Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Doublehex posted:

I still don't get the funny behind that quote. I mean...is it because its from Hunger Games, and its fun to hate on that?

I believe its from dragon ball z abridged? Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Maybe it's just because that jackass is stabbing his dagger into a nice, expensive table.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

That table is garbage, it's not even varnished!

I'm actually more impressed that the dude was dedicated enough to drive a longsword hilt-deep into a table. Or a two-handed dagger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

That table is garbage, it's not even varnished!

I'm actually more impressed that the dude was dedicated enough to drive a longsword hilt-deep into a table. Or a two-handed dagger.

It looks like a shipping crate so he probably just got lucky and stuck it between two planks and now their whole table-top game is ruined and Mark's mom is gonna be pissed when she finds out how much of a mess they made in the basement.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

It looks like a shipping crate so he probably just got lucky and stuck it between two planks and now their whole table-top game is ruined and Mark's mom is gonna be pissed when she finds out how much of a mess they made in the basement.

"Wizards are bullshit! I'm going to play WoW assholes."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I like how according to Building a Dragon Age Rivalry, the initial thoughts of being the founder of the Inquisition was "what if you could found the Jedi Order instead of becoming a Jedi". It's almost as if Inquisition was created to make up for another game who's name currently eludes me.

Is it safe to assume there will at least be some heresy trials in this game? Seeing as this is taking place in fantasy France, I can only assume we're dealing with the early Medieval or episcopal Inquisition that wanted to stop local social unrest from everyone accusing everyone else of heresy. Maybe be summoned to a mage trial or two and have to bullshit some ancient scripture to make a case on whether or not they are actually possessed by a demon? Hopefully at least debate some quack theologian who tries to prove someone is an evil mage because they float in water?

It probably won't involve much more than kill another group of next gen Templars or Blood Mages in yonder cave room, but may I at least dream? :(

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 697 days!)

Crabtree posted:

I like how according to Building a Dragon Age Rivalry, the initial thoughts of being the founder of the Inquisition was "what if you could found the Jedi Order instead of becoming a Jedi". It's almost as if Inquisition was created to make up for another game who's name currently eludes me.

Is it safe to assume there will at least be some heresy trials in this game? Seeing as this is taking place in fantasy France, I can only assume we're dealing with the early Medieval or episcopal Inquisition that wanted to stop local social unrest from everyone accusing everyone else of heresy. Maybe be summoned to a mage trial or two and have to bullshit some ancient scripture to make a case on whether or not they are actually possessed by a demon? Hopefully at least debate some quack theologian who tries to prove someone is an evil mage because they float in water?

It probably won't involve much more than kill another group of next gen Templars or Blood Mages in yonder cave room, but may I at least dream? :(

If they'd thought of all that cool stuff you just said they'd have mentioned it in the promotional materials instead of describing Spectre agents but in The Dragon Age Setting. You know, an elite order with the extraordinary authority to Cut Through The Red Tape and Get Things Done Dammit. Like in Mass Effect. You Answer To No One. Etc.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right. It would be great to have a trial scene like in NWN2, but with you as the prosecution instead of the defendant.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jackard posted:

I like this one more.

I think he's stabbing about the spot DA2 is at. Because gently caress that game.

It'd be funny if he was, but he's stabbing just east of Kirkwall.

Geostomp posted:

Hey, it's an improvement over the bile DAII's group spewed at each other. Maybe our crew might, just might like and respect one another as comrades.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the DA2 crew seemed to like each other. The only ones your party disliked were Anders and Carver, and they both kind of had it coming. DA2 even had scenes of the party members talking to each other without you, which was a nice feature that was carried into ME3. I was looking at some of the party interactions from DA:O. That was a group that largely seemed to dislike each other, but it made sense to an extent because they were all pretty disparate people, with little in common.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 11, 2013

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Nichael posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the DA2 crew seemed to like each other. The only ones your party disliked were Anders and Carver, and they both kind of had it coming. DA2 even had scenes of the party members talking to each other without you, which was a nice feature that was carried into ME3. I was looking at some of the party interactions from DA:O. That was a group that largely seemed to dislike each other, but it made sense to an extent because they were all pretty disparate people, with little in common.

He's stabbing those loving annoying winding sandy cliff paths.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Nichael posted:

It was an unpleasant party if you had Merrill in there as well, as no one besides Varric seems to like her. Aveline, Anders, Fenris, and Sebastian all tend to berate her and tell her she's a monster. Varric and Isabela seem to get along well with everyone, and Aveline and Isabela have some really nice character development.

In DA:O, the "good" characters tend to get along well, meaning Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana. Morrigan just hates everyone. Dog, as appropriate, loves everyone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Leelee posted:

It was an unpleasant party if you had Merrill in there as well, as no one besides Varric seems to like her. Aveline, Anders, Fenris, and Sebastian all tend to berate her and tell her she's a monster. Varric and Isabela seem to get along well with everyone, and Aveline and Isabela have some really nice character development.

In DA:O, the "good" characters tend to get along well, meaning Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana. Morrigan just hates everyone. Dog, as appropriate, loves everyone.

Dog hates Alistair, and loves only me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nichael posted:

The DA2 crew is actually quite varied. The party banter is one of the few things the game actually does uncomplicatedly well, I think, and they all have different relationships with each other. Varric and Isabela have a sort of elder sibling feeling towards Merrill, Fenris has an antagonistic relationship with Merrill and Anders, Fenris and Isabela flirt with each other - that kind of thing. The core friendship group feels like Isabela, Varric and Merrill, plus Bethany if she's alive in Act One, with the rest of the characters in varying levels of orbit around that.

Some of it is better than other stuff. I find the Isabela/Aveline relationship, where Isabela calls Aveline a man and Aveline calls Isabela a slut, super grating and fairly sexist. That's the only standout to me though, I really liked the party interaction on the whole.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jackard posted:

I like this one more.

I think he's stabbing about the spot DA2 is at. Because gently caress that game.

I just noticed captain mustache casually freaking out in the background. Is that guy a party member?

Leelee posted:

Morrigan doesn't hate Sten, and they can sometimes agree over their love of random violence.

The best party member to bring with Morrigan is Ogrhen though because he drives her insane.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 11, 2013

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I just noticed captain mustache casually freaking out in the background. Is that guy a party member?
I think that is the Grey Warden party member, Stroud, who is possibly the Grey Warden you encounter in DA2 if Alistair wasn't it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nichael posted:

I think that is the Grey Warden party member, Stroud, who is possibly the Grey Warden you encounter in DA2 if Alistair wasn't it.

I hope they're done with DA:O cameos and leave Alistair in Ferelden.

Oh wait, this game has zones in Ferelden, doesn't it?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it supposedly stretches from the west of Orlais to the east of Ferelden. As for DA:O cameos, I suspect we'll continue to see those. For a confirmed obscure example, Dagna, the magic obsessed dwarf from the first game, is mentioned in DA:I. Thedas, like the Mass Effect galaxy, has a core group of people who are absolutely inescapable.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I quite like all those drawings. Sure as hell better marketing then the previous Dragon Age games got. Are the people in it all supposed to be party members and such or just random scenes to illustrate the world?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'll be honest: when a Bioware staffer describes an elf as young and frenetic, I think back to the quality of the writing in the last Dragon Age and can only come to the conclusion that what the writer really means is "a young, frenetic gently caress scene with an elf." And that one of the writers is probably masturbating to the thought.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Davincie posted:

I quite like all those drawings. Sure as hell better marketing then the previous Dragon Age games got. Are the people in it all supposed to be party members and such or just random scenes to illustrate the world?

I believe those are all party members. David Gaider remarked as such on the picture that the elf was very in-character (paraphrase).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Missed out on the last thread. Still up in the air on this game, while it certainly looks pretty, Origin will be a pretty steep gate of admission. Unless the game is flat out fantastic, I don't want Origin on my system. And what I see is still a mixed bag.

The videos have pretty much confirmed that they are going back to the old style Bioware formula. "You are part of an elite organization trying to save the world/galaxy, the Inquistion/Spectres/Grey Wardens/Jedi. You will travel from location to location trying to uncover the mystery of the Fade Tear/Saren's plans/Star Maps/Gather allies before confronting the final location and boss. Your unique position of power will let you either play diplomat, demand power, or earn it.

That in itself isn't a bad thing, and anything is better than DA2's ending. But don't forget, that for all the love we give Origins, the final act from Redcliffe onwards was a horrendous, buggy piece of poo poo as well. Take the tactical combat that only worked half the time, and then replace it with endless waves of one hit kill trash mobs and copypaste throughout Redcliffe and Denerim. I swear those fights were so buggy that you could sink fifty AOE spells into a single Hurlock and the bugged out game wouldn't register them. And that was before implementing the army mechanic, which again, only worked half the time.

Origins is the better game, don't get me wrong, but the ending was trash from a gameplay perspective. Then again, the only Bioware gamex that's end dungeon weren't poo poo were Mass Effect 1 and 2, and ME1 only barely because of the cool location (climbing the Citadel Tower while Sovereign tears poo poo up)

Let's see if Inquisition bucks the trend.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I believe those are all party members. David Gaider remarked as such on the picture that the elf was very in-character (paraphrase).

Dragon Age Inquisition: table stabbing and fisting jokes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why is Origin so reviled?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

sassassin posted:

Why is Origin so reviled?

It's crap and you're pretty much forced to use it for all EA games.

I don't hate it but I only use it if I absolutely have to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never had a problem with it. It's just steam with less games and no discounts.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Origin does have sales and discounts, just not to the ridiculous extent of Steam.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

sassassin posted:

I've never had a problem with it. It's just steam with less games and no discounts.

It also tends to be pretty buggy (your experience not included, luckily), but less games and no discounts is a valid reason to despise Origin.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
I bought DA:O for origin and I have never got to play that game because it wouldn't verify on origin and after 5 days and 6 phonecalls to EA support I gave up.
So that's why I won't ever use origin again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nyagato posted:

I bought DA:O for origin and I have never got to play that game because it wouldn't verify on origin and after 5 days and 6 phonecalls to EA support I gave up.

I didn't buy it on Origin and yet it appears on my Origin games list, as does Mass Effect.

I think I redeemed a Steam key for Shank, though I've never played it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nyagato posted:

Same story for me. I bought ME3 and Origin refused to instal the game or accept my keys. When I contacted EA support they tried to claim my ISP was causing this and basically went "Not our problem."

If Origin actually was as good as Steam I would have welcomed it with open arms. But when the thing launched it just the crappy EA Download Manager with a new skin. And while they apparently made some improvements, the support is just bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Origin is ridiculously unhelpful and poorly designed for a distribution platform run by a wealthy company. On top of just having a worse interface then Steam in general, if something goes wrong with Origin it is a nightmare to fix. Over years of using Steam I've never had technical problems with it. Once my account got hacked though and I lost a bunch of items, which Valve was under no obligation to replace, yet the support did anyways. It was a simple and smooth process as well.

Meanwhile, I tried to download DLC for Sims Medieval once on Origin and despite paying for it, I couldn't install it. I tried consulting Origin help, but it was absolutely worthless. I sent emails to their support and they just kept asking me obvious questions and ignored what I was saying. Eventually I gave up on trying to get the drat thing to work since it wasn't worth the hassle.

Basically, Origin has to compete with Steam which I have a great experience with, and it does a horrible job of it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I used Origin for ME3 and have no desire to use it again unless there's a game I really want to play that is exclusive to it (and as of now, Inquisition is not on that list). I haven't used it in about 6 months but back then it was pretty buggy and lost connection a lot. I also got locked out of the multiplayer because of an "invalid online pass" issue - the PC version of the game didn't even use online passes - and it took ages to get a service rep who actually understood what the problem was. Once I was finally issued a new Origin product key I had to go through the same song and dance since that broke my preorder DLC.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I used Origin for ME3 and have no desire to use it again unless there's a game I really want to play that is exclusive to it (and as of now, Inquisition is not on that list). I haven't used it in about 6 months but back then it was pretty buggy and lost connection a lot. I also got locked out of the multiplayer because of an "invalid online pass" issue - the PC version of the game didn't even use online passes - and it took ages to get a service rep who actually understood what the problem was. Once I was finally issued a new Origin product key I had to go through the same song and dance since that broke my preorder DLC.

This is pretty much my exact origin experience, although I am hesitantly hopeful about DA:I.

Not loving pre-ordering it though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm gonna play this game when it comes out. I enjoyed DA:O and I didn't mind DA2 despite the many flaws either really. This one looks the most interesting out of all to me so far though, mostly because I get to play as a god drat Qunari

I love the Qunari:frogbon:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Qunari should get racist rear end in a top hat dialog options like the Elves (Elves should get them, too, obviously) did in Origins.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Schubalts posted:

The Qunari should get racist rear end in a top hat dialog options like the Elves (Elves should get them, too, obviously) did in Origins.

That was the best part of being an Elf - especially a Dalish Elf. You can make everyone think that you offended them and they were a bunch of unintentional racist assholes. You could even do it to Leliana, where she was talking about elvish servants/slaves in Orlais.

"So, you mean to say Elves are pretty much prize pigs?"

"Wha-no, ah I mean...no, that isn't...errr...."

:smuggo:

So, yes, I am totally jumping on the hype train. I was an elf and a human. Gotta be racial diverse!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Only problem I've had with Origin so far is that when it installed it decided to disable or overwrite the launcher and the shortcuts I had for using the console in Dragon Age 2. That's just weird. I must assume it does that to other games.

Oh, and for some reason the sound in Dead Space 3 doubles in multiplayer so I hear everything twice unless I mute my co-op partner. I end up using Steam's voice-call to talk to my friends when we co-op an Origin game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

At this point, I might pre-order if things stay on track and there's some sort of deal around Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Once I get it, I'll let you guys know my thoughts. Be warned though, I tend to overlook the poo poo parts of games if there is at least one thing I can sink my teeth into.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

This is finally coming out, eh?

Welp, guess I gotta go and finally finish DA2.

Le SIGH.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I've never had any major problems with Origin and their support was incredibly helpful whenever I did have an issue, even giving me a free digital copy of a game when I lost the disc. Certainly not as irritating as Steam is right now, let alone what that thing was like back when it launched.

Then again, I do almost all my gaming on Xbox so console baby etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naf
Jul 3, 2007
I'm boycotting this game unless I have at least 7 gender identity/sexuality choices on character creation.

• Locked thread