Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Turns out I missed the last few scenes in the episode. I was reading a recap and going "Wait - what?" I shut the TV off just a bit too soon. I didn't realize Kai had actually won the merge.

Luke :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I spent today on the couch and watched last season's Vampire Diaries finale and all episodes of this season to date. Wow. What a ride - feels good to be caught up.

I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed waiting week by week for Elena to make up her mind about Damon, so watching it over the course of about 9 hours made it much easier to handle. That said - I loved the scene where Damon and Elena are caught in the rain and she asks him to promise their relationship is forever. It's like, despite the big bad bullshit they have to deal with on a weekly basis, there's these off screen moments of happiness the characters get to enjoy. I wish we could see more of that than Kai and Enzo and some bullshit about Gemini twins dueling magical deaths or something.

That said - now that I'm caught up it's going to be a long back-half of the season.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Why is Enzo even on this show. Why. He does absolutely nothing and his subplot is boring and his character, if you can call it that, is an excruciatingly dull cipher with an accent.

Seriously, it's like the producers remembered how much fun Damon was back in S1 when he was the villain and wanted to have another one of those, while forgetting that what made Damon work as a character was his deeply personal, love-hate relationship with the show's ostensible hero. Enzo is...who exactly?

I had to vent because apart from that guy I have really been digging this season. I'm pretty excited about the Bonnie rear end-kicking they seem to be setting up here.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Really, Tyler? Showing up drunk at Caroline's mother's funeral? Because of girl issues? I know that we're supposed to believe that they're still in teenagers, but come on. On the plus side, Matt continues to be awesome.

I have such a love hate relationship with this show, on the one hand the plot can be oh so dumb and all the characters seem to have short term memory lost. Yet on the other hand they make characters like Matt and Caroline... and making me absolutely love that Bonnie and Damon scene? How did that happen?

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Kitiara posted:

I have such a love hate relationship with this show

I haven't watched the episode yet, so I can't comment on that, but I find myself more interested in and looking forward to The Originals these days. The first season started out so slowly and was so boring (to me, at least), but they've really brought their A game this year. I miss Claire Holt but new Rebekah has been channeling her and has me convinced it's still Rebekah.

TVD meanwhile can't seem to find its footing, they've somehow managed to make Caroline boring (and even more boring with Stefan), and they're wasting Kai and Ric. It's just not great anymore. It's okay. But it's not even close to what it used to be, and that's depressing, because I still care about the characters and want them to be interesting.

Back to TO: Does anyone know if Daniel Sharman is actually leaving the show? I love him as Kol and don't want to lose another actor I've grown attached to - Claire was enough

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ughhh I haven't caught up to the Originals yet but he better not be gone for long.

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!
Major casting news for next season in regards to the Vampire Diaries:

Nina Dobrev is leaving the show too at the conclusion of this season

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

MaC_DaDDy posted:

Major casting news for next season in regards to the Vampire Diaries:

Nina Dobrev is leaving the show too at the conclusion of this season

Came here to post this, too. Article under spoiler tags: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/06/nina-dobrev-leaving-the-vampire-diaries

It will be interesting to see how this goes down. Isn't Elena technically the main character in the show? The show started as "girl torn between vampire brothers". Someone who isn't scared of Timblr should check and post the shippers reactions. I always liked the character of Elena in the first handful of seasons but somewhere along the way it's like they forgot how to write her.

I find her claim of, "I always saw Elena's arc as being six seasons..." odd. It seems like more is at play here.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I can't imagine the Vampire Diaries continuing without Elena. Could they do that terrible body swap crap from The Originals (Where they've replaced Rebecca because she doesn't want to play the character anymore?).

Speaking of The Originals, what do you guys think of it? Klaus is still insufferable, but I'm enjoying it more than the Vamp Diaries now.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The Originals has been better than Vampire Diaries pretty much from the time it started.

I can see why Nina Dobrev left. Her character went from being the center piece, and moral compass of the show, to this one-note I-love-Damon robot that possessed none of her human characteristics, and has been a side character the entire season.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

TyrantWD posted:

The Originals has been better than Vampire Diaries pretty much from the time it started.

I can see why Nina Dobrev left. Her character went from being the center piece, and moral compass of the show, to this one-note I-love-Damon robot that possessed none of her human characteristics, and has been a side character the entire season.

Yeah once she turned the character was pretty much ruined. I also don't think the breakup with Ian and his subsequent engagement to Nikki Reed (who is always around, apparently) hurt her decision either. This is why people on the same show shouldn't date. Show ruiners! :argh:

Since she was really the backbone of the show and Caroline is annoying as gently caress now, I don't know if I'm going to want to watch after the conclusion of the season. I'll probably give the first couple of episodes of season 7 a chance before I make a judgment.

I guess we know what call Damon is making with the cure. Elena is going to take it and go find Jeremy. Or maybe they'll be ballsy and kill her. I'd like that. :unsmigghh:

At least The Originals is still good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

After watching shows like The Flash and Arrow watching TVD has a painfully slow moving plot. They have been hinting a lot at Bonnie being in love with Damon and if they go that route then :barf: I'll probably be done with the show at that point.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So we have MAGICVAMPIRES as well now. Eh. Caroline and Stefan being evil could've been better, but it was just dull and a complete 180 from last time. The singing was okay though.

So I'm guessing Kai is going to help defeat these guys and reconcile with Bonnie? Liv and the mother will probably die as well?

Oh and Elena's getting preggers and leaving by the end of the season by the looks of it. Probably glamoured off to live in Hawaii.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Andrew_1985 posted:

The singing was okay though.

I'm actually getting really tired of Caroline singing. I get she has a really nice voice but I wish they'd stop jamming it in there. I guess she's my Beth.

I was really hoping Stefan was going to put a stake through Mommie Dearest's heart and stay humanity-less. Oh well. Back to boring old Stefan. Back to boring old TVD.

The Originals, however, has been absolutely superb. I'm really excited to see how the Dahlia thing plays out.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Accidentally posted in the Star Wars CineD thread... what is this about singing? Was there a TVD musical ep?

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

hope and vaseline posted:

Accidentally posted in the Star Wars CineD thread... what is this about singing? Was there a TVD musical ep?

Caroline sang a song. Again.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Anyone has a link to last season's thread? I'm catching up and I like to read along, but I can't find it in the archives.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

ShadowGlass posted:

Anyone has a link to last season's thread? I'm catching up and I like to read along, but I can't find it in the archives.

You are actually in the thread... a new one wasn't made for Season 6. Season 5 would be on page 1 :)

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

That finale though...oh god. 😩

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I thought I was done with this show but I'm wondering whether the finale is worth catching up on the back half of the season?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Goodbye Elena. Eh.

So next season is some sort of vampireish apocalyptic flashforward thanks to the WitchVamps?

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse to be loved by Alaric...

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

rainbow kittens posted:

Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse to be loved by Alaric...

The worst thing is that nobody, except Alaric, gave a poo poo. Jo may still be not properly buried, for all we know.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Violence erupts at wedding, including killing the babies, and no one gets a happy ending. I've seen this.

Honestly, it's a 'drama' for teens and people who don't want to think too hard. Would it be too difficult to let Elena drive off into the sunset in a convertible? Why the horribly depressing end for her character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

PiedPiper posted:

The worst thing is that nobody, except Alaric, gave a poo poo. Jo may still be not properly buried, for all we know.

Alaric's car is going to need a thorough cleaning.

• Locked thread