Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm amazed how much people outside SA liked the trailer. Uncanny valley Morrigan spewing generic crap about destiny. And talking to the camera, which has to be the most embarrassingly cheesy thing of all. It makes you cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Firstly, I am aware. That is why I said "ever happen". Mages cannot be contained effectively by any law or oversight. The ability to circumvent the law and abuse their fellow man in an untraceable fashion is a fundamental part of their existence.

Two, the impossibility of perfection is not a reason to shy from "better". Less mages is always better.

Third, religion is the only force at this stage in history that can plausibly enact any solution. The drugs are necessary because mages are simply Humans But Better Than, and due process is worthless when your subject matter has an invisible gun in their head that you can't tell who they're pointing it at, leaves no evidence, and can also mind control people.

Fourth, demons do not work that way. They aren't human, they aren't the Gods of Warhammer Fantasy. They are Fey. If they see an opportunity, they take it and exploit it according to their nature because they can be no other. Less mages would just give them less opportunities.

But mages=better doesn't work. There will always be fewer mages, and from everything we see in game they aren't that hard to kill. If they were so dangerous, Tevinter would rule the world, or demons would already have flooded it. Society presumably dealt with the problem successfully for millennia before Templars and their abilities even existed. Magic is dangerous but it's not an I-win button

And the game still does nothing to sell us on the danger. The absolute worst case oh poo poo scenario we see is that the goo from amnesia takes over a tower, before the Templars contain it as they're supposed to and a team of four (exceptional) guys wades straight on through. The worst thing we ever hear about is Kirkwall - is an ongoing, industrial scale genocide really worth it just to avoid the possibility of fantasy Aztecs or Roman thought police? Ones that were put down by conventional means anyway, and committed crimes whose non magical equivalents could be common enough anyway on the basis of religion or politics or whatever?

Edit - It's basically Mass Effect all over again. Mages will always rise up and too many people will die. So we built these spaceships will hunt down and murder tens of thousands of teenagers every year to make sure nobody dies. Thedas is the Reaper homeworld :speculate:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 29, 2013

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I imagine it comes from him having a crush on the player character in dark fantasy adult Hogwarts. Then the demon outbreak fills out the tortured past section and makes him a broken, traumatised bird whose love was cut short. And then Kirkwall causes him to doubt even the templars, and the the DA3 PC can heal him and its all so angsty and romantic and tragic.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Justice was terrible in DA2 because they never emphasised him at all. He boiled down to 'a thing that happens when Anders gets mad'. Everything else, like the Chantry 9/11, was done in cold blood, so why have Justice at all? There is nothing that Anders as a one of a kind abomination does that Anders couldn't do as a regular person, and his possession has no real bearing on him being a dumb revolutionary anyway. I don't know, maybe you can say there's a subtle influence that drives him off the deep end, but even that sounds like a handwave for his total shift in character.

But he's possessed by a twisted spirit and sometimes he can't control it and angst angst angst :jerkbag:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Good, the more time they take to actually try and develop what should be the loving Carnegie Hall of Realpolitik the better. If Orlais is supposed to be the place where Nobles are so fascinated by the game of thrones that they openly welcome bards as an exciting thrill they could possibly manipulate to their favor, than Bioware better sell it's soul to Obsidian Satan bring its A game in showing off that high society House of Cards to us.

Given the tone of that letter they put out written by the Orlesian party member, Bioware thinks Cersei Lannister is the height of snarky political genius.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's kind of annoying that there's so much that games can't do because everything must be balanced around people going beep boop max grognard efficiency.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Heavy reliance on generic areas, recycling of said generic areas, lovely sidequests, boring loot. Meatgrinder gameplay against total chump enemies, need I go on? Mass Effect 1 is like the poster child for style over substance. Half it's characters are either A) Talking almanacs for <insert species> or B) Recycled Bioware Character. The actual gunplay was pretty poo poo too. Those last two criticisms were Mass Effect 1 specific and not shared issues in case it wasn't clear.

Just wanted to make it clear that I think a lot of beloved Bioware games have serious problems that are overshadowed by what they [i]do[/] do well. With Bioware, the majority of their strength is in presentation though as a general rule.

Of all the things ME1 did poorly, bad sidequests were not one of them. Yes, the areas were copypaste/random height maps. But they often played out in unique ways. After going through lovely prefab bunker #27 you might have to talk down a terrorist with a hostage, or decide what to do with a band of rogue scientists.

It was far better than what 2 had. Sure, the second game had pretty areas. But I can't think of more than 2 missions where you didn't just land, kill all the dudes and leave. The fact that the same three mercenary companies ran every site in the galaxy didn't help with the sense of scale, either. And then of course three more or less cut sidequests altogether.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I decided the books were bullshit the moment they decided Cailan was super competent all along and just putting it on for the troops. So all Logain's doubts meant nothing and apparently the king was so super secret he didn't even let on to his closest advisor.

Couldn't have a book protaganist with any actual flaws I guess, god forbid.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

His purpose was to be an audience surrogate for new players jumping into the series at the third game.

Which wouldn't be a bad idea, but the only audience surrogate role I remember him taking was once asking what was up with krogan hating everyone. To which Garrus replied genophage salarian etc :words: - so a new player would be totally lost anyway.

Vega was a wasted opportunity in that he never really did much for new players, and that he never really showed much development in response to learning all about the galaxy in newbies' shoes. Just 'yep, I want to be a space marine'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Force was only set up to be kept terrible by Lucas or salvaged by Obsidian because the prequels made it into a dumb video gamey, power-levelled ~magic system~ in the first place :colbert:

• Locked thread