Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Peewi posted:

Oh hey, this game got greenlit for Steam. The demo I tried of it a while ago seemed pretty good, though I was a little overwhelmed by the magic system.
:toot:

quote:

Playing as the warrior character seemed significantly easier than playing as the monk character, even when unequipping the sword. Is that also the case in the full game?
In many ways, yes. Reina (the monk) is about as strong as Wyatt but the strengths she has require more efficient use of her spells and assists to take advantage of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I completely disagree, but maybe I'm off base. Reina seems stronger to me from the get-go due to her starting accessory.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I killed Gernot at the same time he killed me and the game crashed. :v:

e: Also is there a way to avoid his black hole of death, or do you just need enough HP to survive it.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 19, 2013

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Peewi posted:

Playing as the warrior character seemed significantly easier than playing as the monk character, even when unequipping the sword. Is that also the case in the full game?

In my limited experience (hard difficulty, no stat or skill points spent, 'S'ing all bosses through the gardens) the warrior, although significantly easier to play than the monk, isn't nearly as powerful.

If you start the game with a certain level of system mastery Reina is far and away better.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I made the mistake of using a wireless logitech controller in X(box) mode. I might try switching to direct input mode and saving the relevant key bindings, and see if that also gets rid of a lot of the weird control issues I'm having... that or switching to keyboard only. I'm hoping that will fix the controls and enable me to progress again.

On a related note, how the hell am I supposed to skill cancel/air stomp/button push? I can do it maybe one out of twenty tries (like magic, I expect it is being affected by weird xbox 360 input not releasing keys), but never when I'm expecting to, and I just cannot reach or find the first save point because I cannot progress any further.

The game controls don't mention skill cancel, there isn't a readme, and no user tutorial that I can find on the official forums. I'll experiment again once I resolve my control issues/give up on gamepads, but I would love to take out some of the guesswork.

I'm getting some weird crashes too (on two machines), so I'm going to have to avoid fullscreen for now.

The developer's website is poorly organized, and their forum seems... anemic. Am I missing a support area somewhere or something that would help me get off the ground?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LordSloth posted:

On a related note, how the hell am I supposed to skill cancel/air stomp/button push? I can do it maybe one out of twenty tries (like magic, I expect it is being affected by weird xbox 360 input not releasing keys), but never when I'm expecting to, and I just cannot reach or find the first save point because I cannot progress any further.

Yeah, definitely one of your control issues. Cancelling just involves flicking the stick downwards. On its own it just makes you invulnerable for about a second, but if you push either left or right during that second you'll dash in that direction. Doing it in midair will do a stomp.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Thanks for the clarification on the cancel, works perfectly fine now.

I have three theories on the whole screwed up control scheme, one of them is so stupid and easy to reproduce I'll throw it out for the one or two others who mentioned this to test:
The game loads so slow that you accidentally ran two or more copies. Immediately after loading a save, you'll either make a noise with the second character, or upon using the upslot spell you'll get into a cycle of casting if you hold down RT.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least your pad works. The game doesn't detect mine at all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has there been any updates on when the Steam release will happen? I'm not very far in since killing the second boss CTDs me every time, so I'm just gonna start over once it launches on Steam.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Has there been any updates on when the Steam release will happen? I'm not very far in since killing the second boss CTDs me every time, so I'm just gonna start over once it launches on Steam.

Their last blog post was something along the lines of "we'll have a steam release date and a list of new additions shortly."

http://endlessfluff.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/valdis-story-a-c-green-lit/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So do higher difficulties give enemies more moves? I'm playing on Hard and I don't remember the fire mage guys and the boss of the fire temple having that explosive attack that builds up every time you hit them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Genocyber posted:

So do higher difficulties give enemies more moves? I'm playing on Hard and I don't remember the fire mage guys and the boss of the fire temple having that explosive attack that builds up every time you hit them.

Were you using your ice enchantment more last playthrough? :ssh:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
This game is rear end-beatingly hard :stare:

Edit - whoever thought it was a grand idea to build intricate platforming sections that dump you into a screen full of enemies every time you screw up into a game with such terribly clunky/floaty/loose controls can suck all the dicks in the world :suicide:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

This game is rear end-beatingly hard :stare:

Edit - whoever thought it was a grand idea to build intricate platforming sections that dump you into a screen full of enemies every time you screw up into a game with such terribly clunky/floaty/loose controls can suck all the dicks in the world :suicide:

You playing the demo? Cause I felt the controls were awful in the demo but really good in the full game.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Nope playing the full game with a 360 controller. Not sure what it is about the controls that feels wrong, it's just off in some awful way compared to other platformers. I'm pretty surprised the controller still works after the guardian temple sections :argh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The game is out on Steam today, check https://www.desura.com/collection for your key.

Also, does anyone know what 1.0.0.20 changes vs 1.0.0.19 besides from Steam integration, if anything?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 30, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The game is out on Steam today, check https://www.desura.com/collection for your key.

Also, does anyone know what 1.0.0.20 changes vs 1.0.0.19 besides from Steam integration, if anything?

Oh cool :toot: New version is probably just steam achievements judging by the version number, but I know they're working on a couple things that will probably show up soon in 1.0.1.

e: Looking at the achievements, Goibnu Mode is in, and it's a score attack type of thing.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 30, 2013

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just bought this game and a logitech gamepad. Looks very similar to Muramasa.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I've got five keys for this from the developers. Here's two:

-Both taken-

Don't want them all to get sniped so PM me or post some form of contact information (email, steam, etc) here for one of the others.

e: All gone.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 31, 2013

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

RCMPT-LCLZZ-EYFYT

Don't want them all to get sniped so PM me or post some form of contact information (email, steam, etc) here for one of the others.

Snagged this one, which is a first for me. :v:

Thanks for the post! Love me some metroidvania goodness.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The first code has also been taken, just in case people were wondering before trying, (I just tried it).

Been trying the demo, I saw someone say the controls are improved in the actual game over the Demo, how true is this?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WirelessPillow posted:

The first code has also been taken, just in case people were wondering before trying, (I just tried it).

Been trying the demo, I saw someone say the controls are improved in the actual game over the Demo, how true is this?

It's better but I still find it stilted and weird compared to say rogue legacy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
No keys left :v:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the key! Can't wait to try the game when I get home.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm trying the demo and it's not recognizing my controller. I have a playstation 2 controller going through a USB port, and have x360ce in that folder, no dice.

Any idea how I fix this?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
If I buy this from their site do I still get a Steam key? or do I only get DRM free copy?

Edit: I went ahead and tested it myself, its via humble Store so you get a DRM free and a Steam key.

WirelessPillow fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Fun game. I just beat it with Wyatt; I started playing as Reina, but the first boss is giving me trouble. Her base healing spell seems significantly less effective.

Also, what do I do with the two eyes I got from defeating the goddesses' avatars? Speaking of, I didn't find the item that's supposed to make those fights winnable until after I beat them. :D They're both really easy to lock in a loop. Took a long time, but they weren't that hard.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
The bow and dagger weapon on Wyatt is so much fun. Any easy way to get lots of Greater Demon Souls? I need to upgrade this thing. Also, I just beat the fire guy that you get the fire punch ability from, but I'm not really sure where to go now.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Is there any quick way to switch magic? It's real annoying having to go to the menu every single time I want to use a different spell.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Tykero posted:

The bow and dagger weapon on Wyatt is so much fun. Any easy way to get lots of Greater Demon Souls? I need to upgrade this thing. Also, I just beat the fire guy that you get the fire punch ability from, but I'm not really sure where to go now.

Look around for weak walls to break. There's one in the sewers that will get you a new key.

And speaking of that key, after you have the Angel Key are you supposed to do the Hallows or the Engineer's Palace? I ran into spots in both of them where it looked like I needed a movement ability I didn't have. Of course, I only really looked at the side magic from fire, so one of those might be it.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Noper Q posted:

Fun game. I just beat it with Wyatt; I started playing as Reina, but the first boss is giving me trouble. Her base healing spell seems significantly less effective.

Also, what do I do with the two eyes I got from defeating the goddesses' avatars? Speaking of, I didn't find the item that's supposed to make those fights winnable until after I beat them. :D They're both really easy to lock in a loop. Took a long time, but they weren't that hard.

The items you got from the optional bosses unlock cut scenes during the credits.

Tykero posted:

Kill a bunch of demon ogres, the big ones with the ball and chain. Demon warlocks and witches drop them too, but they're harder to fight for me. As for the fire punch, go to the sewers east of Ishkk or west of Hagrum. It's closest to Hagrum, but there's also a block of ice near the Ishkk side.

Tricky posted:

Look around for weak walls to break. There's one in the sewers that will get you a new key.

And speaking of that key, after you have the Angel Key are you supposed to do the Hallows or the Engineer's Palace? I ran into spots in both of them where it looked like I needed a movement ability I didn't have. Of course, I only really looked at the side magic from fire, so one of those might be it.

Definitely to the Engineer's Palace.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The Engineer's Palace is by far the worst thing so far. The physics is basically balls for platforming to begin with, then you add in precision wall jumping (naturally, with blocks just the size to grab/climb into hazards half of the time) with tight time limits and wall hazards. And then my game crashed right after the mid-boss. gently caress it.

So yeah. Enjoyable game up until then, but I'm out.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
There's a chest in the engineers palace behind one of those laser walls that never turns off. How do I get it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tykero posted:

There's a chest in the engineers palace behind one of those laser walls that never turns off. How do I get it?

Requires the last spell soul.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Tricky posted:

The Engineer's Palace is by far the worst thing so far. The physics is basically balls for platforming to begin with, then you add in precision wall jumping (naturally, with blocks just the size to grab/climb into hazards half of the time) with tight time limits and wall hazards. And then my game crashed right after the mid-boss. gently caress it.

So yeah. Enjoyable game up until then, but I'm out.

I was having a ton of trouble with that right up until I figured out the trick: when you're hanging on a ledge, pressing jump will pull yourself up, pressing down will cause you to drop, and pressing the direction away from the wall will cause you to jump away from the wall.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm having the same problems. I feel like the ledge grabbing and wall jumping mechanics being different buttons but having them so closely related in platforming challenges is a bad idea.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Kieyen posted:

The items you got from the optional bosses unlock cut scenes during the credits.

Ah, that makes sense. I was hoping for some super upgrade or something, since I never found two of the armors. Thanks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I would like a Metroidvania but when people discuss how good the recent crop are, they don't usually address the things I like about the genre. I don't care about in-depth combat systems and I don't care about difficult jumping puzzles. All I care about is, does it have that dreary, dark feeling of danger running all through it, and those moments when you pass something and are like what the hell is that? But after you get some movement-enhancing powerup later and come back, it all makes sense and you see the environment in a whole new light.

So, does this game have that stuff?

edit: I guess what I'm saying is, Guacamelee didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't dark, it wasn't dreary, I didn't feel like I had any danger to look forward to other than another group of enemies to beat up or some ridiculous jumping puzzle, and every movement-ability-requiring barrier was immediately obvious what kind of powerup I was going to get to get past it. And save points were extremely frequent so there was no sense of tension there either. There was no mystery or sense of exploration in it at all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 4, 2013

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
No, this game cannot be described as dark or dreary at all, and only the bosses provide any sense of danger. This game is very high fantasy/anime, so it doesn't sound like you'll find what you want here. It isn't quite the "come back here when you have the blue-colored movement ability," but most barriers are pretty obvious. This game is about the combat; the exploration is mostly a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would like a Metroidvania but when people discuss how good the recent crop are, they don't usually address the things I like about the genre. I don't care about in-depth combat systems and I don't care about difficult jumping puzzles. All I care about is, does it have that dreary, dark feeling of danger running all through it, and those moments when you pass something and are like what the hell is that? But after you get some movement-enhancing powerup later and come back, it all makes sense and you see the environment in a whole new light.

So, does this game have that stuff?

edit: I guess what I'm saying is, Guacamelee didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't dark, it wasn't dreary, I didn't feel like I had any danger to look forward to other than another group of enemies to beat up or some ridiculous jumping puzzle, and every movement-ability-requiring barrier was immediately obvious what kind of powerup I was going to get to get past it. And save points were extremely frequent so there was no sense of tension there either. There was no mystery or sense of exploration in it at all.

Sadly, the only way you're going to find that is if you find the portions of your brain that remember Super Metroid and every Castlevania past SotN and take an ice pick to them.

• Locked thread