggestions from the GMC section? I know that Cortex Plus isn't as concerned with high levels of balance, and Firefly especially has a lot of dice-based nonsense that will happen no matter how much I balance things, but I want to have some idea as to the power level of the gMCs I throw at them.

Finally, I'm looking at the example adventure for conceptual help, even if the reasons and etc are more focused on the party. Still, a basic There Are rear end in a top hat Criminals Who Are Terrible, Make Them Go Away Or Whatever story seems relative easy and fun to set up and run. What are the good parts of the example adventure? What are the bad parts?

• Locked thread