Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Reapers like the personal touch of melting faces themselves.

Also they're looking to collect that sweet sweet sapient biomass, which they can hardly do if it has been incinerated in an asteroid bombardment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Maybe it's not too late to get my money back from GMG.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Maybe it's not too late to get my money back from GMG.

Don't kid yourself, you won't cancel your pre-order.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't mind them using hashtags like that, twitters a daft enough place and arseing around on it seems to be one of the more sensible things to do.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

Don't kid yourself, you won't cancel your pre-order.

:wink::sotw::yosbutt:

:negative:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 17, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If it makes you feel any better, he made the tag for his rear end in a top hat run, which started out mostly about tormenting Solas (Weekes wrote him). But then it became about butt sex with Iron Bull.

Bioware's writers got levels!

e: Before I forget, this is apparently the last week for Dragon Age: Keep beta signups. (Was that posted earlier?) Makes me think that the beta is going to wrap up before too much longer, so I guess we can expect a release soon.

Considering "soon" is October, that would make sense.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 17, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cythereal posted:

The game assumes that the Warden is not stupid.

An exceptionally dangerous assumption to be making whenever you're working with gamers. :black101:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nobody expects the anal inquisition.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HIJK posted:

Apparently the Keep beta has been giving out beta keys like candy corn in the past few hours with a Friend of a Friend program or something where users get to hand out keys to their besties. How the hell do we not all have access to the beta at this point? Good lord.

We don't have any friends.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
It does seem odd about our lack of keep beta testers, if the sample group was anyone who signed up. However I guess large groups were disqualified from the start? Like anyone in the EU for example.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I just happened to get a beta code today, but I'm so confused by it. It looks like you get the code and then are put on a priority wait list to get in? I still can't access the keep at this point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
I've been in the beta since June. :smugbert:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Leelee posted:

I just happened to get a beta code today, but I'm so confused by it. It looks like you get the code and then are put on a priority wait list to get in? I still can't access the keep at this point.

There's a private "Lobby" forum you can access (though not right now, as the Keep page that allows you to get to it appears to be under maintenance) that'll give you an idea of how long you'll have to wait; going from memory I think it says... 2 business days since you signed the NDA? Pretty sure.

I myself got mine on Tuesday, and I'm still waiting, however.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Cross-Section posted:

There's a private "Lobby" forum you can access (though not right now, as the Keep page that allows you to get to it appears to be under maintenance) that'll give you an idea of how long you'll have to wait; going from memory I think it says... 2 business days since you signed the NDA? Pretty sure.

I myself got mine on Tuesday, and I'm still waiting, however.

Happened to log on today and I'm in! Art is very pretty.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im not telling anyone to preorder, but if youre dumb enough (like I am) you can get it for 25% off at GMG once again (like I did).

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/dragon-age-inquisition-na/
with code 9I47I9-ZOM38L-ZGV9KW

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

KoB posted:

Im not telling anyone to preorder, but if youre dumb enough (like I am) you can get it for 25% off at GMG once again (like I did).

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/dragon-age-inquisition-na/
with code 9I47I9-ZOM38L-ZGV9KW

gently caress it, for 45€ I'm pre-ordering.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Here are the winners for the "Take your place in the Inquisition" contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0UqGbdDzTQ

They look nice.

Also, there is a twich feed happening now on the DA Keep: http://www.twitch.tv/bioware

Leelee fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 19, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also the 3rd and final part of the Skyhold series is up on the Bioware website.

quote:

[CL]: Exactly. When you sit on your throne in Skyhold, your advisors will bring a prisoner to you for judgment. Your advisor will read the charges and provide additional information before you have a chance to question the prisoner yourself. Then you'll be asked to decide their fate. Your choices won't be black and white, but shades in between. Set them free, recruit them into the Inquisition, execute them yourself, make them your court jester, or even make them Tranquil are just some examples of the sentences you can pass in a judgment.

[DA]: As with any decision, there may be repercussions to deal with, right?

[CL]: I'll say this: how you judge your enemies may have an impact on your Inquisition. For example, can you live with having an evil agent join the Inquisition if they make it more effective? Other sentences may affect side quests, operations, Skyhold itself, and even your closest companions, so choose wisely.

Sounds like this will be one of the ways you piss off companions if you want to alienate everyone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Also the 3rd and final part of the Skyhold series is up on the Bioware website.

Sounds like this will be one of the ways you piss off companions if you want to alienate everyone.

"Hey, guys...This is Morrigan, yeah. She tried to rape the last warden 13 years ago so she could give birth to a demon-possessed baby, oh and she also killed her mom, yeah, okay? Anyway, she's here now so when you get a chance drop by and say hello. She likes pie. Or maybe she's a lesbian and I just misheard a conversation."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder how many people will tranquil Morrigan if they get the chance.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Lotish posted:

I wonder how many people will tranquil Morrigan if they get the chance.
As if Gaider would let that happen to his precious waifu.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroop There It Is posted:

As if Gaider would let that happen to his precious waifu.

He'd let it happen, but it leads to a non-standard game over because you need Morrigan to save the world. A random sex scene may be involved.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's too bad Morrigan's starting to get up there in years. I'm not sure the regular BioWare fan would be interested in something older than a 25 year old.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

It's too bad Morrigan's starting to get up there in years. I'm not sure the regular BioWare fan would be interested in something older than a 25 year old.

She's only getting up there in years the same way your average anime 13 year old also happens to be a three thousand year old alien princess.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Drifter posted:

She's only getting up there in years the same way your average anime 13 year old also happens to be a three thousand year old alien princess.

Morrigan was an old god all along! :monocle:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

That means she's the final boss! Which means we can kill her!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Lotish posted:

turns out morrigan's baby was morrigan

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Opposing Farce posted:

turns out morrigan's baby was morrigan

we are all morrigan

:gonk:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lotish posted:

Making it a non-standard game over would have worked. The game could have done with a few, I think.

Like, there are a few points where you're talking to Alistair or someone where the topic of just loving off and leaving the country comes up. It would be nice if you could have just continued the dialogue tree into an epilogue that says "And then the Warden fled Ferelden and the Blight. Without her, the Blight soon swept across the country, unchecked by a disorganized and fractured nation. The Wardens of Orlais arrived too late to save Denerim or her people, and the Blight grew ever more terrible as it swept over the mountains and across the sea. As for the Warden who abandoned them? Well, no one really knows..."

Reminds me of this game's incredible early endings you can get. You can get this one during character creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8VefV3DO8

You can also marry the female party character at any time which lets you both say gently caress it to exploring/saving the world and retire. :D

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Non-standard game overs aren't really great solutions, since it's just one step up from saying "Why didn't the heroes do [reasonable thing that avoids the central conflict]? Because then there wouldn't be a story!". Few players get a non-standard game over and decide that that's their ending, it just means having to go back to wherever you made the wrong choice and make the other choice this time.

Ideally you write a story where all reasonable desires and choices the player might make are accommodated and explained, and save the non-standard game overs for jokes, easter eggs and outlandish things. In the case of going after Loghain immediately, it's a failing of the game if it didn't make it clear enough that you couldn't just waltz over to Denerim and top him since you still needed to prepare Fereldan for the Blight and that meant building up alliances in order to supplant him. Adding an option to try and having it cause a game over would be a frustrating way to learn that that's what you're supposed to think and just end up forcing the player to back-track and take a different option.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Alternatively they could have sequenced it in a way that you kill Loghain, everything gets hosed up in Denerim from the ensuing chaos and you have to get the help of Eamon/your other allies to unite Ferelden against the blight.

Of course this would require effort from Bioware's part because the final act would play out completely differently.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 20, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deltasquid posted:

Alternatively they could have sequenced it in a way that you kill Loghain, everything gets hosed up in Denerim from the ensuing chaos and you have to get the help of Eamon/your other allies to unite Ferelden against the blight.

Of course this would require effort from Bioware's part because the final act would play out completely differently.

Ultimately it's a question of resources on Bioware's part, even if in-setting killing Loghain early is possible. Which I'm not sure it is - I think it's a perfectly reasonable response from Bioware to say "No, Loghain would chop you into cat food at that level. Two fledgling Grey Wardens, a witch, a dog, and optionally a junior bard and qunari aren't going to be able to kill one of Ferelden's greatest war heroes right after Ostagar."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leelee posted:

Here are the winners for the "Take your place in the Inquisition" contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0UqGbdDzTQ

It's great that he gets to play a character everyone will despise as a dick for all time.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
It's not a reasonable thing at all though.

Loghain was/is one of the strongest warriors in Ferelden, and was surrounded by the elite of the elite after the kings death. The nobility believed what he said about the Grey Wardens because he was technically the only survivor. He had the trust, loyalty, and power he needed to run the country.

If you could sneak in to Denerim ( difficult, it was so locked up you couldn't get into it for several months after Ostagar even to just wander around the streets ), sneak into the Palace ( this is getting silly now ), sneak into his chambers/area of the palace ( again, lockdown is in place specifically to deal with "assassins". ), you'd still have to actually kill him.

At this point in the game, your Warden runs the gauntlet of "Has never been in a city before" to "Woke up every morning to servants.". They maybe killed their first anything at Ostagar, and their first humans at Lothering. Alistair, Morrigan, and even Sten are not much better. Leliana could maybe pull it off, but she implied in the past she had a crew backing her up for her assassinations, and your party isn't that. You aren't surviving a frontal assault on the Palace either, which would have been Sten/Morrigan's plan.

And this isn't even taking into account the consequences. Killing Loghain would have martyred him to the populace/nobility. His warnings about the Grey Wardens would have become real, and there would be no support for your war effort. Howe and his backers would take over, grow significantly, and nothing you did would change people's minds. The reason you "beat" Loghain when you do isn't because you stab him to death. It's because by that point in the game his argument of Warden traitors falls flat, as you've basically been army building/politicing specifically to fight the Darkspawn army again, and have noble friends. Eamon has a lot of sway, but not enough to force the nobility in Denerim to back double traitors. Hell with all the proof you had nothing to do with Ostagar, half the nobles still support Loghain just because they like the guy enough/gently caress Grey Wardens.

I mean gently caress that's all the proof you really need. Even with everything you do up to the Landsmeet, even with Eamon saying you are the real deal, even with all the proof you uncover that Loghain is a lying dick, you'd still lose the Landsmeet without convincing several nobles in person that Loghain is a traitor. You would not be able to convince anyone of anything if Loghain mysteriously disappeared after Ostagar/Wardens were seen in Denerim around the same time, which means in this wonderful alternate reality you created, Howe made things 10 times worse from Denerim to the Landsmeet, and then you have to stab him to death too because none of the nobility will back you. And then the nobility just calls you out for subverting the political process and you still have a lovely half army.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is the news part of their website loving up real bad for anyone else?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Reminds me of this game's incredible early endings you can get. You can get this one during character creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8VefV3DO8

You can also marry the female party character at any time which lets you both say gently caress it to exploring/saving the world and retire. :D

That sure is some lovely music for a game called Metal Saga.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I got Morrigan pregnant but she still left me at the end of the game. Flemmeth tried to steal my toaster and Leliana started playing the tuba.

Cythereal posted:

Ultimately it's a question of resources on Bioware's part, even if in-setting killing Loghain early is possible. Which I'm not sure it is - I think it's a perfectly reasonable response from Bioware to say "No, Loghain would chop you into cat food at that level. Two fledgling Grey Wardens, a witch, a dog, and optionally a junior bard and qunari aren't going to be able to kill one of Ferelden's greatest war heroes right after Ostagar."

Clearly you've never played the game if you don't think two mages could make mincemeat out of any warrior\group of warriors no matter how high leveled. :colbert:

Loghain would be like 'do you know who I am boy?!?!?!?' and then he would be instantly stunlocked forever as morrigan and mage-warden take turns freezing him over and over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I got Morrigan pregnant but she still left me at the end of the game. Flemmeth tried to steal my toaster and Leliana started playing the tuba.

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Clearly you've never played the game if you don't think two mages could make mincemeat out of any warrior\group of warriors no matter how high leveled. :colbert:

Loghain would be like 'do you know who I am boy?!?!?!?' and then he would be instantly stunlocked forever as morrigan and mage-warden take turns freezing him over and over.

Speaking of mages, Bioware's twitter updated with another card of spells:

Ice spells include Blink, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lotish posted:

Speaking of mages, Bioware's twitter updated with another card of spells:

Ice spells include Blink, I guess?

Because blink in WoW never, ever malfunctions :)

• Locked thread