Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly I'm just surprised there's so many people here still following the show. Maybe I'll catch up, I ducked out sometime around "oh good, body jumping Travellers, this is incredibly boring".

The Originals, on the other hand, has been a solid White Wolf style war for control over New Orleans and is significantly less bogged down by high school/college/parties. And I'm digging the new Esther, mostly grateful the last one got the boot relatively quickly. I am currently worried about Elijah :ohdear:

New page! Also the clarification of the backstory on Tatia was fascinating. Hopefully those watching TVD are still keeping up with The Originals for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Every time I drop TVD I end up spending a weekend catch-up binge watching. At least that way it's easier to forgive the troublesome spots when you're shotgunning episodes. And I really don't blame people for ducking out with the back half of last season, it was dreadfully boring and without even a charismatic villain, which TVD usually nails even when everything else is sputtering.

That said, I'm relatively on-board this season. Skeptical they can keep going at this new pace, but I'm enjoying it for what it is currently.

KilGrey posted:

Also, Daniel Sharman is so damned gorgeous.

Ughhh yesss

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 6, 2014

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm enjoying The Originals much more than TVD at this point. I really hope the Elena memory wipe doesn't last long. I'm irritated Bonnie is still trapped. I really wanted her and Damon to go home and then we never talk about the Otherside again.

Also, Daniel Sharman is so damned gorgeous.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I absolutely cannot believe this show made me actually, you know, feel something again, but they've done such a good job setting up the emotional beats of this season that when there was that bro-hug at the end, I teared up. drat. That's quite the 180, show. I'm still really blown away by how well they're showing the consequences of everyone's actions this season, too. Poor Liv. :ohdear:

The bit with Bonnie was bullshit, but you just know she'll find her way back.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I am so far behind in this season. I'm officially never going to have time to make a new thread, but it's been great to hear that some of you think they're doing a little better this year.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
So this episode didn't go in the direction I thought it would but i still enjoyed it. I was surprised Tripp gave up on Enzo so quickly, but glad Ivy is gone already. Looks like we have to wait a while for Caroline and Stefan to happen :( If it's going to happen...

A compulsion question... Alaric obviously cannot undo his compulsion on Elena, but can another Original do it? Or can it only be the vampire who did the compulsion in the first place who takes it away? Or along similar lines, could an Original not override Alarics compulsion, and in the process remove it?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ela posted:

So this episode didn't go in the direction I thought it would but i still enjoyed it. I was surprised Tripp gave up on Enzo so quickly, but glad Ivy is gone already. Looks like we have to wait a while for Caroline and Stefan to happen :( If it's going to happen...

A compulsion question... Alaric obviously cannot undo his compulsion on Elena, but can another Original do it? Or can it only be the vampire who did the compulsion in the first place who takes it away? Or along similar lines, could an Original not override Alarics compulsion, and in the process remove it?

I think Original compulsion is interchangeable but the shows obviously make up the rules as they go along. The more obvious solution though is to briefly drag Elena across the Mystic Falls town line just long enough for it to erase her compulsion but not long enough to drown her, but at this point I'm much happier with her compelled state.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I got to thinking about the larger implications of last night's episode. Do they have a cure for vampirism now? I mean, at least for people who didn't die instantly (RIP Ivy). If they could get a triage center set up on the border they could probably save a nonzero number of vampires who wanted to take the risk of dying again.

Of course, that's assuming a. Tripp and his goons don't come rolling through and b. Alaric doesn't turn back into a bloodthirsty drunkmonster the second he crosses back over the line again.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

atomicgeek posted:

I got to thinking about the larger implications of last night's episode. Do they have a cure for vampirism now? I mean, at least for people who didn't die instantly (RIP Ivy). If they could get a triage center set up on the border they could probably save a nonzero number of vampires who wanted to take the risk of dying again.

Of course, that's assuming a. Tripp and his goons don't come rolling through and b. Alaric doesn't turn back into a bloodthirsty drunkmonster the second he crosses back over the line again.

Ya, I'm not understanding a lot of things. Alaric should still turn back into a vampire when he crosses the line. Or maybe he plans to never leave Mystic Falls ever again. Damon not telling everyone about Bonnie makes no sense to me. The fact that they all don't have several originals on speed dial like they did the past couple seasons to fix the compulsion is dumb. Since Elena drowned, it seems like it would be easy to revive her if she wanted to be human again. Easier than stopping a gaping hole in someone's chest with gauze anyway. All of that and I'm still going to watch this train wreck for better or worse.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The Originals got me tonight. :drat: I legitimately was not expecting that.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Caitlin posted:

The Originals got me tonight. :drat: I legitimately was not expecting that.

Yeah that was a crazy ending to the episode. It's funny because I dropped TVD because everything that was going on felt stupid but I'm worried this show is going to have the opposite problem. Too many interesting things are going on

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really do not care at all about Klaus or his daddy issues from 700 years ago. Cami is still great.

As for evil mum, ugh shut up already. You've been saying the same crap for like 3-4 episodes.

Definitely missing Josh though, he's just a good character to have around because he isn't a douchebag.

Originals is better than Vamp diaries though

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
So should we now assume that Esther made her children immortal to prevent them from having children, as well as or instead of to protect them from the werewolves. Except now she wants them to be reborn and have families.. which is the confusing part for me as Dahlia would just come for every firstborn still. Or she's conjuring up a plan to stop Dahlia.. who knows.

Cami is still brilliant, gotta love her

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It's "firstborn of every generation", not "every firstborn". I would assume that further children would be spared the fate (but that doesn't matter since the firstborn isn't actually dead in this case :v:)

vv also a valid point

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 11, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was also "as long as the bloodline continues."

Considering that they've soul swapped into new bodies, that may be enough to break the bloodline.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011
Ah yes, that makes sense. Gotta say i'm extremely interested to see where they go with it then. But like a few others here I wish they hadn't bought new 'daddy issues' into play for Klaus, end it, end it now.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

|Ziggy| posted:

Ya, I'm not understanding a lot of things. Alaric should still turn back into a vampire when he crosses the line. Or maybe he plans to never leave Mystic Falls ever again. Damon not telling everyone about Bonnie makes no sense to me. The fact that they all don't have several originals on speed dial like they did the past couple seasons to fix the compulsion is dumb. Since Elena drowned, it seems like it would be easy to revive her if she wanted to be human again. Easier than stopping a gaping hole in someone's chest with gauze anyway. All of that and I'm still going to watch this train wreck for better or worse.

Other than the fact that he's awful, I don't get why Tyler isn't hanging out in Mystic Falls with Matt and Jeremy. That would completely take care of people going full on Final Destination on him.

Damon not telling anyone about Bonnie makes sense if he's convinced there's nothing they can do and just wants everyone to move on, which seems to be the case. Of course, Jeremy is going to hear Damon's voicemail and then we'll be right back to Bonnie, so this is a nice little reprieve.

Personally I hope Alaric does go back to being a vampire after leaving Mystic Falls just because I want a good Damon, Enzo, Alaric vampire hangout.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I dropped this show after last seasons traveller bullshit and thought I'd never watch it again but man, season 6 is good. I mean, I doubt we'll ever reach the heights of season 2 again but this show is slowly making me love it again - lots of kills, twists and quite unexpectedly some well handled emotional beats. Please don't let me down again, Vampire Diaries. :unsmith:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

And that time I got all teary for Klaus and grew rather fond of him. :smith: I'm super into The Originals this season. I'm surprised nobody else commented, honestly. It's lonely over here.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Despite understanding his motivations I can't care about Klaus at all because he's a huge whiney baby and has been an irredeemably poo poo person for 975 of his 1000 years on planet earth

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Klaus is just the worst jerk.
So what happened with Josh and the werewolf he had one date with?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I'm glad the whole "Oh look Klaus, it's your father" angle has come and gone. The Originals added a lot of great new actors this year (every new Mikaelson, in particular) and dude just didn't hold a candle.

Also, I have little to no interest in seeing a Caroline and Stefan relationship.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's kind of ridiculous how often Bonnie is getting stabbed but not dying (given that they haven't established that everyone in the realm gets the same come back to life each time deal as Kai).

It's also kind of ridiculous how everyone in the group at some point has referred to every other member of the group as their best friend.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shakugan posted:

It's kind of ridiculous how often Bonnie is getting stabbed but not dying (given that they haven't established that everyone in the realm gets the same come back to life each time deal as Kai).

But they kind of have, haven't they? They're in a mystical limbo reliving the same day over and over, so the normal rules of life and death are temporarily suspended there. What's more ridiculous is how Bonnie just stood there listening to the monologue while Kai floated a goddamn machete aimed directly at her. FFS at least try to back away or something...

Otherwise I'm still really happy with this season and that wasn't a bad episode to get all the plot wheels spinning. All that character building's making me care about the outcome of this stuff again.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Just watched the latest episode of The Originals... are we to assume Marcel kidnapped Cole while Davina was sleeping and also took the white oak stake?

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Wezlar posted:

Just watched the latest episode of The Originals... are we to assume Marcel kidnapped Cole while Davina was sleeping and also took the white oak stake?

That's what I think happened and now Davina thinks it was Cole that took the stake.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Edit: wait this isnt the UKTV thread

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 24, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What a stupid episode.

It made no sense for Damon and Elena to chill in Mystic Falls all day instead of trying to meet Bonnie in the middle, especially when there was only a half hour window on a 6 hour trip. What if she ran out of gas? Had a flat tire? Had an accident? In general them going to the phantom zone but not being able to get Bonnie back just felt really anticlimactic and made it feel like the plotline is really dragging.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Yeah why wouldn't they meet in the middle? I'm getting quite tired of all the bonny shenanigans, I really wish the show would just make their minds up and kill her or save her and be done with it. Really Matt, as the last human, should be the one to play the obligatory damsel in distress.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
No new thread for S6 and even with a second show in tow, I had to drag this one up from page 4... seems like I wasn't the only one dropping the show somewhere last season. Well, a few days ago I saw an ad and got curious. Fast-forward to now and I'm all caught up; guess I still care. Few thoughts:

- The second half of season 5 was just as mediocre as the first. Nothing's really standing out for me to comment on. Season 6 is mostly pretty cool so far.
- Binge watching is still the preferable method to watch the show. Oh the joy of skipping ahead all the pointless crap.
- gently caress yeah Alaric's back.
- Pairing Damon with Bonnie was a brilliant choice as both characters improved. I no longer hate Bonnie! In fact, their scenes have been the best part of the season for me.
- Jeremy remains the worst. Just... the worst.
- Tyler remains a close second.
- Matt remains useless.

For the two posters up above that suck at TV : crazy fratri/sororicidal guy said the teleport could only happen in a specific location (that cave in Mystic Falls).

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

seravid posted:

For the two posters up above that suck at TV : crazy fratri/sororicidal guy said the teleport could only happen in a specific location (that cave in Mystic Falls).

They were giving Bonnie blood so Liv could get them out, not use the same spell that got Damon out. As you probably saw, Damon and Elena were transported out while standing around her house. Thus, meeting in the middle should have worked. I think it's you that sucks at TV.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

|Ziggy| posted:

They were giving Bonnie blood so Liv could get them out, not use the same spell that got Damon out. As you probably saw, Damon and Elena were transported out while standing around her house. Thus, meeting in the middle should have worked. I think it's you that sucks at TV.

Well yeah but... I mean.... hmm, so that really was just another pointless dumb obstacle in a long, long list of pointless dumb obstacles. Apologies to Shakugan and Bogwitt. Truly, they are the better watchers of this vampire soap about alcoholic teenager psychopaths.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
Just caught up to the midseason finale of TVD. Light years better than seasons 4 and 5.

Somehow this show has manipulated me into caring about Bonnie again. Kai is an interesting and creepy villain. Elena dealing with her compulsion is actually intriguing instead of tiring (though it was annoying for 2 or so episodes). I'm really looking forward to how they're going to play out the inevitable death of Sheriff Forbes, though I'm confused as to how vampire blood can cure everything BUT cancer. Could it be? Is this show good again?

Hope they don't gently caress it up with the back half. :ohdear:

And now, it's time to power through S1 and the first half of S2 of The Originals. I hope it's as good as the thread thinks it is. Elijah was always my favorite. :swoon:

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Old news now, but both shows have been renewed by The CW for the 2015/2016 season :)

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Can someone explain why no one is even thinking about killing Kai now that they've got him knocked out? I love this show, but it can be so dumb sometimes.

Also, I'm with Matt. Stephan just let that poor girl die only to reveal his secret to Enzo like an episode later? I know you're supposed to ignore the fact that they're all pretty bad people to anyone who isn't in their inner circle, but sometimes it's just too much.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Kitiara posted:

Can someone explain why no one is even thinking about killing Kai now that they've got him knocked out? I love this show, but it can be so dumb sometimes.

I just assume it has to do with the merging deal. If he dies then I assume Liv would have to merge with her twin instead (because it probably wouldn't "count" in the eyes of the coven if a twin is killed outside of the merge). So the win/win option for everyone is to have Kai die via merging. That way the coven gets a leader (via their methods), Liv keeps living (since she appears to be the weaker twin), and he's no longer an issue for everyone else.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
I think I want to see Kai win the merge because he's such a badass and I truly enjoy drooling over his delicious face.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

rainbow kittens posted:

I think I want to see Kai win the merge because he's such a badass and I truly enjoy drooling over his delicious face.

Well, still this, but... Luke! It would be cool if Luke won but then took on all of Kai's murderous traits.

So... is Sheriff Forbes cancer free now?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What a lovely sendoff for Luke. He really should've had a bit more screentime.

I think Sherriff still has cancer, but Kai took away the vamp blood magic which would've turned her into a suffering cancervamp.

At least we've got a decent gay character in Josh on The Originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hey you never know, maybe he just got shunted off to the pissant afterlife with Bonnie. They probably need some excuse to remind people she still exists.

• Locked thread