Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Anyone here collect action figures? This new Skull Face is pretty cool looking:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/...ng&utm_content=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

please take this seriously games can be literature too you know

holy crap this is actually a thing you can do in MGS4?? :aaaaa:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. The statue's willy breaks if you do it several times in a row and Snake's like "wuh-oops". I'm disappointed MGS4 doesn't have more weird random one-time poo poo like that.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Subyng posted:

Yeah, it's during the first mission. When you find the statues, you can climb up, and (I think) press the action button. Do it three times for a surprise!

EDIT: The surprise has been ruined! *shakes fist*

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Also when would you ever get a chance to shakedown FROGS since they are always shooting at you?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Subyng posted:

Also when would you ever get a chance to shakedown FROGS since they are always shooting at you?

Outer Haven, I think.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh true. I always felt it was too risky since they were always in pairs and in general the AI (in hardest difficulty anyway) spots you from so far away it seems easier to avoid then or simply take them out. I did a shakedown maybe once in the entire game. Also it's not like you ever need to find supplies since you can always buy for drebin points which I also thought was kind of dumb. That eliminated the whole resource management aspect.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When you're tracking Naomi through the woods there's also quite a few you can sneak up on.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Subyng posted:

I always found the statue was funny but ultimately pointless, because when you enter the area the guards are already walking out of it. You have to wait for them to come around again to actually enjoy using it as a piece of camouflage.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Metal Gear Scanlon is making me want to give 2 another try real badly. If for no other reason than to shoot at every little interactive thing around.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Subyng posted:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

NienNunb posted:

Metal Gear Scanlon is making me want to give 2 another try real badly. If for no other reason than to shoot at every little interactive thing around.

MGS2 is honestly a pretty good game as long as you don't save very often.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Hell, just skip the cutscenes/forced codecs. I actually did a few run throughs a few weeks back collecting dog tags and had way more fun with it than I thought I would. Cleared Very Easy up through Normal and well into Hard, but I think I'm going to quit after finishing there. MGS2 gets silly difficult past very hard (extreme/euroextreme). Olga can literally kill you in a single shot, lots of bosses generally can kill you in two, and gently caress that entirel gauntlet of Arsenal Tengu toward the end of the game.

That said, there are still a bunch of good codec calls you can get if you actively call in while doing various things. It is still pretty much the king of "the developers thought of everything" trope. It's really worth playing in a way that you TRY to be a dick, then calling people just to see if there is any commentary for it.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

K8.0 posted:

But then how will you learn Otacon's nuggets of "wisdom"? (at least in the Tanker chapter)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Tanker is the only acceptable place to save.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Despite really being the weakest game in the series, I am still in love with MGS4 anyways. It still had so many great moments, plus the soundtrack was beautiful.

Spider Barbie
Oct 15, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyone here collect action figures? This new Skull Face is pretty cool looking:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/...ng&utm_content=

Holy poo poo, I'm so goddamn tempted to preorder this.

I was at a con today and they had one of the Punished Snake Play Arts Kai figures from SDCC, but it was €200 :(

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

YOUR ROOM WAS EMPTY JACK! EMPTY LIKE YOUR HEART!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I still have no loving clue what Rose's problem was. Like, Jack just didn't have stuff in his room? Okay? The African child soldier might just be a little traumatized, lady, this is probably as coped as he gets.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I still have no loving clue what Rose's problem was. Like, Jack just didn't have stuff in his room? Okay? The African child soldier might just be a little traumatized, lady, this is probably as coped as he gets.

IIRC the main problem was that he was full of problems and a lack of real coping, but pretending like he was normal and nothing was wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rose gets to be creeped on for the rest of her life by Colonel Campbell now so I think she got her just desserts for not trying to deal with Raiden's "I was a child soldier" and "I have killed dozens of people" stuff. Getting creeped on by Colonel Campbell is something I would not wish on any female Metal Gear cast member.

edit: There is a codec call in Rising where Raiden talks to Kevin about how it feels to have a wife and kid and it's kinda touching in a way. Even though he's a big mean robot man of destruction and war, he still sees his wife and child as an ongoing adventure. :shobon:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Rose is back in Rising 2. I wanna hear marital spats about cyborg home life.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Does Little John know his growly robot dad loves to murder people and used to beat his mom and get in bar fights for fun? Are we ever going to have a game about that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cobalt impurity posted:

Does Little John know his growly robot dad loves to murder people and used to beat his mom and get in bar fights for fun? Are we ever going to have a game about that?

Was that ever confirmed anywhere? I haven't ever heard it in the games but maybe I missed it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

It's one of the codec calls in MGS2. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the same one that talks about Raiden's room. He hit Rose for barging into his bedroom and flipping out about his lack of posters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. I take back the thing I said about her getting her just desserts then :saddowns:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

She also specifies that it was the first time Raiden had hit her, implying other incidents afterwards.
Then in MGS4 she talks to Snake about how after Big Shell, Raiden would come home drunk every night covered in cuts and bruises.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Clearly that time paradox movie from MGS3 Secret Theater was canon and it was really Raikov post-Volgin lovin.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gruckles posted:

She also specifies that it was the first time Raiden had hit her, implying other incidents afterwards.

I took it the other way, to mean that he had never hit her, and that was the only time he had lashed out violently at her. But I guess it could be read both ways.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, that was my interpretation as well. Her confrontation about it with Jack is the sort of thing you might say if you're concerned about someones stability, but still trust them enough to believe they will not ACTUALLY beat your poo poo.

Not that Raiden is not a violent nut case. That is the basis for his entire character arc.
First he denies it. Eventually he believe he over came it. Ha ha, nope, bar fights. Comes to terms with violence as his nature, but rationalizes violence is not inherently bad; you can use it for good. Then he proceeds confidently apply violence against morally ambiguous villains while believing he is morally justified. :downs:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, that was my interpretation as well. Her confrontation about it with Jack is the sort of thing you might say if you're concerned about someones stability, but still trust them enough to believe they will not ACTUALLY beat your poo poo.

Not that Raiden is not a violent nut case. That is the basis for his entire character arc.
First he denies it. Eventually he believe he over came it. Ha ha, nope, bar fights. Comes to terms with violence as his nature, but rationalizes violence is not inherently bad; you can use it for good. Then he proceeds confidently apply violence against morally ambiguous villains while believing he is morally justified. :downs:

To be fair, Revengeance is probably the most thematically consistent metal gear game, and the one with the least dumb plot (and yes this is a game where you play as a brain, brainstem and eyeball inside a ripped robot ninja body slicing enemies into millions of pieces alongside your robotic dog friend trying to stop Dick Cheney from inciting global war while the cheesiest, awesomest rock music plays at full blare. Nanomachines, son)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I think the story is about as consistent as the others, but gameplay-wise it's probably the most consistent due to the lack of extraneous detail. If it wasn't an action/Platinum game we totally would've had a huge Snake/Otacon/Sunny centered subplot within codecs to find out everything that's happened to them since we last saw them instead of the few mentions here and there and nothing too concrete explained. Rose and their son would've definitely appeared as well.

Instead they pared it down and gave the game a higher amount of focus.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Comic posted:

we totally would've had a huge Snake/Otacon/Sunny centered subplot within codecs to find out everything that's happened to them since we last saw them

Snake is dead, man. Miss him, miss him, miss him...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still wonder sometimes if the japanese DLC sword imbued with Snake's ghost is just a joke or if that's their way of going "yup he's dead". I mean Raiden does talk about him in the past tense in codecs but that could just be because he disappeared to go live his old man life out in solitude.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You act like Kojima has this poo poo planned out rather than just pulling poo poo out his rear end. Raiden talks about him in the past tense because it's less retconning when MGS 6 comes out where you play as Otacon infused with Snake's DNA and nanomachines.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Snake was an old-rear end man falling apart at the seams 4 years before Rising takes place. Even ignoring the whole FOXDIE/FOXALIVE bullshit, he had about 3 months before his DNA just couldn't divide anymore by design.

Solid Snake is dead and he was a boring character anyway. Big Boss, Raiden, and Ocelot are the star players here. They're who all the games are really about. :ocelot:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

cobalt impurity posted:

Solid Snake is dead and he was a boring character anyway. Big Boss, Raiden, and Ocelot are the star players here. They're who all the games are really about. :ocelot:

BORING?! He shot down a HIND with only a STINGER!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cobalt impurity posted:

Snake was an old-rear end man falling apart at the seams 4 years before Rising takes place. Even ignoring the whole FOXDIE/FOXALIVE bullshit, he had about 3 months before his DNA just couldn't divide anymore by design.

It was a thing that his incredible will was holding him together so maybe if he's enjoying his life as a civilian he's just basically forcing his DNA to keep working for a bit longer.

But yeah he's totally dead.

CJacobs posted:

I still wonder sometimes if the japanese DLC sword imbued with Snake's ghost is just a joke or if that's their way of going "yup he's dead". I mean Raiden does talk about him in the past tense in codecs but that could just be because he disappeared to go live his old man life out in solitude.

Actually I remember that everybody else spoke of Snake in the past tense, while Raiden still used the present tense.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Metal Gear Solid 6 will be about Daavid, Solid Snake's clone infused with Vamp's nanomachines to keep the almost-instant DNA decay at bay while VR hypnotherapy is used to grant him Solid Snake's memories. Only all of this will drive him crazy and thereby give Kojima entire new ways to mindscrew the audience with hallucinations and unreliable narrator trickery.

(And yes, I'm aware this is dangerously close to what actually happened in the AC!D games.)

Xerox Snake. VO'd by Ryan Reynolds, who was somehow convinced it's actually Deadpool 2: Mo' Mercs, Mo' Mouths. He acts suspiciously clueless in the Making Of vignettes - but there's a secret message encoded in the pattern of dots on the t-shirts he wears. Soon people will figure out that it's actually code for "CYPHER LIVES". OMG Twist! See you in MGS 7: Return Of The MGS3 Cast For Real This time, The Boss And The End Are Back, We're Not Even Kidding You Guys.

The series will then conclude with the game Kojima has wanted to make all along: Metal Gear Sokolov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

Actually I remember that everybody else spoke of Snake in the past tense, while Raiden still used the present tense.

Well, considering he is now the owner of Snake's soul and they're palling around together I guess that would make sense!

• Locked thread