Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
That's it exactly! Thank you! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TechnoSyndrome posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ftg87dJdL7Y

Some Japanese guys remade the E3 trailer with Grand Theft Auto V and it's fantastic.

I love this.
Codetalker was my favourite part though. That middle finger is awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, that video is amazing. I like the part where they recreated Snake sneaking around on the rooftops of the military base--almost shot-for-shot.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Armstrong has a 4 finger model during the final fight. I just noticed this tonight.

e: i was drunk and couldn't see foreshortening. Also very dumb.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 18, 2014

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

jerkstoresup posted:

Armstrong has a 4 finger model during the final fight. I just noticed this tonight.

e: i was drunk and couldn't see foreshortening. Also very dumb.

I think I'm the only one but I haven't finished MGR because I thought fighting the senator was stupid as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

I think I'm the only one but I haven't finished MGR because I thought fighting the senator was stupid as hell.

I don't get how you could get to the end of MGR and go "this is stupid as hell" instead of "this is exactly what I expect from this game."

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TheMostFrench posted:

I thought it was challenging and fun and immensely rewarding to finally complete but *MASSIVE SHRUG ENHANCED BY MILLIONS OF NANOMACHINES*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senator Armstrong is a light-hearted parody of Metal Gear and if you don't quite twig that from the go, he probably comes across as awful.
That's a certifiably wrong opinion though, because Armstrong is amazing.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I spent hours trying to beat him the first time. I hated him. So he is a perfect end game boss.

He is glorious :swoon:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So I finished MGS1 earlier today, should I go straight into MGS2/3/PW/4 or should I jump through Revengeance first? I got a bit of headway through the tanker but I'm wondering if it's worth breaking it up a bit with extreme silliness, rather than a little bit of silliness.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

So I finished MGS1 earlier today, should I go straight into MGS2/3/PW/4 or should I jump through Revengeance first? I got a bit of headway through the tanker but I'm wondering if it's worth breaking it up a bit with extreme silliness, rather than a little bit of silliness.

It's definitely best to make your way though the main series first, if just for the fact that Rising spoils the poo poo out of most everything in MGS4.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

S-Alpha posted:

It's definitely best to make your way though the main series first, if just for the fact that Rising spoils the poo poo out of most everything in MGS4.

I finished MGS4 on release; I got a PS3 specifically for it, but haven't played it since then. I've never played 2/3 or PW though.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Senator Armstrong is a great boss except for when he starts jump kicking your face in constantly when you're trying to go for No Damage on Revengence.

:(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DON'T gently caress WITH THIS SENATOR *Disembodied cheers*

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

I, Butthole posted:

I finished MGS4 on release; I got a PS3 specifically for it, but haven't played it since then. I've never played 2/3 or PW though.

Play 2 at the least, it introduces a lot of the plotlines continued in Rising. If you're going to play PW, be sure to play 3 first.

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 18, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Armstrong is a great boss except for when he starts jump kicking your face in constantly when you're trying to go for No Damage on Revengence.

That entire 2:30 unarmed section where you have to dodge every single thing.:negative:

Though in all honesty, if you have it down, it's pretty easy. Raiden's unarmed dodge set is probably more effective than his armed one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you've already played the other games, then, uh, do whatever you want? I mean, Metal Gear Rising is an action game that plays in the same fiction as Metal Gear Solid, but besides that, I'm not sure it actually fits in any particular slot if you're doing a "whole series playthrough" or anything of that ilk.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

It has to be this way.

WHERE'S MY REVENGEANCE: WITH A VENGEANCE KONAMI

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If you've already played the other games, then, uh, do whatever you want? I mean, Metal Gear Rising is an action game that plays in the same fiction as Metal Gear Solid, but besides that, I'm not sure it actually fits in any particular slot if you're doing a "whole series playthrough" or anything of that ilk.

"But tovarisch, you have to play them in order, it's the 'Rules of Nature'; 'It Has to be This Way.' If you don't go through the 'Stains of Time' in order, you should 'Return to Ashes'."

In all seriousness, though, the spoilers generated from playing MGRR out of order are forgiven for the gameplay, especially the way the music ramps up, calms down, and just gives energy to the boss fights, even after your 18th try in avoiding every hit from every typhoon.

Or just get the MGRR OST and load it into MGS3/PW. You'll lose some music in the mix, there, but your Mk2/custom fights could always use some spicing up. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now someone do BayonettaxMGR crossover trailer fast.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I love MGRR because I can shut my brain off, get into a zen-like state and kick rear end to an awesome OST. It's the first game of this kind where I fully understand the parry/dodge system and can use it with full confidence. Maybe it was the choppy framerate of Bayonetta on PS3 but I never really felt exactly sure of what I was doing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So is Ground Zeroes worth £19, or should I hold on for the price to go down more?

I've been really indecisive about it - I'm talking about the 360 version here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

So is Ground Zeroes worth £19, or should I hold on for the price to go down more?

Keep waiting. It's just gonna get cheaper.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The main story is really short, but it has a surprising amount of replay value. Lots of stuff to find and do you likely won't have noticed the first time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

OldMemes posted:

It's good but it'll be dirt cheap in the near future, especially if you get it used.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Haha, near the end I think for MGS3 for the first time and the sorrow taunting you with the bomb counter is hilarious

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sigma-X posted:

Haha, near the end I think for MGS3 for the first time and the sorrow taunting you with the bomb counter is hilarious

I always thought he was trying to help you by letting you know how much time you had left. He gives you the unlock cell codec, after all. The Sorrow's a bro.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah but in this case he's got a big grin on his face.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah but in this case he's got a big grin on his face.

He always does. He's never not smiling.

And The Joy never changes her stony frown. :buddy:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

What a cute couple. A perpetually happy personification of sadness and a perpetually grumpy personification of happiness.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Am I crazy or does Skullface's inflection when he's talking to Chico at the beginning sound just like Volgin? Then it manages to fly all over the place and go into different accents in later scenes, but still.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

DeathChicken posted:

Am I crazy or does Skullface's inflection when he's talking to Chico at the beginning sound just like Volgin? Then it manages to fly all over the place and go into different accents in later scenes, but still.

I am so convinced it is Volgin. The backstory of being burned as a child could still count because he had hosed up skin as Volgin anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Skullface is a real skinny dude, though, and Volgin was a gigantic brute. Now, he could have lost the muscle over the years, sure, but he also lost his uncontrollable lightning?

Maybe he's Major Raikov.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

OldMemes posted:

I'm a cheapskate and at this point I'm just going to wait for Phantom Pain instead.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Veg posted:

I am so convinced it is Volgin. The backstory of being burned as a child could still count because he had hosed up skin as Volgin anyway.

I was trying to remember the other day when I watched the hospital escape- When you beat Volgin on the Shagohad, doesn't he catch on fire and just kind of slump down dead?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

I was trying to remember the other day when I watched the hospital escape- When you beat Volgin on the Shagohad, doesn't he catch on fire and just kind of slump down dead?

He was struck by lightning, caught fire and the ammo he carried cooked off.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If the themes of the game include phantom pains and a group of chracters called 'those who don't exist' it could be a living memory sort of thing. If Ishmael is meant to be a figment of BB's imagination it might explain why they can both see 'Volgin' in the hospital. Many of the things like the flaming unicorn could be things that only BB sees.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The one agent tape makes it hard to believe its Volgin. After all he would have no reason to hate Zero more than Big Boss yet Skullface is going out of his way to gently caress Zero and sees Snake as a bonus. It just doesn't make sense for Volgin to become a small American man who hates Zero after being burned instead of going after the legacy again.

mascotte
Mar 21, 2013

Ling-Ling here to destroy all! And give children seizure!
I really don't get why people can't accept Skullface being a new character, or all the other characters for that matter. Isn't that more interesting than having someone we've already seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mascotte posted:

I really don't get why people can't accept Skullface being a new character, or all the other characters for that matter. Isn't that more interesting than having someone we've already seen?

Japanese video game writing very, very commonly has mysterious masked/scarred/awkward "new" characters that end up very brazenly being a returning character from a previous game/earlier in the game like an hour into the game. But then the truth is revealed to the rest of the characters and the player towards the end like it's a huge revelation, and we should be shocked despite really heavy handed foreshadowing. Check out Aria of Sorrow, Lords of Shadow, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4, Fire Emblem Awakening, Silent Hill 3, dozens of fighting games, you don't even have to look too far outside of Konami or the Metal Gear series itself for this.

I would prefer he be a completely new character but I'd be shocked if he is.

• Locked thread