Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Internet Kraken posted:

Augh Morrigan what the gently caress happened to your face :stonk:

Looks like a younger Flemeth tbqh. At least, that was my first thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Sylphosaurus posted:

Well, it's been between 10-12 years since we last saw her. I guess she's simply one of those ladies who simply don't age very well.

It seems like they literally turned her usual frown upsidedown using the flip tool in paint, probably for the sake of a happier promo shot.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm amazed how much people outside SA liked the trailer. Uncanny valley Morrigan spewing generic crap about destiny. And talking to the camera, which has to be the most embarrassingly cheesy thing of all. It makes you cringe.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres just something wrong with their mouths.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Honestly excited for this game as the amount of Action RPGs with any effort at all put into them is pretty miniscule.

Totally preordering this as soon as Amazon lets me, suck it haters!

The last entry in the series couldn't classify as having any effort put into it by any stretch, so I am curious what exactly makes you excited for this one, but I do hope many more goons follow your lead. If this ends up being less of a trainwreck than DA2 and ME3, I'll be somewhat disappointed.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Combat looks pretty drat rough and floaty from the gameplay stuff they've shown. Particularly that nonsense with the ice walls. Though if fun combat was what I played RPGs for then... I dunno Icewind Dale and Xenoblade or something. I really want to hear more about the stronghold stuff

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Honestly excited for this game as the amount of Action RPGs with any effort at all put into them is pretty miniscule.

Totally preordering this as soon as Amazon lets me, suck it haters!

You sure showed us!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Arzachel posted:

The last entry in the series couldn't classify as having any effort put into it by any stretch, so I am curious what exactly makes you excited for this one, but I do hope many more goons follow your lead. If this ends up being less of a trainwreck than DA2 and ME3, I'll be somewhat disappointed.

First of all DA2 had a lot going against it but it's still one of the better action RPGs of this generation purely because it's competing with garbage like LOTR: War in the North. I don't like the Two Worlds or Dragons Dogma style of RPGs so this is pretty much it when it comes to fantasy RPGs that might interest me.

Besides that; the videos they have up on Game Informer look good, longer development time, Mike Laidlaw and Mark Darrah actually seem like they acknowledge that DA2 was flawed and Biowares marketing of it was flawed. I like Bioware and I like the setting, I also enjoyed the first half to two thirds of DA2 and all of ME3 once they released the extended ending. Bioware doesn't need to prove anything to me.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don't know why you're comparing DA2 against those games. Games like Witcher 2, Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas would be the usual games to compare it against.

Also it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Bioware admits now that DA2 was (deeply) flawed. After all, they're trying to sell us a new product. Assuring your potential customers that your new product is better than the old one is just one of the things you do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Smol posted:

Games like Witcher 2, Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas would be the usual games to compare it against.

Except none of those are really party based (sure, Skyrim lets you have a companion and NV lets you have two, but they're not really units you can control or direct during the fight), so if party based is the gameplay he's looking for, well...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

Except none of those are really party based (sure, Skyrim lets you have a companion and NV lets you have two, but they're not really units you can control or direct during the fight), so if party based is the gameplay he's looking for, well...

Is DA2 the only truly party based ARPG? You don't have direct control of your pawns in Dragon's Dogma, certainly. And I can't think of any others...

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Is DA2 the only truly party based ARPG? You don't have direct control of your pawns in Dragon's Dogma, certainly. And I can't think of any others...

It's the same developer, but do the Mass Effect games count?

For this generation, I mean.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, you tell them when to use their abilities, which characters to attack, decide how they get built and specialize, and their conversations are a bulk of the noncombat gameplay, so I'd say yes.

edit: And at least in Dragon's Dogma you have quick key commands for attacking, fleeing and helping and can build the pawns for different kinds of strategies and engagements. Which is a bit more than you can really do with a NV or Skyrim companion (where the best you can really do is give them equipment and hope they don't kill themselves getting in your way.)

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 10, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh yeah. I was stuck on, 'I can run this guy around myself'. But ME is definitely close enough to count.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 715 days!)

X-Men Legends and the sequels and spin-offs were party based action RPGs and they were frickin sweet.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Well the combat seems a bit exciting, let see if the rest holds it together or fall apart like in the sequel.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Looks like Bioware is developing deep gameplay and story elements for Inquisition.

Very deep.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I remember the marketing for the first one was loving horrible, but the game itself turned out pretty good.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 11, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Necroskowitz posted:

Looks like Bioware is developing deep gameplay and story elements for Inquisition.

Very deep.

Someone please make me an avatar of the blond elf's face.

Bleusilences posted:

I remember the first one marketing was loving horrible, but the game itself turned out pretty good.

Now this is the new poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Necroskowitz posted:

Very deep.

Oh man, the only person in this picture with normal anatomy is the guy on the left, though that's probably just because his eyes are covered. Is this really official art?

VVV EA has never had very good marketing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 11, 2013

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I am talking about poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMDCo5d5EIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5abtM6PaVo

Over the top music video that does not represent the game.

edit: For the post on top of me, they still spent as much and sometime more on marketing then the actual game. For example, they spent half the budget of star Wars: The old republic on marketing.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 11, 2013

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh man, the only person in this picture with normal anatomy is the guy on the left, though that's probably just because his eyes are covered. Is this really official art?

...what's wrong? The picture is great. One of my most favorite pieces of art that has come out from the game yet. I love the expression one everyone's faces.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
What exactly is the elf miming? My mind turns to dirty things.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Leelee posted:

Shes miming the awesome button.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I'm up for multiple scenes of the party interacting in non-combat situations. It's something Bioware's writers are half-decent at.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Internet Kraken posted:

Augh Morrigan what the gently caress happened to your face :stonk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

She's showing more teeth than Geena Davis

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Necroskowitz posted:

Very deep.

Hey, it's an improvement over the bile DAII's group spewed at each other. Maybe our crew might, just might like and respect one another as comrades.

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013

Necroskowitz posted:

Very deep.

I know and get the idea that Bioware is going for a different aesthetic for their elves outside the norm of "wispy human with long ears" but...uh...what's wrong with her face?

No, really. What's wrong with her face?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Leelee posted:

The state of Bioware development

Austere things posted:

Nothing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 11, 2013

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Pattonesque posted:

I'm up for multiple scenes of the party interacting in non-combat situations. It's something Bioware's writers are half-decent at.

Reference; the entirety of the Citadel DLC. :allears:

Seriously, that poo poo was more enthralling to me than the entire trilogy's main arc. If they can stuff even a fraction of that personality into the party-interactions of Inquisition, I won't give a drat how lovely the actual story is.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lotish posted:

Clearly what came out of the mirror was some sort of doppelganger.

Motherhood changes a woman. Demon baby motherhood even more so.

Austere things posted:

I know and get the idea that Bioware is going for a different aesthetic for their elves outside the norm of "wispy human with long ears" but...uh...what's wrong with her face?

Her face is covered in shadow because she is facing away from the fire.

edit: from that VVV blog

digging the blood mage eyes

A glimpse of a lady qunari. She's wearing remarkably sane clothing.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 11, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I thought that style looked like Matt Rhodes, and sure enough:

http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.com/2013/08/dai-tavern.html

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Generic American posted:

Reference; the entirety of the Citadel DLC. :allears:

Seriously, that poo poo was more enthralling to me than the entire trilogy's main arc. If they can stuff even a fraction of that personality into the party-interactions of Inquisition, I won't give a drat how lovely the actual story is.

Honestly, I'm hoping that someday Bioware makes a game exactly like the Citadel DLC. No overblown stakes, no incredibly tragic backstories, no grand looming threat, just a group of crazy weirdo friends getting into dangerous hijinks and playing off each other in the process.

Lord Lambeth posted:

digging the blood mage eyes

There's a lot of personality in that image. It really tells a story. Makes you feel for the mages minding their own business and fearing the coming templar army. Even the blood mage looks more desperate than anything.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I like this one more.

I think he's stabbing about the spot DA2 is at. Because gently caress that game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Geostomp posted:

Honestly, I'm hoping that someday Bioware makes a game exactly like the Citadel DLC. No overblown stakes, no incredibly tragic backstories, no grand looming threat, just a group of crazy weirdo friends getting into dangerous hijinks and playing off each other in the process.

I would kill for a game that has the presentation of Mass Effect 2 but is structured like Elite where there isn't much of an endgame and it's mostly about you going around in your rad customized ship doing whatever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Just a heads up, Planescape: Torment is VERY heavy on the role-play and story aspect. I believe you can get through the game without killing more than 10 enemies if you play a rogue. The Icewind Dale games are just the opposite, more focused on the tactical combat, you create each character yourself and cannot gain any NPC followers. So there is no party member interaction, but the story is still nice, if not as deep as the BG games or Planescape. Baldur's Gate is like a cross between Planescape and Icewind Dale (even though it came first).

Well if its anything like Baldurs gate I think we'll be safe with DA: 3. Its clear that the games listed are more or less timeless if not technology wise, certainly storytelling and memorable wise. I still remember the first games I played of Baldurs Gate and how excited I was to catch some of that in DA: O. Then DA: 2 came and I felt like I was playing a very pretty and even exciting game, but it was all action. It never had the feeling of overcoming Sarevok and his rear end in a top hat buddies or strategically setting up a fight to overcome a powerful foe. Even the itemization felt crappy. If I spend all my time doing every sidequest I should be a freakin demi-god like in BG: 2, not just have an extra +1 on my daggers like in DA: 2.

I want deep story and super interesting characters dammit.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jackard posted:

I like this one more.

I think he's stabbing about the spot DA2 is at. Because gently caress that game.

I can't help it- everytime I see that image, all that comes to mind is Cassandra screaming: "THAT IS MAHOGANY!"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I can't actually find kirkwall on the general world map on the wiki. Maybe Hawke had some sort of fever dream while dying of malnutrition in a refugee camp and DAII never actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

quote:

"THAT IS MAHOGANY!"

I still don't get the funny behind that quote. I mean...is it because its from Hunger Games, and its fun to hate on that?

• Locked thread