Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Are you slow?

Poe's law. It always read like irony, I was just curious. You never know, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cythereal posted:

Garrus would completely agree if he had a reaction to that line. :v: He really, really hates Saren.

Garrus never says "Let's go get that human bastard!" about the Illusive Man or whoever though. It just seems like Ash is looking forward to shooting a Turian a little too much.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Most turians are assholes, Garrus is just one of the good ones.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As much as by-the-book cops are assholes. And truly, keeping you waiting because you forgot to fill out form 751-b is epitome of rear end in a top hat. Almost as bad as Vogons.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Garrus's romance is the best because Mordin tells you to not swallow with a completely straight face.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Krowley posted:

Most turians are assholes, Garrus is just one of the good ones.

She's not racist, she has a Turian friend you see.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Mymla posted:

Garrus's romance is the best because Mordin tells you to not swallow with a completely straight face.

Dammit now you're making me wish I went with FemShep!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AnimeJune posted:

Dammit now you're making me wish I went with FemShep!

I for one love his friendship with FemShep, but the romance just makes it very awkward in my opinion. I really like Garrus as Shepard's rock-solid second in command, probably her best friend in the galaxy, and very firmly uninterested in the contents of her pants.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Bioware's streaming the game here for Extra Life if anyone's interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/raptr

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember Dragon Age 2, but I really hate how in Dragon Age Origins as soon as you select a dialog option it'll skip whatever the other dude is currently saying. I've accidentally skipped through so many conversations that way.

I'd like to select things WHILE the person is speaking so there's no dead time in between dialog. I can read and listen at the same time you bastiches.

I hope DA3 isn't like that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Drifter posted:

I don't remember Dragon Age 2, but I really hate how in Dragon Age Origins as soon as you select a dialog option it'll skip whatever the other dude is currently saying. I've accidentally skipped through so many conversations that way.

I'd like to select things WHILE the person is speaking so there's no dead time in between dialog. I can read and listen at the same time you bastiches.

I hope DA3 isn't like that.

That's something they pretty much fixed in two, I thought?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FuriousGeorge posted:

Bioware's streaming the game here for Extra Life if anyone's interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/raptr

Pretty area, the one there're in there.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

God damnit, now I gotta go back and play ME2 now as femShep.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robzilla posted:

God damnit, now I gotta go back and play ME2 now as femShep.

Eh, just watch it on youtube

That said, Mass Effect is really a great series. :allears:

I may try to go through it again (with the requisite mining cheats or whatever) before Dragon Age. I got a month. I've only ever done Adept (mage supremacy) so perhaps I'll give Vanguard a shot.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Drifter posted:

Eh, just watch it on youtube

That said, Mass Effect is really a great series. :allears:

I may try to go through it again (with the requisite mining cheats or whatever) before Dragon Age. I got a month. I've only ever done Adept (mage supremacy) so perhaps I'll give Vanguard a shot.

That Salarian sounds an awful lot like Bill Hader. Which makes that scene even funnier.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Everyone should at least run through ME1 as a soldier once, just to see how hilarious it gets even at the highest difficulty. You melt everything under 2 seconds and you become literally invulnerable, it's such a huge powertrip.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Drifter posted:

Vanguard works fine but is kind of boring in ME1. It's miles better in 2, and the greatest in 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stroop There It Is posted:

Vanguard works fine but is kind of boring in ME1. It's miles better in 2, and the greatest in 3.

Aside from the, naturally best, playstyle of Adept in ME1, what's the next best class for ME1?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

Aside from the, naturally best, playstyle of Adept in ME1, what's the next best class for ME1?

I really like Engineer in ME1. What you bring to the table is the ability to completely gently caress people over. Not the best damage output or resilience, but sabotage and overload are wonderful tricks to spam.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah playing engineer turns pretty much every Geth encounter into a complete joke.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

paragon1 posted:

Yeah playing engineer turns pretty much every Geth encounter into a complete joke.

Also pirates. Sabotage doesn't help much versus krogan, but overload can.

The engineer's only real trouble spots are the few missions with hostile bugs and the plant zombies, which are immune to the engineer's powers. Those are infrequent enemies, fortunately.

Engineer Shepard even gets some class-specific lines in ME3's DLC because it's the most seldom-played class in the series.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The biggest design sins of Mass Effect 2:

They changed what was going to be the most interesting ammo system ever into a bog standard ammo system that every other FPS has had since the beginning of time.

Originally, the ammo system was going to work like it did in Mass Effect 1, but instead of having just one thermal clip/cooldown meter per gun, you'd have something like 3-5 clips you could rotate between. Overheat a clip? Either wait for it to cooldown or just rotate out for the next clip instantly. Clips on your belt would cool off much slower than clips in the gun, so the resource dilemma for ammo if a clip overheated would have effectively always been making the choice between waiting for your current overheated clip to cool back down in the heat of battle or changing out the overheated clip for more ammo right now at the cost of having to wait longer for that clip to cool down later on. It would have been a really interesting resource to manage I think. Instead, we got a completely boring, normal ammo system the devs just named "thermal clips" while still behaving exactly like normal ammo in every other game.

Also, each ability cooldown didn't just apply a cooldown to itself like they should have, they applied a cooldown to every one of your abilities. It was really stupid. Basically a long cooldown ability would stop you from using every single other trick you had up your sleeve until it was time to use the big ability again. It was retarded and cooldowns should have only affected their own abilities.

So basically, in some instances they followed the beaten path when they shouldn't have and at other times, they left it when they should've stayed on it. enabling infinite ammo and no cooldown cheats is the only way to play ME2.

I never played 3 so I couldn't tell you if things improved in that game or not.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 25, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wait, but is engineer something I'd have to play through for each game after ME1, then? Or can I do engineer and then vanguard for ME2 and 3?

Also, any particularly memorable specific lines in 3 for the engineer?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Pretty sure you can change classes at the start of each game even if you import saves from previous games.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Half the mod staff on the Dragon Age subreddit has just been fired over allegations of slut shaming. When did Bioware go from having the best fanbase in gaming to attracting this kind of subhuman scum?

In happier news, today's stream is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKSxPWkGFMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfKw2JYqCo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GreatGreen posted:

Pretty sure you can change classes at the start of each game even if you import saves from previous games.

You can, yeah. Even if you import saves you can change class and Shepard's appearance at the start of each.

quote:

Also, any particularly memorable specific lines in 3 for the engineer?

There's one class-specific line in vanilla ME3 when Liara talks about Shep and one of her comments describes Shepard in terms of his/her class, but in the Omega and Citadel DLCs it comes up a couple of times. In Citadel Shep will shush a lady explaining some technobabble by displaying his/her own command of technobabble, while in Omega Engineer Shep can shortcut a "big hard choice with no easy answer" by rerouting the whatsit to the whatchamacallit and reversing polarity on the thingamabob to save the day.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GreatGreen posted:

The biggest design sins of Mass Effect 2:

They changed what was going to be the most interesting ammo system ever into a bog standard ammo system that every other FPS has had since the beginning of time.

Originally, the ammo system was going to work like it did in Mass Effect 1, but instead of having just one thermal clip/cooldown meter per gun, you'd have something like 3-5 clips you could rotate between. Overheat a clip? Either wait for it to cooldown or just rotate out for the next clip instantly. Clips on your belt would cool off much slower than clips in the gun, so the resource dilemma for ammo if a clip overheated would have effectively always been making the choice between waiting for your current overheated clip to cool back down in the heat of battle or changing out the overheated clip for more ammo right now at the cost of having to wait longer for that clip to cool down later on. It would have been a really interesting resource to manage I think. Instead, we got a completely boring, normal ammo system the devs just named "thermal clips" while still behaving exactly like normal ammo in every other game.

Also, each ability cooldown didn't just apply a cooldown to itself like they should have, they applied a cooldown to every one of your abilities. It was really stupid. Basically a long cooldown ability would stop you from using every single other trick you had up your sleeve until it was time to use the big ability again. It was retarded and cooldowns should have only affected their own abilities.

So basically, in some instances they followed the beaten path when they shouldn't have and at other times, they left it when they should've stayed on it. enabling infinite ammo and no cooldown cheats is the only way to play ME2.

I never played 3 so I couldn't tell you if things improved in that game or not.

Much like reinventing the wheel, sometimes innovation for innovations sake is just a waste of everyone's time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

You can, yeah. Even if you import saves you can change class and Shepard's appearance at the start of each.

There's one class-specific line in vanilla ME3 when Liara talks about Shep and one of her comments describes Shepard in terms of his/her class, but in the Omega and Citadel DLCs it comes up a couple of times. In Citadel Shep will shush a lady explaining some technobabble by displaying his/her own command of technobabble, while in Omega Engineer Shep can shortcut a "big hard choice with no easy answer" by rerouting the whatsit to the whatchamacallit and reversing polarity on the thingamabob to save the day.

That's neat, because one of my big complaints playing through my Shepard the first time was that she was an Engineer, but literally no one acknowledged it. Like even though I'm theoretically one of the top combat engineers in the alliance, capable of hacking AI systems in instants and what not, everyone still had to explain techno-poo poo like my character was a stupid grunt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mass Effect 2's gameplay and combat design are really strong and complaining that it has, for instance, shared cooldowns betrays a total lack of understanding of how the combat in that game works. It's not particularly intuitive that using any ability starts a cooldown on all your abilities, but it's important to ME2's combat flow, which wants to emphasise moments of tension where you have to survive without resources as punctuation to unloading a clip, using medi-gel or casting a spell.

The cooldown on any given ability is rarely long - in a game that has no secondary resource gating the use of abilities, the shared cooldown system prevents players from alpha striking with their spells or putting them into constant rotation. The alternatives are introducing a mana bar or unilaterally increasing the cooldown on all abilities dramatically (Mass Effect 1 took this approach, and had the worse combat for it).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

That's neat, because one of my big complaints playing through my Shepard the first time was that she was an Engineer, but literally no one acknowledged it. Like even though I'm theoretically one of the top combat engineers in the alliance, capable of hacking AI systems in instants and what not, everyone still had to explain techno-poo poo like my character was a stupid grunt.

Yeah, in Citadel an NPC notes that she forgot Shepard was an engineer because all the propaganda just shows Shepard shooting people. :v:

Bioware said they put in those nods to Engineer Shep in Omega and Citadel specifically because it had been the least-played class by a good margin in all three games.

It's my personal favorite class in 3. Never been able to beat the game on insanity as any other class, or the mirror match arena in Citadel on veteran or harder.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cythereal posted:

It's my personal favorite class in 3. Never been able to beat the game on insanity as any other class, or the mirror match arena in Citadel on veteran or harder.

I thought it was pretty easy as an adept. Just spec for maximum biotic explosion synergy between skills and tear things up.

You basically never have to fire a gun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Adept supremacy.

How different from Adept class is the Engineer class? Does engineer just give you like a robot pet or something?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

How different from Adept class is the Engineer class? Does engineer just give you like a robot pet or something?

Kind of. You get summonable combat drones and a gun turret, as well as various debuffing powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

Kind of. You get summonable combat drones and a gun turret, as well as various debuffing powers.

Later in the trilogy, though. No drones in 1.

In 1, Adept powers mainly focus on physics fun while Engineer powers destroy shields and jam weapons and whatnot.

Engineer Shepard in 3 can get hilarious depending on what powers you pick. You can easily bring along three pets (two drones and a turret), potentially alongside a squadmate who gets two drones of her own.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Poe's law. It always read like irony, I was just curious. You never know, y'know.

My love is real, it is certainly not a joke.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Leelee posted:

What system specs do I need to run this game?

Literally built a computer to play this game - well, the dudes in SHSC did, I just listened to them and bought the stuff. I wouldn't mind other opinions since my only strong opinions on the matter are my budget (which this build is under) and if I can run the game at maximum with likely a buttload of mods. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/7LkMyc

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Half the mod staff on the Dragon Age subreddit has just been fired over allegations of slut shaming. When did Bioware go from having the best fanbase in gaming to attracting this kind of subhuman scum?

In happier news, today's stream is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKSxPWkGFMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfKw2JYqCo

Why the hell does the hair look so ugly compared to the nice faces.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Haha I remember David Gaider raging about "slutshaming" on the BSN forums when people mocked Isabella's lack of pants.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cythereal posted:

Later in the trilogy, though. No drones in 1.

In 1, Adept powers mainly focus on physics fun while Engineer powers destroy shields and jam weapons and whatnot.

Engineer Shepard in 3 can get hilarious depending on what powers you pick. You can easily bring along three pets (two drones and a turret), potentially alongside a squadmate who gets two drones of her own.

There was a very funny instance for me in 1 as an Engineer, on Feros, where two Geth Snipers were waiting on this platform over a door. They start aiming for you when you enter pretty much first thing. I cast AI hacking on one, and they both immediately target each other. Because of where they are they can't move, so they both turn at the waist and big red lasers appear and they instantly kill each other. Really wish I had a .gif of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why the hell does the hair look so ugly compared to the nice faces.

I wish I knew man. I mean, look at this:

Roll Qunari so people will be looking at your horns instead of your awful, awful hair.

• Locked thread