Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lucania posted:

Well, this explains tonight's ending.

She's my favorite on this show and one of my favorites overall, so :(.

Drifter posted:

Ah man, are you kidding me? That loving sucks, she was one of the best characters on the show.
Was expecting her to show up on the Vampire Diaries, and when it didn't happen, I went looking. The hell, she's just gone? There is no reason to continue watching The Originals without her, as she is the only fresh air in 42 minutes of posturing jackassery. This really surprises and disappoints me, turning a bit of tolerable background watching into what I'm anticipating will be utter garbage (note: I am one episode behind, so I haven't seen anything post departure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Whaddafuck, Rebecca's gone? Well that's gonna put a damper on my catch-up binge.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really not too bothered, I just haven't ever cared about Rebecca.

I'm really not too sure where either show is going at this point. That Elena has forgiven Damon again just makes me roll my eyes. I know so many people were rooting for Elena and Damon to get together for so long, but first turning Elena and then putting her with Damon have ultimately been tragic misteps that have essentially wiped all that was interesting about her character.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Man, what I loved about early Elena was that she had agency. She didn't have superpowers, and her options usually sucked, but she made her own decisions and followed through. She acted instead of just sort of sliding along with the plot. Honestly I think season 2 Elena would have gotten fed up with all this bullshit by now and dumped both brothers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So it looks like they are finally getting around to pairing up Caroline with Stefan. On one hand, it's probably the only potential relationship in the show that's ever made sense (since they have a relationship that appears to go deeper than the "I think you're hot" basis of the Elena/Damon relationship), I can't buy Stefan ever getting back with Elena and I can't imagine the showrunners ending TVD with Stefan brooding and alone. On the other hand, I get a real kick out of TV shows that have guys and girls being purely platonic friends because way too often female roles in television and movies relate to them being the love interests of male characters and nothing but; it's nice for women to have their own plotlines that don't purely relate to the guys they are dating. Plus it's obviously possible for guys and girls to be close friends without the need for a romantic attachment every single time. I think a big part of the reason that most TVD viewers always found Lexi so compelling was her friendship and love of Stefan without being yet another jilted ex-girlfriend. I'd say without doubt that plutonic friendship between men and women is easily the least explored relationship in western media.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Shakugan posted:

So it looks like they are finally getting around to pairing up Caroline with Stefan. On one hand, it's probably the only potential relationship in the show that's ever made sense (since they have a relationship that appears to go deeper than the "I think you're hot" basis of the Elena/Damon relationship), I can't buy Stefan ever getting back with Elena and I can't imagine the showrunners ending TVD with Stefan brooding and alone. On the other hand, I get a real kick out of TV shows that have guys and girls being purely platonic friends because way too often female roles in television and movies relate to them being the love interests of male characters and nothing but; it's nice for women to have their own plotlines that don't purely relate to the guys they are dating. Plus it's obviously possible for guys and girls to be close friends without the need for a romantic attachment every single time. I think a big part of the reason that most TVD viewers always found Lexi so compelling was her friendship and love of Stefan without being yet another jilted ex-girlfriend. I'd say without doubt that plutonic friendship between men and women is easily the least explored relationship in western media.

I really dig Caroline and Stefan as good friends. I was expecting something to happen, but hey. I'm okay with the slow build-up, too!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I didn't get the feeling they are leading up to them getting together. They've done a really good job of showing them as just platonic friends.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Caroline/Stefan being friends might be the only thing on the show I even like anymore. They really do a good job of showing us that it's an actual friendship, not just two characters repeatedly telling us they're friends despite clearly having no reason to be but the plot demands it.

A much better show would take their friendship and build off it, but this is TVD and I fully expect Caroline to have an epiphany one episode about how Stefan is her ~one true love~, betray everyone in a hackneyed plot to trick Stefan into putting Elena's life in danger leading to a penultimate showdown in which Stefan has to choose between them, only for the season to end with all of them awaking from a fever dream realizing none of it (including the original Caroline/Stefan friendship) ever happened.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is possibly a really petty thing to bash the show for, but one thing that's always hindered my enjoyment of it is the fact that everyone is so goddamn good looking. Even the background cast is absolutely flawless. Nobody wears the same thing twice. Their hair is always perfect. Their skin is flawless. It's almost eerie in and of itself how sexy Mystic Falls is.

Contrast this to Buffy which had realistic looking characters. Or hell, if you want to use a modern example, Teen Wolf or Awkward, which also do a good job of showing realistic looking teen characters. Yeah SMG/David B./et. al. were very attractive, but they were still accessible and believable as teens/young adults (or ex-teens). Elena, Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Caroline, Jeremy, they're... just not. They aren't teens (now college kids). They're supermodels.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 18, 2014

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I started watching The Vampire Diaries after my sister kept saying "No really! It isn't Twilight!" and having nothing to do at work.

I'm 1 or 2 episodes behind on both shows, but I just have to ask: Has no one in the last 1000 years ever responded to Klaus' repeated statement of "Why must you all betray me?" with the obvious answer that he's an rear end in a top hat? I mean... he's just an rear end in a top hat 100% of the time to everyone. About everything. He's always shouting about Rebekah betraying him, and she never once says "Because you're a dickhead!" He's kind of a hard character to like, because of that.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
I was rooting for Caroline to drag Enzo back from the edge when he realized that Damon had killed his one true love.

DAMNIT CAROLINE WHERE WERE YOU??????

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really not liking the Travelers as antagonists because it's so hard to believe that Elena and co. wouldn't wipe the floor with them. I mean, they seem to basically be incredibly weak witches who need to be in massive groups all chanting together for a long time to perform spells that normal witches can do instantaneously on their own.

Also, there is no way that they aren't setting up Stefan and Caroline. I got that vibe a few episodes ago (hence my post above), but this episode pretty much confirmed it I think.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So has everyone given up on this show? We Hulu'd this weeks episode last night and just had our jaws drop at the end. 'How many times do I need to kill you?' Is a pretty valid question. Is Paul Wesley wanting out of the show?

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So has everyone given up on this show?

I watched the first couple episodes and quit in favor of waiting until the season is over and marathoning on Netflix. I find it's less frustrating to watch that way.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

apathetic JAP posted:

I watched the first couple episodes and quit in favor of waiting until the season is over and marathoning on Netflix. I find it's less frustrating to watch that way.

I'm in the same boat, but about halfway into the season for me. The glaring flaws in storytelling are a lot easier to forgive when you're binging.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The plotlines this season have been really lackluster and I am not sure where they're taking it. I'm a bit burned out on the show because it seemed to have a really good pace and I liked the dynamics of the characters acting together.

I've given up on The Originals already. Every episode is the same and you can miss 2-3 and not be really behind at all. :(

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Bonnie/Kat Graham is such an amazingly lovely actress it's almost breaking the laws of probability that she would've managed to actually have one good acting scene by now, but nope Stefan dies and she's still face acting the poo poo out of it with her dumb constipated face.

They managed to turn Klaus from godlike to "what WON'T hurt him now?". Season two he'll get floored by the common cold.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Klaus was the worst loving thing to happen to this show.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, despite how much of an Elijah fan I was before the Originals, I've pretty much given up on it since I have never, don't and will not ever give the slightest poo poo about Klaus. Vampire Diaries has also become pretty meh. It's unfortunate, I had high hopes for the beginning of the season, and the first run of episodes was actually pretty good (Silas was an awesome villian for reasons I've already posted in this thread). Now we're getting lots of Bonnie, the threat of even more people coming back to life, incredibly dull villians in the Travelers etc. The only possible good coming from this is if the other side officially gets destroyed so we stop getting so many god drat resurrections.

This show was initially really cool in how willing they were to off cast members. But the flip side of that is all the resurrection bullshit we've been subjected to over the last 3 seasons.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I shall dissent and voice my love for The Originals. I can't be bothered to watch The Vampire Diaries until I can binge it because the season was so dull. The Originals is a glorious White Wolf live action show about the battle for control of a city (New Orleans proper, finally) between warring factions and is awesome. :colbert:

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I shall dissent and voice my love for The Originals. I can't be bothered to watch The Vampire Diaries until I can binge it because the season was so dull. The Originals is a glorious White Wolf live action show about the battle for control of a city (New Orleans proper, finally) between warring factions and is awesome. :colbert:

I agree with this. Really threw me for a loop that the "human" faction is actually run by the opposing werewolf pack who had not yet activated their curse. Preettty awesome.

I keep forgetting to fear Elijah, and then he rips hearts from chests (IE: Therriery") (spelling???)

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
we got rid of Bonnie and gained Alaric in exchange for remaining stuck with Tyler and losing Damien.

Not sure how the math on that works out as far as being a net positive or negative.

I kinda hope they hunt down and kill weaselly witch boy tho.

edit:

quote:

UPDATE: The CW confirms that Matt Davis (Alaric) will once again be a series regular in season 6, as first reported by TV Guide.

hooray

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Damiya posted:

Not sure how the math on that works out as far as being a net positive or negative.

Alaric is back, so as far as I'm concerned the season is a success. :allears:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Damiya posted:

Alaricstuff

Let's put our party hats on and do the butt dance. Any chance they'll pick a plot and stick with it next year? Or, say, go back to a story driven by characters instead of vice versa?

(Forgive my bitching. I miss season 2 and Classic Elena pretty hard at this point.)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I can't see why they wouldn't, they just hit the reset button. If Tyler is no longer hybrid then it stands to reason both Elena and Stefan are human. I am not sure if DoppelSupe would be affected, but events could be interpreted as fate making sure they stay together.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
A change in the status quo while keeping most of the same characters is good for the show. It's too bad we won't get any more Rick/Damon time.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
Are Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham leaving the show? I haven't watched the season yet but I'm gathering Damon and Bonnie are dead. Are they "dead" like Alaric or DEAD like Lexi?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pretty sure Somerhalder is under contract for another season or two. So Ric's back eh? Guess I should shotgun the back half of TVD now that the finale's aired.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
They have ghosts who could touch things. Why didn't they just send one of them into the Mystic Grill with a match?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lucania posted:

They have ghosts who could touch things. Why didn't they just send one of them into the Mystic Grill with a match?

For the same reason Bonnie touched Alaric before Damon, things don't make sense in TV.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I cannot imagine Ian Somerhalder leaving this show when it's one of the best rated shows on the network and he's garnering a lot of fame and attention from it.

That said -- I haven't seen last night's episode and I'm not sure at this point I want to unless I know that Damon is coming back for sure! I'm not really a fan of the way they've made him into a puppy and kicked him around this season. It could also be that I'm still bitter over the cancelation of Star Crossed and Carrie Diaries, so.... meh.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Kat Delacour posted:

I can't see why they wouldn't, they just hit the reset button. If Tyler is no longer hybrid then it stands to reason both Elena and Stefan are human. I am not sure if DoppelSupe would be affected, but events could be interpreted as fate making sure they stay together.

They're not human. In the car, on the ride into the city, Damon said they had to die while they were still vampires or whatever. Tyler wasn't a hybrid anymore because the travelers pushed him over the border where all things supernatural get undone (we watched him lose his wolf, lose his vampirism, become human & die to the broken neck). That's why he was resurrected human, because he died human. At least that's what I gathered from the whole episode.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

IdeoPhanthus posted:

They're not human. In the car, on the ride into the city, Damon said they had to die while they were still vampires or whatever. Tyler wasn't a hybrid anymore because the travelers pushed him over the border where all things supernatural get undone (we watched him lose his wolf, lose his vampirism, become human & die to the broken neck). That's why he was resurrected human, because he died human. At least that's what I gathered from the whole episode.

Tyler died with the werewolf gene in his blood (he was born with that - that isn't witch magic), so that could also be it. If he didn't die as a supernatural, he wouldn't have gone to "the other side".

Now, my question is, why didn't Liv's brother help her with the spell? He sat there and watched her perform it, he knew it was killing her, wouldn't taking it over prevent her death? Unless he was unable to perform the spell because he's no longer a witch. (Edit: Woops. He did the spell to stop Liv's spell.) When Bonnie was brought back she was unable to do magic, so... who knows? Alaric died as a vampire, so, will he come back as a vampire?

sonatinas posted:

For the same reason Bonnie touched Alaric before Damon, things don't make sense in TV.

Bonnie actually likes and respects Alaric, whereas, she can barely stand Damon. She was probably super happy to be able to send Alaric back to the land of the living. And to be fair, Alaric is better for Elena and Jeremy than Damon ever was.

Anyway. I was so friggin' happy to see Alaric alive again. I wasn't sure how they were going to pull off bringing Stefan back from the dead, but when I realized that we were getting Alaric back, too, I was so ridiculously happy. Losing Alaric sent the show into a tailspin, and I think the producers/writers were aware of that.

Also, Lexi is a better friend than any other members of that crew. Well, Bonnie, too, but Lexi rocks. A bit sad we won't see her again, but glad to see that certain characters won't ever be back (mainly: Vicki). It's good that death will stick now.

Unless there is another "Other" side, where everyone was sucked off to. And everyone can come back. *sigh*

rainbow kittens fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 20, 2014

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Okay, question. My wife and I don't watch TVD, and we're catching up on The Originals (which we enjoyed at first but let the DVR record a bunch so we could binge watch), and we just finished watching "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," the episode with the second line for father Kieran, and Mikael appears in Hayley's dream and attacks her.

My question is, when did Mikael die at all? I got confused and looked it up, and it seems he was staked by Klaus in an episode of TVD, but when chronologically did THAT happen? I thought Mikael was summoned by Rebekah a little bit ago in The Originals, which is what made Klaus pissed off at Rebekah in the first place. Are we supposed to know that he actually died on another show, or am I mixing up present events with flashbacks?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Rebekah and Marcel summoned Mikael in the past/flashback timeline of The Originals. Klaus got mad at them in the present day because he spent all that time thinking that it was just bad luck Mikael found them. He never knew they'd directly betrayed him until that resurrected witch who did the spell told him about it. In terms of the present-day plot, Mikael had been restrained and hidden away for decades until some Vampire Diaries characters freed him to send him after Klaus. They had a special stake that could kill an original, but Klaus got his hands on it and used it to kill Mikael instead.

The whole backstory for how Klaus became a hybrid and a ton of other family flashbacks are in Vampire Diaries. That show has stalled a little, but the first three to three and a half years of it (with the exception of those awkward first few episodes) are really entertaining.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Catching up on the Originals. I was a little bored with the first few episodes but it's started hitting a stride around ep 11 with the conclusion of the harvest ritual and this whole Celeste storyline has been really fun plotting, a little sad that it didn't last that long as it's been a lot more of an interesting dynamic than the Marcel/Klaus war for control that was the first half of the season. I think the biggest strength that this show has over TVD is that it's not built on a never-ending love triangle and its infinite permutations, and the biggest weakness is just how seriously it takes itself, there's very few light moments or self-awareness at the ridiculousness of the premise. Also Camille is loving awesome.

Please don't kill Josh he's my favorite A++ newbie vampire

edit: man, Farewell to Storyville was one fine hour of television. I just hope it can live up to its promise of a new story for this old family. The character developments feel a lot more earned than anything that TVD has done in the last 2 seasons or so.

quote:

“We are the definition of cursed. Always. And forever.”

It's never been more obvious that the process of turning into a vampire puts that individual in a state of mental suspension in which they never really grow as a person beyond that moment. The titular characters of TVD are forever reliving their "first love" romances because at that age, that's literally the most important thing that encapsulates their existence. The Originals were turned from uh various age ranges, Rebekkah seems to be 18-ish in that she can still pass for high school age when wanted, and Klaus and his brothers are around early to late 20s. So Rebekkah is in that pre-adulthood mindset of wanting freedom from home and to find her place in society, which Klaus tampers at every possible moment. Klaus has an obsession with creating a home and a family, a place to put down his roots, but is tarnished with his inability to trust anyone he invites into his home (hence his need to create hybrids who fulfill both of his needs, nearly mindless beings who are a kind of surrogate children to him). Elijah is the big brother/parental figure who comes into his role because of their real father's failure, who puts the family first every time. Each of their roles were addressed in this episode and acknowledged and in doing so, gives them a self awareness that they were previously lacking that could help them move on. I just hope the show is capable of carrying on from this moment instead of getting stuck regressing into their roles again for the next couple of seasons.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 22, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah The Originals is way, way better than TVD has been since early S3. That's around the time the show began to find out how many ways it can repeat plotlines without actually literally repeating them word-for-word. It really suffers from a lack of expansion of its own mythology; I just keep wishing they'd delve deeper into things and maybe show some other mythological being aside from vampires, witches and werewolves but it never does that and thus remains stale and boring. "Who will Elena choose... AGAIN" is so old and trite that I can't even stand it anymore. Same with Caroline bitching and Bonnie dying and coming back ad nauseum. It's sad because the first few seasons of this show were incredible and it's almost like it's afraid to do anything else with the characters or setting.

I mean, look at something like Supernatural or Buffy/Angel or even Grim or Lost Girl. Hell Supernatural's been on for ten years now and hasn't really gotten stale yet because their universe is constantly expanding and getting bigger. With VD it's "vampires vamps and more vamps, doppelganger other side witch doppelganger" and i'm so over them.

The Originals is completely carried by Klaus/Joseph Morgan's Lestat-like "evil sexiness" and the natural mysticism/occultism offered up by a New Orleans setting. I'm much more invested because it has way more character and more hook than TVD does even if it uses the same kinda-dull mythology. Also, I really enjoy the side characters like Cami and Davina and Josh.

hope and vaseline posted:

Also Camille is loving awesome.

Yesss I'm glad I'm not the only one. She's one of the strongest actors on either show and I'd like to see more of her. I like her character a lot, she's strong-willed and tough but caring and kind-hearted at the same time.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 22, 2014

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

I mean, look at something like Supernatural or Buffy/Angel or even Grim or Lost Girl.
I'd cross Lost Girl out of that list because its last season was a good example of a show falling flat on it's face while trying to expand. I can't even think of a genre show that's had such a steep, sudden drop in quality as that last season.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The new Vampire Diaries episode is tonight, followed by the Originals on Monday. I don't have time to throw up a new thread so if someone else wants to get on it, go ahead. If not, maybe I'll be able to post a season 6/season 2 thing next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'd offer to do it but I'm still in the process of catching up on TVD. 2 more episodes to go. Ugh I'm so tired of this doppelganger true love BS and I'm really pissed they killed off Enzo in the most badly paced and edited episode of the season. I'm not really buying the Travellers as the season big bad, given the pace that TVD runs on it makes sense that they need to keep moving at the plot speed of light but it sucks that they're putting they're wasting their best and most charismatic villains before the final stretch (Silas/Qetsiyah, Katherine/Bad Damon/Nadia, and now Enzo).

I'm really just powering through cause I miss my Alaric :(

• Locked thread