Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I hope this game has some of that action movie ridiculousness when it's not trying too hard to have things to say about race. My absolute favourite Metal Gear games have been Peace Walker and Revengeance, not just because they are really fun, but because that weird humor that touches the part of my brain that wants to watch Pacific Rim again.

Also if anyone's still on the fence about Peace Walker, there are Monster Hunter crossover missions where you can shoot missiles at a Tigrex, and there are also lots of missions you can complete equipped with nothing but a banana and a bunch of balloons. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

I found this version of Sins of the Father without the trailer sound effects and voiceover. It's an excellent addition to the songs of the series.

Sins of the Father

Composer: Akihiro Honda
Lyrics: Ludvig Forssell
Vocals: Donna Burke

quote:

Pride feeds their blackened hearts
And the thirst must be quenched through hypocrisy.
Cleansing flame is the only way to repent.
Renounce what made you.

Words that kill, would you speak them to me?
With your breath so still it makes me believe.

The sins never die, can't wash this blood off our hands.
Let the world fear us all. It's just means to an end.
Our salvation lies in the father's sins.
Beyond the truth, let me suffer now.

In my heart I just know that there's no way to light up the dark in his eyes.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mortalwombat posted:

I found this version of Sins of the Father without the trailer sound effects and voiceover. It's an excellent addition to the songs of the series.

Sins of the Father

Composer: Akihiro Honda
Lyrics: Ludvig Forssell
Vocals: Donna Burke

Oh cool! Thanks for posting this.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you can instantaneously regenerate health COD-style anytime, whats the incentive to use stealth? MGS4 was too easy because they made it convenient to shoot your way through.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

POOPS is my favorite Metal Gear acronym.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

What's the point of stealth if you cannot die with rations equipped?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bholder posted:

What's the point of stealth if you cannot die with rations equipped?
Excluding 4 and Peace Walker, you could only carry a limited number of them and only if you planned ahead and avoided combat and taking damage. Thus the incentive to stay stealthy. 3 had the best system though. You were a bullet-sponge, the trade off being health items were rare to nonexistent so you had to rely on keeping your stamina up. You weren't getting that health back anytime soon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AASman posted:

If you can instantaneously regenerate health COD-style anytime, whats the incentive to use stealth? MGS4 was too easy because they made it convenient to shoot your way through.

I'm not sure having more choices in gameplay was a particularly bad development in MGS4. It's pretty easy to stealth virtually any game where they give you the tranquilizer gun anyway.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Isn't the main idea about the regenerating health is that you have realitevly small health and you need to... you know... HIDE?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bholder posted:

Isn't the main idea about the regenerating health is that you have realitevly small health and you need to... you know... HIDE?
Gears of War has the same system. If by "hide" you mean take cover for a couple of seconds so you can get back to shooting.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Wasn't the demo shown last week on very easy? If you play on a proper difficultly it might regen much slower (or not at all). Maybe it won't regen in alert mode or something so you can't use it COD-style?

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

AASman posted:

If you can instantaneously regenerate health COD-style anytime, whats the incentive to use stealth?

Because it might be more fun to use stealth than to gun through everyone? There may also be possibility to get a better ranking for completing the missions stealthily. (You know, the pointless stuff)
However, I think you are forgetting that it was possible to gun through (sans infinitely spawning guards) MGS games before, but it was really awkward because of the terrible controls...

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Is it really that awful to have more options on how to tackle different problems? It would be one thing if they were taking stealth out entirely, but we already know they aren't. I really don't see what the big deal is.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AASman posted:

I don't think they've said health instantaneously regenerates. It may be like MGS3 where your health regenerates, but it regens so slow as to basically be nonexistent during prolonged firefights.

MGS3 was also the game that allowed you to throw live poisonous snakes and scorpions on enemies for shits and giggles. If both of those make it to MGS5 I will be ecstatic.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
If the enemies can make a decent effort at flushing you out of cover I can see the health regen working fine. It's a balancing act for sure but I'm glad they're not just leaning on the way they did it in the past. In fact I kinda hope Kojima played Revengeance and was like "oh poo poo people are going to expect Metal Gear to be this fluid from now on"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thought MGS 4 was a PS3 exclusive due to the Blu-Ray being supposedly the only way to hold all the data or something, yet this is coming out on current and next Gen consoles?

Is there a reason MGS 4 wasn't multi-console? If the 360 can handle the FOX Engine, surely it could handle MGS 4?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldMemes posted:

I thought MGS 4 was a PS3 exclusive due to the Blu-Ray being supposedly the only way to hold all the data or something, yet this is coming out on current and next Gen consoles?

Is there a reason MGS 4 wasn't multi-console? If the 360 can handle the FOX Engine, surely it could handle MGS 4?
From what I understand PS3 and 360 have very different infrastructures and MGS4 was designed specifically around the PS3's hardware. Porting it over to the 360 would have been too much work. They worked on Peace Walker instead.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I've got to admit in MGS4 when things went to poo poo and I broke out the hardware that it was satisfying hitting that COMBAT HIGH and being told off for your bloodthirst over codec.

AASman posted:

From what I understand PS3 and 360 have very different infrastructures and MGS4 was designed specifically around the PS3's hardware. Porting it over to the 360 would have been too much work. They worked on Peace Walker instead.

Basically this. It was nigh on impossible porting a game like MGS4 across because of the way it was built. The other thing with FOX is that it's been designed to scale well and all that stuff. MGS4's code was allegedly a bit of a dog's breakfast.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

AASman posted:

So MGS 4 could work on the 360, but would need to be altered? Shame they don't do the altering and just make the port, they'd make their money back, easy. Why not just just have a different team work on a port, like how the HD Collection was done by a different group? That, and a port of Portable Ops, and MGS 1 on Live Arcade would be great - it would be nice to have the full story in one place, you know?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldMemes posted:

and a port of Portable Ops
Because this game blows.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

OldMemes posted:

So MGS 4 could work on the 360, but would need to be altered?

I got the impression that "altered" in the case of 4 would mean rebuilt entirely from scratch.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I am hoping that one day I'll see the complete MGS series on PC.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

OldMemes posted:

So MGS 4 could work on the 360, but would need to be altered? Shame they don't do the altering and just make the port, they'd make their money back, easy. Why not just just have a different team work on a port, like how the HD Collection was done by a different group? That, and a port of Portable Ops, and MGS 1 on Live Arcade would be great - it would be nice to have the full story in one place, you know?

The game's engine in general had a lot of problems due to the framework being in development when the PS3 specs were in a state of flux (ultimately having a downgraded GPU). The game even required hard drive installs in order to even play. These engine problems are what led to Metal Gear Solid: Rising (as it known back then) heading straight into development hell.

They had to bring in Platinum Games and their engine as a rescue mission due to technical hurdles and the lack of good leadership for the original development team. The FOX Engine was created in response to the development problems they had for MGS4/MGS:R in regards to engine performance and an efficient development pipeline. During their GDC conference, they made big deal of how easier it was to create and preview game assets when compared to how they did it before.

EDIT: I should note that the original Metal Gear Rising was their first attempt to make a new multi-platform engine but it faced a lot of development problems they needed more time for.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2013

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

voltron lion force posted:

It won't be the same without Hayter but hell this still looks amazing.

I honestly think they only did it to differentiate between the two Snakes, even though Solid is a loving clone and all..

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I honestly think they only did it to differentiate between the two Snakes, even though Solid is a loving clone and all..

If I remember right in MGS4 the voice actor for Big Boss was actually the father of Solid Snake's. Clearly who we need is Hayter's dad.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't think Richard Doyle and David Hayter are father and son.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Well, Doyle never thought of Hayter as a son at least. He did on the other hand respect him as a soldier... and as a man.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I actually meant the Japanese version. That's a detail that I should've made sure to include :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't think Richard Doyle and David Hayter are father and son.

Perhaps he should call him... brother?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Oh gently caress gonna take some time off work for this one. I dont even care if it doesnt top 3, this looks incredible. loving love Metal Gear Solid.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I remember when MGS4 came out me and a friend had an Metal Gear day (date?) and did made sure not to skip any cutscene no matter how painfully long. So realistically we spent the majority of that 24 hours on MGS4.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

I remember when MGS4 came out me and a friend had an Metal Gear day (date?) and did made sure not to skip any cutscene no matter how painfully long. So realistically we spent the majority of that 24 hours on MGS4.

With that 45 minute unskippable cutscene... They really ought to just make a fuckin MGS movie/show series like they did with Resident Evil, but better. It'd sell incredibly well. Honestly, I do kinda wish MGS 3 had more cut-scenes as well. I loved that entire Cold War feel and the game/story was just so incredible. It was so much more than the usual Solid Snake's depressing treatise on war and how life is a never ending battle.

Strayer
May 19, 2006

AASman posted:

By this metric, stealth has been dead in the Metal Gear series since MGS2, with the introduction of the tranquilizer pistol. Why bother sneaking and avoiding guards when you can just pop them in the head with a dart and stroll on through while the game gives almost zero fucks? The closest thing to a penalty is that in MGS2 it would trigger a caution stage if you tranqed a guy who was on the radio-in schedule and he missed his call. After all, if you wanted to take out a guard non-lethally in MGS1, you had to either punch him out or run up and choke him unconscious(With the added challenges of not accidentally judo tossing him or snapping his neck). Tranq guns are easy mode; all benefits with no downsides. If you had to be careful with them, if you had to hit vital cardiac areas and you had to worry about accidentally killing the target via overdose and if the guards wouldn't look at syringes sticking out of their foreheads and find no reason to be alarmed, then maybe the tranquilizers would be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of a COD-style red jelly(Which I'll believe when I see it, and not sooner) on the screen health system is not something I like the sound of, but I think it's ridiculous to bag on a game because it ADDED options to gameplay. Sure, you could go all Operator Time in MGS4 and cut a bloody swathe through all who oppose you, but you could do that in MGS3, 2, and even 1. The only difference between 4 and the rest was that gunplay no longer relied on short distance camera angles and lock-on systems. I think the tranq guns are cheap as all hell(and also responsible for a lot of people thinking something like that actually exists, and having no appreciation for how difficult it is to safely sedate a person under the best of circumstances), but I understand why they're in the games; to add more options to gameplay. That's a good thing.

Strayer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 12, 2013

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I was gonna come here to ask if, having played all the numbered MGSs, whether I was going to have to play Peace Walker to appreciate MGS5, but looks like I'm not the first and the answer is 'Yes do it'. Wasn't going to buy the Legacy or the HD games as I already own 2 and 3. Will a Let's Play not do?

Because it does seem like there's a lot of info I'm missing out on as I read this and the other thread and see people and things I don't recognise.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If the rest of the series is any indication you'll need to finish the game non-leathally/no alerts to unlock the coolest stuff like stealth camo and the infinite ammo bandana.

Fat Turkey posted:

I was gonna come here to ask if, having played all the numbered MGSs, whether I was going to have to play Peace Walker to appreciate MGS5, but looks like I'm not the first and the answer is 'Yes do it'. Wasn't going to buy the Legacy or the HD games as I already own 2 and 3. Will a Let's Play not do?

Because it does seem like there's a lot of info I'm missing out on as I read this and the other thread and see people and things I don't recognise.

You can buy PW separately from the PS/Xbox stores, and you should absolutely play it because it's a) great and b) MGS5 is going to probably need you to be familiar with it. Find a Co-op buddy because its way more fun too.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 12, 2013

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I've reconciled to the loss of Hayter since it is necessary to differentiate between the characters. This isn't Snake any more, despite the name below the health bar. It's Big Boss. CQC hug or no, he's become, or becomes, a villain and a different man to Solid.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Strayer posted:

By this metric, stealth has been dead in the Metal Gear series since MGS2, with the introduction of the tranquilizer pistol. Why bother sneaking and avoiding guards when you can just pop them in the head with a dart and stroll on through while the game gives almost zero fucks? The closest thing to a penalty is that in MGS2 it would trigger a caution stage if you tranqed a guy who was on the radio-in schedule and he missed his call. After all, if you wanted to take out a guard non-lethally in MGS1, you had to either punch him out or run up and choke him unconscious(With the added challenges of not accidentally judo tossing him or snapping his neck). Tranq guns are easy mode; all benefits with no downsides. If you had to be careful with them, if you had to hit vital cardiac areas and you had to worry about accidentally killing the target via overdose and if the guards wouldn't look at syringes sticking out of their foreheads and find no reason to be alarmed, then maybe the tranquilizers would be interesting.
You had to find ammo and silencers for it and you could only carry a limited supply so you had to use it wisely. It also wouldn't hold up in a fire fight. It also brought non-lethal stealth to the series which I love. In MGS2 and 3 at least, it was more balanced. MGS4 and Peace Walker you could just purchase as much ammo as you want or have you R&D unit give you a bunch. I really think on higher difficulties like hard and extreme waking up from a tranq should get you caution mode same as a knockout.

Peel posted:

I've reconciled to the loss of Hayter since it is necessary to differentiate between the characters. This isn't Snake any more, despite the name below the health bar. It's Big Boss. CQC hug or no, he's become, or becomes, a villain and a different man to Solid.
His voice isn't changing because of his age or his character, its an actor swap. Like Batman Keaton -> Kilmer. To the characters, Snake sounds as he always has. I know this because the Japanese actor, Akio Otsuka, is reprising his role.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have complete confidence in Sutherland after watching the latest trailer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AASman posted:

You had to find ammo and silencers for it and you could only carry a limited supply so you had to use it wisely. It also wouldn't hold up in a fire fight. It also brought non-lethal stealth to the series which I love. In MGS2 and 3 at least, it was more balanced. MGS4 and Peace Walker you could just purchase as much ammo as you want or have you R&D unit give you a bunch. I really think on higher difficulties like hard and extreme waking up from a tranq should get you caution mode same as a knockout.

Actually, I think Peace Walker balanced it the best by having the silencer degrade with each shot, and you only get one in a mission. You can upgrade it through R&D, but it's never unlimited like MGS2/4. Also, helmeted soldiers are very hard to take out without entering caution mode.

The fact that it needs to be reloaded after each shot and doesn't cause the enemy to flinch is what made it less useful in combat in MGS2, but it still had to be good enough to fight bosses with. They should have used some drop-off to prevent you from hitting really far away targets with it, though, especially in MGS3 where you can use a binocular trick to line up your shot perfectly. That's what the Mosin Nagat/PSG1-T is for anyway, which is balanced by the lack of a silencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

Strayer posted:

I think the tranq guns are cheap as all hell(and also responsible for a lot of people thinking something like that actually exists, and having no appreciation for how difficult it is to safely sedate a person under the best of circumstances), but I understand why they're in the games; to add more options to gameplay. That's a good thing.

After reading this in the HD Collection thread, I stopped using the tranq gun in PW (except for fighting dragons):

Dr.Oblivious posted:

You should really try playing [insert MGS game here] without using the any of the tranquilizer guns. It really changes the nature of the game for the better when you can't knock out every single enemy from long range.
When I next replay the other games in the series, I'll attempt them without the tranq as well.

TheMostFrench posted:

I think this might be how MGSV goes for me. I've never before played a Metal Gear game on Day One, but this time I'll be ready. Now, I just need a drat release date so I can clear that dayweek.

Renoistic posted:

I have complete confidence in Sutherland after watching the latest trailer.
Do you think he'll be the voice of both Ishmael and Punished Snake?

• Locked thread