Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really surprised they disabled Silas' mental powers so early on. I'm also super annoyed that the cure still exists. I'm sure we were all suspecting it, but ughh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is Silas' knock knock joke too long to be the thread title? Because it was amazing

I really want Silas to stick around. I know that Paul Wesley has always disliked having to play the "good" guy, but really, I think he's been killing it as both Silas and memory wiped Stefan. In the past when he's been playing ripper Stefan, the character was still dull because he was basically crazy violent mainly for shock value, to show how "different" he was to normal Stefan, and to show how damaged he is.

But Paul Wesley as Silas work great because, well, he's a hilariously sarcastic asshat. I didn't even like Silas last season when he didn't have an actor. It'll be a terrible shame if Stefan-Silas gets offed after only a handful of episodes when loving Klaus managed to stick around like a sore thumb for so long he got his own show.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I'll miss your snarky self, Silas :(

Seriously. Silas has been the best thing about this season by far. To have him offed in the same episode that Bonnie comes back is just the worst. We got stuck with Klaus for three seasons and a spinoff, and yet Silas, who's actually awesome, only lasts 7 episodes?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lucania posted:

I think Bonnie said that she's not a witch anymore.

Her video message to her mother was a little ridiculous when you consider that it was clearly her first time talking to her mother since she died, and she made no mention of her father dying (and in fact seemed giddily happy).

Still upset we're probably not going to have any more Silas.

I think the scene with Elena and Jesse could have been done better, to make us really believe that what she did was necessary. In any other situation we'd just get the ol' headsnap and he'd have woken up a few hours later.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EDIT: Since someone who hasn't read this show is reading the thread... don't read this post, lots of spoilers up to the current episodes!

I have no idea where either show is going. Klaus has defeated Marcel (at least for now), the cabal of humans experimenting on vampires plotline seems to be going nowhere since said cabal consists of... 1 person? I had such high hopes for this season of VD, but they really got rid of Silas too early.

Not really sure what I think of the Damon/Elena stuff. On one hand, I thought it was disappointing that Damon was continuing to hunt Whitmore family members. It wasn't really in character (any more). He's still flippant about collateral damage when it comes to helping Elena, sure, but it was weird for him to still be motivated by revenge at this point. But on the other hand, I'm glad they are addressing how Elena is almost psychopathic with her ability to be totally ok with Damon slaughtering innocents so recently.

Both turning Elena and killing off Alaric were huge mistakes, I think. There just isn't anyone left to be the voice of reason, or compassion. In most instances, our protagonists... are actually the bad guys. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was some semblance of self-awareness, but Elena/Caroline/Bonnie/Jeremy/non-ripper Stefan actually seem to think they are the good guys. Even though they are doing horrible things, ruining lives and causing the deaths of so many. We at least need an Alaric cameo with a "holy poo poo, what are you guys doing?" message.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 13, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Captain Mog posted:

It'll probably go to a Hell dimension and come back as a teenager who will then proceed to impregnate Caroline. Who will give birth to an ebony goddess as a result.

I came so close to making this joke, but didn't want to risk spoiling a certain show.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Esroc posted:

I finally caught up to Season 5 and I'm really disappointed with Silas. The whole doppelganger angle is fine, but he acts exactly like Stefan at all times. At least Katherine was all bitchy and holier-than-thou next to Elena's compassionate and emotional. So you could tell the two apart most of the time. It makes it seem as if Stef's actor only has the talent to play one character. They couldn't even be bothered to change his hair between roles! Why would a 2,000 year old Demi-God have James Dean hair?! Jeez.

I'm only two episodes in, so maybe he gets more compelling. But right now I'm wishing they hadn't gone doppelganger and just hired a different actor.

Silas is fantastic. When given the opportunity, Paul Wesley is actually better at sarcastic asshat than Ian Somerhalder is.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Esroc posted:

Yeah, I just caught up to the newest episode and he did get much better before his demise. Of course now we're back to Stefan being boring..

Actually, the last couple episodes were really disappointing. Everything's been reset back to status quo. It's like Season 1 all over again. And Katherine pretending to be Elena is just silly. The Katherine we've seen up 'til now would've taken the body and bolted. Though I'd be totally okay with the whole body-snatcher thing being permanent, though that'll never happen.

Honestly, if they got Caroline to jump ship over to The Originals I'd probably give up on TVD altogether at this point.

The direction of the season is disappointing in a lot of ways because they had actually created a good antagonist in Silas (Stephan form), only to off him in like 7 episodes. The problem with Klaus was that they made him so powerful that it just became ridiculous when he'd spend so much time telling the protagonists how he's totally going to do some super bad stuff, like slaughter them all, and then sit around doing nothing and/or moping in an incredibly pathetic way.

With Silas, they had a villain who was interesting to watch, who was a genuine threat, but (and most important perhaps), he got nerfed in a really interesting way. Silas was really powerful, but only when Stephan was temporarily dead. It was brilliant. You have a villain who's a step up from Klaus when necessary, yet no so powerful all the time to the point that the audience just wonders why they don't slaughter the entire cast while their hands are tied behind their backs. When Stephan was alive, Silas was slower than even young vampires. He was weaker than young vampires. But he was immortal. So it was totally conceivable that Silas could have stayed around for much longer, scheming against Elena and co, actually being lower on the food chain and having to run at times. And when it was necessary for a big showdown, he could get his mind control powers back.

But nope, 7 episodes. Klaus on the other hand, one of the worst tv show villains of all time (due to having been written into a tiny corner because of his power) gets 3 seasons and his own show.

Instead we moved onto the Augustine vampire thing, which, let's face it, has been embarrassingly bad. This secret order that's been experimenting on vampires for generations? One dude. Just one dude. Oooh, super scary secret order of humans that consists of one person... lol.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

KilGrey posted:

As far as Klaus goes, they made the right choice with him. They either needed to kill him, completely change him or give him his own show. The character really took on a life of his own, Elijah and Rebecca were awesome as well, so I'm glad they got their own show.

Elijah WAS awesome, but I strongly disagree about Rebecca. Rebecca has always been an awful character. Her character consists of two parts: one part Klaus style self-loathing mixed with whining about how awful things are (despite being an eternal, super powered attractive woman with the ability to compel practically anyone into doing anything) and how much she wants to attend high school dances; one part "used to sleep with every male protagonist or antagonist in order to create terrible relationship drama and/or backstory". Rebecca is defined by her whining, or the men she's slept with. That's her character. Awful.

I was a massive Elijah fan before the Originals, but having him around all the time has made him so much less cool and mysterious. On the Vampire Diaries, Elijah would randomly show up, wreck poo poo, say something gentlemanly and disappear for another dozen episodes. Badass. But here we see so much of him that his holier than thou attitude is really starting to irk, especially since we see how full of poo poo he is considering he lets Klaus whatever he wants (which generally consists of doing very bad things to often good people). I understand that's his character, and they try to address it in the show (even this episode with the "always and forever was the worst decision" etc etc), but it's just too much.

I'm being pretty harsh, but I absolutely loved the vampire diaries in the first couple of seasons. It's such a shame to see it decline so hard.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Murazor posted:

I think they've done the majority of the easily recognizable super natural creatures. We've seen vampires, werewolves, hybrids, witches, travelers, and ghosts. What else is left?

Next season, Elena falls in love with a zombie.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Christ guys, you should be encouraging people to watch Teen Wolf (because it's an awesome show and undoubtedly better than the Vampire Diaries), not spoiling what should be interesting reveals about the show. Edit your posts.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really not too bothered, I just haven't ever cared about Rebecca.

I'm really not too sure where either show is going at this point. That Elena has forgiven Damon again just makes me roll my eyes. I know so many people were rooting for Elena and Damon to get together for so long, but first turning Elena and then putting her with Damon have ultimately been tragic misteps that have essentially wiped all that was interesting about her character.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So it looks like they are finally getting around to pairing up Caroline with Stefan. On one hand, it's probably the only potential relationship in the show that's ever made sense (since they have a relationship that appears to go deeper than the "I think you're hot" basis of the Elena/Damon relationship), I can't buy Stefan ever getting back with Elena and I can't imagine the showrunners ending TVD with Stefan brooding and alone. On the other hand, I get a real kick out of TV shows that have guys and girls being purely platonic friends because way too often female roles in television and movies relate to them being the love interests of male characters and nothing but; it's nice for women to have their own plotlines that don't purely relate to the guys they are dating. Plus it's obviously possible for guys and girls to be close friends without the need for a romantic attachment every single time. I think a big part of the reason that most TVD viewers always found Lexi so compelling was her friendship and love of Stefan without being yet another jilted ex-girlfriend. I'd say without doubt that plutonic friendship between men and women is easily the least explored relationship in western media.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really not liking the Travelers as antagonists because it's so hard to believe that Elena and co. wouldn't wipe the floor with them. I mean, they seem to basically be incredibly weak witches who need to be in massive groups all chanting together for a long time to perform spells that normal witches can do instantaneously on their own.

Also, there is no way that they aren't setting up Stefan and Caroline. I got that vibe a few episodes ago (hence my post above), but this episode pretty much confirmed it I think.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, despite how much of an Elijah fan I was before the Originals, I've pretty much given up on it since I have never, don't and will not ever give the slightest poo poo about Klaus. Vampire Diaries has also become pretty meh. It's unfortunate, I had high hopes for the beginning of the season, and the first run of episodes was actually pretty good (Silas was an awesome villian for reasons I've already posted in this thread). Now we're getting lots of Bonnie, the threat of even more people coming back to life, incredibly dull villians in the Travelers etc. The only possible good coming from this is if the other side officially gets destroyed so we stop getting so many god drat resurrections.

This show was initially really cool in how willing they were to off cast members. But the flip side of that is all the resurrection bullshit we've been subjected to over the last 3 seasons.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Remember when Elena used to be a great lead (for a show about vampires)?

Turning her into a vampire, having her fall for Damon and the incredible stupidity that resulted from those things has hurt the show a great deal.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Every aspect of the show has suffered. Death used to mean something, characters used to talk instead of keeping secrets, they used to have the illusion of agency. I hope this is the last season as its rumoured to be, but it won't be, they would've made a bigger fuss if it was.

Yeah, this used to be a show where we would say things like "isn't it refreshing how they act like real people?". But the changes to the way characters are behaving, to Elenas character in particular (e.g. making her be totally cool with Damon having continued to kill innocents despite "having his humanity on" and doing so whenever he gets slightly annoyed at relationship drama), have just destroyed that.

I'm also really annoyed that they didn't used last season to get rid of the other side and resurrections for good. Like, they are talking as if it still exists.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's kind of ridiculous how often Bonnie is getting stabbed but not dying (given that they haven't established that everyone in the realm gets the same come back to life each time deal as Kai).

It's also kind of ridiculous how everyone in the group at some point has referred to every other member of the group as their best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What a stupid episode.

It made no sense for Damon and Elena to chill in Mystic Falls all day instead of trying to meet Bonnie in the middle, especially when there was only a half hour window on a 6 hour trip. What if she ran out of gas? Had a flat tire? Had an accident? In general them going to the phantom zone but not being able to get Bonnie back just felt really anticlimactic and made it feel like the plotline is really dragging.

• Locked thread