Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Klaus should transfer his mind into Marcel, find out what the gently caress is going on and then chain himself up in the open before transferring back and watching Marcel roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Midnight City posted:

Did they power him down though? I can't even remember what flimsy excuse they gave for Klaus not just murdering the gently caress out of Marcel? Did they even give one, or just get tired of coming up with them and stopped bothering?

Klaus basically wants to retain Marcel's power structure by weakening Marcel's position and ultimately getting rid of him so he and his family can step back into the rightful place as the vampire royalty of NOLA. If he brute forces his way back in, that would end in pure chaos for everyone. They've repeatedly established that Klaus is one lonely fucker; hence his need for a makeshift hybrid family compelled to be loyal to him. With that route effectively gone, this is the next best thing available to him (Please nobody tell him Katherine is human again)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

hope and vaseline posted:

Klaus basically wants to retain Marcel's power structure by weakening Marcel's position and ultimately getting rid of him so he and his family can step back into the rightful place as the vampire royalty of NOLA. If he brute forces his way back in, that would end in pure chaos for everyone. They've repeatedly established that Klaus is one lonely fucker; hence his need for a makeshift hybrid family compelled to be loyal to him. With that route effectively gone, this is the next best thing available to him (Please nobody tell him Katherine is human again)

All of this would happen if he just murdered Marcel straight up though. No other vampire stands a chance against him, an entire army of Marcel's vampires wouldn't stand a chance (he was murdering groups of his own hybrids for crying out loud). Kill Marcel, what are the other vampires going to do about it but fall in line?

Okay, he wants to know Marcel's power structure...so bleed Marcel dry and then compel him for info? There's just no logical reason for any of this to be happening and I can accept it or look past it until they make it the crux of the whole story.

I feel like they need to really power him down or bring Elijah back immediately, to me Klaus isn't a compelling character but he's good for a laugh every time they start to do a redemption arc then just pull the curtain out from under the viewers. I'm not even being sarcastic, it's genuinely funny how they keep doing it and every time you think he might choose Door #2 then nada.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Your assumption's probably correct, but then there wouldn't be much of a show left. At this point you really just have to suspend your disbelief if you're still watching and go with the flow.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Midnight City posted:

Did they power him down though? I can't even remember what flimsy excuse they gave for Klaus not just murdering the gently caress out of Marcel? Did they even give one, or just get tired of coming up with them and stopped bothering?

If I recall correctly, the witches said that he couldn't because there was a specific plan and rules he had to follow or they'd kill his baby. I'm not confident that once the "plan" is fleshed out, if there even ends up being one, it will answer your question clearly, but you could probably just fall back on, "he doesn't want to outright kill him." At the least I wouldn't say it's clear that's what he wants at this point.

Anyway, I thought it was a bit silly that Rebekah was so upset with Klaus at the end there. Wasn't it pretty much agreed by everyone that that witch was going to die anyway? They didn't find out where that other witch is, but what does she care? All she wanted was Elijah back, which Klaus just said was all but accomplished. Plus even if they found the location, they didn't seem to have a plan to get Elijah away from the super witch guarding him. So, if anything Klaus' plan was better for her.

Also, jeez, how dumb is Hayley? Did she really think that sounded like Croatian, Bulgarian, or Belarusian? Even if she didn't really know what Latin sounded like, you'd think it'd be among her first considerations for "possessed witch speech."

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

It feels like there's two writers for the show, first writer gets to write all the dialogue which I really like. I like watching Klaus/Elijah/Rebekah just talk to each other, but then there's some other writer who's writing all the scheming and intrigue and it rarely ever works well with the characters you were just watching talk to each other.

So basically some writer keeps throwing poo poo up into the air, breaks on the floor, another writer picks up the pieces and puts it all back together only to have the other writer come back in and throw it up into the air again. Over and over.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The Originals is starting to hit its stride, at least in my opinion. When the siblings work together it flows better. I like that they're softening out Klaus a bit.

I just can't imagine an entire season dedicated to taking down Marcel. It wouldn't surprise me if the first half of the season focused on this and we then end up with some other Big Bad the rest of the season.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
Who doesn't recognise Latin when they hear/read it? Somehow she manages to get the spelling spot on but can't figure out it's not an eastern european language? Buh.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Didn't the little teenage witch-Davina?- say something big was coming or something like that or was that referring to Katie's showdown with Marcel? Maybe the big bad is coming?

Lucania
May 1, 2009

courtney_beth posted:

The Originals is starting to hit its stride, at least in my opinion. When the siblings work together it flows better. I like that they're softening out Klaus a bit.

That little moment in the beginning when Rebekah throws a knife/dagger at Klaus and he catches it while genuinely smiling was my favorite of the whole episode.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm really curious to see how well Reign does tonight with TVD as its lead in. I might give it a go as well, I watch enough drat CW shows nowadays.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm calling this the Year of Matt. And we get the moment we've all suspected was coming, the original doppelgangers!

I gotta give it to you, kill your idols, you called it.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 18, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really surprised they disabled Silas' mental powers so early on. I'm also super annoyed that the cure still exists. I'm sure we were all suspecting it, but ughh.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

I'm calling this the Year of Matt. And we get the moment we've all suspected was coming, the original doppelgangers!

I gotta give it to you, kill your idols, you called it.

I got a few details right but out of order, I guess. The fact they don't need Stefan to MAKE the cure kinda disappointed me. This whole "I burnt out my mind" plot twist seems kinda lame :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Particularly as its a plot device to get Elena and Stefan to emotionally reconnect to restore his memories, further fueling the Rube Goldberg machine that is the Damon/Elena/Stefan love triangle.

Shakugan posted:

I'm really surprised they disabled Silas' mental powers so early on. I'm also super annoyed that the cure still exists. I'm sure we were all suspecting it, but ughh.

I'm at least somewhat confident they've resolved that Elena has accepted being a vampire and all that entails at this point.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 18, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
The Damon/Elena/Stefan love triangle is nothing more than Silas being a bag of dicks all along. :hist101:

Tonight's episode was pretty good I think. I'm not really a big fan of Bonnie's character; her dialogue puts me to sleep. A Bonnie-less episode is fine by me. Maybe Jeremy and her can fade off into the void for good soon. And what is the deal with this teacher, the roomate that died, and Elena's dad. :witch:

edit: Summary teaser for next week says Dr. Creepo puts some plan into place. My guess, GHB in the beer and panty raids.

Shakugan posted:

I'm also super annoyed that the cure still exists. I'm sure we were all suspecting it, but ughh.

Stefan and Elena, in the end, have to be able to live happy ever after, as humans. :speculate:

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 18, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Oh boy, here we go again with the "will Elena choose Stefan or Damon?" BS. I mean, I guess that's like watching Walking Dead and saying "oh god, here we go with the running from zombies poo poo again", but it still annoys me. I was so SURE they'd wrapped that up last season- she's with Damon, done, finished, okay. Stefan could move on and find someone else or whatever. But nope, here we are again for the millionth time in a row.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I had to laugh at the use of the soap opera classic memory loss plot twist. Also agree that Bonnie and Jeremy are boring. Interesting, I just realized we had no Caroline this episode either.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
As I watched the episode, I was distracted as to where I had seen Janina Gavankar (Tessa) before. She was Luna the shapeshifter on TrueBlood. She was great in the role of the spurned fiance and I'm excited to see how that'll play out.

The will they/ won't they love dodecahedron of doppelgängers and outsiders is really starting to get bothersome and tiring. I was wondering if the end of Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's relationship would play into the plot of Elena going back to Stefan and it seems like we have our answer. Blah blah, Elena/Stefan are meant to be, blah blah. Let's hope they tread this path carefully.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

So if the two doppelgangers are supposed to be together then wouldn't Stefan have fallen madly in love with Katherine? He's never been able to stand her. Granted, there is good reason but it pretty much disproved the 'fated' to be together schtick.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I hope a Silas doppleganger contemporary to Elena shows up out of nowhere

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

KilGrey posted:

So if the two doppelgangers are supposed to be together then wouldn't Stefan have fallen madly in love with Katherine? He's never been able to stand her. Granted, there is good reason but it pretty much disproved the 'fated' to be together schtick.

If the doppelgangers always ended up together wouldn't Klaus have seen a Stefan version by now? The Katherine version can be excused because she got vamp'd and it extended her copy, but Stefan/Katherine didn't meet for hundreds of years after that.

Also the whole point of the doppelgangers is to get around the no one being immortal witch bullshit, but all 3 doppelgangers have been vamp'd which gets around no one being immortal...?

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

I hope a Silas doppleganger contemporary to Elena shows up out of nowhere

This would cause the cast to significantly shrink if we had a show of just Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley playing multiple versions of themselves. It's amazing how great they do variations of characters to make you think they're just more than 1 actor playing the parts. I'd not mind it if a slew of dopplegangers showed up and we watched a season of Which Stefan is Which?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Paul Wesley's not bad at doing an evil Stefan/Silas, but Dobrev just nails the Katherine/Elena distinctions. There's some help from the hair and makeup department but she really infuses the Katherine persona with subtleties in body language and line delivery. Katherine has this kind of permanent glower and way of moving that conveys an amused superiority to everyone she's around, whereas Elena has a kind of wide, doe-eyed look that's able to convey sympathy and understanding.

I really should watch that Orphan Black show huh?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 18, 2013

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Paul Wesley's not bad at doing an evil Stefan/Silas, but Dobrev just nails the Katherine/Elena distinctions. There's some help from the hair and makeup department but she really infuses the Katherine persona with subtleties in body language and line delivery. Katherine has this kind of permanent glower and way of moving that conveys an amused superiority to everyone she's around, whereas Elena has a kind of wide, doe-eyed look that's able to convey sympathy and understanding.

I really should watch that Orphan Black show huh?

Good God yes. While I agree that Dobrev is awesome, Maslany is a master.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
There are times (like last night) that I do not believe that Elena and Katherine are played by the same person.

It's a shame that Nina Dobrev isn't recognized more for her excellent acting skills.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

courtney_beth posted:

I'd not mind it if a slew of dopplegangers showed up and we watched a season of Which Stefan is Which?

They could give the new one an accent...or a lisp??

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

They could give the new one an accent...or a lisp??

I loving loved Meg.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'm enjoying the Originals.

I expect Ketsia will beat Silas and then turn on all the dopplegangers, wanting to wipe them from existence.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

I'm enjoying the Originals.

I expect Ketsia will beat Silas and then turn on all the dopplegangers, wanting to wipe them from existence.

I think Ketsia would work as the S5 villain. I liked her weird, almost self-deprecating sense of humor. It's a lot better than Klaus's "I'm going to murder everything" brand, which got stale pretty quick.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who is enjoying The Originals! When Klaus completely hosed over Marcel's right hand man? Epic. I don't think he plans to kill Marcel? After all, Marcel is like a son to him. Also, they shouldn't kill Marcel. He has reaaally nice abs.

As far as Vampire Diaries goes, I LOVE Quetseya. She's more batshit insane than Katherine, and that's a hard thing to be.

And you know, if she's powerful enough to come back from the Other Side, maybe she can pull some of our favourite characters back from it before she destroys it for good. Namely Alaric and Lexi. And Bonnie, I guess.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm liking The Originals so far as well, because crafty Klaus is way more interesting than murder spree Klaus. I was also really happy about the Rebekah/Hayley bonding, it would be nice to see Rebekah having an actual friendship. I know April was loyal to her last year, but we never saw much of that and also April was loving boring.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

rainbow kittens posted:

And you know, if she's powerful enough to come back from the Other Side, maybe she can pull some of our favourite characters back from it before she destroys it for good. Namely Alaric and Lexi. And Bonnie, I guess.

If Alaric/Lexi staying dead is the price we have to pay for being rid of Bonnie then so be it.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
We will never be rid of Bonnie. Which is a shame because last week's episode was surprisingly good without the Bonnie bullshit.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

deety posted:

I'm liking The Originals so far as well, because crafty Klaus is way more interesting than murder spree Klaus.

I would strongly disagree with that. Murder spree Klaus is the best Klaus. The problem with Klaus in Vampire Diaries was that he was always threatening people with death, but rarely ever followed through. It was just "If you don't do X, I'll kill Y" over and over again until it became redundant. But when he went on the hybrid/Tyler's mom murder spree,it was one of my favorite moments in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YTsnaTOstA

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

What happened to the Original Dad again? I remember they were running from him and I think they still did even after Klaus' curse was lifted, but I can't remember what happened to him or anything he did.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Some voodoo that could permanently kill Klaus was used on the original Dad instead, I vaguely recall. Some double cross?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This is the first Originals ep that I've honestly been enjoying. Klaus and psych student girl have got a pretty good back and forth going on, compulsion notwithstanding. TVD's trademark plot movement and shifting alliances are in full effect, and Hailey even got something to do. I'm still pretty bored with Marcel as a villain, he seems rather ineffectual.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Steve112sms posted:

I would strongly disagree with that. Murder spree Klaus is the best Klaus. The problem with Klaus in Vampire Diaries was that he was always threatening people with death, but rarely ever followed through. It was just "If you don't do X, I'll kill Y" over and over again until it became redundant. But when he went on the hybrid/Tyler's mom murder spree,it was one of my favorite moments in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YTsnaTOstA

The death of Tyler's mother was really effective, but that's the kind of move they can't pull very often. The murder of the hybrids was mostly interesting for what it represented to Klaus, the fact that he'd rather slaughter his replacement family than let them be free of him. And you can't really build a show around Klaus offing half of New Orleans.

Showing Klaus's schemes from his own perspective has made him more interesting to me because in VD we mostly saw those protagonists puzzling out what he's after and why. I loved that scene where Rebekah acted like he'd been sitting around on his rear end while he was really planting that mole in Marcel's operation and getting to Cami. Then he made such a solid appeal to Davina about giving her more freedom, but with his goal so close he pushed too hard and rushed back to typical "obey me or suffer" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I hope I'm not the only one who's taken time out of an episode to count Klaus' moles, last episode I couldn't unsee them and counted 8 just on his neck and face. Hope he's keeping melanoma checkups routine.

This post of viewer cancer awareness brought to you by Andy Whitfield syndrome :argh:

• Locked thread