Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What the hell did they do to Paul Wesley to make him so sexy all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay, I know this has been said many times already but Nina Dobrev seriously pulls off the "Katherine/Elena being two different people" thing so goddamn well. I really actually buy it. Their mannerisms, appearance, voice inflections, ect. are so wildly unalike that it's unbelievable. I know people like to rag on her like they did with Kristen Stewart, but the difference is that Dobrev is a good actress.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when Elijah was first introduced and no one had seen Klaus for decades or even heard of original vampires? Remember how staking them would incapacitate them for a brief period but not out right kill them or how the daggers weren't special but instead it was the white oak ash? Remember how Elijah wanted to kill Klaus because he realized how evil he was and how he couldn't be allowed to become an hybrid because he'd be an unstoppable monster?

Yeah. I really wish that was the version of the originals they had stuck with, brilliant villains that lasted a season at most before being dispatched.

I'm happy their baggage has gone from the Vampire Diaries, but I wish it had never had a chance to set in really and now we're just repeating their storyline with Silas.

Eh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Originals will be good, but it won't ever live up to the promise of the originals when they were first introduced.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with VD: it's somewhat repetitive. They reuse plotlines from earlier seasons, tack them onto other characters, and hope viewers won't notice. It's all dangerous vampire, dangerous vampire, dangerous vampire every episode with the occasional vampire hunter/bad witch/werewolf once in a blue moon and it gets a bit old. I'd be all for them having a bit more variety in their villains a la Buffy/Angel/Supernatural.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Oh boy, here we go again with the "will Elena choose Stefan or Damon?" BS. I mean, I guess that's like watching Walking Dead and saying "oh god, here we go with the running from zombies poo poo again", but it still annoys me. I was so SURE they'd wrapped that up last season- she's with Damon, done, finished, okay. Stefan could move on and find someone else or whatever. But nope, here we are again for the millionth time in a row.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

I'm enjoying the Originals.

I expect Ketsia will beat Silas and then turn on all the dopplegangers, wanting to wipe them from existence.

I think Ketsia would work as the S5 villain. I liked her weird, almost self-deprecating sense of humor. It's a lot better than Klaus's "I'm going to murder everything" brand, which got stale pretty quick.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Midnight City posted:

Isn't Tyler the most powerful person on TVD now that Bonnie is dead and Silas doesn't have mind control? They've almost managed to pull a Caroline with him and make him start liking him.

I literally groaned out loud when he returned on last week's episode. Like, an actual involuntary groan. I thought he was gone for good, along with Klaus. Why the hell bring him back?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, this is much better than last season. They seem to have gone the True Blood route of "let's not take this show seriously anymore" and it is definitely working out for them.

Also, Katherine was always the best thing about this show (aside from non-pushover Damon). The writers are excellent at creating scheming/dastardly/cunning archetype characters and I'd be interested to see what Julie Plec could come up with once this show is over.

That being said, I re-watched the first two seasons over on Netflix and I'll be damned if it isn't some excellent freaking television. It's a perfect blend of supernatural happenings, political intrigue, family drama, historical grudges and sarcastic/dark humor and the second season takes off like a fever pitch and never loses its steam- not once. Too bad they haven't really been able to recapture that feel since the end of S2.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 10, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is it just me, or is this season really lacking in a clear central antagonist? It seems like everyone is at once the good and bad guy. Normally this works well but it's starting to get a bit confusing.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The only thing that could make Bonnie interesting is if she pulled a Dark Willow and became evil. That'd be pretty cool, actually. But it'll never happen because the writes are waaayyy too fond of these characters.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Damiya posted:

Oh god Bonnie came back with A Terrible Curse which is going to be completely wasted because her actress just does not have the capacity to perform a role like that (and that's without discussing how badly Bonnie tends to be written)

There's this really weird 'so, uh, what now' vibe. I would have preferred to keep Silas and Tessa as big bads until the end of the season. Instead we lose our interesting hooks and rush back to 90210: Whitmore

I didn't read any of the books that weren't written in the 90s, but apparently the route they took in the books is the secret society is actually a cult which worships Lovecraftian demons and wishes to eradicate vampires or somesuch deal. In one of them, Elena & co. actually descend into the "other side" to fight these creatures and rescue a de-vamped Damon.

Now that I wrote that out, I actually kind of want to read it? It'd be a cool thing for the show to do but I doubt they'd actually do that. IMO, what really could have refreshed this show is if they all went off to college in like another city (Richmond? DC?) and the show was anchored there. But they totally missed that opportunity and now they seem to be floundering, stuck in the same rut they've been stuck in since the beginning of S3.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 15, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

atomicgeek posted:

It's really a show about endlessly-shifting alliances and schemes and double-crossing and triple-crossing and mobius-strip-crossing. If that's your thing, you will love it and be endlessly entertained for at least the first three seasons. Start from the beginning; certain dopey things will probably make you roll your eyes at first, but they figured out pretty quickly what could and should be dropped to make the show more fun.

I'd also like to add that one of my favorite parts about season 1 were all of the flashbacks to Civil War-era Virginia. I'm a sucker for anything from that time period and recommend this show to anyone else who is the same way.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is it bad that I find Klaus to be, like, the sexiest TV vampire ever? He's this perfect mix of psychopathic, dashing, and badass and it makes him impossible to resist.

Also, something about Marcel just... irks me. Maybe it's the acting? He almost talks like he is a tour guide who remembered and rehearsed all of his lines way in advance, over and over again.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Drifter posted:

Elena's super whiny. Caroline's surprisingly well-adjusted and stable.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I think Elena is a fantastic character for the first two seasons. She doesn't have any supernatural or special powers; she instead relies on her wits to outsmart her enemies and is usually successful because they almost always underestimate her. Then, from season 3-onward, she basically just becomes a conduit for fangirls to pretend they are in a relationship with Ian Sommerhalder.

Becoming a vampire, while inevitable, was the worst thing for her character. She's lost virtually any semblance of the things that made her so charming- her cleverness, her compassion, her easygoing nature- and replaced them with basically a cheap imitation of Katherine's traits, only not as cool or badass.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 2, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

So we all know the baby is going to age super fast right?

It'll probably go to a Hell dimension and come back as a teenager who will then proceed to impregnate Caroline. Who will give birth to an ebony goddess as a result.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
"The Originals" is like the Breaking Bad of teen vampire shows. I'm really loving it so much. The characters & themes are all fantastic, as are the twists.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Drifter posted:

Why? Is teen wolf more of the same as TVD? What makes it good? I always thought it sounded kinda Twilight-y (shut up TVD doesn't sound like that :mad:).

Do you like Buffy? If so, you'll like TW, or your money back. It has the same campy humor mixed in with strong characters & interesting bad guys/plot twists. Absolutely nothing like Twilight.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

This thread really should be renamed Vampire Diaries S5 / The Originals: Shouldn't we be watching Teen Wolf by now?:colbert:

I'm finding TVD to be almost unwatchablely stale now. The Originals is pretty ok but who knows how long they can keep that up.

Yeah, the whole vampire thing in general is getting worn out for me (although I love The Originals). So are werewolves, for that matter; but one thing I'll never tire of is the "nerdy kids fighting the forces of darkness" thing.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I always laugh whenever any of the Originals are so adamant about their "we do not hurt kids!" shtick. Okay, you don't hurt kids but you were perfectly okay with spending years endlessly tormenting a pack of teenagers back in Mystic Falls?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is possibly a really petty thing to bash the show for, but one thing that's always hindered my enjoyment of it is the fact that everyone is so goddamn good looking. Even the background cast is absolutely flawless. Nobody wears the same thing twice. Their hair is always perfect. Their skin is flawless. It's almost eerie in and of itself how sexy Mystic Falls is.

Contrast this to Buffy which had realistic looking characters. Or hell, if you want to use a modern example, Teen Wolf or Awkward, which also do a good job of showing realistic looking teen characters. Yeah SMG/David B./et. al. were very attractive, but they were still accessible and believable as teens/young adults (or ex-teens). Elena, Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Caroline, Jeremy, they're... just not. They aren't teens (now college kids). They're supermodels.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 18, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah The Originals is way, way better than TVD has been since early S3. That's around the time the show began to find out how many ways it can repeat plotlines without actually literally repeating them word-for-word. It really suffers from a lack of expansion of its own mythology; I just keep wishing they'd delve deeper into things and maybe show some other mythological being aside from vampires, witches and werewolves but it never does that and thus remains stale and boring. "Who will Elena choose... AGAIN" is so old and trite that I can't even stand it anymore. Same with Caroline bitching and Bonnie dying and coming back ad nauseum. It's sad because the first few seasons of this show were incredible and it's almost like it's afraid to do anything else with the characters or setting.

I mean, look at something like Supernatural or Buffy/Angel or even Grim or Lost Girl. Hell Supernatural's been on for ten years now and hasn't really gotten stale yet because their universe is constantly expanding and getting bigger. With VD it's "vampires vamps and more vamps, doppelganger other side witch doppelganger" and i'm so over them.

The Originals is completely carried by Klaus/Joseph Morgan's Lestat-like "evil sexiness" and the natural mysticism/occultism offered up by a New Orleans setting. I'm much more invested because it has way more character and more hook than TVD does even if it uses the same kinda-dull mythology. Also, I really enjoy the side characters like Cami and Davina and Josh.

hope and vaseline posted:

Also Camille is loving awesome.

Yesss I'm glad I'm not the only one. She's one of the strongest actors on either show and I'd like to see more of her. I like her character a lot, she's strong-willed and tough but caring and kind-hearted at the same time.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

aBagorn posted:

This for me as well. This show so inconsistent and irritating, because when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. There are episodes and arcs that could easily be considered among the top of network television.

But then they squander it away with some ginned up angsty poo poo.

Yeah it really is very frustrating at this point. This might sound mean, but I sometimes wonder if certain shows might not benefit from just dumping their writers four or five seasons in and going with a whole new creative team with fresh ideas. It's clear the passion is not there anymore whatsoever- like not even remotely. The characters developed so wonderfully up to the last third of S3 and then... poof! Everyone became stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over and over again and falling prey to past mistakes endlessly. Elena has become even worse than Katherine for the Salvatore brothers at this point. She's just toxic and they should ditch her as soon as humanly possible. At least Katherine was honest about who she was. Elena hides behind sanctimony and tries to put herself off to be this innocent, sweet girl that she simply isn't and hasn't been for a while now.

The CW really needs to end this one and fill the slot with another teen supernatural type show.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread