Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The unironically best thing about TVD is that even if it's a completely worthless storyline it doesn't matter because they'll forget about it entirely within a few episodes.

We're only 8 episodes into the season and they've already dropped it and started up the nazi researcher big bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Midnight City posted:

The unironically best thing about TVD is that even if it's a completely worthless storyline it doesn't matter because they'll forget about it entirely within a few episodes.

We're only 8 episodes into the season and they've already dropped it and started up the nazi researcher big bad.
Two years ago when I started watching, I posted in the thread a quick "can you let me know where we're at right now?", and people lost their minds, oh god you must start at the beginning or you won't get it at all! Honey please.

I am relieved that I basically wasn't meant to understand the Silas storyline, so that's a relief at least.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Midnight City posted:

I don't either. People in the thread called it that Tyler would show up and try to hurt the baby but I didn't believe it because the show spent the last 4 seasons turning Tyler into a decent guy from the shitbag he started out as, only for him to show up as a psycho baby murderer. Sure Klaus killed his mom but the baby didn't do poo poo to him.

I forgive him for this as I assume he has PTSD hybrid/Sired to Klaus issues. Any chance that something can create hybrids must be eliminated. He's rather obsessed and not in his right mind.

I think it would be interesting if the baby is born, Klaus sires 20 hybrids right away while Haley quietly smirks in the corner because Klaus doesn't realize they are all sired to her and then she turns them all on him. If for nothing else the look on his face.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Two years ago when I started watching, I posted in the thread a quick "can you let me know where we're at right now?", and people lost their minds, oh god you must start at the beginning or you won't get it at all! Honey please.

In our defense, the show was much better back then.

I honestly don't mind this season so much, side from Bonnie. That could also be because last season was so loving horrible. If I have to hear the words 'heightened' or 'the cure!' one more time. I really hope they keep Elena a vampire now that she's all happy with it.

In theory, if anyone wanted to be cured, couldn't they all just drink Catherine's blood? Even if they have to completely drain her, it's not like she'll die.

Edit: Also, I have this feeling they are going to have Catherine and Stefan hook up.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 30, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, as convoluted as the storylines are this season, at least it's fun to watch, and the actors are clearly having a blast with all the multiple versions of themselves they get to play. In contrast with the previous season which has one long-running thread of angst over the drat cure.

KilGrey posted:

In our defense, the show was much better back then.

Yep. Post season 2 had some serious potential to match Buffy levels of greatness, but it kind of lost most of its potential with its refusal to grow beyond what it accomplished. Which could be a meta critique on the nature of vampirism and doppelgangers forever repeating the same cycles, but it honestly isn't smart enough to do that.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2013

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

KilGrey posted:

I honestly don't mind this season so much, side from Bonnie. That could also be because last season was so loving horrible. If I have to hear the words 'heightened' or 'the cure!' one more time.

Ditto for "functional vampire". What is that supposed to be anyway? Out of the whole lot of vampires on the show, I think the only "functional" vampires to use as evidence may be Caroline and Lexi.

quote:

In theory, if anyone wanted to be cured, couldn't they all just drink Catherine's blood? Even if they have to completely drain her, it's not like she'll die.

Not quite. Silas sucked the cure from Katherine, so now she's aging much faster than if she still had the cure in her veins. My understanding from that whole storyline (ye gads) is that if you drink the cure, you won't be able to be a vampire again, but you'll live a normal human life. But if someone takes the cure from you... woops. I would expect that had Silas and Amara been around a bit longer, they would be aging at faster rate than Katherine. Anyway, Silas sucked the cure from Katherine, and then from Silas to Amara. No more cure, because Amara died with the cure in her veins.

Am I the only one enjoying the Bonnie storyline? I actually care about what is happening to her. Will she now "live" forever as she is both alive and dead at the same time? Will Bonnie's Bennett witch cousin (from the Masquerade episode in Season 2) come back and help her? Maybe the witches on the Other Side can do some sort of spell for her? Who knows? I want to know!

And despite Katherine quickly approaching her death from old age, I want to see more! A full head of grey hair, dentures, a walker. I want the show to go all out. And then find a way to save her in her last hour, because drat.

-Blackadder- posted:

They'll probably just bring in mysteriously absent teen witch to blow the gently caress out of everything.

Marcel mentioned Davina in the same episode that everyone is complaining about her being absent from. Her magic is getting stronger and more and more unpredictable (and it is not at all controlled), and every time he attempts to remove her from the church, her magic goes postal (perhaps has something to do with all the church boys slaughtered there - or it being closer to the point of no return with the harvest ritual?) Even if Marcel could remove Davina from the church, I'm pretty sure he didn't want her anywhere near the showdown in case she decimated everything and everyone. I also don't think he wants to abuse her power because she is, after all, just a kid, and he did go on his lecture about keeping kids safe.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

rainbow kittens posted:

Marcel mentioned Davina in the same episode that everyone is complaining about her being absent from. Her magic is getting stronger and more and more unpredictable (and it is not at all controlled), and every time he attempts to remove her from the church, her magic goes postal (perhaps has something to do with all the church boys slaughtered there - or it being closer to the point of no return with the harvest ritual?) Even if Marcel could remove Davina from the church, I'm pretty sure he didn't want her anywhere near the showdown in case she decimated everything and everyone. I also don't think he wants to abuse her power because she is, after all, just a kid, and he did go on his lecture about keeping kids safe.

We know he did, it was just a stupid excuse. The only thing I can remember about Davina not leaving the church is when Marcel tried to get her to but she talked him out of it because she'd struck a deal with Klaus, not any mystical reason she couldn't leave. Also even if there was he could've just scheduled his stupid plan to take place at the drat church.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

rainbow kittens posted:

Not quite. Silas sucked the cure from Katherine, so now she's aging much faster than if she still had the cure in her veins. My understanding from that whole storyline (ye gads) is that if you drink the cure, you won't be able to be a vampire again, but you'll live a normal human life. But if someone takes the cure from you... woops. I would expect that had Silas and Amara been around a bit longer, they would be aging at faster rate than Katherine. Anyway, Silas sucked the cure from Katherine, and then from Silas to Amara. No more cure, because Amara died with the cure in her veins.

If the cure isn't in her anymore, can't they just turn her back into a vampire then?

Midnight City posted:

Also even if there was he could've just scheduled his stupid plan to take place at the drat church.

I'm sure the Priest would have had an issue with that. Human as he maybe, he does seem to have some clout and I don't think Marcel would have wanted to piss him off. Not to mention the possibility of destroying/revealing Davina's hiding place.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 16, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, it opens up a few more roads down the future. I can understand why they didn't have Davina there since if Klaus just beat every conceivable thing it'd be even more pointless than it is now, it just felt really hamfisted "oh btw my yamamoto gun can't be here".

I can't tell if they just dropped the whole human plotline or if they're slowly building up to it, but I want to see what the priest/humans have in their corner.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am relieved that I basically wasn't meant to understand the Silas storyline, so that's a relief at least.

It's still worth it for the character development to go back and rewatch from the beginning. Get past the first few episodes with the diary writing and crows - you'll be fine.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

courtney_beth posted:

It's still worth it for the character development to go back and rewatch from the beginning. Get past the first few episodes with the diary writing and crows - you'll be fine.
Season five and people are still upset about someone joining in the middle, I guess.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm a fan of world building and character development, so it's more of an encouragement to give you more context/background into the characters than me being upset you started in the middle.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I recently started a rewatch of the show from the beginning and honestly, the first handful of episodes aren't as terrible as they're made out to be. The worst thing (for me) was the oh-so-CW sad plunkety guitar music with breathy vocals by forgettable bands every time there was a serious scene, but apart from that? Looking back I find it interesting that the early episodes seemed to be going for a much more classic, Dracula-esque horror vibe, before the show shifted to breakneck plots and constantly-changing alliances. I especially liked that those early episodes had an actual atmosphere of danger, especially for Vicki and Caroline, but also for Elena before it became apparent that Damon actually liked her. It definitely got better, but I don't think it was awful at the start, just different.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I miss season 1 Damon. Dude was scary as poo poo.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Particularly since he spent a significant portion of his time smiling and not being violent, but always letting you think that might change in an instant.

I miss that Damon, too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Good episode tonight. Nice to see Cami getting some control back. At this point I'm enjoying The Originals so much more than TVD.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Good episode tonight. Nice to see Cami getting some control back. At this point I'm enjoying The Originals so much more than TVD.

Same here and I really have no interest in The Initiative storyline that's coming up on TVD.

If we're lucky maybe we'll get a Cyborg Killing Machine Damon out of it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 4, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm really liking Haley and Elijah together. They have good chemistry, but then again, how could you not swoon for the guy who plays Elijah?

Poor Rebekkah. She gets screwed figuratively far more than she ever does literally. I don't think I've ever seen a character have such a run of back luck with men.

I like the inclusion of Klaus' werewolf family. That will be interesting to explore. Especially as we've seen him turn into a wolf all of once since he because the hybrid.

Also, how stupid was it for letting them kill werewolves be some sort of trust exercise? It's not like werewolves only exist in the bayou. They are all over the world, he can just import some. Just like the witches could have left the city to ask some non-members of their circle to do magic for them away from Davina. ..whatever.

-Blackadder- posted:

The Initiative storyline

That's exactly what it reminded me of too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I am kind of curious about this show. I am kind of looking for something to watch as backgroud noise and is easily bingeable, is this show pretty entertaining? Worth watching? Could someone tell me about it?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Once you get past the first 5-6 episodes of season 1, it turns from a generic teen vampire angst show into a roller coaster of insanity. Once you hit season 2, every episode feels like a season finale. It's pretty conducive to bingewatching, really.

Speaking of, I should catch up on the past few episodes. I honestly for some reason thought the resolution of the Amara/Silas storyline was the midseason break.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Once you get past the first 5-6 episodes of season 1, it turns from a generic teen vampire angst show into a roller coaster of insanity. Once you hit season 2, every episode feels like a season finale. It's pretty conducive to bingewatching, really.

Speaking of, I should catch up on the past few episodes. I honestly for some reason thought the resolution of the Amara/Silas storyline was the midseason break.

Sounds good. To be honest I was a little bit worried about the theme of the show being too vampire-angst but it seems like it has a darker, more mature tone to it perhaps? Am I wrong?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

It's really a show about endlessly-shifting alliances and schemes and double-crossing and triple-crossing and mobius-strip-crossing. If that's your thing, you will love it and be endlessly entertained for at least the first three seasons. Start from the beginning; certain dopey things will probably make you roll your eyes at first, but they figured out pretty quickly what could and should be dropped to make the show more fun.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
In other words: Suffer through the cheeseball effects and the crow for the first five episodes and you're golden.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

When did Enzo get a day light ring? Aren't they supposed to be super rare? Bonnie knows how to do it since she comes from a long line of super powerful vampires and Marcel got the spell from Klaus whose mother created it.

What did Enzo expect Damon to do? The cage was painted with vervaine and the house was on fire, one of the few things that can kill a vampire. Doesn't seem like Damon had much of a choice. I can understand Enzo being pissed still given he had to endure decades more of torture but I don't think Elena and Stefan should be give him judgey looks for that part at least.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EDIT: Since someone who hasn't read this show is reading the thread... don't read this post, lots of spoilers up to the current episodes!

I have no idea where either show is going. Klaus has defeated Marcel (at least for now), the cabal of humans experimenting on vampires plotline seems to be going nowhere since said cabal consists of... 1 person? I had such high hopes for this season of VD, but they really got rid of Silas too early.

Not really sure what I think of the Damon/Elena stuff. On one hand, I thought it was disappointing that Damon was continuing to hunt Whitmore family members. It wasn't really in character (any more). He's still flippant about collateral damage when it comes to helping Elena, sure, but it was weird for him to still be motivated by revenge at this point. But on the other hand, I'm glad they are addressing how Elena is almost psychopathic with her ability to be totally ok with Damon slaughtering innocents so recently.

Both turning Elena and killing off Alaric were huge mistakes, I think. There just isn't anyone left to be the voice of reason, or compassion. In most instances, our protagonists... are actually the bad guys. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was some semblance of self-awareness, but Elena/Caroline/Bonnie/Jeremy/non-ripper Stefan actually seem to think they are the good guys. Even though they are doing horrible things, ruining lives and causing the deaths of so many. We at least need an Alaric cameo with a "holy poo poo, what are you guys doing?" message.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 13, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

atomicgeek posted:

It's really a show about endlessly-shifting alliances and schemes and double-crossing and triple-crossing and mobius-strip-crossing. If that's your thing, you will love it and be endlessly entertained for at least the first three seasons. Start from the beginning; certain dopey things will probably make you roll your eyes at first, but they figured out pretty quickly what could and should be dropped to make the show more fun.

I'd also like to add that one of my favorite parts about season 1 were all of the flashbacks to Civil War-era Virginia. I'm a sucker for anything from that time period and recommend this show to anyone else who is the same way.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shakugan posted:

Both turning Elena and killing off Alaric were huge mistakes, I think. There just isn't anyone left to be the voice of reason, or compassion. In most instances, our protagonists... are actually the bad guys. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was some semblance of self-awareness, but Elena/Caroline/Bonnie/Jeremy/non-ripper Stefan actually seem to think they are the good guys. Even though they are doing horrible things, ruining lives and causing the deaths of so many. We at least need an Alaric cameo with a "holy poo poo, what are you guys doing?" message.

This is so true. Ever since the end of season 3, everyone has just been so unapologetically selfish, their motivations are solely to keep the status quo of keeping everyone more or less alive at the expense of everyone else not in their circle of friends.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Shakugan posted:

We at least need an Alaric cameo with a "holy poo poo, what are you guys doing?" message.

I'd be happy with just having a show of Alaric and Damon being awesome and drinking lots.

Ever since Elena turned, she is acting more and more like Damon (and in turn, like Katherine). Sure, she's having more fun (is this how she was before her parents died?), but she is less likeable. I find it interesting how Katherine was attempting to redeem herself a little bit, but no one's taking it from her.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

There's a new Originals episode tomorrow, but Vampire Diaries isn't back until next week. The preview scene of them all toasting to Katherine's impending doom was pretty funny.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

deety posted:

There's a new Originals episode tomorrow, but Vampire Diaries isn't back until next week. The preview scene of them all toasting to Katherine's impending doom was pretty funny.

I was happy to have The Originals back. I'm enjoying the Camille/Davina/Joshua dynamic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If Katherine dies I'm back in. I love the character but the show really needs to start making it's deaths stick.

I'm kind of hoping they kill off one or two others before the end of this season.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm a pretty big fan of Vampires but have avoided TVD because everything I read about it just screamed "Twilight: The Series." But Netflix kept bugging me incessantly to watch it for some reason. Every time I turned around it was top on my recommended list.

I guess Netflix knows me better than I know myself because I finally caved and gave the pilot episode a shot only to look up and realize it's now 1 a.m. and I've binged through half of the first season. This is just a great show. Some cringe-worthy dialogue at spots, but overall the characters are interesting and I find myself invested.

I also greatly appreciate that they seem to have not messed around with traditional Vampire lore too much and came up with a daywalking excuse that isn't retarded. Enchanted rings I can totally buy, and it adds an element of danger if they lose it/it gets taken.

How does The Originals tie in to the series? Is it concurrent like Buffy/Angel or unrelated entirely? What season of TVD should I start watching The Originals?

Murazor
Mar 9, 2011

Esroc posted:

How does The Originals tie in to the series? Is it concurrent like Buffy/Angel or unrelated entirely? What season of TVD should I start watching The Originals?

It barely ties in, and is more of a spinoff, watch until the end of season 4, and then start watching it.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013
Personally I pretty much watch the show for Katherine; the show needs someone who sees everything as it is IMO, not to mention that she feeds so much energy into the story. Now Bonnie is just an annoying third wheel, her character keeps running around in circles and generally doesn't do much.

What we really need is some new big bad that the gang can plot against. TVD is at its best when there's some compelling villain driving the storyline.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Okay, the show is back to form after that last episode. I loving love Katherine.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
You know what, it serves them right for not killing her when they had the chance.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Ahahahaha, I was getting annoyed at all the overdone sappiness of the goodbye episode, that was PERFECT.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I gotta say I love this shows pace. I just finished the first season and I can't think of a single episode I would consider filler. It's just plot all the way through. They've managed to cram into one season what a lot of shows would stretch over two or three. I hope this breakneck pace continues into the remaining seasons.

Murazor
Mar 9, 2011

Cetea posted:

Personally I pretty much watch the show for Katherine; the show needs someone who sees everything as it is IMO, not to mention that she feeds so much energy into the story. Now Bonnie is just an annoying third wheel, her character keeps running around in circles and generally doesn't do much.

What we really need is some new big bad that the gang can plot against. TVD is at its best when there's some compelling villain driving the storyline.

Looks like the new big bad will be Katherine, but it also looks like Tyler will be joining in for third wheel status.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

The first couple episodes of this season kinda bored me so I put off seeing them until this weekend. Holy shitballs, it's lovely to see them embracing the full-on batshit crazy again. I love this show. (Need to bring Alaric back right now, show. Also Aunt Jenna. The tease was terrible and magnificent.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

atomicgeek posted:

The first couple episodes of this season kinda bored me so I put off seeing them until this weekend. Holy shitballs, it's lovely to see them embracing the full-on batshit crazy again. I love this show. (Need to bring Alaric back right now, show. Also Aunt Jenna. The tease was terrible and magnificent.)

Absolutely, yes. I liked that they brought back Matt's pouty sister for a cameo, too. The episode was a pretty effective and entertaining twist on the usual sort of hundredth episode flashback fest.

Esroc posted:

I gotta say I love this shows pace. I just finished the first season and I can't think of a single episode I would consider filler. It's just plot all the way through. They've managed to cram into one season what a lot of shows would stretch over two or three. I hope this breakneck pace continues into the remaining seasons.

The enthusiasm people always seem to exhibit when jumping into this show via marathon (I was one of these, too) will never stop being entertaining. "I thought it was going to be Twilight with fewer sparkles/True Blood with fewer boobs, but it's AMAZING." :drac: :getin: :drac:

• Locked thread