Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Thundercracker posted:

How are dialogs handled? DA:Origins "Tell me more" or DA2 emotion-wheel?

Combination of the two. You get the wheel, but when you hover over an option it shows the full quote of what you're going to say so you don't get the weird rear end "Why the hell did he say that" thing that DA2 and mass effect had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Internet Kraken posted:

I just noticed captain mustache casually freaking out in the background.

Obviously that's his beer you just knocked over.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

WeaponBoy posted:

Personally, I'm hopeful because I'm a naive idiot and I think that after DA2 and ME3 they're very interested in not looking like idiots for a third time in a row.

You forgot SWTOR. So... too late?

Torrannor posted:

If I understand this Dragon Age Keep thing right, at the moment you can only apply to join the beta at a later date, right?

Right.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Or I guess to be more accurate "living in the Dragon Age setting helps you along."

Officially, it's living within a hundred miles of Kirkwall that helps you along.

I kind of like that they slipped in an official explanation for "Why are all of these people crazy goddamn idiots?" Shows that someone on the team had some self awareness.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Darkrenown posted:

Did he? He only joins you after you give him the endless flask of water (which he empties) to put himself out for a little while and seemed relieved about it.

That's more just to get his attention really. He's cool with joining his old teacher to go burn some mothers down, but he's too busy checking out how awesome being a living conduit to the plane of fire is to realize anyone's talking to him. He's batshit crazy, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Torrannor posted:

Or perhaps Qunari cannot become rogues? That would probably fit better, we know about Sareebas, and it is difficult to imagine Qunari sneaking around.

Oddly enough, the Arishok was a rogue according to the game files.

Plus there was that qunari that sniped to crazy priestess lady in the chantry. That guy was stealthy as gently caress.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 21, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leelee posted:

We already know they're going to lock dwarves out of being mages, so I don't see the issue in locking Qunaris out of being mages as well. Unless you get to play as like...Sandal or something and become the first dwarven mage.

That would be the only circumstance in which I would forgive Bioware if there was suddenly dwarven mages. Your only dialogue is "enchantment".

Oh goddamnit. I just realized that Sandal's gonna turn out to be the mastermind behind the entire "Hole into the fade" thing isn't he. That's what they've been building up to this entire time. :argh:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Anders is an irrational rear end in a top hat with a martyr complex who neither knows nor cares what the costs of his crusade may be, but that doesn't make him a bad character.

Yes it does. Every one of those things makes him a bad character, because every one of those things was terribly written.

I really wish people would stop claiming that 'Just because you don't like him it doesn't make him a bad character, you're supposed to not like him.' Because it's crap. People don't think he's a bad character because they dislike him, they dislike him because he's a terrible character. You're supposed to be able to sympathize with him, that's why there's a chance to spare his life at the end. He's supposed to be a tragic, glorious hero that does terrible things for the greater good. Instead he's a whining shithead that contradicts himself every other conversation and doesn't do anything but make things worse.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 25, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
^^ Nope. It's a 'chaste marrage'. Clergy of Andraste are allowed to get married, but they still aren't allowed to have sex if they do. It does allow him to needle Carver about being his brother-in-law though.

The Crotch posted:

Hey, can we talk about Gamlen for a minute? I mean, sure, he gambled away your mom's house, but holy poo poo is your family ever terrible to him. The Hawkes spend over a year living in his giant-rear end house, never once cleaning it, never once paying rent, never once paying for their own food.

I always felt really bad for that dude.

This came up in the DA2 LP that's going on right now. The general consensus was that Gamlen's kind of a scumbag, but he he does his best to make up for that. Also, that Leandra needs to get the hell off her high horse.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 30, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still, it's not like the proud warrior archetype who becomes the leader of his nation hasn't been done before. Except for Wrex, and Canderous (that one is Obsidian, but it still counts considering that Canderous was a Bioware creation). I mean, I thought that the Qunari were supposed to be sorted into their societal roles based on aptitude tests. How the hell does a Sten who was part of the Baresaad suddenly get promoted to one of the triumvirate that control the Qunari nation? Isn't he fixed to his position as Sten?

Don't think to hard about the internal consistency of the Qunari. You'll give yourself an aneurysm.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Bored posted:

I'm pretty sure the big demon you fight after you fight the 3 (or was it 2?) ghost demon things is what is lurking under kirkwall.

Xebenkeck the Undying. It, along with Gaxkang the Unbound from DA:O and two other demons named The Formless One and Imshael that we haven't seen yet were the ones that originally taught humans blood magic.

It's definitely a good candidate for having a blood magic summoning array the size of a city dedicated to it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

Doesn't the Legacy DLC explicitly say that Dumat the Old God taught the Tevinters blood magic?

Yeah, it does. It's also implied that the Elves did it and that's why they all used to be immortal. The lore is rather contradictory on that point. I favor the theory that Gaxkang and co. did it, since they are demons, but it could be one of the other options.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

What implied the Elves immortality was blood magic? The only major thing I remember was that they didn't age until humans settled near them.

The Imperial Chantry. And, to be fair, they probably know more about blood magic than anyone else.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

kingcom posted:

More than the Tevinter Imperium?

The Imperial Chantry. Not the Chantry of Andraste.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 3, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HenessyHero posted:

Not sure if I saw this posted here yet, contains some info regarding the fortresses I hadn't read before.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/dragon-age-inquisition-first-look-on-returning-characters-and-open-world-fortresses/

quote:

Dragon Age II is, in essence, the story of a revolutionary cell forming in a backwater town.

What? How in the hell does someone get that from DA2?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

01011001 posted:

I guess if you ignore everything but the mage/templar bit and are trying as hard as you can to twist it in a way that makes it come off positively then you might get that out of it?

No. I'm still not getting the revolutionary cell bit.

Hell, I'm not even getting the backwater town bit. Kirkwall is a major city. Are we sure this guy's talking about DA2?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

Wasn't Kirkwall supposed to be some sort of major port?

The Freemarches produce most of Thedas' food. And Kirkwall is the biggest port in the Freemarches. It's one of the most important cities in Thedas.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

sassassin posted:

Bit starved for party members, though. Nathaniel said he'd rather hang than join the wardens, and I'm not that cruel, so he was hanged. I guess he was my rogue.

A rogue yeah. You'll get another one if you go investigate the drunk hunters.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
^^ Sort of. The joining is technically a blood magic ritual. He's trying to find a way to make that ritual do more than give people nightmares and let them know when darkspawn get too close.

Lotish posted:

Assuming that isn't just a stupid oversight, it would suggest that the taint's inherently magical qualities can connect a dwarf to the Fade, allowing them to use magic. Which would beg the question about why a dwarven Grey Warden could not develop magical powers. Or perhaps that's how we get dwarves like Sandal.

Well, we know the taint does connect to the fade, that's why Grey Wardens have nightmares all the time. Because they're hooking into the darkspawn... well, hivemind doesn't fit but it's the closest word I can think of. Collective consciousness?

Actually, that raises another good point: Why don't dwarven Wardens freak out over those nightmares more? Since, I'm pretty sure normally dwarves don't dream at all. They don't have a strong enough connection to the fade.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 8, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arkeus posted:

All wardens can use Blood Magic freely, though Tevinter ones would probably have easier access to Blood Magic Lore.

Well, it's less 'freely' and more 'The templars have to arrange for an "accident" instead of openly murdering you.' See: Ser Rylock in Awakening.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arkeus posted:

My motivation is that there are specific quests in the game that are only available if you import certain types of saves.

So, sure, let's make a "default" where a couple of quests per act are not available because gently caress those people who don't have a save ready (in DA2 it was like that).

Well, yes. They do want you to buy the other games, so they incentivize doing so.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

sassassin posted:

It probably causes issues with quest completion/the final armies.

Yeah, if you don't have enough persuasion, you can get hosed out of the mages and the templars.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Sharmat posted:

This...this is an actual line? I mean, you're not joking?

Despair.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HenessyHero posted:

There are a few questionable decisions that I've made that I want to see played out, like killing the Architect

How is that questionable? Fighting to save the horrible plague beasts that kill or mutate every living thing around them just by existing, can only reproduce by kidnapping and gangraping women until they mutate into horrible monsters and literally came into being because God decided "You know what? gently caress all you guys, I'm out" is not the right decision.

Hell, the first time you meet him he kidnaps you, strips you naked, steals your blood and then says that he wants to be your friend. This is not the basis of a good relationship.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Doublehex posted:

Also take into consideration that he had no idea how you would react under any circumstance. Still not the wises idea, but somewhat understandable given the context.

The novels show him to be doing his thing well before Alastair was born. If he hasn't picked up on the fact that people don't like it when you steal their blood in the last thirty years, he's never going to.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HenessyHero posted:

his stated ambitions are to free all darkspawn from the group mind/intrinsic impulse that he was born without, since apparently freed darkspawn are just as sapient as the other races, and this will end the cycle of blights.

Okay, sure he's got good intentions, I agree. But when you look at his track record you've got, in the wins column, a bunch of people that make Oghren look like an intellectual, are almost as aggressive toward normal people as regular darkspawn are and are still spreading the taint. In the losses column, we have The Mother and the Fifth Blight. And that's just what we know about. So he's got good intentions, but they aren't buying him any sympathy. At best he's child playing with a live nuke that's already gone off twice. He needs to be put down for everyone's safety.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leelee posted:

I don't think the Exalted March actually happens though- I thought it said that the Empress was only considering it?

Even if they did, what would it accomplish? You can't lay siege to Orzammar, they only things they import are luxury goods. You'd still be there a decade later and they'd be no worse off.

And Orlais doesn't have the troops to sack the city. Most of an Exalted Marches power froms from Chevaliers and Templars, both of which are worse than useless in this situation. Chevaliers are heavy cavalry. You know what you call a horse in tunnel fighting? Lunch. It's the worst battlefield possible for them. And the Templars are all reliant on lyrium to keep from going crazy. Lyrium that comes from the dwarves. You'd have until a week after your stored reserves run out before half your army goes batshit.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a country of goofballs. Got it.

Imagine all of the worst parts of French nobility over the centuries cherry picked and packed together. That's Orlais.

Torrannor posted:

I don't know. I did a playthrough with sarcastic Hawke, and aside from the situation where somebody just died or was tortured it was not that bad. The jokes fell flat a few times but overall it wasn't bad. I learned to be diplomatic or aggressive in these situations.

I enjoyed playing a character that absolutely was not taking this poo poo seriously. I felt it fit the game better than the other two. Probably wouldn't be as enjoyable in a game that didn't have so many obvious problems though.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PureRok posted:

The FAQ in the OP doesn't answer my question, even though it has the question in there: "Will I be able to import my saves from my old Dragon Age Games?"

It just links to this thing where I can make decisions. Can I still import my saves? I've been storing them carefully.

No. There were issues in porting from DA2 to DA:I so they decided to just set up a website, which isn't up yet hence the join the beta survey, where you can generate a save game with whatever past decisions you want.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

epitasis posted:

OK, to quash this, I was just asking where he got this:

, which to me sounds like a definitive statement that there would not be any save file importing.

Stands to reason what they'll end up doing is letting you import a save file into their website and just have it autofill what's already changeable anyway.

I thought there had been a definite statement. Sorry, guess I was mistaken.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HenessyHero posted:

What's on the other end of the slider? German Barry White?

Brian Blessed

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

omg chael crash posted:

I just read the first issue of the Dragon Age comic "The Silent Grove" and it was god awful. I'm guess they're all this bad?

That's actually probably the best one of the lot.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

Nevarra: Dragon killer central, not too sure what they're supposed to be drawn from, Mongols maybe?

Prussia is the usual guess. Also, Nevarra's big thing since the dragons basically went extinct is state sanctioned necromancers. And mummies.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

KittyEmpress posted:

It feels like half the world was written before they decided that mages should be a risky thing.

So it turns out that if you don't lock people in a prison from childhood and teach them every day that they're eventually going to turn into monsters and kill everyone, then they're less likely to turn into monsters and kill everyone. Who knew?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Raygereio posted:

Sadly no. If you suggest your dog as a champion Eamon will say "I'm afraid we can't leave the fate of all Ferelden up to your dog. Anyone with a leftover ham bone could buy his allegiance. Choose someone else."
The tone at which he says that is brilliant, you can hear the facepalm.

It really does need to be heard.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Nichael posted:

They are. It gets colder as the locales get more southern.

they pretty much just flipped the map upside down.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Torrannor posted:

The newest expansion, Rajas of India, let's you play Buddhists, Hinduists and Jains.

Looking at this DLC, it apparently gives me the option of conquering Europe with Militant Buddhist war elephants. loving sold.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

pentyne posted:

Dragon Age 2 didn't fail, it sold a few million, more then most games that aren't CoD.

First off, no. It didn't. It sold less than two million. Second, success is a relative thing. Would most games be happy to sell nearly two million copies? Holy poo poo yes, they'd be ecstatic. But for a Bioware AAA title? It bombed so hard that they canceled the DLC they had planned and just threw all their resources into Inquisition.

Let me reiterate: It sold so badly that Electronic Arts didn't want to make DLC for it. I didn't even know that was possible until then.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

SgtSteel91 posted:

Judging from the E3 demo, blood splatters are back, but I don't think exploding bodies from sword attacks are in. Bodies can explode from magic though.

Iron Bull totally made a dude explode. I think that might have been a shatter combo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

CottonWolf posted:

so that new players won't have the situation where a character from previous games appears and they have no idea who they are or why they should care about what they're talking about.

Oh bullshit. Why can't they just admit that it's an anti-piracy thing?

• Locked thread